Sega Saturn cracked after 22 years

After 22 years, someone managed to bypass the Saturn's copy protection and allow games to be played on a Saturn via SSD. Homebrewers and owners of Saturns with dead CD drives rejoice.

See embed related for more explanation about the cracked Saturn.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1
encyclopediadramatica.se/MadThad0890
software.intel.com/en-us/articles/modeling-using-quad-polygons
blog.digitaltutors.com/modeling-with-quads-or-triangles/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZ436FXB4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*via USB

I'm amazed it wasn't cracked before.

Fucking based. My Saturn is still up and running but its always good to have an alternative once the CD drive starts dying. Hopefully someone can do the same for the DC without it costing an arm and a leg.

Are you telling me user we may be able to play Panzer Dragoon Saga again?

Pretty cool shit

As a former Saturn owner, the only one in my fucking neighborhood, this is amazing.

jokes on you buddy this workaround actually changes all of your games to Hydlide 3D.

DECENT EMULATOR WHEN?

SOON

(checked)
I mean you still can. You can either shell-out an arm and a leg or use a modchip. I personally use the latter and I'm enjoying every bit of it.

You know, I wonder what happened to my old Saturn? Shame I don't have it anymore, if an Everdrive comes out for one though I may pick one up just for the nostalgia and hidden gems that I missed as a kid.

As someone who grew up with Nintendo shit, how powerful is a Saturn? I get the feeling somewhere between PS1 and PS2?

Depends on how good the developer was with the hardware, since it uses triangles instead of polygons. It's better for 2D than it's rivals, but it lacks transparency (it does transparency the same way old Mega Drive games did by having one pixel some color like black for shadow and the adjacent pixels blank). On the 3D front, it can look as good as a N64 game, but it can also look a lot worse, it really depends on much the dev was willing to work with the system's unique architecture.
Here's something I really like in Panzer Dragoon Saga for example, the fact that it's a 3D model and you can just change it based on 4 parameters is amazing to me. Loved having the dragon in full Attack mode and have his horn push the main character away when you were in the camp because of how big it got.

EMULATOR SOON

Wow, that's actually really cool.

oh baby

Now you can play Lunar 3!

Completely unrelated.

Sega used special cds that couldn't be made by a CD burner.

That and nobody actually cared. Genesis didn't exactly set the world on fire.

It didn't? Everyone I knew had one. The same couldn't be said for Saturn, of course, but the few who had one seemed to be super autistic for it.

Having never owned a Saturn, it honestly reminds me of the Vita nowadays. Not a lot of western support, but tons of Japanese games that are worth playing.

Should I buy a Saturn?

If you actually bothered to watch the video in the OP you'd see that the cracker mentioned he has posted his findings and shared them with Yabause and other emulation programmers. He says they're already on it working on his findings as what he cracked was essentially a "black box".

I recently bought a saturn and modded it (modchip). I've got easily over 100 games that I regularly play, all of them enjoyable. Too bad I can't into nip otherwise that would be easily over 200. The problem with the Saturn is that it didn't sell much in the West meaning its pretty tough to find one for a good price. Collecting games is a whole different ball park too since the console is very niche and some titles (Like Panzer Dragoon) are in the 3 digits. Unless you're going to mod it, I wouldn't recommend it. Its going to hurt your wallet otherwise.

I believe the genesis did pretty well in the states, surpassing Nintendo's market share for a while. It didn't do too well outside the states though where the SNES dominated. Even so, for a console that wasn't designed to compete against the SNES it did fairly well. Had the best versions of many games like Aladdin and Mortal Kombat.

this is pretty cool, i was actually thinking about creating a homebrew board, but i don't think anyone here is interested, the board might have a few visitor during the beginning than die like every other board that gets started here.

i also have no idea how to crack or mod anything, all i can do is follow tutorials from someone else.

The Genesis got to be more popular in the west than the SNES. You just showed everyone how little you know about Sega's history boyo.

