Games that didnt get the recongnition they deserved

This was the best superhero\capeshit\whatever game since The Punisher yet everybody ignored it and instead wanked over those shitty Batman games that spawned all these shitty ass clones that ruined any game with fighting nowadays

That piece of shit is forgotten garbage and deserves that fate

Bulletstorm was good for a playthrough.
That's it.
It was linear as fuck and had no replayability.

the creator sperged out and took out coop because people weren't playing the game how he wanted them to. I remember getting drunk and playing through this with a buddy so i dl'd it for cheap and got confused when I couldn't find coop mode and then pissed when i found out why. not worth tracking down an old disc version.

also my vote is for jade empire: fun characters, interesting story and beautiful art design. Gameplay stayed pretty fun even though it was relatively easy. Something about hitting a paralyzing palm harmonic combo on a bandit and watching him turn to stone, then crumbling him with a single punch never got old. Also, Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard was entirely unforgettable. One of the rewards you could get from him was a book on trepanning.

Bethesda's Terminator game simply for its technical side.

F.E.A.R just because its top tier fun.

Of course it has replayability. It's a scorebased arcadey game, where you have to kill mobs of enemies in different ways.

You mean, kick them into cacti instead of kicking them into chasms?

that shit was tight

you could spin a nigga, in the demo I spun a boss nigga off my clawz and into a spiked pillar 4 a 1 shot. neva bought dat shit tho. wuz finna steel it from de sto' 1 day but I was feelin diz bitch knowhati'msayin

hey Tyrone, shouldn't you be shooting cops today?

lol

but fo'really do u need to back the fuck up b4 i punch u in your ches n make ur shoulders touch niga

Everyone I know shits on this game even without playing it because they say it's just a cover shooter but they're playing it wrong damnit.

Also EDF barely gets the recognition it deserves here. Threads die off quick, I guess it's because it doesn't have a PC port.

Came into this thread to post vanquish. Recently played through it and it's fucking amazing.

doing a Pete Townshend slide across the map to back flip kick a commie robot was the best thing ever.

I remember seeing a great youtube vid about how Vanquish could be played as either a cover shooter or for more skilled players as a action game similar to Platinums other games. It was a pretty fun game and had a great cheesy over the top feeling to it.

Are you a kid who came here from Reddit and just discovered you can be racist here or something?

If anyone has seen it and is curious as to what this person is referring to, you can technically play the whole game by just sitting behind cover and popping out to kill enemies but there's a mechanic where you can boost forwards and start going pretty fast, but this has a limited gauge. You can also dodge in a direction, but this isn't very fast. However, the boost doesn't start depleting for a short bit when you start it so you can boost into a dodge to end up going super fast which is more effective in combat than just sitting in cover, assuming you have the skill to capitalize on it. I'm not entirely sure if that interaction was intentional but the game works so well with it that I have to assume that it was.

I would absolutely kill for a PC port though, I'll tolerate some shooters with a controller but Vanquish is way too fast for it and you really have to use the bullet time thing often, which is cool but not as cool as actually aiming really fast yourself.

They're great.

Also Origins was better than Knight and doesn't get the recog it deserves.

What exactly makes them great? The only redeeming quality they have is how the enemies get scared when you stealthily take them out one by one.

The melee combat was cancer that turned melee combat in every game that followed it into massively overcasualized garbage. You no longer have to care about range, timing of your attacks, hitboxes/arc, stuntime, actual dodging, or aiming. You just mash the attack and counter buttons to get through 95% of fights, or if you don't want to mash just press the counter button whenever an enemy attacks you.

Sure the animations LOOK good, but there is zero depth to the gameplay. Compare that to something like God Hand.

Shame that good sound direction is rare in games these days

Melded gameplay and story progression
Best implementation of voiced main character and pertinent decisions co-existing.
Interesting take on influence with characters liking you not always being the best route.

If only the actual gunplay was good.

Have a dab with SOMA. Not much of a game per say, but if you are a /mu/ fag you will enjoy it for that aspect alone.

That's not really the fault of the Arkham games, now is it? It's like blaming Call of Duty because every other developer out there is a lazy hack that can't help but ape what is popular instead of doing something unique and original for a change.

You do have to care about (actual) dodging and stuntime, and timing if you want to keep the combo counter going. All the videos mocking the combat in Arkham games, or that Mordor one, fail to show mid to late game encounters that feature enemies that aren't just the standard mooks.

For example, in the Batman games you have to prioritize targets, going from those armed with guns, to ones with melee weapons and shields, heavies, and then to run-of-the-mill enemies.

Just bashing the attack command if there are enemies with shields or a heavy will just get you killed, same if there are enemies with firearms.

Oh fuck you, there is depth. Admittedly, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not a game where spamming the attack command works past a certain point.

As for what makes them great? They get how to translate being Batman into a videogame, from doing "detective" shit, to brawling, to stealth and gadgets, you get to play as Batman.

Guy, I got a lot of fun with the Skillshots system.

I shouldn't have to play half the game to find an enemy that isn't beat by mashing the counter button, and I didn't find any of the enemies then to be actually challenging anyways. Yes you can't just fight a bunch of guys with guns by mashing attack, but it's still not even on the same plane as one of the more simple enemies in any decent stylish action game like DMC, MGR, Bayonetta, or of course God Hand. The absolute biggest flaw with the combat is the lack of range/precision, no matter where an enemy is, what they're doing, or where you're facing, you can just press the attack button and you leap right to where they are and hit them. You don't have to care about positioning or aiming your attacks which is the biggest element in any game with decent melee combat.

