Wasteland 2 Thread

Director's Cut or not.

Any love for this game? If you've never played it, it's basically a new fallout (1 & 2, I mean), but with a squad (you can still pick up npc followers though). This is the game Ive been waiting for since 2000. I heard rumors they're working on a third one, and my panties are wet already.

I'm currently playing through the DC for the first time on supreme jerk (beat the regular version last year on ranger), and I'm here and there on the graphics (better in some ways, worse in others), but holy god damn is the game waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier in the DC version, even on supreme jerk.

I heard the weapons and other things got rebalanced, so I avoided doing an all assault rifles team like I planned for another run on the regular version, but I wish I had known that heavy weapons are still garbage, and gone for submachine guns instead. Otherwise I'm perfectly happy with it now, but it's just so easy compared to my first time through. If it had been like this my first time (as opposed to fairly frustrating), I think that would have been perfect.

Storyline is kinda SJW, but it's not in your face about it. You'd have to be a serious pollack for it to keep you from enjoying the game.

Anyway, let's have a discussion thread if anybody is up to it.

Other urls found in this thread:

shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/New_Islamic_Jihad
shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/USA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I bother with the first Wasteland?

I haven't played it yet. I'll probably try it sometime, but I hear it's very difficult to play, at least nowdays, because its so out-dated. It's the kind of old 80s games that give you no hints on how to play and what works or not, and I hear you need to take a lot of notes while playing.

It's not necessary to play the 2nd one.

What did he mean by this?

I found it way harder when I played it on max difficulty, only because the enemies became crazy unbalanced, the first boss had way too many action points, he was at the point where he was making as much moves as my team was in the same period of time, did they change shit like that?

You don't need it to understand the game or world but a few things are recursive and referential to the first game, just watch a lets play of it.

the one I have embeded is the absolute best lets play I've ever watched.

the version released through GoG includes the story passages in-game (normally read from a booklet when prompted because storage space)
if you're going to try it, that's the version to try

Technology is evil. Nuclear is evil. Militias are evil. Religion is evil (gotta agree there, but they targeted christianity exclusively). Faggotry is okay. I think all the villains were white. That kind of stuff.

You probably mean doctor larsen at ag center, and no they didnt change it. Jackhammer is still bullshit too.

I tried to get into it but it was not fun enough.
It's just a bother to setup before each combat, and no setup just makes your own people shoot at eachother.
The "choice" you make at the beginning makes little sense and it is very forced. The only logical decision is to know who the new follower will be, which of course you wont know unless you read it up.

Also every loot is randomized on opening loot container, which means you can just reload on opening if you didnt like the loot. This can also work against you if you die and reload.
Many skills works at random. Including perception to find hidden loot you know is there.

Christianity is prevalent in American society and this game is Americentric so using Christianity makes sense, and even then I thought it was pretty neutral, they didn't say the religion is evil they hinged it on the way the texts are interpreted, the best resolution for the ultra religious faction was to replace the leader with someone less zealous.

I don't think that's what they were saying at all, I think at face value this could be seen as this but I saw things as more neutral, the Red Skorpion's wren't evil just poorly managed and their main drive was their hatred for the Desert Rangers, the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud are a necessary evil and the best ending is giving them the atomic bomb, Children of the Citadel being evil and the destruction of the world by an nuclear equipped satellite array is not a condemnation of technology.

I don't remember a single gay character in the game but even then I don't see this as an issue since they didn't preach or shame people into their personal opinion.

Most people are white, you're reverse SJWing it here man.

That is such a fucking stretch, dude.

Unless it's Islam. Western RPG Devs always shove in a religion of peace character like what happen with Shadowrun return. Which is another SJW retconing. Because Islam was always portrayed as evil until now in shadowrun. For some reason it's always devs who work with RPGs that push pro Islam storyline. It should be a trope by now. shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/New_Islamic_Jihad

The game is pretty good except for TAKING FOREVER TO WALK ANYWHERE FUCK'S SAKE. I started this game at about the same time as Moe Chronicle and just played the Vita whenever I had to walk from one end of the map to the other. I finished Moe Chronicle, haven't finished Wasteland 2 yet.

