Translation/Localization Screenshots thread

Alright anons, you know more about this topic more than I do. So I picked up an example from this thread here:

Post the difference of translations and localizations of certain Japanese video game titles and put them side by side and post them here so people will have the idea on how much "localization" ruined and tampered Japanese video games in the name of social justice and feminism. Just do it. Post it all here!

I don't have screenshots but Drakengard,Xeno saga, Dark Cloud and Legend of Dragoon should have some prime material for this

I'd argue MGS1 is an example of localization done right. There was a lot to be lost in translation had the script been translated directly.

localization isn't right period, mgs 1 has a lot of problems and there is plenty lost as it is. A lot of the delivery is also pretty bad.

Bumping so more anons will see this.

Naito is my favorite wrestler. You get a bump because of this.

The only acceptable form of translation is direct machine translation. It's the duty of the player to derive meaning from the game, not the duty of the developer to include language they can fucking understand.

Except for Mei Ling the guy in charge of the voice acting didn't bother to read her bio that said she was raised in California. Hey having a Chinese accent made no sense. He also made up tons of military jargon. Also he is good friends with the fantastic localizers at 8-4.

I think that CF tried to hard to make the dialogue in their translations funny and quirky.

Eh, I have seen worse. t。ハーフ

they're run by goons and the dialogue reeks of run-on garbage that tries too hard to ape Buffy. it's pure goontwitter speak.

So in all honesty, how many of you will actually attempt to learn nip? I am on the fence because no games I've played have fallen victim to the recent butcherings, but NieR Automata looks like it will, so I am really considering it.

Ain't worth being bilingual with both anglonese and moonspeak, and having moonspeak slowly overtake your anglonese until you unlearn anglonese and all you can speak, understand, and read is moonspeak. Also, moonspeak is a dead language.

Do unilingual people actually believe that this is a thing that happens?

well animu mixes engrish with moonspeak
And Old Joseph has best engrish.

Depends on if the TPP dies and if Hillary becomes president. I feel that if both succeed, it will coalesce into Japan becoming the new Cuba.

I belive that everyone should be able to learn hiragana, katakana and a few simple kanji. (Btw, 'wi' and 'we' are obsolete.)

To be fair, it's fully possible for someone to have an accent despite being born and raised in the States, especially if their parents are first generation who speak little if any English at home.

It's been years since I played anything in English.

Literally wrong.

To be fair, if you don't use your original language AT ALL it can decay - one of my students lived in America for 9 years and he could pass for a native speaker, albeit one with an accent, but his Japanese decayed slightly. He could still communicate, but he felt unnatural and uncomfortable speaking and hearing it when he first returned to Japan. That said, it's fully possible to keep both as long as you use both.

Fresh off the presses, the new Monster Hunter's foreignization replaces actual text with a petty jab at people who try to get good at video games.

Who is responsible for this? 8-4?

How easy is it to learn nip if I already know chink?

You'd think Capcom would have at least some form of self respect left.

From what I hear it's Capcom America's in-house team.

You'll have a head start thanks to kanji.

HAH no

I didn't take the screencap, I just reposted it.

Was it as bad as everyone expected it to be?

Also, if you're gonna talk about no self respect, use RE7.

The HUD is an absolute clusterfuck of numbers and elements obscured by onscreen shit (see pic), only two poorly thought-out play modes, incompetent weapon balancing leading to shitshow matches where the OHKO melee weapon sees the most use, dying sends you into spectator mod where you do fuckall until next round, sloppily handled spawning leading to loads of cheap deaths or easy wins because players are dropped next to mission objectives, poor hit detection, sometimes AI zombies go invincible…

Yeah, it was wet hot garbage.

top fucking kek
gaikotsu no ojisan became mr. skeleton-man-person.

Not easy, but easier. I think a lot of kanji has completely different meaning between Chinese and Japanese. For example, 要 means want in Chinese, but means need in Japanese.

Andrew Alfanzo. The Canadian Judge is based on his thick Canadianness apparently

I never knew the Golden Sun translation is butchered.

And to think I loved the dialogue and characters so much.

I feel cheated.

Are you being sarcastic?

Tell me more about banging metal parts together, user.

You're taking those out of context. Jill was being sarcastic, and Estelle was just mad because she can't understand technology.

So I was looking at some SNES translations when I heard someone blasting the Final Fantasy 4 fan-translation, apparently it's just the English localization with swears added, and they pointed out a website called legendsoflocalization.com. Supposedly it's a site by a guy who has done plenty of actual localizations for games and anime, and he looks into scenes that people send him.

I've not done much digging on who the guy is, but he doesn't seem to dislike 8-4's translations, going so far as to plug the 8-4 podcast in one article, but it seems more like he likes to make excuses for other translators as opposed to liking shit translations.