Yeah, lots of good stuff on it once you get to dig into the library. If you can't afford any of it, just buy an action replay, flash PsuedoSaturn onto it and play burned discs.

Or do the mod in this thread once it becomes more available.

What a time to be alive.

wow i'll try to copy that shit

Correction: The Saturn uses quadrilaterals, instead of the usual triangles, which is one of the major reasons it was incredibly difficult to program for.
The other main reason was the use of two, weaker processors sharing a puny system bus, instead of a single, powerful one. If both processors were implemented, the Saturn could produce some impressive visuals, but programming for both proved to be difficult, even for those familiar with the hardware. Most third parties chose to program for only one of the two processors which, on their own, were a joke compared to other consoles at the time.

The Saturn's hardware in general was just fucking wacky, primarily for the two reasons you pointed out. Just looking at it I get two impressions:

1) The suits wants to turn blast processing up to 11. "If our console has bigger numbers it'll be better than the competition!"
2) The hardware designers were still used to discrete chip design (as opposed to a unified arch like the N64 would later be), so everything is its own CPU with its own ROM.

If any Saturn devs of the day called it a nighmare, I'd believe them.

Sega Saturn was cracked. Mine is modded and I have an extra mod chip in my cabinet (I have both 21 and 20 pin mod chips).
I backed up my copy of PDS before unloading it on ebay for $300 (hard times…..much regret).

This is talking about tricking the console itself into playing copied games. Saturn didn't have some magical encryption that prevented emulation (though Saturn emulation is a pain in the ass to achieve properly because of its unique architecture.)

I think the bigger issue with Saturn emulation is lack of interest. Most of the good stuff on the console is Nip only.

You are correct, I mixed up the two. Thanks for the correction.

Don't get me wrong, the Saturn was a staple of my adolescenthood, but there's no getting around the fact that the hardware was complex.

Wait you can legit just play as a car in this fighting game? Clearly that fag above you who says there aren't enough english games to be worth making a good emulator is wrong.

Also, you'd think the autists at Sonic Retro would make a good one just so they could play Sonic Jam.

Someone in this thread said gamecucks and Sega

nice try schlomo.

How hard is it to mod a Saturn? Is it like jailbreaking a PS2?

Yep, the Hornet from Daytona USA's playable in Fighters Megamix, along with two Sonic the Fighter's characters and Janet from Virtua Cop.
As a casual fighting game player it's legit one of my favorites, skip to 2:30 in this video if you don't wanna watch the intro and shit.

t. cuck

To be fair, they did say that DMC: Devil May Cry was the best DmC game.

gonna buy one of these cards when it's ready

Please stop using this term. Its retarded. As far as your question goes, its not as simple as using a game exploit and a USB. You need to solder a chip, hence why I mentioned modchip in the post. Even so there are people who can do it for you at a relatively cheap price over at assembler games if you arent comfortable doing it yourself.

Hopefully itll be cheaper than the alternative, the Rhea. I hope these start hitting the market sometime soon, my Saturn's modded but the laser is bound to die someday.

but why

Well watching the video he hopes to even outright be able to make something that replaces the CD drive with a standard 2.5 inch laptop HDD and play the chip through there

still this is amazing break through and even emulation scene gets a solid gift

Real-time 3D graphics were in their infancy. There were one or two companies that felt that quads would be superior. Most everyone else settled on triangles (Microsoft in particular), and I think the world is better for it.

Also worth noting is that nVidia's first graphics card was quads-based, and its development is somewhat intertangled with the Saturn: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1

but you can like make squares out of triangles

2 triangles of 6 points vs 1 square of 4 points, I have no idea how GPUs work but I'm guessing that's gotta be more efficient when working with a lot of rectangles, given that there's a lot of flat rectangular surfaces in early 3D games I can see why people would use quads then.

Maybe, I don't know, they're both a kilogram anyway.

