PlayStation platformers

Which series is the best and with the exception of Ratchet and Clank, which one would you bring back and how?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pcLnBwCb0Ps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There was. It was Japan onry I hear

GEX

Croc

Mah nigga! I played so much of the Jumping Flash 2 demo that I damn near memorised the available level.

Yeah, but it wasn't by the original devs, also it sucked compared to 1&2.

Ape escape

Ape Escape has always been my favorite, it would be nice to see it make a comeback with it's nice comfy music and 3D platforming. Have a 4 player co-op with challenges as well as some new story.

I'd want GEX with it's cartoon humor and just to hear that cheeky Gecko being silly as well.

Ah, I see.

What a shame. Sony always seems to kill every potential mascot they have can get. They dont even have just one like MS has.

I thought MS had 2: Halo and Gears of war

Master chief and marcus whatever

I say that because Halo was always the face of the Xbox brand.

Though they killed it with MCC

At the time I couldn't admit it to myself, but Jak isn't as good as Ratchet, and Ratchet isn't as good as Sly, and none of them are as good as Ape Escape. I only wanted to like Jak best because I liked Crash best, and I wanted to like Ratchet next because I liked Spyro second best. And who even heard of Rocket: Robot on Wheels? So I didn't have brand loyalty for Sly's devs. But in reality it's the best of the big three on PS2.

But Ape Escape beats all of them. Likewise, I wouldn't admit this as a kid, I guess because I didn't own it. But while Jak, Ratchet, and Sly sacrifice platforming for other elements like driving, shooting, exploring, and stealth, Ape Escape manages to be both a great platformer and a great adventure game at the same time. Spyro is a great game, but its platforming is meh when it bothers. Crash does platforming and nothing else. Ape Escape manages to have levels that let you do all sorts of things at once. You have to learn to be stealthy to sneak up on the monkeys. You have to explore because there are tons and tons of secrets. You have to get good at shooting and even sections that are like driving (mostly with the hoop on various tracks). It's just extremely good at everything it does, while Jak is more "pretty good" at all sorts of things. The Jak of all trades, but master of none.

Also Jumping Flash is in a league of its own as such a unique series. This was intended to be Sony's mascot at launch, and they just abandoned him and left him there to rot. They didn't even have the decency to put him in Battle Royale, and he would have worked so well.

I hear Tomba's rights are in some legal mumbo jumbo. Did they even release the english version on the PS Store yet? I guess it doesn't matter since PS1 classics don't work on PS4 so they can try to jew you for their dumbass digital rental service. But at least if it's a rights issue I can't blame Sony wholly for not bringing it back, unlike Jumping Flash, MediEvil, Ape Escape and Jak and probably Sly unless we hear something about Sly 5 soon. Are there even any other platforming RPGs like Tomba? That's another super unique series and it was amazing.

TOP TIER
Crash
Spyro
Ape Escape

STILL GREAT TIER
Sly>Ratchet>Jak

UNIQUELY AWESOME AND NEED TO BE BROUGHT BACK TIER
Jumping Flash!
Tomba

NEVER REALLY PLAYED IT EXCEPT IN THOSE JAMPACK DEMO DISCS TIER
MediEvil

The answer is bring back all of them. I don't know why Sony doesn't want my money.

Why does Sony even own any ip's?

Both are on the US PSN for PS3, PSP, and Vita.

Ape Escape
Croc

Spyro, but it's just personal preference.

I love Spyro but it exhausted everything the formula could do in the first 3 games, same with Crash. Sly is great but the first is best and every game after is just Sly 2 with different coats of paint. J&D was never that great R&C I only played the demo of the first one and felt I'd tasted everything the game had to offer.

I think I'm going to have to give it to MediEvil, it wasn't my favorite by far, in fact at times I found it legitimately frustrating, but I want to revisit the atmosphere of the first game (fantasy world, none of that real world London shit like in the sequel) with some polished controls/camera angles.

Medieval has room to grow, the others don't (out of the ones I've played, obviously).

This is why Spyro 1 is the best in the series, it focuses the most out of all 3 on platforming, no minigames except for the flight levels, it's also the only one with blind glides.

I'm not going to even try and pic one as best but I'd bring back Gex. Shit was fun and you'd probably not get away with sticking a playmate igame as a character nowadays.