Played it, it's alright. 6-7/10 kind of game. Feels more like Fallout Tactics than Fallout 1 or 2. Combat is ok but weapon balance is shit even in the Director's Cut. The story is very uneven, there are some good parts but also some areas and quests are super fucking contrived, like the really bad parts in Fallout 2. The character system is worse than SPECIAL, 10 different skills for guns is retarded, I don't give a fuck if the original had that. SJW tones were very light, the only thing that stuck out to me was the lesbians in one town HEY THATS MY WIFE THATS RIGHT IMM A GRIL AND SHES MY WIFE ISNT THAT GREAT? WERE UNDER ATTACK BY KILLER ROBOTS BUT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY WIFE SOME MORE

I expected something better but it's ok, considering how shitty most kickstarted games are this might actually be one of the good ones for all that's worth.

yeah, if you like faster paced stuff, this aint your game

I love all the little gritty stuff myself
its a pretty tactical game>>10017520
all true and understandably disliked, but it didnt bother me much

add in that most every enemy has a weapon but few drop any (better in the DC)

I, however, love all the gritty tactical decision making (and sometimes arbitrary difficulty)

well just fuck my shit up fam

Anybody ever done a solo supreme jerk run?

Im thinking of doing one with SMGs, but I dunno what other skills to pick. Ill probably optimize for action points.

At first you're like "This is neat, a bit like Fallout Tactics" but then you realize that is ALL the game has to offer. There is no actual roleplaying in there.

4 assault rifle users was all you needed to bitchslap this game iirc.

it was – ok– i finished it– and i finish like 1 in 5 games i make a serious start at.

thats not really true
there are plenty of outcome changing choices to make, on top of mechanical roleplay (sniper ambush vs charge in, for instance)

To be fair, Shadowrun is a fantasy game about magic hackers in a world where people still use terminal interfaces and multiple species live in relative harmony, so obviously they're going to push for the "religion of peace" being still relevant.

Gameplay was unbalanced ass but the overall story was pretty good.

Machine gun and assault rifles work well on the doctor.same for jackhammer. With jackhammer, you can ambush her before combat and potential take out most of her health.

I played a portion during the free weekend on both versions and I noticed it too. SMG, pistol, and shotgun, seam worthless as weapons. Never really got a chance to see how well the melee weapons were.

Shotguns can be useful with the right positioning, and melee weapons are ridiculously good if you spec a high enough AGL to rush down enemies. Unarmed is a struggle early on, but once you get Rebar Knuckles you can more or less destroy everything with punches.

Isn't this the setting where all the messianic Abrahaimic religions, from kikestians to mudslimes, were BTFO by animistic pagan aboriginal religions regaining their shamanic powers and majicking them into oblivion?

It was fine until I reached Railhead. My god the backtracking and boringness of it all. I dropped it shortly after. I liked the area with the gangs at that one place with the farms, but it all went downhill from there. Also the ugliest character creation I've seen. 5/10.

From what I remember Native Americans were able to summon spirits once magic returned to the world and fought against the US government. The US is split into like 5 different countries in Shadowrun. shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/USA

I played it a bit, and it felt absolutely average. Maybe a little below. The writing was lame, the world building nonexistent, the environments bland and samey.

Shadowrun is where suddenly one day in the normal modern world, dragons appeared and shit all over the world, and then spontaneously all of the magic was real.
It's a neat setting. The tabletop game system is beyond atrocious, forcing you to roll multiple handfulls of d6 dice per encounter - seriously, for some things you'll have to roll like 12d6 over and over again, it's absurd.

Give me shadowrun setting with Cyberpunk2020 ruleset and it'd be non-shit. The vidya is shit.

It's okay honestly. I think they have a good foundation for any good games of the same type. I didn't enjoy it tha tmuch because the lore was honestly kind of boring, and that's usually a huge deal for me.

But I think they should try again, use the same gameplay mechanics, and put around the game a more interesting setting.

>>>/fs/2193

uploaded on /fs/ ages ago

I don't see anything in the director's cut that makes it appealing for a second play through, ie no new content, just some added support and tweaks for graphics and balance.

the game's more like an early-mid 2000s Strategy RPG than a spiritual successor to Fallout imo

still a bretty gud game though

One thing that's puzzled me about these post-Kickstarter mid-market PC RPGs (WL2, PoE, AoD, Shadowrun, Underrail, Blackguards…) is the paucity of mods. All the big flaws with these games are confined to their scenario or balance, rather than anything fundamental. Their engines, audiovisual assets, interfaces, and most of their core mechanics are basically all free of cancer. The RPG genre in particular historically benefited from games whose engines are mod-friendly and easily recycled, like Gold Box or NWN series.

Most of them are made in something like Unity or Unreal, which I'd imagine are easier to mod than something insane like the ToEE or Fallout engines, yet modding scenes for these games are practically nonexistent compared to the classics.

