Holla Forums's Favorite WW2 games

I've been doing some classic gaming lately from the 80's to the late 2000's, and I've now hit the early and mid 2000's, which were flooded with WW2 games at the time. So out of all the WW2 games regardless of genre, which games can be recognized as the cream of the crop?

Other urls found in this thread:

geocities.jp/kwx50/lbk/FF_index.htm
moddb.com/mods/back2fronts-mod/downloads/cod2-back2fronts-10-full-release
youtube.com/watch?v=UxR7oF9np3U&list=PLD975100EB714E017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Call of Duty 1 and 2
Commandos
Company of Heroes
Sniper Elite 1
Battlefield 1942
Brothers in Arms

RTT - Close Combat series
RTS - Stalingrad & Talvisota
Cinematic Singleplayer FPS - Call of Duty 1
FPS - Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45
Flight Sim - Il Sturmovik

Brothers in Arms. I greatly enjoyed both Hill 30 and EIB. Also probably one of the early CoDs. I liked the one with the female sniper.

Female sniper was in CoD Finest Hour I believe. That game had some wacky easter eggs as well

She was indeed in Finest Hour. It is worth nothing, however, that FH was mostly just a remix of CoD1's missions with slightly different stories and smaller maps to run on the consoles.

Hell's Highway (the third game) is inferior but probably worth a go if you're after more. Of course the real challenge is to complete the first two games on authentic difficulty with no causalities (i.e. restarting every time a man goes down).

Achtung Panzer! and Graviteam Tactics are not for those who do not enjoy autistic-tier tactics games so be warned.

Of the 5 Commandos games the last one (Strike Force) became an FPS and is somewhat inferior to the first 3/4. It isn't terrible judged on its own merits but it just doesn't hold up.

For SH3 you'd probably want GWX or similar. If you've seen Das Boot it's pretty much like playing that with less dick jokes.

Both of these are great and are overhauls of Blitzkrieg (same engine, same basic gameplay).

Shit taste, all of you

Any WW2 game where you play as the good guys?

OP asked only for the cream of the crop. I'd say that, nostalgia aside, CoD1/UO's perfection of the formula make it redundant to also recommended Allied Assault. The game still fits into my WW2 FPS replay-cycle though.

That Death to Spies is supposed to be picrelated. Do not buy the third game (Alekhine's Gun).

Stalingrad and Talvisota both have limited ammo dumps to stop arty spamming, ai fixes, better mission design, better air support mechanics and no boring random maps though. Still Blitzkrieg is good enough and has a bunch of mods.
geocities.jp/kwx50/lbk/FF_index.htm

Call of Duty is the streamlined Halofied version of Allied Assault.
Great game, but Allied Assault is still superior
Only thing that rivals this is the first Russian mission, and even then its still not as good

By the way was The Saboteur actually any good? I've still not got around to trying it but I seem to remember hearing it wasn't too bad and Pandemic used to be pretty reliable.

I seem to remember that Talvisota was also declared an educational game by the Finnish government.

Blitzkrieg's mods/overhaul games are really rather impressive in general. It's a shame the sequel never took off as much but then it never had the same feeling when playing it. I'm not sure why exactly either since it actually did solve the random missions issue with all missions being somewhat unique.

Neither of these are an issue in a WW2 game.

Well that's just blatantly untrue. I'll agree that the missions playing as the Americans were somewhat less memorable but then that campaign follows the actual historical engagements rather closely instead of going for showing setpieces (partly due to the influence of a certain tv show…).

The Russian and British campaigns have some top-tier sequences which also benefit from the objectively superior soundtrack (which on a related note is by the same composer).

The first mission isn't even the best mission in the Russian campaign never mind the game.

moddb.com/mods/back2fronts-mod/downloads/cod2-back2fronts-10-full-release

This mod includes a few German missions. The second BiA game also includes a short german campaign (iirc it's in the coop missions) but obviously it doesn't have a proper story.

user, your opinion is shit, theres nothing to the music aside from the Russian chants.
Yeah, tank mission and the barely Slavic industrial zones are clearly superior :^)
Only the first one based on the Longest Day really.
Rest is boring forgetable trash
Holy shit OP you're such a fucking faggot, not even UO which is superior to the base game is better than AA

How do people compare sudden strike to blitzkrieg? I never played the latter.