Guys.

What if.

Listen.

What if we just take what made the old games good.

And we just build the game.

And we just build the game with the platforming first and build everything around it?

What is Anton and Coolpecker? Seriously what is that game and what happened to it?

in a better universe, ape escape took advantage of the motion control gimmick and is still going strong to this day. in fact yumi made it into smash bros instead of cloud

Crash Bandicoot 2 ofc.

You played that PS Pocket spin off too?

you say that like that would be a bad thing

Spyro 1 is the most artistically accomplished of the three, but 2 and 3 are more fun and varied when talking animals aren't interrupting you.
I love playing 1 just to look at the landscapes and listen to the soundtrack. It has a weirdly oppressive (but strangely compelling) frozen in time, animated painting feeling because everything is so static. That doesn't really lend itself to exciting gameplay, though, it's pretty dull and lifeless overall, especially considering how easy it is (it was made for babies, but even Crash is much more challenging).
I can't explain why, but the emptiness of Spyro 1 is something that makes me like it more than 2 or 3. I guess it's just less in-your-face and annoying.
It'd be nice to see more odd little games about exploring floating islands.

You ripper!

Now there's something I'd like to see again.

That arkham style remake looked pretty dumb, but I'd love to see a remake that had Twisting level designs, thematic bosses, enemies that resembled the bosses, and genuinely tricky zelda puzzles.
Use all the giant blocks you want to!

I want summer to end

I strongly disagree. The PS2 games in both series had ideas on how to evolve the series in logical ways. Spyro tried to add bigger levels, a more open world, different types of flames. All logical ideas to evolve things. Too bad the games sucked. Crash Twinsanity tried to move Crash to a move open world with bigger levels and it worked, even if it wasn't as good as the old games, but once again this game was rushed as fuck and they cut like half the intended content. Jak 1 was likewise basically just Crash on PS2 with the name changed, and it was great, albeit fairly short. I would kill for more of that.

I don't see the problem with this. The only reason I don't like 3 as much as 2 is because it's shorter, and I don't like 4 as much because it's too easy, but otherwise they're great. 4 had a great idea to have multiple characters that all operated basically the same but with slightly different moves, like the old Sonic games did. If that game wasn't so fucking easy it could have been the best one.

I strongly disagree. As far as platforming goes, Jak 1 might be one of the best games ever, it's just too short, as first games in a series tend to be. I would love to see more Jak games in the style of the first instead of the others. But even then, I'd love more like the others. I waited for years after Jak 3 for another, one that builds off the ending where Jak is Mar. Then The Lost Frontier happened and was a meh PSP game that played more like Ratchet than Jak.

You really missed out, then. For one thing, the game offers a bunch of different levels, which you didn't play in the demo. It has different weapons and enemies and gadgets. And the sequel adds new mechanics which make the gameplay much more deep. You're missing out.

Reminder that PS Move Ape Escape could have been an actual full Ape Escape game where you swing the Move like a baton and net, or spin it above your head like a helicopter, or point with it to control the RC car, or spin it to use the hoop, or pull it to launch the slingshot. Ape Escape was the perfect franchise to show off what the Move could do, and Sony wasted it on a fucking rail shooter.

Crash 1 is hard as fuck. And good luck getting all the Platinum Relics in Warped or beating Oxide's ghost on every track in CTR.

THank you. I've wanted this wallpaper back for so many years. I remember before the second game came out and you had to play some shitty flash games on their website to unlock it.

Anyways, Medieval and Jersey Devil.

Those were both shit though.

Gex is okay. Playing Gex 2 recently, I had a lot more fun with it than I did with Rayman 2.

Trying to play Croc more recently though made me realize it had Bubsy-tier controls. I still want to go back to it, but then I'm the type of sucker who wants to go back to Bubsy 3D, too. The controls are just shit for a platformer.

I'm working on it mang, were gonna have a thread sometime soon when we complete the first level

youtube.com/watch?v=pcLnBwCb0Ps

I just love this song so much

not playstation exclusive. also the first game is on steam now.

No, and no.

Not in this industry.

You already posted the best one, OP.

Reminder that the naughty dog people had literally nothing to do with crash's design and take all the credit for it repeatedly. The game with the shitty crash design actually wasnt bad.