RTS Thread

Let's change that shall we?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333848988
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games
chan.sankakucomplex.com/?tags=ass_cutout high_resolution&commit=Search
steamcharts.com/app/228200
steamcharts.com/app/231430
twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods#Released_Major_Mods_for_Medieval_II:_Total_War_and_Kingdoms
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so which decade+ old game are you playing and why is it slightly different compared to this other click and drag game

Google is your friend or would you prefer some salt?

whatever feels more natural to you

JTF ever any good?

It's basically Men of War before Men of War was a thing. Pretty good actually. Somewhat overshadowed when it came out.

What do you want to see in a new RTS?
Suggestions I've heard

Huh, I'll check it out sometime, then.

The only thing I've played recently was Homeworld: DoK. It's a solid 8/10. Not perfect but fun as shit.

Ever play RUSE?

RTT > RTS

WARFARE

Prove it, nerd.

I'm going to keep asking this until I have friends a Holla Forums lobby to play in.
aoe2 game when?

Eh, i can play, but I'm not very good, AOE3 has my personal preference.

You know what stupid Spongebob comparisons meme? I really feel like making an RTS version, any suggestions?

lobby name - "The hacker known as Vee"
on steam

buddy, I have to reinstall, and i dont have time right now. However, im off tomorrow so i will have time a bit later.

ok, so i should have clarified, I can play later. I fucked up. Sorry.

You can kick my ass later, though

okay. y..you to.

I'll see you later then, I presume.

Why do you prefer AOE2 over AOE3 btw? (outside of fucking not being able to repair buildings)

I prefer the time period and the fact that its toaster compatible. I've not played much of 3 .

ah, I like 3 more because the level online is lower, somehow i catch on to AOE3 a lot better then AOE2. THere was a lack of nations though, from what, 30, down to only 14. Options were also a lot more universal, while in AOE2 there were certain tech trees that were completley UP/OP, but certainly very different. In AOE3, most options are decently the same

There's Wars of Liberty mod for AoE 3 that adds loads of new nations and diversifies them greatly, adding new takes and twists. Also religion selection, world war 1 tech for western nations and other goodies.

Shilling for a free mod, but fuck it. Mentioned it last thread and a few people seem interested so I'm curious if they tried it/liked it.

Company of Heroes 2 is a classic relic RTS game; good engine, decent assets, fucking terrible execution. Fortunately, sega let (limited) modding tools, yada yada yada, in the workshop there's a 'tuning pack' (mod) called Spearhead.
It's not a balance patch (which always seem to translate into 'Play the game my way, or you're punished' with nonsensical design decisions; I remember one in Dawn of War I hard capping the Leman Russ to 2 for the imperial guard. Because Balance, apparently, and not because they wanted to you feed guardsmen into the meatgrinder without proper IG levels of tank support.

Anyway, bitching aside, Spearhead is more 'historical realism'. This usually tanslates into naziboo mods for the CoH series but Spearhead is that rare gem; the allies and russians give Wilheim and Jerry as good as they get. Grenadiers armed with MP44 assault rifles are rapetastic, but a shitty squad of conscripts with russian smgs will happily melt the bastards, especially if the germans just ran around the corner onto them.
The Panzer IV is a decent tank, but the 76mm sherman, even the cromwell, has a good chance at killing them. The T34/85 will oneshot them. Small arms fire will shoot up halftracks and scout cars, so you don't just drive them into the mob without a second thought, and heavy machineguns like the .50 cal will turn them into swiss cheese.

The german heavy tanks are nasty, but the T34/85 hurts them, the Firefly, Pershing and Comet are to be feared and even the 76mm sherman is no slouch. The IS-2, KV-2 and ISU-153 are all especially nasty. The KV-2 and ISU-153 will usually stun/cripple/immobilise the target tank to boot. One shot from them into a defensive position will (assuming a hit) mean there won't be one. The IS-2 gets an HE shot to boot, and with the dushka 12.8mm pintal gunner, it will shred infantry and light vehicles without even having to fire the main gun.

So the game's a tankfest? Back to the historical aspect; tanks actually have shitty line of sight. Unless there's someone on top, they need spotters. Infantry AT teams autocamo in cover, so they can scamp alongside a stonewall right up to the tank if it's not got cover and let them have it with the bloody vicious AT weaponry: the panzershrek deserves the name. Two shots and a t-34 is scrapped. Three or four and the IS-2's had it. This swings the other way though; M9s are almost as bad (worse penetration) and the PIAT isn't too shabby either (and can fire over hedges with attach ground). The russians can even get access to the M9 but failing that, every side gets AT grenades that can crippling tanks and two will kill a medium tank (and even cheap crap like russian conscripts get them). Pair this up with dynamic line of sight and a tank won't know there's a pack of conscripts waiting with AT grenades around the corner until they're throwing them. If he sends infantry around the corner first, if the conscripts have the russian smg, they'll probably shrek that squad too.
The russian Tank Destroyer doctrine (commanders are out, doctrines are back in) even lets the entire squad throw an AT grenade each. Flamethrowers are nasty too; pintel gunners get killed, engines are damaged/destroyed, drivers and gunners get injured disabling movement/the main gun, you can blind the vehicle (no los off the unit for a bit). Some vehicles can even get decrewed entirely by them. A lone american infantry squad with an M2 flamethrower and M9 bazooka is something even a Tiger II fears in towns.

1/2

But wait, you need commanders to get units like the Pershing right?
No. Commanders are out, and Doctrines (6 per side) are back in. You don't need the commanders to get shit in Spearhead, so there's no pay-to-win. You want the Pershing? Pick the americans, pick Armor Company, tech up and build it.

Then, last but not least; artillery. You can't really deploy much, it's expensive to fire, it's accuracy is fairly dodgy and it has a very long cooldown.
It's also historically accurate: so it really hurts. The american Ranger Doctrine gets the Long Tom field gun and Panzer IVs are oneshotted if they're too close to the impact; you don't even need a direct hit. Even if it's not close enough to get hurt, the impact can rip off a track or stun the crew for a moment, making it an easy target for that m9 armed Ranger squad hiding nearby.. Assault guns like the Stupa/Brummbar and Sherman 105 can damage and stun tanks with their shots as well as smash open defensive spots.
Even 'small' guns like the 105mm howitzers hurt. And then there's the russian's 120mm mortars…

So, back to that question; is it a tankfest like many 'historically accuracte' mods are?
Depends on the map really:
-In the open? You're a tank's bitch.
-In bocage or town? You're infantry's bitch. (Seriously, someone converted Hedgerow Seige from CoH1; it's a deathtrap for vehicles in this mod)
-You're on the map? You're artillery's bitch.

