DOS/Windows 95 Gaming PC (100mhz Pentium)

Alright, so I've had this NEC Ready 7022 100mhz Pentium PC in my possession since my uncle gave it to my family in around 2003. My family's used it until around 2004 when they finally got a Windows XP-era desktop that could be used at the time for modern tasks. About two years ago, I decided to dig it out of my closet to finally get good use out of it again after 10 years of not being used, and it took me two years to finally get it up and running. It turns out that I had to use EZ-Bios to get my hard drive working properly. I also still need to get another CRT monitor or get the original NEC MultiSync cable repaired because my most recent one died. Anyways, here's the machine…

Other urls found in this thread:

hpaa.com/moslo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, here's my DOS games, the demo intro of Quake and my Windows 95 desktop. The performance could be a bit better with 3D games and Windows 95 because I only have 8mb of ram, and I really need to upgrade it. Quake is the most advanced game I can run playably (24fps). Stuff like Daytona USA run at like 10fps or lower.

Sure is a shame you can't play any of those games on a modern computer.

With Loonix you can.

My P60 system is a piece of shit compared to my slightly faster 486, but they both gnaw cock due to BIOS freakouts forbidding the installation of video cards. That, and no documentation for the fucking jumpers.

I lost all desire to fuck with them right after getting a shipment of ISA and PCI cards from Russia.

Honestly, I don't enjoy playing these games in DOSBox as much as I do on real hardware. DOSBox, while great, does have some issues that real hardware doesn't give.

I really regret throwing away my first PC…

Same. This machine here actually wasn't my first PC. I'm pretty sure my first PC was an IBM 5150 with MDA graphics. My family never really figured out how to use it, though, and they eventually threw it away. Still makes me want to kill myself to this day.

I'd definitely do this if I still had something from that era lying around. Good luck keeping it going, OP. Replacement parts can be pretty ridiculous.

wine fucking shits

I don't remember the specs mine had, but it came with windows 3.1 or something like that? I was 12 at the time. Had a blast playing Sim City, One Must Fall, Doom, Warcraft: Orcs & Humans etc.

Kept it all through High School, upgraded motherboard, ram, a second hard drive (1 GB) Windows 95, and then Windows 98 after my friends and I got in the tech program. Our teacher was a former student and let us "borrow" stuff, or let us keep things we fixed.

Mine was eventually tossed out because I never used it anymore. Like I said, really regret it.

Indeed. Finding the drivers for this particular machine was also a pain in the ass because there's next to no info in it online. The integrated sound card actually supports both Sound Blaster Pro and Windows Sound System, but it was an IRQ nightmare actually getting it to work. Thankfully, the video drivers were much easier to get working.

I use an IBM T42 running Win98UBCD for my WinNT/DOS gaming. Amazing performance, it's the last thinkpad IBM made that has native win98 support, and it handles everything you can throw at it from the era. Absolutely amazing machine. If you want to get into classic PC games in a native environment, it's a great system to pick up. They're pretty cheap on ebay.

I mean, Win9x/DOS.

download gens and emulate mega drive
post results

Try Windows 95 sampler pack 1 and 2.

Some great demos in there!

Be sure to check out abandonia.com for games suitable for your rig.

Performance aside, I think the biggest thing is CRT monitor or not. People who never played on a CRT monitor really don't understand how big of a difference it made. Every game in that era was developed on a CRT monitor, to be played on one. It's part of the artistic sensibility.

Sorry this board is +18 only

Nigger I own one right now and a CRT monitor makes absolutely no difference at all. A CRT monitor works differently from CRT TV. That and the fact that PC games were usually made to look good on different resolutions instead of being stuck at a single one.

Are you being sarcastic because you totally can.

I can only assume you're blind, then. Even if you don't care about the dynamic resolutions or the bleeding effect, all LCD monitors have a massive problem with sample-and-hold that CRT monitors don't. Sample-and-hold is why some people are so interested in OLEDs and future monitors, because motion in LCD is so incredibly awful.

Maybe don't use cheap LCD monitors then?