But if you want to make anything that would use a triangle, or any shapes that seem rounded (which triangles can do easier than quadrilaterals) you'd have to just make one side of the quadrilateral very short, though I imagine that would make it no easier for the system to process.

But I know jack shit about computers so idk. But if you want to be able to make more 3D shapes, using the simplest 2D shape seems like a better idea.

FUCK

thats worse than throwing out a gen 1 dreamcast.

you fucked up.

nigga you dumb

The lenghts some people will go over blind nostalgia

That shitty console doesnt even has game

Its like wasting time making an emulator for the PS3 or 4

This website is for over 18's son.

i could be your dad, kid

No hes literate.

What are you, white?

No, I'm pale.

yeah, i would have raised something better than some degenerate that talks about himself in third person

you're a fucking pale male

It should be noted that they don't know shit about modern games. And sometimes their opinions are awful, but their rundown on specs for games and consoles is actually pretty good.
Sage for offtopic.

their opinions are very questionable

I tried getting a saturn emu working to play Dragonfroce 2. I got the start screen up and then it literally bluescreened windows 7. I don't even know. I've given up now.

No, I'm pale.

sounds like bullshit and he said CD

He said "Genesis didn't exactly set the world on fire."

he said both

hahahaha faggot

we did it
we finally acheived something greater than shitposting

@the OP video though, that's quite amazing. essentially, he's managed to reverse engineer a way to send instructions to the saturn's cd processor, which was "a heavily guarded fortress" in his words, in that nothing would be able to send it commands.

watch the OP video. it's quite fascinating how all this shit works.

Yuji Naka Proves you wrong

Burning rangers did transparent objects with DP2. (put subtitles on at 15 minutes into the video) It still amazes me how he pulled it off from a programing standpoint.

I was a bit skeptical about the video because I'm well into console modding and figured "nigger, there's a mod chip, there's back up loading, Rhea, psuedo saturn, the Saturn's been cracked for years before this nigger turned around." I was wrong about that, some really cool stuff going on here, and it's nice to see some detailed information about the Saturn's inner workings being put out there. Good watch.

I've actually just ordered a Japanese official saturn light gun, the analog pad, the action replay RAM expansion and the console itself. I'm excited to see how this develops over time. Great to see it's targeting USB from early in development, the PSIO has long since baffled me why it would be SD based instead of USB especially considering it's a fucking CD based console.

Nigger what

Mega Drive was extremely popular in Europe. It bombed in Japan.

this is illegal. reported for piracy.

That video is fantastic, the Saturn's such a complex mess that it's a technical marvel to see it work and just impressive to see its inner workings.

Fukken narc!

yeah, anyone who doesn't think Sega offered tremendous competition with the Master System/Genesis worldwide is absolutely delusional. The system kicked Nintendo's ass hard and pushed some serious competition. While the sales numbers don't lie (with nintendo leading at about 20M units at the end of the consoles life) it's undeniable that Sega's influence was felt far and wide, and in retrospect the decider of the best platform of that generation was the library, which was undoubtedly the Genesis.

This came up and it's actually a very fascinating video exploring how Saturn does some visual effects it otherwise would not support at all. His pronunciation of English is very Japanese, so I strongly suggest using the closed captions, which are at least accurate.

reported for resurrecting a topic about piracy

Yeah but all he said in relation to CD's was that Saturn used special ones. The reply was obviously not replying to that part of the post. The reply was talking about the popularity of the Genesis, because the only part of the original post that had anything to do with popularity was the part about the Genesis.

Reported for being a pleb

Nice

get that sony shit out of here, this is a sega thread.

Ok then.

MARK WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SATURN GAME NIGGS

So now that there's gonna be a decent emulator, will Holla Forums work on a saturn recommended list?

Everything but clockwork knight and every movie license,

What about the Evangelion game?

based

B-but piracy is WRONG!

Don't you mean 'pail'?

You know what else is wrong?

#BlackLivesMatter

Jokes on you, I'm not gonna take that bait.

Mad Thad dindu nuffin.