It's got problems; there are bugs, the balancing can be ropey in some bits (I personally think it can be too hard to recover if a fight goes badly for you) but it's a damned site better than normaly CoH2 imo. If you have it in your library but don't play it, give this mod a go. Might make you not regret buying it as much anymore.

Might give this a shot.
Bought Coh2 as part of a sega bundle and immediately had the worst buyers remorse, what a piece of shit after the first one was so good.

someone tell me there is a homeworld clone out there, I already played ORB, it as below average, but at least it was something

I can play it with you right now, if you want. What's your profile?

Can't play right now and need to download everything first anyways.

So does Spearhead have a forum or a moddb page? Never saw it on moddb.

Ancient Space might be your cup of tea, but it suffers from a lack of skirmish mode and multiplayer

It does it through the steam workshop so the files and forum are here: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333848988

I genuinely think CoH2 is a better game than CoH1 with this mod. I didn't like CoH1 to begin with much (I know quite a bit about it historically, and stuff they did to things like the british churchills made my spine shatter from the cringing) but Blitzkrieg mod fixed most of it.
That mod has it's own set of problems though and the deathblow for me was the desynching I got with other players: didn't even give a synch error, so you'd fight a game, think you'd win and your friend would go "What, but I'm still fighting?"

CoH2's engine is far more robust; dynamic LoS so you can ambush, the winter maps are not popular but I like the extra layer blizzards give to a fight. Even if you disable them, the water freezing and snowdrifts can make for interesting tactical choices (and Katyusha/Panzerwerfer/Land Mattress firing onto an army on ice is hilarious).

Then, there's just the simple fact of: if you don't have X installed in a multiplayer game, you'll autodownload it. Not got the map? No problem, give it a minute and you will.

Problem with the workshop is if you sub to too much, it can take a very long time to verify everything. That's why you should unsub from most stuff after you download it. It also means that once you sub to Spearhead, it keeps itself updated.

I played an "RTS" called oil rush, its set on the sea and was ok, just capture oil rigs and build shit, I was wondering if there are more RTS games with qt airships and ships, with no land units?

thanks, user
no wonder the RTS gaming is dying we are surrounded by idiots

What are all the rts/t where infantry units will be squads and not single dudes?
Like Heavy Tanks in Conflict, C&C3, COH and Rise of Legends

Have you tried that Nexus Jupiter game?
I havent played it yet but its a space rts

The Hegemony games have supply line management

Fucking kek, but yeah RTS is surrounded by idiots. Just take what happened when an user here played OpenRA. The devs nerfed engineers into oblivion because of it.

Pic not related as still digging through my folders for the story

Actually, adding in a bit more shilling with some describing of some of the doctrines.

Soviets:
Like Conscripts? You're going to love this one then! Prices are slashed to 150mp (for context; engineer squad is 280, and your average 'fighting' squad is ~320) and they get more weapon upgrades!
The bad news is, retreat is disabled. You don't retreat, you die trying.
But Conscripts can only do so much; which is why you have the 120mm mortar teams for shattering defensive positions (and any light vehicles and tanks it lands on) the KV-1 heavy tank for those pesky Panzer IVs, and the KV-8 flamethrower tank for any infantry or machinegun emplacements your men can't get past.

He's got an 88mm Pak43 stopping your tanks? No problem. You have the 203mm seige howitzer.

Shock troopers to storm positions, the Dushka heavy machinegun to shred any light vehicles, trying to attack your men as they recover from the last assault, the T34/85 for his armour, and a KV-2 for that final 'Fuck You'. What's not to like?

Like tanks comrade? We like them too. As well as the standard T34/76 (which squads can ride and shoot from) you get an up-armoured version and the T-34/85. Tigers bullying you? Have a pair of IS-2s to show them soviet might. We'll even let you call in some IL-2 'flying tanks' for air support.
Short on fuel? No problem, we can divert manpower to get more to the front for you.

Amerifags:
I herd u liek tanks. You get cheaper 75mms, which again infantry can ride/shoot off and cheaper 76mms. You can deploy Pershings to handle the kraut's panzers, and if you run into a dug in position, bring up the sherman 105 to shut them up once and for all. Hell, keep it with the pershing; it's great at killing blobs of infantry and the shockwave from it's shots can maybe stun that Tiger.
Oh, and your basic rifle squads can get the M9 bazooka, just to make double sure those pansie-tanks get the message.

Elite infantry, the Long Tom for fire support, and the Sherman Easy 8. What's not to like?

British:
Airdrop .50 cals and get light/medium vehicles with the same 75mm gun the Cromwell has when everyone else thinks a 2cm autocannon or 40mm is the shits to make double sure your early push stonewalls Jerry.
When lategame rocks up you start to suck in a direct fight; so drop in fuel and ammo to help your teammates get their heavy tanks/artillery
up and fighting sooner, and keep fighting.

Show everyone why you don't piss off the irish.

Tommies get the m9 bazooka, tanks get the Tank Commander upgrade (los/accuracy/lots of lovely buffs) right off the bat instead of needing veterancy II, and you get a pair of Churchill Crocodiles with Comets and the AVRE for support. What isn't there to like?

Breaking 'character', this pisses me off as a britbong. The british vehicles are under the Armour Regiments, which is the umbrella everything else is under, and is actually a seperate doctrine (a more 'combined arms' or 'mechanised' style doctrine.) So you have the 'Entire vehicles of the british army' doctrine and the… tank…. doctrine. Sure. Whatever.

Rain on Jerry's parade with the two 25pdrs at HQ, 25pdr armed Sextons, the 105mm Priest, and for good luck, the Land Mattress (read: nebelwerfer).
Oh, and call in some offmaps to boot. A one trick horse doctrine, but it's a hell of a trick.