LCDs that could come close to the response time of CRTs still don't exist. This is the reason to continue to use even cheap CRTs (while waiting to come across a PVM or seven).

If you want horrific lag, try playing a console through a video capture card, on an LCD. I need to reorganize my game room and get my unused TV back in the setup, to see how my near-decade of lag has improved my reaction time when the lag is gone.

It has nothing to do with cheapness. The most expensive LCD monitors available to this day have this problem. It is unlikely to ever be fixed, the closest we've come is backlight fudging (strobing black frames to create the illusion of smooth motion), and that has problems of its own. Hence why some people are excited about OLED. You sound like you don't understand the tech at all, which seems to be the case with everyone who is convinced CRT have no merits and are just oldfaggotry.

my hipster juices are flowing at this

fucking Holla Forums…

Haven't tried that emulator out yet, but I've tried Genecyst and Nesticle. Both run at 100% speed, but Genecyst won't run unless I turn the sound off.

Yeah why are you here.
GNU/Linux user here. Anyone that thinks there are games for this platform is kidding themselves.

ace

Thanks! I got them at a thrift store and I'm really pleased with them because they sound pretty great.

Here's a really quick video of my machine playing MegaRace. Mainly to show off the Sound Blaster Pro mode of the integrated Opti sound chipset. This is using a real OPL3 chip, by the way. MegaRace is underrated as hell, too.

Some other random games.

If you're going to make a retro PC then you're going to want a caddy drive.

Oh yes, this is good.

If you're so autistic that the miniscule input delay in a proper LCD monitor is reason enough to use something else, you have a real problem. The solution is to fucking go outside.

Haven't been the biggest fan of LGR lately but that was a neat video. Surprised how well the woodgrain turned out.

Do any of those go up to 4x speed? I really don't want to go any slower. The drive in the machine here is the original one from the factory, too.

Is that a eroge of some kind?

Yeah. It's Seasons of the Sakura.

It looks like a 3X, you can see it on the front panel.

OP, you have damn good taste.

Thank you.

No problem. Thanks for the complement, too! UY is pretty top-tier when it comes to anime, imo. The TV series is probably my favorite anime TV series next to Lupin III Part One.

Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 are pretty good but after 100eps you've seen it all. I think I made it too ep 134 for Urusei

You can always get an external one instead of an internal one.

I've seen every episode of UY, actually. I watched 1 episode a day for a year. lol

I made it to 210

Beautiful Dreamer is the best movie.

Only You has always been my favorite, tbh, but Beautiful Dreamer is still pretty great.

I own every AnimEigo UY LD release with a bit of Japanese releases, too. I also have one animation cell.

Very nice

I really enjoy collecting Japanimation (yes) and standard films on LD. The packaging is great and the quality is surprisingly quite good. Some LDs can even give DVD a run for its money. This is an LD of Vol.2 of the UY OVA series. The disc was pressed in 1998.

Given his hoarding tendencies and taste in upper-lower class decor, I really expected the woodgrain to look shitty. Like, grade-schooler art project shitty.

The fact that it didn't really surprised me.

Kind of neat that it was a major feature introduced mainly to keep old games compatible with newer systems.

I sort of wish it was still a thing.

I still can't believe how Rumiko jumped from Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2 to Inuyasha and Mermaid Saga.

Shit does not compute.

Same here. Can't play Test Drive III on this machine at all because of how fast it is.

I still need to read that manga and watch that anime

There's some old DOS programs that can artificially reduce clock speed. Shit there was one program I remember used to be advertised on sites all the time but I can't remember what it's called.

LD had sort of a "collectors" thing going for it, and they tended to be expensive whereas DVD was mass market. So in general I think LD products tended to be treated with kit-gloves more often than they were with newer technology.

I remember now: MoSlo.

hpaa.com/moslo/

There was another too…AT-Slow I think?

Man, I loved their BGC and OMG! DVD releases. Mostly because you could tell that they actually gave more of a shit about the stuff they were selling than a lot of the other animu distributors at the time.

