Romance of The Three Kingdoms

So I'm completely fucking ignorant of this series but recently saw Nichegamer's review of it and raving about how XIII is great. However other reviews panned it, user reviews seem to be very mixed and it's goddamn expensive.

Is XIII any good? Is there are recommended point to jump into the series? Does anyone actually play these?

How can you be ignorant of something that has been being released on the west since the NES era?

I remember there was thread of this game were anons decided what OP did. I think we had General Char defeating armies 3 times the size of his own forces in that thread.

My Nobunaga's Ambition is still sitting in front of me, sealed. I should probably start it soon.

I vaguely heard of it but I've no idea which are considered good or bad games in the series or where to start with it.

Sounds fun.

Depends on what you like. Rotk13,11 and 12 are over world's with massive maps that have battles where you make an army and throw it at someone. Train them well, have a few good officers in charge and they'll do alright. The combat is simpler and controlled by the ai like attacking and such. IIRC there's combat skills you can use fo change the tide too. There's also a lot of politics in the game. Sometimes you'll need alliances, or to play nice, or even build a coalition to bring someone down. Theyre fun, but require patience. And it only seems complex at first, you get used to it quick. Been playing em since I was 12 with rotk7.

the game usually has you in charge of a faction, and each turn might be 2 weeks or a month. Its a very management heavy game as well on top of everything else as you need to build farms, markets, etc to build up your cities because they're poor or damaged in a siege.

There's also Rotk 7, 8 and 10 which switch from the traditional way ans you command at least one person who can be anything from a peasant to an emporor. And you can try to conquer China, serve some lord, make a ronin army, etc.

From what I've heard XIII just doesn't hold a candle to XII with the Japanese expansion, (thanks gooks, I sure like never being able to play properly.) It's still a great game but wildly simplified in terms of resource, tech and army management- which frankly is 75% of the war.

Off the top of my head I can think that being a vassal rather than a liege is better now, since it used to be a big thing in IX and X and stopped in the later installments. You can build relationships with your fellow officers and work to complete your Liege's objectives. Still, I really can't recommend XII enough- I've had more than a hundred hours with friends playing like this shit was RISK.

Yeah I never got why they didn't add the puk for English. I always wanted it on 10.

Thanks for the input anons.

It was the new Nobunaga's Ambition and it was closer to ten times our number.

And then that fucking random bitch stalled our pacification of Shikoku…

Welcome to neo/v/, where the average age is 13.

Sorry to let you know this user, but it's not that the kids are getting younger- you're getting older.

Man, I wish I was 13 again.

Oh man, goes to show how long ago this was.

I've been ranting about how good XI is. Never even played XII. Fuck. Take all that with a grain of salt since I couldn't even remember which installment in the series it was.

OK user, maybe I was too harsh. Try some of the older games before you get acclimatized to the new and flashy style.

Old, 90's KOEI strategies are the stuff of legends and most of those series only got flashier and less complex with new iteration.

I'm down with trying some of the older ones in the series. I'll quit being spoonfed and go read up.

Yeah I was a little confused because I saw that XII had some bad reception too.

IIRC they adapted rotk 4 or something to android so you can play it on your phone too, assuming you have one.

Oh also, a lot of the older rotk games are free downloads on kongmingarchives.you need to sign up to download em tho.

The best game KOEI ever made was Gemfire.
Fight me.

Also, if you like JRPGs fused with the NA/ROTK formula, then Inindo: Way of the Ninja will blow your mind. Best JRPG ever made.
Pics related.

this looks like what i want, but is there anything else like that?

You also get to commit acts of spying, sabotage and assassination as a hired ninja to the feudal lords to affect the grand strategy layer that calculates every month. When you gain enough trust with any lord, you can hire yourself as a general and take part in turn-based-strategy battles on a hex-grid.
Inindo is as revolutionary as the Guardian Legend - another game way beyond its time.

This is why there are no other games like Inindo or Guardian Legend. They're too good for the masses to accept.

I will definitely look this up, thank you.

I remember this getting pretty hard.

Be warned, the music is awful.

It does, for sure. It's important to build relationships with other travelling ninjas and ronin so you can hire them to help you out later on. You can solo most of the early game, though.

I think the music is pretty good, actually. It's just repetitive, because there's not much variety in it. Also the sound effects are pretty basic. It's an old game.

tfw you'll never have a RotTK/Kingdom Under Fire (crusaders and heroes specifically) hybrid game
tfw you'll never lead armies while fucking shit up on the field

I see your Gemfire and raise you a Celtic Tales