Hyper Light Drifter General

Thinking about pirating it, any of you played it?

I lasted about 1 hour and I got bored.
Also, 30 FPS cap, this shit is fucking retarded.
I'm sure there are other games you didn't play that will interested you far more.

Pirate if you want, but with keyboard and mouse it's not worth it. I enjoyed the first few hours, but it's one of those "soulesque" games which get the whole YOU WILL DIE marketing shit.

The best thing about the whole game is the opening animation, and you can watch that on youtube.

Reminder that the developers are SJW shills

What the hell?
The last time we had a thread about this game about 20 people got triggered the fuck out and saged/shitposted non stop.
Holla Forums really is completely different on some games depending on timezones.

Doug told us not to judge a game on peoples beliefs, but to judge a game on its own.

The two posts you quoted are also criticizing the game, what's your point?

If you're against murder, do you purchase a murderers game because the game doesn't support murder?

Controls are fucking HORRIBLE.
Who thought it was a good idea to force the DODGE movement towards where you are AIMING at? You need to aim at enemies, how the fuck can you dodge then?
It's fucking retarded and makes the game hard for no real reason.

I dropped the game after three hours, it was horrible and the controls made me puke.

Murder, no I wouldnt, dont be silly.

Shitty ideals? Sure I would if the game was fine.

Criticizing the game is just fine, acting like shit flinging apes isn't.
So you really think people think Holla Forums is a shithole because Holla Forums "criticizes" games?
Are you retarded or something?

You're making some generous inferences from my post and seem like a huge faggot.

it's whatever.

Yeah that's the shit. Apparently it's different with a controller, but kb+m it's horrendous.

What did you expect?
New game comes out, it's pixel shit, of course you're gonna have a bunch of meme-kids trying to fit in the "We hate games" culture.
Are you new to chans in general or what?

Shit like this is release, you pirate, buy if you like and then wait a good 2 or 3 months before discussing it. Only ADD ridden idiots and literal hipsters discuss it on day 1. That's the kind of person you were discussing it with.

Anyway, the game has some neat things, but often the artsyle is kinda shit and wastes potential. The actual dificulty comes from the horrenduous controls, and the main schtick of the game, "Hyper-Drifiting" is shit. If you drift too fast, it gets hard to control, which wouldn't be bad if the maps were built with that in mind. But instead of large obstcales for you to drift around, they're peppered with tiny little obstacles that will not only stop you, but also bouncing back, often landing you in a hole.
So, "Hyper-Drifting" is only usefull for one boss, and even then, you can't drift too fast or you lose control, hit something and say goodbye to half your health becase "Wow, so hard".

Then there's Newgame+, that one majorly sucks. Upgrades you bought on Newgame? Don't count for shit, you gotta buy them again. You start Newgame+ with a couple of them already bought, but it's the basic one's.
Then there's shit like HP or first aid kits that really don't matter/help but you can still waste points on it, because WHY NOT, RIGHT?

And this game perpetuates the idea of "secrets" like old games did: you gotta hump everywall in the game to find them.
Some maps do have some traces that a secret is there (like a crack of light near the edge of the screen) and you do feel kinda smart and perceptive when you notice those things and find the secret. Sadly, that's about 40% of them. The other 60% is wall-humping with no clues. This is the kinda shit that people lift from old games on the misconcieved notion that "old games did it, so it's good" without realizing that back then people already disliked it.

You also equip guns to use, with half of them being completely useless. I mean, they're not useless by themselves. It's just that once you pick up some of the others, there's no point in using the others, since they all draw from the same ammo counter.
Especially when you get the BEST GUN. I'll leave you to find out which one it is, because honestly? Even unupegraded, it's a beast.
And that was another problem I had. Two of the guns you can find throught hard-to-reach secrets. Those guns downright suck. Best gun? Appears on the middle of the road as you go.

This is the kind of thing that clues you in to the true purpose of this game:
The creator wanted to make a nice artsy world where you can move, shoot and slice.
He didn't aim to make a good game.

Wether that stops you from enjoying it or not, up to you. I liked some of the visuals, and a bit of the locations, but not enough to actually end up buying it.

Something close to this sort of thing would be Transistor for instance, except Transistor outdid this game in Music, Art, Story and more importantly, Gameplay.

I beat it. Fun game, too bad the creators belong to a religion of evil.

Yeah the Devs are SJWs, but there are other reasons to buy such a game. Vid related.

Sorry for linking Vice and jewtube; on vacation and can't webm

The game is becomes trivial as soon you get upgrades, the game becomes even easy after the first boss.

The first boss is sastifying but everything afterwards end up being boring, there's also no more serious sam-like encounters where swarms of enemies start piling on you

30 fps lock ruining the rhythm-based dashing.

Fucking why?

Don't waste your time, OP. Go get Furi. It's all the fun of hyper light drifter but far better executed. No pixelshit either.

