Best id game?

Best id game?

Not really but still in the top 5

It's DOOM 2: Hell on Earth. Fight me, niggers.

Yes.

Quake

/thread

basically the greatest game ever.

Not even close.

Quake, more like Quck.

Take your shitty opinions with you and never come back

Things Terminator Future Shock had that Quck didn't:

It's either DooM 1 or Quake 1, with Quake 2/3 in close second. Doom 1 and Quake 1 can't really be compared because both were made in different stages of technology and did different things for the genre. Just say Doom 1/Quake 1 and call it a night, if you want to argue beyond that, you'd have to go through some intense hair-splitting and autism. The only thing I can fault Quake 1 for is having weapons that aren't as satisfying as Doom's. Personal opinion, though.

I mean crouching.

Quake is a disappointing follow up to Doom tbrh.

I think a good portion of that is how the enemies react to getting shot.

The little death animations that played in DOOM were pretty satisfying, and I always loved seeing a Chaingunner's skullcap fly off after I shot him.

They wrote the bible with Doom, anything that came afterwards would be a disappointment in comparison.

There are a lot of small details that make Quake 1 a "less satisfying" game than Doom but honestly Quake can't be blamed because Doom was a game that was the peak of "2D," so switching to 3D was of course going to be goofy in the beginning, I think Quake 2 fixed any problems with it but sadly left behind the aesthetic and shit.

I go between it and DOOM, but it's certainly up there.
>There's a fucking Bethestard who came in to start shit in a thread about id games
Disgusting. And here I thought it couldn't get any worse than Q2fags and UT99fags.

Fixed it for you

Pure cancer

1) It's shit compared to Quake.
2) Valve is not id.
3) Because Valve is not id, Half-Life cannot qualify for best id game.

Kill yourself, my man.

That's gotta be some sorta sick strawman, that's not fucking real.

I'd give you more but those should speak volumes for you. Game was not fucking fun in the slightest.

Both are inferior to Dark Forces II and Future Shock/Skynet.

Wolfenstein 3D.

No, but the Jaguar version is absolutely nice.

It was the first proper FPS, unless you're going to split hairs and cite Mazewar or something.

I got your back, man!

Quake 2 was better.

Battlezone, MIDI Maze, Terminator 1990, and Hovertank were already proper FPS.

Quake 2 was boring.

Quake 2 was shit.

DOOM was better than DOOM 2, but DOOM 2 added some stuff and is what is mainly used for WADS nowadays.

It's still a shit sequel tbh.

Prey

The gunplay was kinda console-ish shit but that game had a shit load of cool ideas

after every fps ripped off something from doom of course by a modern stand point things would look bland and over used, but back then these things were fresh and new, games back then never had the gritty aesthetics that quake had.

also this was during the time the devs wanted to go their separate ways, so they made one last game before they split.

fug i meant quake.

I got bored quickly playing Quake. Only 1 and a half hour in and I already strayed the game.

But Future Shock was really fun and exceptionally atmospheric. It was the STALKER of 1995. Too bad there's zero mod support and demand.

exceptionally atmospheric.

i'm not saying it was or wasn't fun, i'm saying you don't have to be innovative to make a game fun.

i was just about to check out where to get this game any suggestions

You're just butthurt because UT99 was far better :^)

I have a FutureShock+Skynet+dosbox combo pack, but I really can't recall where I got that from. Try downloading the iso and emulate it with Dosbox by yourself.

End yourself

I like Quake although I wouldn't say it's Id's best game. It was clearly unfinished

Still a solid FPS though, and a very innovative one

Quake has this momentum to it a lot of other FPS games don't have. It encourages you to complete a level faster and faster.

A lot of the enemies required you to adapt to the level design. Like the Ogre with it's grenades that bounced off walls and the Shambler with how it fired really fast lightning at you. That was something a lot of FPS's didn't have. It took advantage of the 3D map design rather than just having it for aesthetic purposes.

No it wasn't

Quake 2 was easily Id's most dull game. It's the only Id game I never finished.

Aside from the multiplayer. The multiplayer was arguably better

Yes

Well too bad, I don't like really fast games or finishing a level quickly.