Is there any sign this will change soon, and we'll see a flood of great original amateur PC RPG campaigns, plus fixes to these base games' campaigns?

probably not
mod babies don't actually like to play games, they just want to argue and bitch, which is why they pick the most popular games to fuck with

Takes balls to pick a quote like this for advertisement

I tried this for free during the weekend thing, and inXile is fucking retarded so only the non-DC version expired. Thanks for the free game I guess.

I played through a bit and ended up severely regretting the build of one of my characters. I think I got a bit past Jackhammer and stopped.

I want to enjoy this game. Build recommendations? Difficulty recommendations? The stat system seems really broken and several of the stats seem like easy dumps. Someone told me that CHA is averaged between all yoru squad instead of using whoever's talking, so I guess I'm dumping CHA on everybody?

I like the game enough. I unfortunately put around 20+ hours into the game, let it sit in my library, and then booted up the DC version that Wasteland 2 owners got for free thinking I'd start over and keep going.

But I don't wanna waste another 20 hours to get where I was.

Try looking, mods for those games exist, but if you want to know why there doesn't seem to be many it's because of the market of easily moddable games with better documentation or greater modding freedom that already exist. Also Shadowrun Returns actually has a buttload of mods already since Hairbrained Schemes released a modding sdk quite early, Wasteland 2s modding tools are relatively recent.

Fuck you're retarded.

You played through a little bit, Charisma is the total not the average, you just need to meet the total charisma for successful actions.

Try using someone else's save file and editing it, I know it's not ideal but it's better than playing that 20 hores again, or restart edit your save and arm yourself up and speed through that shit

The total of all members combined, then? So is it useful to have one of the four rangers not dump CHA and be the skill bitch or will that come back to bite me later when checks get tougher to meet?

I never found it to be an issue.

You suggesting that say some niggers and spics also qualify as people? :^)

Fucking cancer

What's the matter friend, did I trigger you?

I wouldn't be doing my job as an internet doctor if I didn't identify cancer when I see it.

Oh bullshit. I like taking potshots at how inept Fallout 3 is but Wasteland 2 doesn't compare to the original Fallouts, it's not even the same kind of RPG. Hell, I can't decide if it's even better than Tactics.

(Checked)
Dumb nigger.

And a fine shalom aleichem to you too

They left out some of the clothing options in the Dir Cut, pissed me off cuz no more balaclava

>someone called me out on my proxyfaggotry, I-ill call him nazi

Which means as someone else or for someone else not "I was just pretending"
Habla usted ingles?

Could be I'm wrong but considering our PPH in recent months and the way both ID's write I doubt it.

So, you're Sephardic as opposed to run-of-the-mill kike then? :^)

Oh you are accusing me of proxy, so apparently, I can change my IP, then change it back to the exact same IP address?
Wew, I'm some kind of spic techno wizard, and you claim your the master race?
Don't make me hue.

Fucking hell user. I mean there's shitposting and then there's posting shit.
Between intl-tier shenanigans, mark's mood swings, raids, /scurv/, /baph/, Holla Forums or general GG faggotry I doubt there's a semi regular faggot here that would repeat what you just wrote with a straight face.

Honestly I can't even tell if you're a newfag retard or just a retard pretending to be a newfag.

I'm still astounded that you think that I can bounce my IP off a proxy, then switch back to the old IP I was using earlier.

You're just bringing up off topic shit in order to flex, its just signaling trying to convince me you aren't a new friend from Holla Forums

Oh good someone summed up my feelings on poltards nicely.

dump luck, max int, have max charisma on your leader, otherwise try to optimize for action points and combat awareness (I think you want at least 12 or 13 CI to begin with, and like 15-17 eventually), action points should be like 9 or 10

don't worry about cha requirements for npcs, they're all worse than your own guys and you don't even need them anyway
even on hardest difficulty the game is still easy

best quirk is disnumeraphobia, but its cheesy (just make sure to only level up to even numbered levels)

Leader (cha 10):
shotguns/energy weapons (these used to be good against animals and robots, but now they're just for giving people debuffs via targeted shots), otherwise just use shotguns since she wont have enough AP to really make use of much else (and it still lets her potentially hit several enemies) and you wont have a high enough skill in it for targeted shots anyway (which you cant make with shotguns) - id probably just dump energy weapons and max out shotguns if I could go back
alarm disarming, demolitions, leadership, toaster repair, and 1 point in surgeon (you should always have a back up)

tough guy:
assault rifles, blunt weapons, hard ass (take intimidating perk at 4th level), mechanical repair, brute force, weaponsmithing

medic:
submachine guns, bladed weapons, animal whisperer, outdoorsman, field medic, surgeon, kiss ass (take the agreeable perk at 4th)

nerd/thief:
sniper rifles, pistols, smart ass (know it all perk at 4th), perception, lockpicking, safe cracking, computer science