RIP Mad Thad

is he out of jail yet?

Moonman, Moonman
Black lives matter

Trying to google him just results in a bunch of normalfags and moralfags rejoicing at his arrest. Why must we punish those who dare to dream?

Not until 2020.

encyclopediadramatica.se/MadThad0890

Mark what's your fetish?

Video is a bit wrong.
Saturn actually have 6 CPUs.
SH2,SH2,SCU (its a DSP, but DSPs are basically very heavily specialized CPUs),SMPC,68k and SH1
Of course, only the first three are actually fast enough to actually do any difference.

Also even with all the powers combined, it still is not a match for the ridiculously fast GTE coprocessor on the playstation system, or the 128bit SIMD DSP coprocessor thing on the N64.

if the jew doesn't see a problem with piracy then there's nothing wrong with piracy

Don't like studet filth upon something trying to deplete it and terminalise it before moving on.

Some more attention on Sega could be good if that fucking animu war game did not exist.

Using quads instead of tris is very wise. Otherwise a lot of unnescessary information needs to be processed, square surfaces having 4 points rather than six adds up fast. As a grid could help perspective and simplify culling.

Only need 2 variables for a square, height and width, as opposed to 4 for a square made of 2 triangles.

To position the square a varaible for:
Distance to camera.
Rotation.
Tilt.

Very low spec would have meant a lot would have had to be a square to save processing.

An interesting use would be:
Single colour blue sky.
Field with very low draw distance, crumpled up paper looking squarish terrain random generated, saved long enough to turn around. Move by direction on sign posts.

In towns ground flat and buildings close. Single colour textures except for doors and windows which are just blue squares or brown ones.

Combat like Demon's Souls and RE4. Grey enemies slightly darker than grey of fog.

Towns very simple, extras using left over performance. Enemies very simple and sprites when in fog matching model version if ever out of it. Slowing when passing them to loot them. Or in fighting them off they dissapear into the fog. Looting wrong but reason for slowdown when passing them due to their model rendered.

Textures generally one colour. Quads used to add detail like sprites that don't always face the character.

Main character fairly simple. Bare essentials needed to represent physical form.

May as well wear a cloth covering mouth like most npcs to save on detail required for nose and mouth.

Not a lot of extras, no jewelry, bangles etc. Eyes extras. MGS style shadows for most.

Random gen for towns apart from some basic layout, npcs acting as signs to point out locations or tell of locations. Some locations actually traps to defer from progression.

Inside buildings everything having much more detail but still in 3D, forced slower pace, able to jog outside, have to walk inside.

Bosses on flat ground where surroundings form an arena. Atop buildings, in clearings etc.
Atop buildings having a world texture around it of the landscape in the same style in resolution high enough for it to seem real.

Game of course running in a lower than standard resolution. Around 80x80 or the same resolution present on the Game Gear.

A framerate of about 15fps, playing slowly enough, with slow enough movement that isn't so noticable. Everything exaggeratedly slow. But actions needing to be deliberate. Aiming unable to turn and only moving character. Wasting ammo using it to give an indication of where projectiles land. A hit centre, close enough to it for swords, for projectiles the same perhaps so more performance can go to the objects to be shot. Framerate during aiming raised to 60fps. Otherwise some MGS4/V styled shooting at 60 fps at later levels, with very barren and sparse landscape only sprite enemies in distance they get too close their shots hit you. Shooting all of them as they appear and moving by sun direction. Exploring single square buildings, going through sewers. Something like Morrowind. A lot of exploration and the further you go the more danger there is.

Sword combat slow, where acting fast is required. To swing in different ways.

Camera like RE4, aiming like RE4, swordplay requiring the use of a virual second stick or auto eye on the closest enemy like the lock on system in OOT.

A switch from camera to like RE4 and to circle character. Switch indicating the role of other buttons.

In RE4 camera:
Say
A is aim
X is fire

B is reload
Y is change weapon

C is to switch to Sword cam
Z is to pick up/interact etc, hold it to use healing item

If having shoulder buttons L1 to aim and R1 to fire of course.