I really… REALLY wanted to save my first pc though back then it was mostly because i was attached to it and had the mindset that new stuff breaks easily so i wanted to have it as a backup but my parents were all "but user it's not your property, we bought it to you back then so we get to decide and we decide it's sold at the flea market for 10dollars!"

Fuck you parents… like… FUCK YOU!

:^)

I agree. They actually have a sense of humor, too. The backs of the UY LDs have some snarky remarks from the company. I've also had some conversations with Robert Woodhead, and he's a pretty cool guy.

You get a pass, the older stuff was fairly cool.

I never could get the free version of MoSlo Basic to work well…

Does FreeDOS have an analogue to DOSShell?

Don't know, but DOSShell kinda sucks, tbh. DOS Navigator is a far better shell for DOS.

damn me too, DosBOX is not enough

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA ON HOW MUCH VRAM THAT SHIT WASTES

Not a whole hell of a lot if you up the JPG compression or use a GIF. Or even a tiled texture.

Either way, you can keep it under 100k easy at 800x600 or even 1024x768.

(PNG would have better compression than GIF for the same task though, but good luck getting anything except Photoshop to read it)

The wallpaper is only 256 colors and at 800x600.

u wat

this really, sure there's a few recent releases with a linux version but linux is very very far from satisfying your gaming needs. At least emulators almost always work on linux

my nigger

I'm waiting for one of these to arrive from China to use on my 386, because i'm tired of having to use 3 computers to transfer anything to the 386 (Main PC>Pentium 4 Win98 PC>386).

You can just use DOSShell itself, but there's a file manager called doszip on freedos.org that respects muh freedoms.

FreeDOS even has one built in.

It's enough for me.

I'm in the process of seeing if serial networking will work better, but I can't be assed to move my 486 near my primary computer. The serial cable has been sitting on my monitor base for a month. If that fails, I may go the China route, but for now, I still have about a hundred unused floppy disks.

Is there a way to run W98/2000 on modern computers? Like dual booting or something?

DOS should include a FTP client or at least a SMB one, just transfer your shit through the network

just run something like virtualbox

Filesize ≠ VRAM usage user. Shit has to be decompressed when drawn.

Dude. Use a PCX.

Point taken, but then just tile a small texture with an indexed GIF. Looks alright potentially and not a major performance hit.

Or just use a video card with a non-embarrassing amount of VRAM, or a fast card full stop. A Matrox Mystique can get up around 8MB VRAM and has good VESA performance. Not a patch on the Voodoo 1 and 2, especially when you throw Glide into the picture, but for games that just used standard SVGA its fine, let alone Windows backgrounds.

Good luck getting working drivers for the billion unbranded NICs you'll be running through. Anything with a floppy controller can use the floppy replacement, and this device was made for systems that aren't proper personal computers, like CNC mills and such.

Good taste.

Still, where's your Duke Nukem I & II, Commander Keen, Kiloblaster, and Zone 66?

What would be overkill for a DOS build, anyway? Probably not a Pentium 2 or K6 if you consider SVGA games…P3+ maybe?

Yeah, it looks pretty damn spiffy all things considered.

I actually put Commander Keen 4 on here soon after starting this thread. I've never played the first two Duke Nukems and I just realized the full versions are on the Duke 3D CD, so I'll install them. Never heard of the others mentioned, though.

One of these days I'm going to get a Slot 1 build going.

I guess it depends on whether you can still underclock low enough for older games that depend on a low clock speed.

What are the advantages? I'm planning a Pentium III build.

Depending on the board and BIOS, you can take something made for a P2 and get a Pentium 3 going on it.

Also you can get conversion cartridges that allow you to use Socket 370 CPUs in Slot 1 boards. As such with the right BIOS (again) you could throw in a processor that's a while 500MHz faster than what you could normally achieve, as long as you key in the right voltage before you flip the switch on the case.

Furthermore the boards are modern enough that you can get a nice mix of ISA, PCI and even AGP slots. So you could toss in a decent graphics card along with your Adlib Gold.

Only disadvantage really for DOS is that many boards for Slot 1 may use pre-ATX power supplies.