Brawlhalla Thread

Man, I've been seeing this game on steam for a long as time, I never paid attention to it because it just looked like a shitty 2d smash clone.

Anyone else play this? What's your main?

I play asuri myself because her airplay is great.

h-hello?

I played this once while chugging whiskey and after I passed out it said I was logged on for 15 hours. The streaks of vomit on my carpet was more interesting than this game

I recall playing it with a 8board group, it was rather simple.
It was alright to play a couple of rounds, but it was kinda stale. But that was more than a year ago so i don't know if it changed.

>Brawlhalla is an ebin early access 2D Smash clone for up to 8 players online or locally. And it's a freemium game. Join casual free-for-alls, queue for ranked matches, or make a custom room with you friends. Millions Thousands of players. Frequent updates. Over twenty unique legends (Unlock all current and future Legends with the Brawlhalla - All Legends Pack for only $19.99) and up to $114.99 to get all the DLC available.

Also, if you want replies try explaining the game for people who don't know much about the game or provide anything worthwhile to the conversation, hell, make a "platform fighter thread" so there's a more general discussion.

All I can comment about the game is in regards of the generic art direction and use of "cut out / motion tweened" characters in a fighting game, it looks cheap like a flash game and that, as a Smash clone, it doesn't seem to try to differentiate itself from Smash as it looks like they carbon copied the main elements from it. Even if the game is "free" the fact that it has been an early access game for several months while having DLC just doesn't sit well with me.

It's incredibly uninteresting. An overglorified flash game.

But that's wrong. Airplay is completely different, you can use your ground specials in the air if you dodge at the correct time, you can also use two specials in the air instead of one, making it easier to recover and more advanced airplay possible. The ledge system also compliments this by being a vertical wall rather than a single ledge that only one character can use at once, this makes off stage play very interesting.

As for the dlc, its so you can unlock all the characters rather than unlocking them through playing. In game, you can't purchase characters with micro transactions and can only buy legends through coins obtained through play, they cycle out all the legends available to players who dont want to purchase them similar to how league of legends does it, where different heroes will be available every week. If you absolutely found a main and want to keep him, just spent like 3900 coins which about an hour of play to unlock them permanently. Everything else in the store is purely cosmetics like skins, which is what all the dlc is. The gameplay focuses more on the movesets of the weapons rather than the characters. So the normals/light attacks of all characters are identical when holding the same type of weapon, the only exception is unarmed combat, where the entire character's moveset is unique to them. All heavy/specials are unique to the character, even if they use the same weapon type.

Another big difference from smash that I'm really enjoying in this game, is that you can throw your weapons at any time, this makes for a great interrupt that anyone can use.

Obviously, you can counter it by catching it or dodging it, but its still nice to have.

They also don't have a shielding system in the game, so you need to rely on proper spacing and dodging instead.

As for the animation style, I also thought it looked bad at first glance, which is why I ignored it all this time and only just now played it out of absolute boredom and I have to say the animation quality is fine.

I'd also like to add that the netcode is far better than smash's ever was. I don't know how this game was over a year ago, I heard it had problems. But I was playing against a friend in germany on eu servers, and I live in us west.

There was no observable input lag or warping at all.

Yeah, I just looked at gameplay from 2015, apparently they even completely redrew all the character animations and everything, wow.

here's some example gameplay that shows it.

I think it's pretty fun. But I never played Smash, so what the fuck do I know.

I like it. The characters are very varied and have their own movements that completely change your strategies, and the airplay is top notch

Alright, I'll bite.
The air play you're raving about is fucking terrible. It takes forever to get a decisive blow, with giant blast zones and the ability to pretty much always recover from any position. I like to go deep in Smash, but two specials? The enemy can always recover from a distance much greater than you can pursue safely.

The unarmed movesets are NOT unique. Everyone has the same attacks there, too. Characters are little more than their armed specials and weapon selection, which is perfect to bundle up and sell to dumbass children but as any grown ass man should be able to tell you, that's fucking lame.

The items can't be switched off (for comp fans) and have no real variety (for everyone else). You have, what, weapon 1, weapon 2, bomb, mine, spike ball, and Summon Weapon?

Throwing items around isn't new or exciting, but I'll give you this - it's more fun than the rest of this dogshit game. It's how I used to play Smash as a kid, when I didn't care about what my character could do and just wanted to hit guys. A detriment for Smash, but in Brawlhalla I can see how it'd be a blessing.

OP is either a shill or a pleb. Possibly both. If you had an ounce of taste you'd have recommended Rivals Of Aether instead, and I don't even think that's very good either.
I'm bitter about the way Smash turned out and not even I think a casual shitheap like Brawlhalla is worth the time.

Oh. And you forgot to mention that hosting your own room requires your friend to input a generated passcode, instead of anything remotely better we've come up with in the past 20 years. It's petty, I admit, but it looks as cheap as the garbage assets.
Get that cock out of your mouth, then get your cock out of Holla Forums.

user, if you're going to quote me, do it properly. I said it doesn't seem to differentiate from Smash. I can't compare specific elements of the game because I haven't and won't play Bwaalhalla, but you can't say it doesn't look like Smash with the heavy hits that send you flying and the "circle" camera when a character is out of the frame. At least it doesn't seem to have the percentage meter thingy in the interface.