In sword camera:
A, B, Y & C to move, with D-Pad for camera
X to Slash
Z to change camera to RE4 mode.

If shoulder buttons then block and aim for them. An option to invert and swap virtual sticks in menu.

Eg for Peace Walker the stick should have been used for aim and the buttons to move. Use slower world, have higher framerate. 60fps when aiming. And black bars beside and inder zoomed in view.

So going into aim effectively cuts off 80% of the screen, zoomed in over the shoulder as black bars draw in. Ammo count on black bars to the right items beside it.

60fps during aiming should make the smoothness worth the impaired visual range.

Good idea to think on for the Vita, for an MGS game. Would end up playing better than console versions, use PSP and PS2 assets. As placeholders and to make added assets match up. Visually. Make everything affine to hide lack of detail with low res textures, stylising them.

Etc. Low spec can end up aiding play. Overcoming the limitations prioritises what matters most.

r u ok

Intel came to a similar conclusion about the usefulness of Quads, but this is with modern hardware and tools, at the time most 3D development was done and being trained with using tris.

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/modeling-using-quad-polygons
blog.digitaltutors.com/modeling-with-quads-or-triangles/

Sega seemed to be approaching with a different line of thought, however, and their implementation had limited value but I'm still grateful for the library the Saturn got.

Pseudosaturn is a good solution for the time being, though I'd recommend waiting for more info about this new crack unless you wanna spend $30 or so on a cheap-ass aftermarket Action Replay cart and spending hours trying to perform a successful disc swap.

What the fuck am I reading?

Modern APIs support uploading a textured quad, so you can just specify four vertices, but internally it gets decomposed into two triangles anyway.

I know.
They even support triangle strips that is the "quad idea", but expanded a lot.
And well, both solutions DO save speed, as its less vertices to vertex shader on.

Did you just want to post about RE4

Hot damn, i can finally give Deep Fear a fucking try in console.

And here we all thought 2016 was going to be a bad year.

MGS Vita:

240x135i (deinterlaced) offer various scaling to native, also offer tex filtering on or off, build game to play with it off and using the simplest scaling.
No eyes for characters, shadows.
PS1 level of detail for common enemies. Low poly. Varied human idle animations, and complex patrol routes and responses to them interfered with.
30fps to move, camera turning slow enough that it will not stutter. Motion blur otherwise and to hide low animations. Action increases fog, accompany fog with action when it will impair framerate. Fill areas with detail to use up performance, leave no space for combat, fog fixing lack of performance, enemies pop smoke use thermals etc. using thermals yourself doesn't need textures so performance will improve by them. Add unseen elements to use up performance eg animals. Fog in distance culls all behind it. Widespread and changes enemy textures to a pallete based on the fog colour.

In towns 15FPS, walk
In field no enemies 20 FPS
In field enemies present 30FPS and weather effects eg sun reflecting off buildings blinding the rest if looked at. DOF for distance and close things.

Simple shadows and static shadows. Sections for dynamic lighting at night and indoors compensating for reduced draw distance, black night, no light no sight. Moon helping slightly when present, ground untextured in distance, only geometry silhouette and maybe specular map.

Aiming working like a combination of RE4, Metroid Prime and MGSV, a chase cam that follows an area that isn't in DOF, slowing after imput is ceased but not stopping, very smooth. No reticule just that Dof circle, it narrowing indicating a target will be hit. Black bars on either side of the reticule. A vague shape to indicate one eye is being used too. Turning not impaired but increasing speed toward the edge of the screen. No stick deadzone while aiming. DOF doing the antialiasing. Keep character aiming in view despite black bars. Black bars are ahead.

L1 Aim
R1 Fire
Outside of aim R1 as action button
Hold L1 to aim, rapidly press to crouch, speed of press lowering height all the way to prone. Holding aim while crouch aims in that position.

