Games that put story first

Too many games put the story on the back burner; something to bring up every once in a while. I've grown tired of playing games for their game play, as everything feels the same. Can we get a thread going of some great story driven games. Too many lists online have shit like skyrim.

Is there any games that may not have had the best game-play, but had a great story that kept you playing? Something that kept the story going the whole game, and didn't have boring stints of gameplay with no story.

You had one fucking job, OP. One job.

I'd recommend Trails in the Sky and the rest of the Trails series. The story is nothing special really but the way its presented just immerses you. It's also famous for having autistic amounts of side stories for every single NPC that progresses alongside with the main story.
The gameplay is simple yet engaging enough without any need for griding due to its XP scaling system and dungeons don't drag on forever like most JRPGs.

The gameplay in this game was actually pretty tense when it wanted to be since Alan was just a normal dude who couldn't take more than 3 axe swings to the chest. If that game was made now, it'd be just another cover shooter, but in the woods. And because this game was unique and different, it didn't sell 9 million copies so it doesn't warrant a sequel. Fucking hate this industry.

Spec Ops The Line
Really enjoyable even if just for the story.

Is remedy's new game good? Is it still windows 10 only?

Witcher games. Story, choices, characters, mood, and world building are handled very well and certainly were put above game play.

Sam Lake said multiple times that he would love to revisit Alan Wake. Maybe when they get out of the Faustian deal they made with Microsoft, Remedy will make a sequel. Wasn't Quantum Break the last game they were obligated to make for them?

Is it just me or does Lake sound like he is about to cry in that video?

Probably because they really wanted to make a sequel, but they were limited by budgets and publisher interference.

Then play different games you nigger.

I liked Alan Wake, it was good and so was its soundtrack.
Fallout and Deus Ex series. Not much comes to mind.
If you don't mind no gameplay, some VNs. Stanley parable is witty, but not really a story. Then there are point and clicks.

Maybe if it was made into a movie, but it clashes with the gameplay. Since you're "controlling" the character but can't actually decide anything in the story, it conflicts with the message since any judgement made on the protagonist is extended towards the players. Which is why people felt like it "guilt tripped" people for choices they couldn't avoid.
I didn't mind the gameplay, i never played many cover shooters.

never quite got that argument about SO: The line

Sometimes the way you handled something doesn't matter in the end. You have no control over it. Sometimes there's choices you can't avoid.

Guess it depends on the person who played it. For me, I played right into its hands most of the time. I was presented choices, and the reactions allowed in game, were more or less how I feel like I would react personally.

Gone Home. It seems like a typical spooky house horror game, but there is a really nice twist at the end, I think you will love it.

:^)

Except the cancer killing the industry right now is cinematic games where the story dictates everything.

trails in the sky is shit

No. It had a beyond broken release, and it has 25 minute TV show cut scenes in the game, and no I'm not joking they're actually TV shows with real life actors. Imagine going from playing to a game to stopping and watching a TV of that same game but with real people for 30 minutes. It's beyond bad.

You say that, but when did any of those games have a story worth caring about? The "cinematic" experience isn't about adding more story, it's about removing gameplay.

Kek, go read a book.
nier is pretty good

It was definitely unique, but I think it needed more to make it good. It reminds me of RE4 because you're actually expected to avoid most of the attacks enemies use, compared to the average FPS where you just have to soak up bullets and either abuse the regenerating health or make sure you get enough pickups to stay healthy. Compared to RE4 though there's just way less variety of gameplay which I'd say is Alan Wake's biggest flaw. Flashlight mechanic can also be annoying at times.

I definitely enjoyed both Alan Wake games, especially since they had such great stories and settings. Unfortunate to see how Microsoft seems to have screwed over Remedy but hopefully they can get another publisher and make a good game. But I suppose you have to wonder if Remedy might have some fault since both Alan Wake and Quantum Break had troubled developments.

I'm really debating whether to buy Quantum Break for Windows 10 (Since I'm too lazy yet to return to 7) right now that there's 25% discount on the Windows store… or just wait until Microsoft realizes their 'game' store is shit and they end up offering Quantum Break on Steam too. After all, they have sold very few PC copies to justify making it W10 exclusive.

What do you think will happen?

Maybe you should leave.
THIS IS NOW A REDDIT CONTAINMENT THREAD

Why would you want to buy it? It's shit, it's literally a TV show with gameplay sections in between the 30 minute TV cutscenes, and it runs like ass on PC. It's an Arkham Knight tier port.

I do, m8.
Joe Abercrombie is the shit.

played all the mechanics. When a game comes out these days, the only thing I can say I haven't experienced in it, is the story it provides. Games are no longer so young that new types of games can be created. They've all been made, it's why everyone is going back to retro styled games. There's nothing new to do, so they go back to the old. Every game that comes out can be compared to a game that's already been out for a while.

That's fine, if they can bring a damn good story that's with you the whole ride. Unfortunately that doesn't happen too often.

I liked Alan Wake so far to give Remedy another chance. I might not even buy it at all, but what I really want to know is how long it will take Microsoft to realize their store is shit and to backpedal their statements, as they AAAAAAAALWAYS do.

This is what you do. You go to emuparadise and look for a random game that sounds interesting and you play it. You dont look at gmeplay or pictures, you just play it. Maybe its good, maybs its bad.

Firewatch

This. The combat really drags well before the game is over. Not because what it has is bad, but because it just doesn't have enough going on. It needed more player mechanics, more enemy variety, more… something.

Also, I think I would have rather ditched batteries entirely in favor or the flashlight auto-recharging only. That way more enemies would be a serious problem instead of simply time to dig into your battery pocket.

Homeworld, MGS

Visuals form a part of the story. In MGS the cold was emphasised by puffs of breath shown as clouds.

For there to be a story it has to be serious first. Trying to be more.

Story doesn't need to be told or have dialogue.
World just needs to be believable. No animu looks or actions. Nothing TV and by that I mean filler TV, good shows are good stuff. Nothing social, newsmedia etc.

World needs to be seperate from all that as should all world with all that non existant. Not reals stuff.

For a story only real stuff. The rest aren't important in rendering priority. A waste of performance.

I played some adventure games where the screen was a picture and there was text to imut to mode and do things, such games may not exist now. Gameplay was a problem to overcome in progression, part of gameplay itself. Like playing a game in another language, it is part of the strangeness. It controls the progression, is against it and there may be a way around it, may be there always is.

Stages the story. Places everything, problem and reward.

Game made for there to be a world, with tex the more you ask the more that is there, denied information also a barrier to another place, sure there is more there, there is a fantastic world.

Story isn't tacked on, it is an unknown that happens as perfection is built.

Where the fuck have you been?

Just DLd. Bretty good.

Reminded me I still need to finish Baldurs gate too, lol.