OKW got redone to the SS, so more personal favorite SS doctrines:
Fuck your line: the Doctrine. Basic builder units get mp44s and flamethrowers, you get assault troops to infiltrate/destroy dug in units, you get a Panther Command Tank to help with the push, 105mm howitzers to pummel the line, the stubby stug IIIe for smashing up buildings and if all that lets you down, bring up the Sturmtiger and send a 38cm rocket assisted shell of Fuck You.

Hold the line, incarnate; pak43 to smash tanks, 105mm howitzers for counterbattery and breaking assaults and the 2cm flak emplacements for everything else, and if he's being a cheeky cunt with units just outside your range or in an awkward location, slip a goliath out and send them to the moon.

Slightly different to the Wehr (no more Ost) doctrine; the tank roster isn't as good, but you 'lose' bigger stuff like the Tiger II in return for better indirect fire: you get the walking stuka for rocket artillery and can call in stuff like a stuka bombing strike.

For when you want to be the russian conscript doctrine. Send out the volksturm and hold out until the Tiger Ace rocks up to ruin the enemy's day.

Ost is no more: long live the Wehrmact!

For an upgrade you can build the 250 infantry transport halftrack with a a squad already in it… for about 20 more manpower. There's other stuff this doctrine can do (Panzerwerfers say hi) but you're not fooling anybody: you're here because you can essentially shit out a squad with a free transport.

105mm howitzer, the pak43 AT gun, the Stupa, and the little thing of infantry arriving on the battlefield with veterancy. If you don't fear infantry squads, this doctrine will teach you to.

Panzergrens get mp44s, flamethrowers and/or panzershreks (vet 4 only).
This doctrine can be summed up as 'Try not die.'
You get the stubby stug, which is good for bullying infantry and random houses they're hiding in, and the panzergrens are rock solid fighters but you're here for the Tiger II. It's expensive, your manpower income will be fucked and it will be worth it. Screen it, don't be reckless and it will slaughter anything in the open.
If that's not good enough, give it panthers, tigers and a command tank for support.

I liked coh1 even without the BK mod even though towards the end I could only play it with BK.
But I actually played the demo of coh1 right when it came out and even vanilla was a lot of fun.

shame it's unsupported, looks fun

I did enjoy it at fist, but the 'errors' became way too glaring. A bounce from AT guns always took off a bit of health, and they always outranged a tank, so you could (and I oftne did) sit there and just plink a tank to death. When I was goofing off against the AI I discovered you could just spam AT guns; vehicles would be destroyed and the infantry would spend to much time jumping around being thrown to the ground from a 'miss' you'd just kill them. Then there was stuff like the Knight's Cross squad, which is like a Purple Hearts or Victoria Cross squad and then there was the churchill tanks, such as the Crocodile that had a 6pdr gun even though the Crocodile was built on the MkVII Churchill and not the MKIV, the last to be armed with the 6pdr. It also had thicker frontal armour than a Tiger I (the front of a MKVII's hull was about 153mm. For context, the thickets part of the Tiger I was the gun mantle with 'only' ~ 120mm) and… yeah.
CoH2 is a massive improvement, certainly in terms of game engine. As with most things Relic though, they can't balance a game for shit.

Oil Rush is so unbelievably shit, you just have auto-produced units spawned by captureable points and basic rock paper scisors bullshit with some useless abilities and forgettable story.

Tbh I can only think of some Warcraft 3 maps like Naval Battle that are exclusively ship-fixated, although some historical RTSes like Cossacks 1 can offer some great naval battles too even if they're just an addition to ground combat.

I saw that pic, too. God damn I wish I saved it.

Long short of it was user used engineers to rush and capture an enemy base early game and got access to both Allied and Soviet tech trees. The game was then a long spiral of butt hurt and triumphant victories.

heh
Those were so incredibly op

Supreme Commander can hit your naval/aircraft fix. There are maps that are very, very clearly build around naval/aircraft warfare in that.

There's even a submarine that builds aircraft and works as an aircraft carrier.

Found it

C&C factions could fit (GDI, Nod, Forgotten, Scrin, Allies, Soviets, Yuri, Japan, USA, China, GLA).

Oh, I forgot to shill this ability in Propaganda doctrine: railway artillery.

Takes a while to drop but when it does…

When it lands on them, it will stop the attack dead. There won't even be anything left to bury.

Oh wow. I remember doing shit like that back when ra2 first came out. only retards would fall for such a strategy. How badly did they nerf the engineers?

Give me your profile anyway. We can play it later.

iirc they made them expensive, slow, squishy and take time to actually capture. They did everything but remove them.

These are also meant to be the "RTS MASTERS" that know totally what they are doing :^)

So you can see why RTS has gone to shit.

No wonder I can't get into RTSs (or even TBSs) anymore, only I thought I was the problem before and not everyone else.
Which is also probably why I still only play AoE 2 and HoMM 3, and normal matches in the latter take about 8 hours.

We live in a world of safe spaces where everyone thinks they are hot shit and don't allow anything to challenge that assumption.

Therefore if they are crap it's everyone elses problem but theirs.

Unless structure hp is 33% or lower the engy just damages it by 33%, not takes it over. You need 3 engies for a single unharmed structure.

It's not millennials who are in charge of RTS games, mate.

I guess you are right, I remember when I thought that Solmyr was the hottest shit in HoMM III until I learned the hard way (aka someone kicked my ass multiple times to prove how wrong I was) that Solmyr is an above average hero. I took it as a learning experience rather than bitching how it's unfair and OP like I see most RTS "pros" do today.
Reminds me of when I heard about the announcement for Blood Bowl 2 and the first thing I thought was "can't wait for scrubs to bitch about Chaos kill teams being OP in the first month of release".
Guess what? I was dead on.

you still want to play? I'll be available in like, one hour something

yeah. I'll be around in 1 hour ish from making this post. my id might have changed. I'll post again when I'm back.

Whats the point of Osthermarch or whatever its called in the Eastern Front mod for Company of Heroes?

I cant see what is that faction about, or its strong and weak points.

They just wanted a Germany equivalent for the mod, and it's still being heavily tweaked.

But what is that faction about? What is its gameplay philosophy?

I tend to fuck around in coop with a mate around thing time. And he's currently making some dinner, so if you hurry the fuck up you'll get to be dropped right into the thick of it with us.