Rapidly press R1 to hug a wall.
Rapidly press L1 and R1 to dive when moving sideways according to how character is positioned in relation to camera , jumping if looking at character from front or back.

Hold R1 in air to grip something and climb.

Hold L1 and R1 simultaneously to use a grenade or secondary fire.

Aiming faster if using exp on it.

Stats go up if aiming has results, eg aim shoot, return to normal mode. (Releasing L1 returning from aim to normal mode).

Stats go down with failure. Eg getting spotted, killing enemies instead of wounding them or hitting body parts instead of head. A non lethal or totally lethal path whatever you try for have to be effective in to get better. Mission comes first, such as free people. Fuck around and be a fuck up, but don't fail mission until giving up.

Overpowered enemies mitigated in danger by engaging at distance, cause less damage, more shots miss, can lose their tracking with them investigsting last known position and possible ones. Close range be very careful, nearly all shots lethal, jump out and shoot has to become second nature as well as using terrain to hide sight picture. Maybe disable evade when close to enemies or objects so hugging walls isn't impaired.

Guns blazing fine too. But could have area bombed and rescue objectives failed, still have to confirm they are dead emphasising your fuck up.

Silencers precious and uncommon. Quicky run out of ammo for weapons using them, other weapons don't have subsonic ammo so attatching a silencer somewhat of a waste of time. Time wasted means people suffer more.

Besides need to get used to finding what you need instead of comin prepared. The enemy are prepared to the eyeballs. Part of what makes them enemy. Don't want to lose their comfort, bear pain etc.

Make do, a large element of live off the land, a lot of time spent doingthat and getting better at it. Need to be good enough you can look after rescued people. No magical fultron and radar proof non-war starting planes. Enemy planes however are entirely different and please do.

Ammo animals a secret gained from rescuing them from non war related towns. Occupied but going about normally. Rescue dogs etc and they can up ammo count. More useful simlarly if you are. Good for trails. And get used to the difference without them later, also aware of their capebility in tracking you. Ditching your trail a part of your survival chores.

Bosses emerging if you aren't careful, and when confidant overcoming them using their greed against them. They aren't doing it for the right reasons and push themselves for profit, including security within their group, power sought.

Face bosses and best them and the bosses next time will be far more dangerous, overkill you wont be ready for. May need to face bosses to progress even if missions are available. Getting more story with it, better equipment making missions more possible, 99% chance of death instead of 100%. Or rather that freed people wont be tracked afterward, long enough to get them somewhere alive or without them terrified by combat during exfiltration. They get out it is over for them, or not, but more horror they see the more important fixing it will be for them. Should be assured it is being fixed, go back and do what they are good at. Or for recruited people they offer higher specialisation in their skills, more focused on their work.

I bet you've got cum stains all over your SNES controller.

hey reddit.

Saturn verisons of games tend to look better anyway.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZ436FXB4U

The lack of texture filtering and transparency adds to the look.

Saturn came out a year prior I think. If consoles compete they should be offering different experiences. Sega was better for speed . Sony could focus on very slow play for setting. Nintendo could… Make good controllers and make games for people too intimidated by tech to check stuff out, like Apple for PCs. Aim for user friendliness. Microsoft could try to get users creating content themselves.

Recap
Sega: Speed and gameplay
Sony: Slow and stylish, appreciate vistas, high quality
Nintendo: Strange directions, accessible
Microsoft: A cheap PC that allows games to be edited, modded etc

Sega: Done and onto something else
Sony: Done, arriving late refined
Nintendo: Fail proof, play tested so no-one gets stuck, games hyped and arriving with fanfare
Microsoft: Never finished, arriving incomplete and requiring modification to fix. Copies everything else. Doesn't know what they are doing or what they want to do, customer is right kind of thing. Is a PC, performance optimisation in reverse, everything done wrong but with hardware almost good enough to make up for bad decisions and obvious lack of interest and inspiration.

Not since the Saturn came out, they couldn't.

