SRPG thread - little money edition

Because we can never have enough of these.

Taking a break from my playthrough of the original version of FFT 1.3 (not the dumb version where black mages are WoW Shamans with Chain Lightning) and going through the vanilla FFT for some fun.

Thinking of doing a challenge run where I can only deal damage by Reflecting spells on enemies (although I can use any type of debuff/CC I want). Any other type of challenge runs I could do, aside from solo Ramza or single class only challenges?

While I'm at it, any other SRPGs that compared to Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together and FFT? I played Vandal Hearts, 1 was pretty bad and 2 was meh at best. FFTA was an exercise in frustration with the dumb soccer cards bullshit. Kamidori had very unsatisfying gameplay. I absolutely loathed enemies popping out of nowhere in the few Fire Emblem games I played. XCOM was just simply unfun due to how much of a RNG shitfest it was. I tried Advance Wars but got bored a few hours in since it was too easy. I've heard of Disgaea but I heard it was extremely grindy. I have yet to try Shining Force or Front Mission.

Other urls found in this thread:

replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1036
spwaw.com/downloads/SPWaW 2016.exe
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why is FFT so SLOOOOOW

Thank god for emulators and speeding that shit up.

Stop being a weeb and play Jagged Alliance 2.

I did try it a very, very long time ago and if I remember correctly, I couldn't figure out how to leave the first map and just never went back to it. It's actually on my backlog, I'll get to it eventually. I thought Fallout Tactics was both ok and similar to JA2.

i wanted to put FFT:TWOTL on my PSP so i could play it confy in bed, but guess what? the piece of shit runs at 25 FPS, and whenever you cast a skill with a visual animation (such as a summon, Dark Sword, Holy Sword, etc.) the game slows down to 10 FPS until the animation is done.

there is a patch, to make it run at a stable 30 FPS, but it has another problem, it modifies the resolution of the game on the PSP and makes it look like a game for ants.

there's no winning with that shit.

Jagged Alliance 2
and less RPG but more S.
* General (Panzer General, Fantasy General, Open General, Peoples General, etc)
Battle Isle 1 - 3 , Incubation and Advanced Strategic Command

Fallout Tactics is an okay game, but JA2 is so much better.

Read the manual. It's not that long and it's really helpful.

replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.1036

Think you could help a brotha out and show me where I could find a good emulator?

Wesnoth, you niggers

Retroarch and PPSSPP, you nigger

Thanks user

Forgot to add:
7.62 Hard Life
Silent Storm + "Sentinels" and "Hammer and Sickle"

or you could give some great Strategy Games a try like:
Command Ops 2 (Free Engine, Editor and 2 Scenarios)
Close Combat (the abandonware titles or the rereleases)
Combat Mission Battle for Normandy
Tigers on the Hunt
Steel Panthers Word at War (freeware) (or winSPWW2 also freeware) (or the SPWAW 2016 enhanced edition spwaw.com/downloads/SPWaW 2016.exe also freeware)

Updated my backlog.

Hey I tried a few levels and didn't like it, at all. So many games to play, so little time.

Fine, fine. Try Der Langrisser and Bahamut Lagoon(which was originally going to be called Final Fantasy Tactics) both for the Super Famicom. Also try Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. From what I remember, enemy reinforcements never spawn without some kind of warning. Even if they do, it doesn't matter much because the maps are gigantic, so you have more than enough time to prepare before they're able to reach you.

Tried Bahamut Lagoon and I couldn't stand the AI partners fucking everything up. The SNES Fire Emblem was one of the FE games I played, detested it. I guess I should mention that even if the games I played didn't have enemy reinforcements popping out of thin air, I still wouldn't like the series because of how god damn shallow the rock paper scissor I CRIT AND 1 SHOT YOUR UNIT HAVE FUN RESTARTING THE LEVEL gameplay. Same reason why I hated XCOM.

Shit taste comfirmed. The first Vamdal Hearts is great, despite it being somewhat simplistic (kind of rock, paper, scissors). Still the game wasnt easy and grinding was impossible. Its just not FFT. If you go with that in mind youll never enjoy any SRPG because very few if any play like FFT. Vandal Hearts II is garbage tho.

While FFTA has shit story and the card system does need some getting used to its a great addition to the series. The classes are more balanced (some still broken though like Assasin + Concentrate), better monster variety, more customization. The cards arent that of a nuisance if you have a balanced party, anti-laws and look at the fucking map. You can know which laws will be in place by looking at the map and planning accordingly.

I played FFTA. I don't see how anyone can condone the card system. It doesn't force you to adapt to circumstances, it doesn't force you to think outside the box to beat battles and it doesn't reward you for playing well. All the system does is force you to play a certain way. The whole card system contradicts the class system. There's also nothing fun about it. It's basically like these RTS missions where "oh for some contrived reason you can't use tanks this mission, have fun!". If I wanted to be forced down a path, I'd play those brown and bloom corridor shooters that have been popular in the past 10 years.

