Rune Factory Thread

Man I love this series. It's one of the few series that constantly improves upon the last game. Streamlining but not simplifying. Adding onto the game's strengths and throwing in a bunch of little things that create something big in the long run.

Frontier I believe is a flawed gem. Doing many small things just right but also having a lot of rough edges. I really like the pacing of it of this game too. It's slow, but every task matters in the long run. Just getting a little progression every day matters too. Everything you do levels up something and the NPCs are colorful, though they sadly don't have the amount of lines they could use like NPCs in the later games. The combat is simple enough to be easy to understand but has enough mechanics around it to keep you involved. Overall it's still one of the most relaxing games I've played and I can play for hours on end.

Crossing my fingers for a new game too. Giving 2 the Frontier treatment would be just fine in my book.

Bump

Frontier is my favorite game in the series. I know a lot of people like 4, but the world and waifus in that game seemed kind of dull to me.

Im currently playing 3 and romancing carmen, r8.

Everything about frontier was decent, except for the runey system. After neglecting it for two years I became unable to harvest any crops and had to restart my game. On my second playthrough I quit because relocating runeys was such a pain.

All I've played is 4. Feels like a massive upgrade from Harvest Moon DS. Only problem is I assumed that the story was on a time limit, so I bolted through it without training any skills.

That too is what ruined the game for me. They should have made it so you could move them in mass using Candy.

all i've played was oceans, i liked the combat, but over all it wasn't that fun.

i dont think this series is for me

Just use cheats to fix that "bug" in the game. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put that in the game.

My problem with Rune Factory is that I feel the farming and simple country life elements have fallen by the wayside in favor of waifus and shallow dungeoneering.

That said, before Rune Factory, I never really had to make a CHOICE in who to marry.

How do said cheats work? I'm assuming you mean for console and not an emulator.

Not sure how you use Action Replay codes on a console, but this is what I used:

04492BA0 32323232
04492BA4 1E1E1E1E
04492BA8 32323232
04492BAC 32323232
04492BB0 32323232
04492BB4 32323232
04492BB8 32323232
04492BBC 32323232

That should put your Runeys to 50 everywhere except at your Homestead (because Runeys don't eat each other there) and the Beach Road (there it should be frozen at a lower level), sine I've read somewhere that the Bonus doesn't apply if all the spots are filled with them.

its not like they are making the farming more simple while adding more shit to dungeons and waifus.

I might just run it on an emulator since my Wii U is doing this pink-green color shift on my television for Wii games.

Your livestock are now monsters for some reason. Monsters who, I might add, never have the same level of profitability as animals in previous games.

Had no issues playing it on Dolphin, so you should be fine.

How well does it work with mouse and keyboard? I haven't tried any Wii emulation yet.

Movement might be a bit awkward, I played it with an xbone pad which worked well.

Oceans is such a massive departure from the rest of the series though. It's like playing Zelda 2, hating it, and saying "man the Zelda series really isn't for me".

Might be worth it since it comes with the option to turn off Runeys.

Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

no, see, here's the deal, i played oceans specifically because it had a huge RPG/action aspect to it instead of focusing on farming and waifus.

it would be like saying "i played zelda 2 because i like platforming rpgs"

from what i can tell the rest of the games focus mostly on farming and socializing with NPCs

I think 3 and 4 have done better farming than most Harvest Moon games.

They combine all of it honestly. You socialize to get people to join your team. You farm to get more money to help with crafting and food. You cook more to make NPCs like you faster and to live longer in dungeons. All of this applies to the fourth game. You can even have your family fight with you like Dragon Quest V.

I agree on Frontier being best, though i liked the Disgaea tier grinding and forging you could pull off in 4 to become a demigod. I really liked the setting and a lot of the little things they did in it.

I'm kinda doubting we will get another at this point though. Like they said they want to do one but its just been way too long since the last release at this point.

Hell what has the team been doing? I know they made that Forbidden Magna game but after that i haven't heard shit.

This is one of the few series in general I would actually love to have another game along with Ninja Gaiden. I don't see why it being so long since the last game would matter. It's a niche series and when it's put on the table, we'll grab it.

Never got to beat the console games in the series, which is really sad since I liked both of them.
Still, I really want Compile Hearts to do a crossover with Marvelous to make a new Rune Factory-esque game using the Neptunia girls.

Of course, a Rune Factory 5 would be great as well. Just hope they make unlocking New Game + much easier this time. Still haven't unlocked it in 4 and probably won't.

If they make a rune factory 5, they better get rid of the RNG crap, because that is one of few things where they took a huge step backwards.

Oh right, that too. Took like 3 seasons for the bloody third act to start for me.

I really tried playing frontier. I think i have a 60 hour-ish save file. I just kind of ignored runeys until it was too late, sometime around end of summer beginning of fall. Then i spent about 10 hours trying to fix it. It just so boring so fast. But my favorite overall is probably tides of destiny. It has the best combat, i just wish it had good farming.

I like Neps but I would rather have new, unique characters. Besides I don't think they would allow you to marry goddesses. I wouldn't mind if Tsunako did the art though.

Eh. I just felt that the Gamindustri area would allow for a lot of quests with a lot of girls that already have a large following instead of having to create new girls and create new characterization for them and everything.
Though having new characters with Tsunako art would always be welcome since Tsunako is pretty much a goddess herself, so I wouldn't be opposed to that either.

I blame Inajewne.

You're sitting on a goldmine, CH.

That's what I'm hoping 4 Goddesses Online will be like. But that obviously won't have the whole having kids part that Rune Factory Neptunia would have.