I am yet to play any recent versions of CoH EF, but it's main philosophy always was and remains "It should be a fun to play against Red Army with". That's the only direction they based it on.

And we're off. Catch you in a bit

well seems like I just missed you. anyway here's the lobby info if anyone is interested.
The hacker known as Vee

Games open if anyone else wants to join.

D.Va avatar?

nope, but lobby its up again

Fuck this, add Biohog to steam.

added

Actually, got an idea. Create an RTS group on steam?

depends, i only got AOM, AOEII and AOEIII

Best RTS here what up.

I only meddle in Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 editors, and play old pirated crap like modded Zero Hour.

Well, I'm thinking if we have a group we can yell at each other, we can find someone with something we've got. I don't have AoW but I have SupCom, CoH1, CoH2, and probably others I can't remember right now.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
AOE WITH Holla Forums WHEN
ORANGE IS BRO
ORANGE IS TRUE TEAMMATE

I'd play some AOE2 if I'm ever available while I see someone in this thread hosting.

we're in one.

bery nice, but were just 2

we're playing a 2 v 2 now…or were those guys randoms? at least 3 were from around here, anyhow.

ah, well i just joined the thread so

did someone say
B Y Z A N T I N E S ???

im heading to bed, pretty much. Was fun, ill catch you guys tomorrow.

hey, last game it was the other way around

cant wait for an user 4 v 4

Im hosting one: Holla Forums's funtime palooza: electric boogaloo

passord: something something byzantines are top tier idk

Somebody join, we need a fourth player

But that's not how you say Magyars.

Magyars are highest tier
horse spam all day everyday
don't even need gold

can't help, im asleep right now

Under appreciated dubs of truth.

well yellow got fucking raped, gg gray, shame you went against byzantines, otherwise you may have won

Hit me with your best singleplayer RTSs, Holla Forums.

Is Homeworld Desert of Kharrak any good? no I'm not going to buy it but I just wonder if it's worth a pirate and I'm aware it's not similar to the first two.

Battle Realms.

Nah. My macro was terrible, counter-pressure would kill me if it were fucking militia. At least it was interactive. These games are the only time I even open an RTS any more so it stands to reason if I get trashed.

protip: pikes do wonders against mounted units

In order to do that I need to be macroing well enough to afford the pike upgrade and not have 1000 food and nothing else (which is why I was building scouts).

yeah, acropolis can be a bitch for wood, you have to go down the slopes as soon as possible to secure the reousrces, preferably the space between your teammate and you

I didn't even notice we were on Acropolis. Thought it looked a bit weird for Arabia but didn't make the connection.

lol, once you have that gray slope around your base its acropolis

shiet better get me some pikes then, or halbs, or camels

cool
I just started playing Heroes of Annihilated Empires and so far It seems pretty fun.
I've been playing some scrimishes to get into the swing of things and zombies seem really fun to send a never ending (albeit very slow moving) line into the enemy base.
the catch is they are so durable that by the time you kill one the next one is already farther into the base.
Of course you have to send some litches or werewolves or ghosts or something because they are going to get kited.
Has anybody else played this that might give me some tips?

You always needed 3 engies since RA1, and it was also an option in Sun, RA2 and other games. What was changed in ORA was that they also need about 3 seconds outside of the building to be able to enter it and they also reduced all health, speed and armor of the unit entirely to the point Medium tank cannons, which are supposed to be 100% useless against infantry compared to Mammoth or Light tank cannons, can instagib them.

You needed 4, I'm pretty sure. 3 to reduce it to red and one to cap it. Usually you could run 5 to also instantly heal it. I mean, casually.

You needed 4 if the building got insta-repaired as the engineers went in like the RA AI usually does, otherwise just 2 would get it to 33% (red health) and the third engi would cap it.

Y'know I think you're right. I was thinking the fifth was a 'left over' after capping, but they're leftover after repairing.

This game is great fun when you have the right mods to add to the lack of content. It's like Warcraft 3 turned up to 11 amd I fucking love running around as a hero fucking up entire civilisations with a band of greedy kikes I paid off.

Also anyone playing AOE 2 on Steam is a kike feeding fucking idiot, hang yourselves.

THE GODDAMN CHURCH, PARKER

What's the best Total War game, and why is it Medieval II?

I never got the appeal of this game.
Isn't it a bit more RTT?

really good single player and it looks great

I tried

guys do you got aoe2 going on
and what version?

HD, get the expansions, all of them, theyre fantastic

shit nigga do I look rich to you
that's like 10 bucks for wewuz kangs

Wew lad what a fucking cuckold

That's pretty good user.

You don't have to get the expansions, the game still lets you play with people who have the expansions. You just can't use their civs.

I would be lying if I didn't say that it took me quite a few tries to get into the campaign.
There was a lot of abuse of healing and summon spells I tell you what.

but is there a host?

Where did all those games go, why did the niche between Real Time Tactics/Small Scale Strategy and outright Grand Strategy die ?

MOBA's killed them.

Lot'sa things killed them

The casual surge and focus of online multiplayer really dampened RTS. Several games tried to dumb down and go console and were all basically failures as RTS, either because they were not RTS, because they weren't good or because console controls suck for RTS (C&C4, Red Alert 3, SupCom2, that Warhammer fantasy one). Dumbing down for RTS mostly just turned it into RTT, and with no easy innovation to leech off of, the developers gave up and moved on. Starcraft did more damage to RTS than ASSFAGGOTS. It drove this 'competitive esports' flag into the genre where it had no place of being. Starcraft 2 wasn't a huge success to the level of Starcraft: Brood War, so if Starcraft 2 can't make it, why should anyone try to make a new RTS?

Fact of the matter is, developers were lazy. Paradox found an easy way to make a lot of money making a series of shallow games then adding sandbox-y content to them without adding any complexity in the form of DLC for dosh. ASSFAGGOTS popularized the microtransactions f2p model. Developers haven't thought of a good way to do those things in RTS.

Well, CoH and Total War were both pretty decent.

I hate these. Also isn't CoH an RTT?

New AoE2 game?

So basically it died from casualization and Starcraft BUILT FOR E-SPORTS ?