I don't bother with barter at all, and heavy weapons are terrible
brawling is good, but I don't mess with it

I would actually give the medic computer science, and the nerd field medic, because my medic is lacking behind in exp while my nerd is rising ahead, mainly because I rarely need to heal

you wont even need npcs, but they'll make combat easier

have fun, and make sure to upgrade your weapons literally as soon as you can

oh whoops
my comment go deleted the first time I wrote it up
this time I forgot to say "here's the perfect party in my opinion"
im playing through with it on supreme jerk and its a breeze

hello new/pol/

Rate my ranger. I hope game is good.

I'm curious, how is the story SJW? I beat the original, and I'm halfway through the DC (Got bored, stopped) and I've never seen any SJW garbage in WL2.

The game is pretty decent, basically because of the combat. I supported it on Kickstarter enough to get a boxed copy too. Don't regret it, but I think the game gets a bit repetitive by the time you make it to California.

rate my squad for a first time playthrough

Bretty good.

good shit

back then, games came out with manuals, you had to read them, and no in game tutorials. altough some early and 80's adventure games had you guessing commands and random stuff to advance them

My biggest issue with this game was that it was basically Fallout without all the stuff that made the Fallout universe interesting.

Also the writing was pretty weak. Didn't the team that made this hire Avellone recently? That could lead to good things for a potential sequel.

Aniki/10

This is the only game I can recall where the graphics repulsed me. I guess I expected a little more than I should have. It looks like a late 2008 game.
It feels so amateur. Like a developer's second ever game. The gameplay also feels a little bit like they downloaded a module for their engine titled "Turn Based RPG Combat" and stuck it on. Back to graphics; I feel the artstyle itself is uninspired and repetitive.
It's trying too hard to be like a CRPG, rather than simply being one. For some reason, I coincidentally also dislike all of the other recent outcroppings of nostalgia bait, like PoE and Original Sin. They feel a bit like a forced remake in movie terms; they feel a bit like "Movie (2016)"
Perhaps I simply don't find "CRPG" formula fun. I've never really cared about these kinds of games, and when I did I didn't pay much mind to the story.

It's also nothing like Fallout. Maybe that's why I disliked it. I find Fallout far better in every single way. Namely in polish. Wasteland 2 feels like an unfinished game. Fallout 2, for instance, feels like a masterpiece, even though it's buggy as shit.
I was around when Wasteland first came out. I kinda hated it. It was really slow and the story was way too contrived and childlike for me, even back then. Why play than when I could play or Nethack? Or go outside?

Time to kick some ass

I appear to have had a stroke near the end there.

you deserve it

why

It isn't fun. The graphics look like default assets they bought off a website. The story is so uninteresting that I finished it and I could not tell you what it was about.
The maps were way too large for the setpieces placed in them. Too much of the game is just watching your units slowly pick their way over to the cursor. At least Fallout allowed you to run to the cursor extremely quickly.
The combat is the same as Fallout's, pretty much, which is pathetic since it's a squad-based game. Fallout combat but you need to micro four units before a turn ends, and most of the time you will be taking a knee and firing every turn.

People bring out the argument that Wasteland is not Fallout and that Fallout was originally supposed to be the sequel to Wasteland but it doesn't matter today when Fallout is much bigger and Wasteland 2 looks really bland compared to Fallouts. They knew most people backed it as "Fallout-like game that isn't Fallout 3" and not a sequel to Wasteland. The sequel to Wasteland was Fallout.

It's Unity with budget assets from multiple sources. And yes it looks like crap, I'm not even sure what they improved from the vanilla to DC, it looks the same: bad and cheap.

(checked)
The ugliness of the graphics doesn't repulse me nearly as much as the shit performance. They managed to make a game that would have been considered ugly in 2004 yet I can't even pull a consistent 60fps regardless of the settings.

Makes me glad I got the game for what it's worth: free, since those dumb niggers cocked up the free weekend so hard I got to keep it permanently.

samefag

That's Unity.

I was a backer and played it when it came out.

It's so shit. No love for detail, really dumb and awkward game design choices, extremely ugly player characters and NPCs, etc…

There are too many actually good games for me to waste my time with this piece of shit.

I'm also never backing a kickstarter again unless they have actual gameplay footage to show for and even then I would be extremely reluctant.

Fuck you.