Helicopter Vidya Thread

IT AIN'T ME

Inb4 someone posts the crab in an attack helicopter WEBM and it will have tons of people asking for sauce

You making a request user?

Being a door gunner wouldn't make for a very engaging game tho. You need to be able to pilot the helo as well (or have co-op with multiple door gunners being other players).

I wish EA hadn't killed the Strike series.

I've been playing Under Defeat recently after watching some of the few playthroughs online. Dreamcast version, since it runs better. Pretty fun, but having not really played the genre before- helicopter shmups or shmups in general- it's pretty difficult to learn from scratch. I feel like I'm too bombshy, since I'm very intent on getting the full war contribution score and don't want to lose credit by using bombs at the wrong time for that, which is often the right time for clearing bullets off the screen, and I refuse to move on without getting the levels perfect and not dying more than once on the bosses. Haven't gotten past 2 for that compulsion. Any other anons tried it? What's the key I'm missing, beside basic genre skills & muscle memory? I'm using the cannon option relatively religiously, since it is exceptionally accurate and distributes damage very well over multiple or single targets. Not so sure of the rocket, whiff too much this early in learning. Vulcan's a little underwhelming too, since it follows the player.

Two helicopter games I liked were Comanche Maximum Overkill and Apache Assault. I was disappointed that Apache Assault didn't have a more realistic mode and the multiplayer sucked but nevertheless the single player was reasonably fun.

now I want to see it, someone post it please

Just see if you can get through the stages, imperfections and all. Also the HD re-release plays pretty much exactly the same, and it even has the same slowdown which I think they should have fixed, but I guess it has its own charm to it along with a few other bells and whistles, like new helis and an art CD. Under Defeat us unique in the fact that you can rotate the helicopter to fire at an angle and depending on how fast you press the fire button as you turn, you can shoot at a shallower angle. but, as you play, you'll gradually memorize where the dudes come from and when and you'll get better and last longer.

No, I don't know sauce.
But I'd love a Silkworm or S.W.I.F. with modern tech. Would be like that? How's the 360 version?

It was literally their biggest franchise at one point. It is better that way, modern EA would completely destroy the franchise, they pulled out a Capcom.

We Gulf War now.

ARMA gets close.

The sauce is sabagebu. Highschool girls doing soft air guns and other shit. 10/10

So anons, who is the God of Helicopters?

Ech. It just feels so shittery after watching the smooth 1CC, it seems like it should come easy, but it doesn't. I got it in my head that I might be able to squeak through the later levels if I can just keep enough credits for the last leg by perfecting the early ones. It's probably just a recipe for frustration, I guess.

Really? I read the Dreamcast version was an arcade perfect port, while the HD version was the source of some of the slowdown, in addition to fiddling with enemy spawns.

I did figure this much out both by watching and doing it, although I haven't come up with any specific utility for it.

Yeah, I suppose.

I'm afraid not, although it is very good. Under Defeat is essentially weeb-wehraboo Twin Cobra. You fly a suped-up dieselpunk attack helicopter with one all-target vulcan cannon and two air-to-air machine guns, and it has a kind of single-stick poor man's twin stick in that moving sideways turns your guns, either to the side which you are traveling or in reverse mode (which more or less everyone seems to use for superior maneuvering of both gun and copter) turns them the opposite direction. Then, there's the relatively unique Option mechanic. Option is Engrish for your secondary weapons, which are launched with your normal fire button when charged come in the form of three deployable drones; the vulcan option is a copy of your main gun which follows you directly and fires ahead in the direction you were firing at the time, the cannon option which independently zips around the screen to one-shot moderate enemies and pinhole big ones, and the rocket option, which hovers roughly in place before firing a rocket with very dim tracking capability in the direction you were facing and generally destroys anything other than huge enemies' main bodies in a single shot.

However, these have ascending recharge times, about half of which is spent on a red descending bar in which you can fire freely, and the other half requiring you to stop firing for the whole half duration of an ascending green bar, with any fire interrupting it entirely. Anything destroyed by the Option, furthermore, gives double points. Makes for an interesting dynamic. Also, picking up the same Option as the one you already have gives you a fat point bonus. You also have bombs, which you start with two of if I'm not mistaken, and can acquire one in the first level and two every following level. Standard screen clearer, deals fat damage and removes all bullets. These also give points if you're over your bomb limit.

The plot is pretty thin, and apparently thinner in the international releases compared to the original Japanese, but it goes as follows; you're a pair of waifu pilots for The Empire, which is anime Nazi Germany, and are fighting The Union, who are the Allies and the non-German Axis. A ceasefire had recently been declared, but the Union engages in a despicable sneak attack. You fly your tightly-designed dieselpunk supercopter and destroy various other dieselpunk superweapons in defense of the Empire, which entails a lot of really pretty enemy designs, smoke and explosion effects, all of which are absurdly efficient for the Dreamcast in their graphical quality. Figures, since it was one of the very last releases for the console, coming very late in Octobor of 2005. Also, you get comfy vintage photos of said waifus at the end of every level, both during and before the wartime.

Supposedly, the HD versions are not arcade perfect ports, where the Dreamcast version is. The former will have slowdown and the enemy placement can vary slightly. Also, it has a new OST, although from my understanding the old OST still appears in at least Arcade Mode. Both are very good, although I think the original is a little better. I think it's a hidden gem. And, all that said, I'd love an Under Defeat sequel in the style of Silkworm, with one ground player and one air player. You could even have the level swap between vertical scrolling levels and horizontal ones for two complementary gameplay styles. It's a longshot that G.Rev would revisit the series, though. A shame.

Better to show than tell, I think. Here's a 1CC, although I'm pretty sure it's not without deaths.

Literally the most helpful review I've ever read, guess I'll have to add it to my bargain bin hunting list.

Glad to be of service. If you had a dreamcast, you could go searching for a GD-ROM torrent, but it's a bit hard to find. Not impossible, just hard. I think the size was around 250-ish megabytes or something, just so you know what to look out for and avoid fakes. Otherwise, bargain bin it is.

Nah, 360 version. Know I've seen it somewhere, just unsure in which specific store and the question remains if they still have it. We'll see.

That's probably Gintama. That kind of stupid shit is exactly what one would find in Gintama.

See

It's not bad, but it's not serious at all except for being accurate with weapon portrayals.

Novalogic Comanche series was the last attack helicopter games i played not counting Ace Combat Assault Horizon chopper sections

I'd say Arma comes closest to offering what you're asking for but it's so godawful in many other and much more important respects hat I'd advise you stay the hell away from it.

helicopters are planes for men

I found 3 to not be too bad outside of garbage optimization. Doesn't have the retarded control scheme bullshit of 2 and feels a lot less clunky
That said I just do sandbox flight and fuck around in helicopters so it's not like I'd run into many of the game's flaws

Wonder what an inevitable cashgrab remake of Airwolf will look like?

I remember playing Super Thunder Blade. Fun times.

white woman and black man as pilots
shitty hip hop music
the ability to customize airwolf like its a car in saints row

← Play this gem as well.

Shame the most recent helicopter vidya I can think of is essentially World of Helicopters made with the godawful Unity Engine.

Kek

Looks interesting yet shit at the same time.

HOOOOOOOOOL UP

That was fucking dank.

The little kid inside me just gets a giant hard-on for these cheesy FMV's.

FMV thread when?

So what helicopter would you like to hold hands with anons?