That really sucks, I'm sure that there's a place somewhere for some sort of "Grand Real Time Strategy", blatantly massive in size and scope compared to a RTT

But I feel that at some point RTS devs dropped the ball and just wanted to make Starcraft clones with a good paint makeover. Age of Empires 3 and Empire Earth 3 both scream this

Create one?

it's up, name is party Holla Forumsan

and my game crashed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games
Just read through that list and see the change that occurs mid-2000's. 2012 had two RTS games

2012 was the worst year for entertainment media that I think has ever happened, music and movies included.

And you're going to get it back up, right?

k

remember that microsoft entertainment is still the publisher

Anyone here remember KKND?

nope. too busy downloading shit

shit well i better just stick not having fun then is there, between ea, ubisoft, bethesda, steam, companies that localize like hell, microsoft, sega, i might just as well not buy anything thats fun regardless, christ its like these hippie faggots that endlessly drone on about every little thing that you do/have is someway, somehow, killing the whales and forcing a gorillion of african children into hunger/slavery/whatever

HD is shit, you can get the original+conquerors campaings off a torrent in less than 5 minutes and the forgotten expansion for it is free and enables a no-cd patch. And if you say b-but muh multiplayer Voobly is a thing.

So yes, you are infact a corporate cuckold if you pay up to 30+ bux for an alpha version of a game and expansions which are actually free.

Having a meltdown or something? Everyone knows it's shit.

Why did peopke buy HD again? It had more bugs at launch than Age of Kings 1.0. Maybe it's just because of steam sales?

I bought it during summer sale and got everything for under $10

Only ever played the second one. The one with the silly third faction and the cool tech bunker units. Also liked the idea of units that you could customize.

That'd make a better Fire Emblem game, user. Monster girls aren't made for dying.

Shit i dint realize that the kangs expansion was free
K dude

Gurofags need love too, user

My units do this annoying shit where they know where enemy walls are even if I can't see them, and when I tell them to go somewhere, they'll do weird shit. I had a few villagers wasting time running around doing nothing on a black forest map because I tried to move them towards someplace I was walled at.

The alternative is they walk into range of a wall, then effectively slide along the wall until they realize that its fully blocked off. Back then it was just easier to path that way.

I'd like them to at least spot the wall before trying to take the longer path.

Tell that to the guys in charge of the HD version who are fully able to program something like that but refuse to.

they dont have to die a bloody horrible death, they can explode into confetti or whatever. works for age of ethanols doesnt it?

It is.

It's /k/'s wet dream, given the details.
Every single weapon and bullet is taken into account. You infantry even has pistols for when they run out of ammo for their rifles.

Wargame: Red Dragon. From the devs that made R.U.S.E. (Eugen Systems).

An RTS where you setup your army ahead of battle, and logistics is the difference between glorious victory and your ruined anus. No base building, hardcore LOS and recon required.
If any of you nerds like the idea of marshaling late Cold War era forces, managing supply and logistics as well as forward recon units while Russian tanks split your asshole apart and your teammates send their overpriced American helicopters into enemy AA to die, then this is your jam.

I recommend Red Dragon as it has a moderately active player base, not sure about the previous two games in the series.

If it seems too autistic to play, add me on steam and I'll give you a gentle massage. There also exists a crew of hardened autists who play semi-regularly.
Misojner

I'd like to point out that I only do that with Russian Hellen Compters, because I got a swarm of angry killerbees and if one drops, there is a dozen more. Also because it's fun.

I would never send an Apache to die in AA, stop your fan fiction writing. Why don't you put some more recons in villages where no enemy ever goes?

Webm that refused to upload earlier.

Good night, sweet prince.

Is that you, Lego-Man? Pity your soldiers aren't made out of Danish plastic, it would support your tactics better.

Enjoy losing your FOB's.

Its fun user but god damn is it unbalanced
Your best bet is to go undead

no, it had base building, RTT's have NO base building

legoman should make less cuckoldry porn

I hope there's another tonight, I'll play all day to not be this fucking rusty any more. Now, all I have to decide is Celts ,or Byzantians…

For those who have not yet been inspired to buy Wargame: Red Dragon, let me shill harder. The devs are still supporting the game years on, and have brought out a DLC option to play as the Dutch, and soon as Israel as well. Finland and Yugoslavia will be coming in on the dirty commie side soon as well.
Ov vey, goyim! You need to get out there and fight for Israel, your greatest ally!

???

Legoman's the pen name of a smut artist. Do you know ANYTHING? I bet you don't even know InCase is posting on the chans and does drawfag requests. Wow.

RTS games where you can drop hot sticky loads all over unpleasant foreigners are best.
Like in Wargame Red Dragon where you can napalm buildings full of capitalist lapdogs / communist scum, and watch them rout and flee into your oncoming tanks.

Oh, the poster I was replying to used to mess around with some lego miniatures game. Yes, I am a paid shill admitting to calling in other paid shills to admire my paid shilling.
I-I don't know who InCase is either. I might have to look these individuals up.
For research purposes

perfect

i am amused. well done

fucking beautiful

What are you, some kind of new friend?

How does Age of Empires 3 scream starcraft? apart from the popcap for each unit changing the game is more similiar to AoE rather than SC

Rather it came across to me as the devs trying new ideas, like export, unlimited food and gold, the city shipments and experience

I cant really see how it screams SC clone

M2 was pretty good but I actually liked Napoleon quite a bit as well.

Is the user that shilled the coh2 mod still here? He never left his steam ID.

the cards were such a fun mechanic, i dont know if aoe3 was the most well made age of empires but it entertained me for a very long time due to that system and generally fun pace.

Its not the most well made AoE games because it doesnt follow the same aoe formula, but it does try something new, which admittedly isnt a good idea when making a sequel
but it didnt stop the game from being gud, it just pissed off all the AoE2 fanboys which gave it a fuck ton of negative attention

So what do you guys think when we will get a new Metal Fatigue? A great game like that surely is going to get a sequel, right? right?

Those "brave boys" in the upper pic directly helped create the reality in the lower pic

Breddy gud

It actually works surprisingly well!

I actually wrote my own crack for that game.

Anyone can remember that one RTS that looked like Warcraft 2? I'm pretty sure it had "Wyrm" in its name.

Wyrmsun
Super cheap on Steam, receives occasional updates.

Thanks, user.