Also OP the close combat series are always great.

Provably fucking untrue. Here's the entire OST:

youtube.com/watch?v=UxR7oF9np3U&list=PLD975100EB714E017

Please find me a single instance of 'Russian chants'. If you mean Red Square that's actually based of a Welsh Hymn.

A setpiece does not a good mission make. I enjoy the Enemy at the Gates rip-off as much as the next man but it does get rather old the 30th time through.

The Dam and Tirpitz are both fun too.

Ignoring the fact we have fucking IDs here why would OP make a thread asking for Holla Forums's favourite WW2 games as recommendations then proceed to post a bunch of WW2 games? And UO's campaign isn't superior though it's MP is far and away the best in the series.

Same publisher and similar age. Both also went RTT over RTS without being a hardcore simulation which was quite refreshing (at least for me).

Unless you meant 'how' as in how does it stack up against Blitzkrieg. In which case Blitzkrieg can get a little more samey than Sudden Strike outside of the historical missions but, as that other user mentioned, has a massive mod scene.

Another point that struck me back when CoD 1 came out: actually having teammates that seemed vaguely competent and more than just cannon fodder rather than going solo against the entire German army was a nice change. True it doesn't compare to BiA in that regard but it was a step in the right direction.

And keeping in mind CoD 1 was, in essence, a 'spiritual successor' to AA (broadly same devs, same composer etc) to say it improved on the formula is not a negative judgement on AA in any way. It's simply the benefit of doing things with a larger budget and more experience.

Goddamn

No it does not, you feel like you're in a meat grinder, a small cog in a gigantic machine with no way to defend yourself and once you get your shitty underpowered Nugget you feel like shit and underequipped but at the same time happy because you can defend yourself, its a beautiful thing.

I fucking hate them and they are the reason Ive replayed UO more times than the base game
If both of those had infiltration/disguise mechanics they would great, as they are its nothing more but shit grey corridors with WW2 weapons and generic shooting with nothing to them.
The chase was also substandart with the shit planes at the end being awful with awful hitboxes, same goes for the AA gun which for some reason misses German soldier half the time.
Nah, fuck those shitty missions, at least the Russian missions had atmosphere to them.

OP is faggot who doesnt even participate in his own thread which I usually do, I was expecting him to do the same and since both of your IDs started with an "e" I though you were him no, I dont color them

I can understand the possibility of liking it less than AA but considering it trash is simply inconsistent. The style is the same as is the composer. What, exactly, renders one 'trash' and the other not? Also good work dodging the question: where are these Russian chants you claim exist? Where is even one of them?

It worked brilliantly the first few times and it's the correct way to do a setpiece yes. It still doesn't have the same magic on repeat playthroughs. Good gameplay holds its value much longer.

That's a pretty fair description of a good number of AA's missions also. Adding a basic disguise mechanic does little to change that fact. Speaking of repetitive shit CoD also has actual variety in guns and factions that AA is lacking not to mention NPCs that actually have something vaguely approaching a fucking character. This is superior to one man fucking up the entire Reich.

Both the Dam and Turpitz had an atmosphere of being hunted/rushing the first time through. Up untill then the game had always given you AI backup. These missions strip that away and that completely changes the tone of the game. Granted this is not clear when replaying but again the setpieces in both games also lose out there.

Vastly, vastly more competent than that of AA and better than most of the games around at that time yes. It sufficed to make you feel as if you were actually fighting with a squad at the very least. The enemy AI also generally played fair even on higher difficulties. Speaking of which there are no missions that stand out as frustrating on your first playthrough unlike AA's fucking Sniper Town.

MoH:AA is a great game and some of its moments are amazing but CoD was simply the same team refining that product. I stand by my original statement that nostalgia is most of what makes AA look superior to some.

I didn't even know Blitzkrieg had a modding community.