Didn't say it was bad, I said it looks cheap, that is quite subjective and a nitpick from my part since it's one of those games that have a very zoomed out camera and probably doesn't need a lot of detail, but still cheap.

And I really, really, really don't want to out you as a shill or a dev from the game, but you are sugarcoating almost everything you say about the game. You are either kinda obsessed with a free game or someone that wants to promote the game, and I know there's a lot of fanaticism for games, but c'mon. I hope you don't do it for the same price of the game, sans DLC, of course.

wew

Bad opinions the post, not to mention that you're flat out wrong about the lobby system, it has steam works integration. Rivals of aether doesnt even attempt to bring in unique mechanics and just goes straight for the low poly clone. I also think the minimal amount of item choices minimalizes rng and makes weapon throwing a valid mechanic for comp play rather than being something that should be turned off. Not everything needs to be like your precious melee.

Because its an objectively good game that I believe everyone should at least try, I even bought the legends pack within the first 3 hours because I finally found a game that felt like a valid alternative to smash that wasn't complete dogshit.

Just play the fucking game faggot, I didn't even make this fucking thread to promote the game or even bring up what it offered, all I did was create a thread in the hopes of discussing something that I'm enjoying highly right now and just proceed to get shit on.

I played it back in the day, it was pretty shit. I just redownloaded it on op's advice.

He was right, it is an entirely different game now. I've having so much fun.

At least SOMEONE has actually attempted to play it.

Who is your main?

a low poly, shitty indie placeholder art clone yes.

Well OP didn't do a good job of giving a proper introduction of the game.

Many probably recall it from the TB's video, though it changed quite a lot by now.

First off, every "legend" got 2 different weapons for example, lance and axe. While on the battlefield you can pick up weapons and get either of those weapons. You can throw them too if you like.

Also there aren't that many characters, but enough that for every playstyle there is someone. They also continue to bring new stuff in the game, for example the newest Legend has gauntlets with a completely new moveset.

Speaking of which, the movesets are hella easy for each character. On the ground you have light attack and signature attacks. Light attacks are the same for the weapon no matter the legend, but signature attacks are unique to each Legend and their weapons. It's a little bit like the tilt and smash attacks from SSB.

Airplay feels floaty as fuck at first, but once you know how to make a gravity cancel, dodge mid air into signature attack you feel like motherfucking Son Goku shreking everyone who even thinks on touching your edge.

Also I suppose some people might be turned off by the fact that there are item drops in the ranked match. However those items don't have any massive impact and they aren't that present. At first you have your weapons, then a bomb, a spiked ball, a mine and a horn. Each one of them can be easily dodged and it throws in some variety.

All in all, it is a proper smash-like fighting game, which delivers plenty of unique aspects to be different, unlike Rivals of Aether. It's free to play so it's always forth checking it out.

Only downside I can think of it, is that it is f2p and you need to unlock the legends or buy them all for 20 bucks also the graphic looks like a shitty flash animation, but the looks are more then deceiving.

Also in the video you see the new moveset and combos with the new legend.

It IS a shitty 2D smash clone. Play Rivals of Aether. It's a not shitty 2D smash clone

Just get the superior smash clone

Care to point out why?

It has less characters, has some mediocre at best pixel graphics, you have to pay 15 bucks for it, it is still early access, brings literally nothing new to the smash formula and currently has an average of 81 players.

On the other hand Brawlhalla is free to play and gives you more characters in the current rotation then Rivals of Aether offers in total, it is not just a carbon copy of smash, costs only 5 bucks more when if you want all legends unlocked and has currently an average player base of 5303 players.

So really name me one reason why I should give a livid shit about some dead early access game that wanted to rip off smash.

Are you fucking me? The smoke clones, the ice armor, orcane's teleportation, the shield mechanic, maypul's tagging mechanic, the platform recovery and kragg's rocks?
Have you even fucking seen any of it?

At least they look like they have some form of effort put into them. Brawlhalla looks like a fucking mobile game.

More characters don't count for shit when most of them play the same.
If you want empty floaty garbage then fuck off and play brawlhalla. If you want something at least a little bit more fast paced, then play Rivals.

Honestly, better yet, just play PM or melee or brawl minus.

this game is fun, im plat ranked atm and got over 300 hours. everyone on Holla Forums is just a jaded cunt.

its pretty obvious by your shitpost there you've hardly got any logged hours into the game yet you seem totally ok with talking crap about it on length .

nice b8 m8 I r8 8/8

Also you can't argue numbers, for the PC there is hardly any better choice for a brawl game at least similar to SSB. If Rivals or Aethers would have a huge thriving community it would be an entire different story, but right now it is one of thousands early access games with declining player count.
No amount of people whining and saying "but Aethers is superior!" will bring back a dead game.

Op here, I was highly demotivated when I saw all the shitty responses this thread was getting, I'm glad to see there are SOME people out there with decent tastes and an open mind.