So, anyone up for some age of empires II later?

No. Fuck this shitty game. Everything keeps getting stuck on something.

RIP spearhead user

Used to play this a lot but pretty much forgot how to play. All I remember doing is being the player that knew how to hold the fucking line and that line would be held. I do remember some cucks cheating in the game and changing the game files so they could spot anyone on the map so it kind of put me off playing competitive for a bit. Quite literally guys were deploying zero recon units yet spotting my entire forces regardless of where they were, even if they were forested up.

Also despite what people may say, I think R.U.S.E. was actually far better than Wargame, mainly cause the pacing was better and less over reliance on recon units. Plus fuckhuge artillery barrages

I thought wargame achieved RUSE's level after its been heavily modded, or am i thinking of the wrong game?

honestly the wargame community went to shit really fast, especially after all the bullshit with the marshalls and Eugen refusing to do anything about a matchmaking system

I like aoe3 because it doesn't have my fucking villagers and my units getting stuck on something all the time.

But user, what about the shitty AI?
Surely that must count for something right?
unless you only play multiplayer, then its all great

I can't speak for multiplayer cheating, but it doesn't seem to happen anymore. That said, I haven't played a vast amount of PvP (only a few dozen games), so I may well be wrong.

Eh, there's pros and cons to matchmaking. One issue is that the community has a lot of people who have been playing for a while and who know the game very well, so that can make it an uphill battle for any newcomers. Also chat spam about Trump or whatever other dank memes people care about at the moment.
Not sure what the bullshit with Marshalls was please enlighten me.

Either way, I play a fair bit against the AI with other autists. It's hot gay messy fun. As such you should buy the game and add me on Steam so we can all perform ritualistic Taiwanese wicker-basket weaving ceremonies together.
Misojner

Characteristic traits for RTT is

If game has at least 2 of those, it's considered clear RTT.

Not sure about that user
I'm pretty sure Having base building with no resource gathering and paying for units with slowly replenishable limit still counts as an RTS

I don't entirely agree. I feel like Dawn of War 2 is more of an RTT than an RTS. It's more about positioning what units you have rather than your accumulation of technology and advancement through resource generation. It focuses on squads and skills, combat traits, rather than physical expansion.

Wikipedia (not that Wikipedia is right, more that the definition is useful as a point to argue from) has RTT as:
"It is differentiated from real-time strategy gameplay by the lack of classic resource micromanagement and base or unit building, as well as the greater importance of individual units and a focus on complex battlefield tactics."

I'd say the important bit there is the focus on tactics, RTT is ultimately about smaller scope. DoW2 was a mid-size RTT, CoH2 is a large-sized RTT that verges on RTS as although individual squads are important, you can make a comeback even if you lose your veterans (although this comeback may be unlikely).

Honestly for me all of those things fit within RTS except with the lack of base building
Take WC3/WBC3/SC for example, all of those games brought about a greater importance for individual units, less so maybe with SC but heroes were massively important for the other two as well as WC3 having and utterly shit unit limit

Tactics are pretty much all RTTs are about, however i dont think it solely relies on having a smaller scope than conventional RTS's
I'm pretty sure you could have an RTS that has a smaller scope than RTT's and vice versa.

However i think everyone forgets that RTTs are a sub-genre of RTS rather than a distinct separate group
Technically RTTs can be called RTS, however its better to sum them up as RTTs as it more adequately describes them

I fucking hate LOL, not only did they rip off Dota, they also came up with that cancerous name MOBA
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena describes hundreds of different games and there are better genre names they could have used but no they had to pick the most general summerisation of what the game details. Its ambiguous as cancer and the faggot who thought of it should be lined up and shot. RTS gets away with it because its been around for an absurdly longtime and existed before we had so many disctinct types of games
my personal preference for this genre is: AOS

I'm well aware, the author has a thing for brown elves and as disgusting as it is i like his art style except all his faces are the same

fuck wrong pic

True, Warcraft 3 then sits on the lines a bit there. The definitions are wonky at best; that aside, fuck vanilla Warcraft 3. Fun campaign. Horrible skirmish and multiplayer. Inb4 >opinions

You could have a small-scope RTS with a focus on unit groups and combined arms over individual unit importance, true. I can't think of any examples offhand, but it's possible.

League saw the opening and ran with it. I dislike the game, but once Dota's popularity took off, the foundation was laid for HoN and LoL to come in and add their shit to the pile.
COD is a MOBA thanksto the hilariously loose definition. :^)

I've some hope for DoW3 coming out and putting base building back in and larger scope to the series. That said, their few words about wanting 'heroes to play a stronger role' and a brief mention of MOBA's made my hackles rise.
Fuck off.

But at least we can all come together over rad Eldar pictures. Taufags get out GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEE

Goddamn this is properly the best thing I've heard all day
Also Eldar are truly delicious

COD is also an RTS and RPG thanks to the hilariously loose definition, user.

there is no strategy in COD, not in tournaments and most certainly not online

Sorry, COD is an RTT then.

I can live with that

So long as my point was understood.

does that eldar have a butt window?

I would presume so

Cleavage cut-outs for the arse. I have a new fetish, thanks.

truly ass cutouts are glorious
chan.sankakucomplex.com/?tags=ass_cutout high_resolution&commit=Search
may i suggest Posterior cleavage as well?

How come no ones posted any RTS charts yet?
why?

I'm going out on a limb here because I have tried looking for something like this with no avail. is there a race or faction thats like the "spartans" of the warhammer universe?

It would be the furries, they're the closest i can think of
Deathkorps of krieg are pretty close though, or maybe catatroopers

All Eldar must be spanked!

Is Homeworld remaster irredeemable gearbox meme shit or is it worth a pirate?

If you niggers haven't played a round of Dune2 in your life, you should seriously consider ending it

Also any tips on how to stop Metal Fatigue from crashing constantly? Aside from >lol play it on your 20 years old computer
I was surprised to find the game actually working (including sounds but no music) on my pc yesterday, totally forgot I got it to work at some point but the joy didn't last long with the crashes.

Also I stumbled upon the Metal Fatigue steam group and it seems there's some dude who wants to develop a spiritual successor to it with his brother and nephew or something. Calls it "Project conflict" apparently, but there's really been no progress and I expect none. You can see two screenshots of something he made in unity and some concept art.
Well, I suppose this is still better than no chance of a sequel at all.