I'll go as far as saying that arbitrary reasons to prevent the player from using different techs/units/skills in the middle of a strategy/tactics game playthrough is 100% bullshit. Oh were you busy taking over the world in a war game? Well all your mounted knights decided to go on strike for a month, have fun playing our game!

Make sure you play it with the 1.13 mod. It's a significantly better game. Pic related.

Try the Growlanser games, then. 2, 3, or 4 should be right up your alley.

That's because FFT was barely a SRPG at all. The class system was great, but the tactical aspect was about as bare bones as you can get.

How is battle isle SRPG? If that counts, so does Historyline 1914-1918

Also if you want something very very vaguely like JA (although not much like it) but in 3d and realtime, there's shadow company. It's merc gameplay with seperate missions.

The FE games I did play most definitely weren't hard enough to "push someone shit in" unless they were a complete pleb. Also don't remember finding any rez staves. Plenty of healing one and a few teleporting ones, but not straight up rez.

It's in Genealogy of the Holy War, one of the units you recruit has one with a use pre-packaged.

Seriously that's some top grade bullshit, RNG based stat growth is one of the most retarded design choices any dev could ever make in a RPG.

I didn't get far in the SNES one. The one I beat was the GBA or DS one where the first chapter you start off as a chick and end up being recruited in further chapters by the lord and his axe buddy. I played through most of that one's prequel, too.

You've got to take every thing into account in those games. Always assume the worst possible scenario when you play your moves.

Which one on the SNES did you play? There were three of them.

Problem is that it's pretty much impossible to assume worst possible scenario because the worst possible scenario can't be accounted for without suffering losses: you get crit once or twice and get killed from full health by an enemy you don't lose the weapon triangle to.

Don't really remember many details about the SNES FE game I played, but you had a metric fuckton of units straight from the start and the first map just kept throwing more units under your command. I quit on like map 3 or 4, maybe even 2.

Sure it can, you just have to understand the enemy unit's stats. Crits only do three times the amount of damage as a normal attack, so if an enemy has an attack of 16 and the guy you send to fight him has a defense of 11 and 29 hp, you know an individual attack will only do 5 damage and a critical will only do 15, which means even in the worst case scenario your guy will still have 14 hp left, which should be enough to keep him alive until you can get someone to heal him, provided you didn't send him off to fight a horde of enemies by himself.

That being said, I don't recall enemies getting that many crits in FE games(aside from Thracia 776), unless they had a weapon like a killer lance which boosts a unit's crit rate by 30%.

The weapon triangle doesn't have anything to do with crits. It just gives you a very small(usually 1 point) increase/decrease to a few of your stats depending on if you're on the winning side of it or not.

It sounds like you were playing Thracia 776 which does have some of the most retarded RNG in all of gaming. Mystery of the Emblem doesn't have the weapon triangle and the maps in Genealogy of the Holy War are ten times the size and length of the maps in other games. You probably would have quite long before the second map if you were playing that one.

Well, it kinda does indirectly, since it affects accuracy, and you need to pass accuracy check before rolling for a crit.

Really? In all my years of playing these games, I never knew that.

Any of the classic Combat Mission games are still fantastic man.

Yeah, at least in the gba games I'm positive that's true.

How so? If you get for example No Missiles, the ideal would be to not field him. Same goes for magic etc. There are some bullshit cards like "No Harming Monsters" but otherwise I have no gripes with the system. As long as you have a varied party, know before hand what laws are going to be in place and have anti-laws, alls good. Likewise, you could use the law system to your advantage making certain tough enemies less useful or outright shit.

The whole system is too arbitrary. Take the no missile card for example. You go to a map and you get that law. There's no reason to block the use of your archer units other than "because I feel like it and said so".

If you had a well designed game/map and the devs wanted you to not use archers, they'd make a map with very rugged terrains and lots of obstacle and trees or an indoor map with a lot of small rooms and a ceiling.

The second example feels natural and flows well. It makes sense, it doesn't break immersion. Here's a more concrete example: you're playing Dark Souls as a STR build, using a big ass mother fucking weapon. You get to an area where you have to fight enemies in a tiny area and you don't have enough room to swing your weapon around so it gets stuck on the walls and ceiling. Makes it pretty obvious that you should use a backup weapon or use an alternate strategy. Now imagine you're playing Dark Souls again and you're about to fight enemies in a large plain with no obstructions, meaning you can swing your big ass motherfucking weapon at your heart's content. But wait!, the mechanic that randomly prevents you from using a type of weapon comes into effect and you're barred from using your big ass motherfucking weapon for no reason other than "the game said so". Makes it pretty obvious that you should use a backup weapon or use an alternate strategy.

Now, which of these sounds like good game design and which of these sounds completely fucking retarded and frustrating? That's what FFTA feels like.

Just started Front Mission 3. too soon to say everything except that the pre intro is really cool and that mechas taking damage to different bodyparts is neat