I don't know why

Furi is pretty good but I'm kind of shunted by the copy paste designs from the same creator of Afro Samurai, the games story is almost the same thing, instead of being the one and revenge, its about muh freedom

It's worth a pirate, the game is nice visually and sound wise

that's a nice lie

eyyy but you didn't say it wasn't worth a pirate

Have they fixed the fps? The screen transitions made my head hurt with their jerkiness.

no wait it's worth being paid 10 dollars

It was mediocre. Have fun hugging every single wall. Final boss was extremely easy.

Thought I would like it, played it got bored really fast

I'd buy a murderer's game if I liked it

There's clues for every secret, there's a specific sigil on the ground next to every false wall and blind dash

Furi is looking better and with better gameplay.
Rip Drifter.

so?

the general consensus regardless of timezones seems to be that it's not worth it ; be it the technical choices that limit the game or the developer's outright faggotry , the conclusion is the same

The game has that really obvious and easily avoidable problem some games have when they want to try being nonlinear but don't know how to pull it off
You can spend money to buy new abilities and permanent upgrades, at any time
Meaning the abilities are completely useless and not needed anywhere
And all four of the possible paths you can take from the beginning are relatively similar in difficulty, and the one the game tries to goad you into doing first is even a bit harder than the others
There's also not a whole lot of content and a lot of it seems like it could have been fleshed out more but wasn't for some reason

The biggest fuck up caused by these problems is found in the fucking namesake of the game, drifting
You can upgrade it so that you can drift forever, and is a skill-based thing that you actually have to learn, and the game challenges you to do so in a really fun way
But then the game never makes use of that skill, not even once, and the areas are so small and/or cramped most of the time that you'd have a hard time trying to use it just for fun
At best, hyper light drifter could be an inspiration to make something better in the future, but is not a great game on it's own

its so incredibly mediocre its not even worth the pirate. There's hundreds of better games.

It will hold your interest for the ~7 or so hours of gameplay, so I'd way it's worth a pirate. There are some odd design choices (redundant upgrades, exploration can sometimes be a chore, garish colour palette) but overall the combat is engaging and snappy, and there is usually enough enemy variety to keep things interesting. It's also quite challenging, and the bosses are great.

I saw people on Holla Forums bitch a LOT about the hidden areas, but there are no unfair hidden areas. There is ALWAYS a visual cue, or some other indication that there's an invisible door you can walk through, etc. They are difficult to see, but learning the game's visual tells for exploration is part of the skillset. I suspect the summerfags on here (such as ) dislike having to observe their environments and judged it harshly for that. The game has flaws, but the hidden areas are not among them - they are one of the most skillfully executed methods of making exploration rewarding in recent memory.

In terms of spending money on it:

What?

I like furi but the fact that they got the afro samurai guy, Scattle, Carpenter Brut and Waveshaper but not be able to program in a half decent graphics option menu is a fucking retarded thing. I can't play past level 3 because the game keeps crashing and it has something to do with water reflections which I can't turn off because there isn't an option for it. I pirated the game so I can't do that no water reflections beta shit

Please, kindly go fuck yourself.
I get it that you liked the game. But calling people who don't like it "summerfags" doesn't make it any better.

Here, right on the first area.
You enter this screen from the north. The path is clearly to the west throught that wooden bridge. But of course you keep exploring. On that yellow square you find a box with some currency. Now, I'm not an idiot. The map shows a small clearing to the south. So you attempt to Drift there. No chance, it's too far away.

First thought on my head? It's that upgrade on the shop, to drift longer. I figured it's like any other Metroidvania: every "secret" area needs it's own items to be acessed.

Nope, it's the tiny ass ledge on the right, that is white, like 90% of that area. Oh, and when you drift there? Good luck aiming your WHITE reticle over a WHITE area without falling into the pit.

Do you want me to find others? Because like I said on my previous post, I agree that there are some clever one's and finding them was fun. But to deny that there are shitty one's is dumb.

Might aswell add: the schtick of "tiny ledge on the border of the screen you can barely see" is not only overused (I counted at least 3 secrets in each area accessible throught this) it's simultaneously UNDERUSED: the forest being the worst at it, because that map is fucking littered with tiny edges on the border of the screen with half of them not being accessible at all, and the other half having nothing anyway.

I'd fucking buy Mao and Hitler's collectively made game if it was good enough. But this? This is… I don't know, I liked it's visual style and presentation so I pirated it, and I can't tell whether it's be not enjoying this subgenre or the game was mediocre, but I abandoned it in a few hours.

It is indeed mediocre, and you can tell they started it off with a bunch of neat ideas but had to rush it.
And we even know why: the main guy behind it has an heart condition and might die at any moment. Halfway throught development, his disease got worse, so they rushed it.

I heavily criticize the game, but I think that the bad parts can be excused since the guy was pretty much dying. It still has a lot of parts I liked.

Except Newgame+. Fuck that shit.

i played it and liked it a lot
great pixel art
satisfying combat
short cryptic story
lots of secret and hidden areas/upgrades

30 fps is the default speed in Game Maker Studio, they set it that way because the humyn eye can't see beyond 24 fps.

in 2 clicks you can run your game in 60fps on gms