Worth pirating for the mods, but even then you can still get most of the good ones with vanilla HW.

I'm not really interested in mods, I just heard that memebox has done some stupid rebalancing with the remaster. Especially with HW1.

(Checked)

Nice trips. Then you are best just getting the originals cause yes, they did fuck the balance up. Mainly cause they thought that translating Homeworld 1 over to the Homeworld 2 engine was a good idea despite Homeworld 1's engine being infinitely more advanced!

So gone are projectile physics, formations, unit pathfinding etc.

Virtual machines are your friend for old games. At that age, it will probably run fluidly even with virtualization.

What other companies are there, apart from EA and Gearbox, that can touch any good franchise and instantly turn it to shit.
C&C4 still hurts

Ubisoft comes to mind. SEGA as well.

well it IS a Real Time Shooter

What good franchises?

Ubisoft may be shit, but as far as I know they've only ruined their own franchises like Far Cry or Ass Creed.

I'm about to download Tom Clancy's End War.

What other strategies actually feature modern units besides C&C Generals and Wargame Red Dragon fucking cock sucking piece of shit, the game was supposed to have custom made campaigns, which doesn't really have up-to-date stuff.

I just want to roll over enemies with current-tech tanks.

What good franchises?

Daily reminder that Ubisoft already raped it with the liberal application of F2P.

Anno, for instance.

user dont remind me

Raping the corpse of Heroes of Might and Magic is a big fucking deal.

It just doesnt stop does it?
this pain….

2070 was the last decent Anno game. I will keep reminding you about this every single time. The cult of Grievers needs new members.

I wish aoe2 let you queue villager actions. The default villager AI is retarded.

I subscribed to the spearhead thing linked in this thread but it doesn't seem to load the mod?
How2install?

It seems that we will never agree on one definition.

For me there was just a spectrum between RTS and RTT.
Pure RTT like Blitzkrieg and Ground Control barely resemble the resource play of CoH or DoW.

I only came to shill for Red Dragon and try get some people to play with. Now my dick is raw thanks to Eldar butt-windows.

There should be a "Special Place in Hell" category for SotS2.

Taking RTT and RTS as a spectrum makes sense. That's enough reasonable debate, time to call everyone a jew/shill/nigger.

Why is RD still so expensive? I though the game is ded?
I really want to get into this game and play with friends because the online mode is infested with cheaters.

It does go on sale now and then, or you can try Kinguin. I've had a good experience with Kinguin, but get the buyer's insurance just in case, and buy from a seller who has sold a lot of keys.

I'm not sure if online is cheat-central or not, but I'm becoming paranoid. Either way, I play with a few other autists against the AI for shenanigans, meme decks builds, and no homo hot fun.
If you get it, add me on steam, nerd.

Call this shilling but whatever

Company of Heroes 2 got better after the last patch. They nerfed one of the german factions hard while buffing the soviets.

I quit playing for 4 months but got back after the patch, and it's improved significantly for me . A lot could still be done though.

Is it any better than CoH?
probably not

I didn't play the original CoH but I will say this:

The issues of CoH2 are balance issues. Panther armor, soviet tank penetration, unit cost-performance etc. Last patch made it significantly better took them 3 fucking years

The engine and graphics are very sound. In 1000 hours of gameplay I got all the worthwhile commanders for free as drops Sega being sega they have a lot of useless filler stuff for plebs.Also you can now convert duplicate items into supply points to buy stuff at the in-game store.

Honestly I'd recommend MoW 2 if you want realism, but it has a VERY steep learning curb and the online play is brutally hard. Consider COH 2 if you want a game where tanks/units don't die in one shot good micro still wins battle though, it's not that arcade-ish

Welcome to RTS threads user :^) We haven't even started on the Sisters of Battle yet!

why not?
its not expensive and you can just pirate if you want
Its also the better game is dont count that its got more RTS aspects than CoH2

sisters of battle are best sister

Why not play with spearhead? It makes it more MoW-like which is a good thing.

I got CoH2 in a steam sale along with western front DLC. Got brits and some commanders for free from a pal.

Also the CoH servers are almost empty.

user I disagree, it's really not hard to find a match. There's quite a number of people still playing.

steamcharts.com/app/228200
steamcharts.com/app/231430

As much as I respect MOW, hell I have it, it's not the kind of game I like to play every day.

It's intense. I can't play that shit while listening to podcasts or eating fries. Tell me to git gud whatever but for me it's too intense for relaxed play except when playing against AI as a tank in direct control mode

Any pointers you can give? I remember trying virtual pc once and it being complicated / not working properly

Deldar scare my peen.

Try Virtual Box, I found it pretty intuitive.

Spearhead user will return in the Avengers.

This is a great game, too bad they rushed it.

The dual-play mechanic is fucking awesome, running around with a hero and recruiting tribal creeters to harass the enemy non-stop is really satisfying.

I remember one time i was with the death knight hero, with my last life, cornered around some mountains (was playing rpg-mode, no bases), and when i was about to die, suddenly a shitton of the neutral tribes i subjugated spawned their armies and rusehd the enemy, it was so fucking cool kite and harass the enemy army as my savage allies atacked them from all sides at once.

For anyone who play this game to have an idea of the size of the force, i had the entirety of the neutrals allied to me, that was 6 gnoll tribes, 2 orc holds, 1 harpy thingy ( i dont remember the name, i thin k it maybe called harpy nest, and fucking 8 goblin enclaves.

Shit was cash.

Thats not a tomato user

also is there anything more scary than this fucker?
I thought spiders were bad then then i found out they came in mechanical herpes form

The biggest problem with the game is that the teams were way to absurdly unbalanced

Undead pretty much stomped anything and then it went the team with the steam roller, the yeti team and then the shitty elf team

Honestly it would be on my top games of all time if it wasn't so bad in those aspects, at this point i would rather play WBC3 yes i know thats also unbalanced

Homeworld Remastered.
Not even kidding.

Thanks, I'll give that a try

Neither is that a cat, brainiac

They aren't so bad once you find your way around them and know that they're easily removed by repairing the vehicle or just shooting it to bits before the drone can do its work, thus destroying both. Though admittedly you'll have to sacrifice some vehicles if you're unlucky.
They're more scary against infantry though, kinda like guard dogs on steroids.