Well, you can't really compare Q1 on saturn vs playstation because weirdly, playstation does not have quake 1.
And comparing Quake 2 PS vs quake 1 sat is unfair.
Also this version of quake is special because its not the quake engine, but a engine made from the ground up to the saturn that use most of its power.

And Q2 runs smoother on PS1 than Q1 runs on sat.

The Genesis outsold the snes in the US and the megadrive outsold the snes in Europe.

Super Nintendo had Donkey Kong Country.
Go into a video rental place to rent a game for the SNES and it would be a sad affair, maybe Bubsy or Rock n Roll Racing. Megadrive/Genesis everything was enjoyable. Made to look good and be good.

Now, I think net access should be free and all connected hardware forming a processing pool. Get solar power happening more, roofing materials, car bodies, clothes, anything in the sun having a subtle solar power generation. Processing pool either equally distributed by people using it, or by game/program requirements, or by banked donated performance. Leave hardware on all the time, maybe physically disconnect private information/hard drive.

Consoles could still compete in having much faster play, imput reacted to virtually in real time. Other offerings, like by processing network more of a laggy experience albeit more visually impressive.

Consoles requiring many actions instantaneously, doing enough that if using the processing network a game would be unplayable. Too slow, too late. Better for everything to be fast, do things skipping the part where you wonder if they can be done. Know what can be, non lethal trial and error, but mostly up judgement and discard doubt. Make things work instead of finding the right thing to do.

at least after the n64, hori started making all their gamepads.

I am confused, but otherwise amused with the attention to detail. Bravo, you autismal fuck.

I had a look around yt, some other examples. Wipeout definately works better on the playstation according to a comparison video.

Tomb Raider looks better on the Saturn and performs slightly better.

Road Rash would be the biggest difference.

Consoles may need to impose restrictions by hardware choices, devs just can't help themselves, MGS4 goes from 30 fps to 20 because of transparency. That is subtle compared to framerate, especially when aiming, it's understandable outside of it, but loooking should always be smooth.

I would have liked to play Quake II on the engine used for the saturn version of Quake. Optimisation can make things look better.

Wasted performance could be punished by less processing pool points. If someone plays something then it is optimised so they can play something else when they want. No waste present on any system.

Process pool requirements in the extreme, games having a few modes, more efficient later, but original releases or build versions playable by preference.

If all hardware was networked games could have processing points banked.

Eg Play something for a few hours a week that has graphics a thousand times more demanding than current games.

Get together with others, banking performance together and play something with millions of times the graphics offered by a single system.

Games the made with no consideration for hardware requirements, just optimise so no waste is present in game, everythig has a purpose and all looks impressive, or is underneath.

I like pixels present, there needs to be detail everywhere and it helps designers do something and then do something else. Doing things intentionally. They need to do things fast because there is much to be done, they may move on with something incomplete or with insuficient detail, an empty looking environment. Should be unknown ahead of them. Build what something needs to be right.

A shared processing pool also stops grindans and shit games taking hold. People rather playing something very impressive and doing other things in the mean time. Stuff to talk about too. Ideas put into games before being put into the background. People used to worlds in games so able to adjust to great and complex things outside of them.

Lucky for you the NX is coming next year.

I would say that if compared raw, playstation can do more triangles per second due how fucking fast the GTE is, but the quads the saturn draw are less distorted and it have more memory available.
So, when deving for the saturn, you want to use less triangles than on a playstation, but abuse of the extra memory, and of course abuse of the hardware mode 7 plane that is essentially free.
That is actually something quite amuzing about the saturn hardware.
ANY game that uses a flat ground is actually using a mode 7 plane drawn by the background video chip rather than the "sprite" video chip, which gives it quite a bump in the frame rate department.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the gimmicks of NX will be to allow any device that can run get in a wifi network and run webpages to be "another screen" for the NX, thus being possible to for example do a party game where a lot of people using their mobile devices in that said party participating.

?