I'm more of an aesthetic guy who regards immersion highly tbqh. Not saying that I don't like good map design and Romero's design isn't god tier.

Quake levels are often very short. Like 5-6 minutes. This was due to how compression technology back in the 90s was pretty shit. Romero even said all of the levels had a max file size of 1.4 mb.

But the shortness of the levels was such a benefit to the game because everything felt bite sized. It really is a game with no filler. Running through levels quicker and quicker almost feels like a drug.

So who's excited for Overw Quake Champions?

Your cup of tea, not my cup of tea fam.

There hasn't even any gameplay footage yet. I guess it will play like Quake 3.

pass

did anybody ever try pic related?

Quake 2 had better graphics, better textures, better music, better enemies, a better story and was just more fun to play.

There's a reason why John Romero left Id as they were doing the first Quake. Not to say Quake 1 was a bad game but it was more or less just Doom 2.5.

It's the same story about scientist opening a portal with monsters coming out. While it's cool that Trent Reznor did the music, it isn't so much music as it is background noise (With the exception of the main theme.) Almost everything is colored brown in it and with the exception of the Fiend and the Shambler, the enemies aren't that original.

I don't think it will be like Quake 3

Anyone can feel free to chime in and correct me but the explanation for that shit is that 512 mb is a standard "maximum" number in terms of bits or some shit and the reason the bots stopped functioning is because they had no room left to log their shit. It has nothing to do with them being intelligent. Just another case of people assigning some deeper meaning to something with a perfectly technical explanation.

The game's art style was generic. While it did have colored lighting the entire game just blurred together for me.

Quake meanwhile had an aesthetic that is so unique that has only really been replicated once with Devil Daggers

Agreed although this was largely due to technical limitations because the game was designed to run off a software renderer on DOS

No.

Sonic Machine's ost is good but it doesn't hold a candle to Trent Reznor's atmospheric as fuck Quake OST. It felt like a haunted house soundtrack.

Listen to Quake's OST while playing the game, it's one of the most immersive games I have ever played. All Quake 2's ost does is just play hard rock noise that you eventually ignore.

no.

I don't even know how you can prefer the generic enemies from Quake 2. Every Quake 1 enemy is memorable and unique and the map design revolves around incorporating them in unique ways

This is like the SCP-79 scenario.

So to answer your question, yes, in theory that picture should work, it just has nothing to do with an AI that believes "the only winning move is not to play."

I'm sure an user here could probably find a way or teach you to modify how much data they can store so you can see it in action yourself without having to wait ages for them to fill it up.

The graphics are good. the level design is really boring. Like, REALLY BORING. Dark Forces II is simply a much better game, and it's not Doom 2.5

I hope at least there will be singleplayer to redeem the shittery of the MP.

FIFY you faggot.

There are still people that play the Quake 2 Soundtrack as part of their daily listening. Who the fuck would turn on the Quake 1 soundtrack? probably some edgy teenager that thinks he's being "cultured" by listening to something "eery"

Quake 2 objectively has a better soundtrack, that's pretty much the only saving grace of the game. Because most of the rest of it was shit.

Aside from that I agree with you, Quake 1 is a better game than Quake 2, though it doesn't have much to do with the singleplayer, because Quake 1 was all about the mutliplayer.

It wasn't generic. It had that whole 90s cyberpunk thing going on. It looked like something from Heavy Metal comics.

While Quake 1's OST is indeed atmospheric and scary, it just doesn't go along with action in the game. When I'm playing a shooter I want music that will get my blood pumping while I kill shit.

The enemies were not generic. They we're original and freaky with their whole cyborg Frankenstein look.

And I know story takes a back seat to gameplay but it needs a story in order to give context to what's going on and to motivate the player. Quake 1 could have done something new instead of the "monsters from Hell portal/other dimension/whatever" schtick. They already did that in Doom. I liked the original concept John Romero had with it being a D&D fantasy inspired game with you playing a barbarian with a Warhammer. That would have been awesome.

Quake perfected 3D fps, with perfect movement and simple shooting.
Quake is also one of the only fpses that actually has style and atmosphere, even with it's dated graphics.

nope

See: Terminator Future Shock

I agree with you.

Quake level design is much better

I'm not sure how both can compare in term of level design.