Always kinda liked them though, although they're too frail to just send into anything more than 1-2 tanks or a squad of infantry with a move order. Now if they were able to go invisible briefly or to burrow and then jump out at passerbys that would be quite handy and dangerous

Jesus Christ user, that would be terrifying
I already hate the soviets because of their fucking blimps, giving them invisible spider bots would secure their spot as the strongest team

That shit cuts out content and several things you can do in it
Just stick to normal homeworld unless you want to be disappointed although i havn't played the remastered one in a while so unless they've fixed since its probably shit

AOE2 game Saturday neet Night edition

where? steam
lobby? 'The hacker known as vee'
don't forget to make it obvious you're a meme lord, last time we had randoms join

count me in. Will start up the old game again

dont mind me just best wonder coming through

what game is that from?

Rise of Nations

Rise of Nations

Damn straight.

Enjoy reaserching those upgrades like a cuck
I have the clear economic advantage by 500BC

Who COH2 here?

I'm still here.

Isn't that guy wearing Wehrmacht insignia?

It's from the spearhead mod. Don't think there is an image for SS troops in the game so you can't change it unless you make a new one or something.

Yeah, his Kragenspiegel (The things on his collar) look like regular Wehrmacht, maybe an officer.
SS usually had the ss-runes on there or leaves (or feathers?) at higher ranks

Yes, but spearhead as said. The mod makes sure the factions are more rounded (brits have a mobile mortar team, SS gets a sniper, ect)

If the russian sniper team hits vet 2, they get to have the second person get a sniper rifle. So you have 2 snipers for the price of one, as it were.

Oh, that makes sense.
I loved and played the hell out of CoH1. Bought CoH2 a few years back and didn't touch it again. It's just lacking somehow.

From what I've heard that mod is pretty good. Maybe I should give it a try.

Scroll up, I was shilling the shit out of it before:

And yet you never dropped your steamid, it is like you enjoy playing alone

Tempted to play Warzone 2100 again anons. Any mods worth downloading?

Did anybody try Halo wars 2?

Stop liking things I don't like.

Is this worth playing at all?

I remember playing it when it first came out and thinking it was super rad, but I'm not sure if it was actually good or if I was just impressed by the gwafix.

1 is good for the campaign, 2 is better for the skirmish games. One of the few games I'd install Origin for, but EA seems to pretend these games never existed for some reason.

I was super rad, that and the sequel, I haven't played it in a long time either though.

Which youtuber is this? I have yet to find good videos of this game

It's fun, albeit a little rock-paper-scissors with some "I summoned Sauron, your argument is invalid" thrown in for good measure.

Not youtube, unfortunately. It's from a game I was in, with the crew of autists I usually play this game with.
Zippo-chan did well.

For youtube, Razzman usually has some decent videos and sometimes breakdowns as well.
Still can't replace a crew of spergs talking shit and testing meme decks in comfy AI matches. You should join us.
Add Misojner on steam, it only hurts the first time

Why?

I've put in about 1.05k hours into Total War Attila and I feel like there's little else to do now besides play with other people online.

Game needs better diplomacy and upgraded AI and engine but I keep coming back to it for some reason. Guess it's just my niche

Also roll

Should I play Attila or Medieval 2?

Medieval 2.
It also has some nice mods, for example Third Age, a LOTR mod

Good games EA made by accident Thread?

Thanks user, I appreciate your offer but I must decline for now. My current computer is so shit I can't even run M&B: Warband on the lowest settings. However in the meantime I'll add you on steam and who knows, maybe my new computer parts come in less than a month.

PC upgrade feels. Wargame anytime. Autism all the time.

EA had a few decent titles in the early to mid 2000's. "Few", but they were there. Hell, C&C3 wasn't all that bad I bought C&C4 forgive me father I have sinned and sinned badly. I'm not defending EA, I swear!

Gentlemen, post some artillery!

THE AI IS A CHEAT!!!
A CHEAT

Who Total War here?

M2 of course

Which Total Wars we talking?

Not in the mood for LOTR.
Any realistic mods around?

twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods#Released_Major_Mods_for_Medieval_II:_Total_War_and_Kingdoms

Thanks, I also can read long lists of things. I want to know if there is one that anyone would recommend.
The last mod I tried completely fucked up the game. Then someone said it doesn't work with the steam version.
I would like to avoid shit like that.

Thought I'd posted my steamid.
Biohog

Which one?
Fucked up the game how?
Broken Crescent
Stainless Steel
Sicillian Vespers
Pretty much that entire fucken list there

They all should work with steam
if it doesnt replace the main game it will be in in its own folder in the mod folder just rename that folder to whatever expansion you want to replace (SicilianVespers to crusades) and you're done

They update the steam version after gamespy died so the expansion might be in a differently named folder then what the mod installed to

suck my terra cotta cock

I can't think of a more deserving game that needs an engine update.

I love the Valkyria Chronicles skins.

hehehe

They're good in Spearhead, shut up. British or Wehrmacht ftw.

I was readin jojo and a certain panel reminded me of the red alert cover.

Ignore my shitty photoshop skills

I bet you think one of German factions is hard mode

Your doing Gods work user

Coh2 with spearhead mod is p. shit tbqh.
Coh1 with BK is still superior. of course mowas2 + GSM is better than both.

The brits have always been really broken and just plain weird to play compared to the others in blitz. That's before the damned synch errors started slipping in that don't even announce themselves, so you think you've finished a game and your friend hasn't or the like.

It was the best mod for Coh1 though.

Over time I realized that their creators are barely better than official ones and their small communities often just can't git gud
Its like Total War MP skirmish player compare it to AoE and declared TW superior

Sure but that depends on the mods and what game they're for. Modders can let their autism run free while the devs might think of mass appeal or something, which the modder doesn't have to consider.

I still shudder at the memory of "pro CoH mod" that added Hitlerjugend unit (cheap non-replenishable shock unit with flamers and 44's).

But then again, I was modder myself and know what goes through their mind and how defensive they are about their "great vision of balance".

New Thread →
New Thread →
New Thread →
New Thread →
New Thread →