And they absolutely did not make good use of the gadgets. The only time you use them with any consistency is the grappling hook, and that's just to get up high and hide. The only section in those games with legitimately good Batman gameplay was the fight with Freeze in Arkham City. I think the melee combat should have had some kind of very strong slow time and let you think about how you can use each of your gadgets and the environment to disable enemies in combat rather than an overcasualized version of a brawler.

They also completely failed on the detective part. Sure the story shows you to do detective work (especially Origins), but the gameplay in that department is almost nonexistent or completely trivial. They never let go of your hand and actually let you figure shit out for yourself. That one quest in Morrowind had more gameplay related to being a detective than all of the Batman games combined, and obviously Morrowind is not a game where you play as a superhero whose primary thing they do is go around and be a detective.

The Batman games are shit and you have shit taste for liking them.

That's true, I disliked Origins in my first playthrough because it was essentially City but with a completely heh atmosphere. Whereas Knight is rocksteady looking at their formula and wondering how they can ruin it. Now I'm really enjoying Origins for not fucking things up.

And it's not meant to be. The initial argument was that the combat is utterly mindless not requiring the player to use any brainpower whatsoever.

I clearly demonstrated that this is not the case. The game isn't "hardcore", that is not what it sets out to do, and expecting something like that from it is missing the point entirely. The game obviously was not made with you in mind.

That's not true actually, you have to direct Batman at an enemy, otherwise he'll punch empty air if there is nobody in front of him.

And the combat is about maintaining rhythm and flow, not positioning. The player has to pick and chose which enemies to dispose of first, while maintaining awareness of the other enemies, thus requiring of the player to use the counter button.

The electricity thing and the batarangs got good use out of me, as did the freeze grenade and the explosive gel.

If you mean for combat, you can string along gadgets in the middle of it and get decent use out of them.

Nigger, did you even play the fucking game? You can use almost all the gadgets in the middle of combat.

one of the few actual arcade games on N64 and also one of the few that utilize the controller well.

It's always obvious they look at the first fights of the games and decide they never evolve, user, give up trying to convince someone who has decided on his truth.

In spite of absolutely everything.

I played Arkham Asylum all the way to the Killer Croc encounter before I dropped it.

I played Shadows of Mordor all the way to the point where you first get to use branding against a warboss (which was horribly dissapointing) before I dropped it.

Occasionally changing your angle of attack and pressing E or whatever does not a deep combat system make.

Custom Robo

Life is suffering.

Of course the game doesn't set out to be a hardcore game, does that mean we should just forgive Bethesda for not setting out to make actual RPGs anymore? The game had the potential to be good but only if the devs willed it so. The problem wasn't incompetence, it was them pandering to a brain dead audience. Why SHOULDN'T the game have combat as deep as a good stylish action game? Give me any reason why not other than "then the casuals wouldn't like it". I'm tired of this widely understood but unspoken acceptance that any western game made in the current year is going to be simple and casual. Everyone knows that it isn't good but they just accept it rather than fight it. Outside of Holla Forums, noone really talked about how the Thief reboot had minimaps, quest markers, contextual rope arrows, gratuitous cutscenes, and generally easy gameplay because it wasn't a surprise to anyone. It was a game made in the modern era so everyone just expected that it would be far more casual than older games or Japanese games.

Yeah you hold the stick in the vague general direction of them. You aren't punished for being inaccurate, it's just a means of deciding which target to automatically lock onto and jump towards.

Of course, but there is no reason to do so. They aren't really any better than just mashing X and the counter button in almost every situation and they'll usually break your streak because they take too long to use properly. And I definitely did play the games, I beat both Arkham City and Origins because I really want to play a batman game.

These games aren't the worst things in the world, and they are made by competent devs that succeed in what they set out to do. My problem is that what they set out to do completely drops the ball on having depth or showing what it means to be Batman. You may not "kill" anyone in them but everything feels just the same as any other action/stealth game where you do, you almost never have ways to creatively disable someone other than bashing their skull in until they get knocked out, and of course there's pretty much no gameplay where you be a detective which is weird in a game about the world's greatest detective. Batman is more than just punching dudes and sitting on gargoyles, but you wouldn't know that if you only played these games.

Fam I have played through the entirety of Arkham City and Origins, I'm desperate for capeshit games and really wanted to like them but they are both incredibly shallow.

you mean the things that are almost entirely useless in the vast majority of fights?
they do help the game a fair bit
It's when you mash X and Y a lot without stopping, I got it on most fights I was in between both of the games that I played once I got used to the whole X/Y mash thing
I don't remember

Well that's what made Dark Messiah great.

Granted, you might as well just play Dark Messiah instead.

As a kid I only got this game because it said made with the same engine as Halo. I didn't even know what they meant by "engine". My brother is the only other person IRL that I know that has also played this game.

Had that stupid sun-sensor gimmick it was ok but remains one of my favorite GBA games of all time. Incredible soundtrack, great art design and pretty lengthy to boot

I'm still genuinely curious as to why people hate this game. I played it when it came out and had a lot of fun with it. It wasn't until like a year later when I watched a video of someone talking about the game as if it's something everyone hates that I realized it apparently wasn't well-received.

My fucking nigga. I really liked this game. The whole deal to unlock the boss characters was fun as fuck.

I only know two that did play it.

Nah, when I first played it on my PS3 it bugged out so hard I couldn't even play it.

Which is a shame cause it was alright, Multiplayer aside

My nigga.