Final Fantasy XIV General

Blizzard is now scared of the competition edition

Current Patch notes:
>na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/197e9c8b2f04efdecffe26bebe43b40551d1e3e8/?utm_source=lodestone&utm_medium=pc_header&utm_campaign=na_3_3patch

Free Company:
>na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9230831123737651255/

Tfw nobody can find the pasta anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

galian-beast.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This makes it feel so much better.

Do you still have to grind for a month and half to get the tokens for that weapon?

Technically it's just Warlords Season 3 that ends on July 19th, the patch could be later.

Then again, Blizzard almost always release patches and expansions at the same time other games release or have patches of their own. Pretty sure they do it on purpose to hurt the other games rather than it being a case of Blizzard being scared.

The pvp season always ends when the new patch comes in and its always done at a time when what they consider their biggest competition of the time gets an update to keep the drones locked in.

Though if you've been playing an mmo thats not updated since like late spring 2015 at this point i think they got them for the duration. That overweight mid 40's tauren healer that tried to be guild momma and called everyone 'hun' never left and never will.

and you all knew her. All of you.

Still gotta grind 80 maguffins famfamwambalam.

a-almost halfway!

That used to be the case but not anymore. Blizzard themselves have said seasons are no longer tied to patches (in fact Legion will have 2 seasons per patch for example). Also the announcement says "Please note that the end of the season does not require a patch to the game, and will occur automatically", so the patch could still be after the 19th.

Nobody really knows for sure until Blizzard officially announce the patch date.
>Doesn't go on to actually fucking tell anyone when
Fucking trolls I swear

I guess when your game paches once a year its hard to work pvp around that.

Well so much for my resub then. Grinded my first like a retard on a PLD and got addicted to DRG. Love the look of the weapon, but fuck that grind.

Yeah i think the whole thing so far is like 80,000+ esoteric tomestones not even counting the beast tribe dailies and 30,000+ philo tomes.

If i wasn't NEET i don't know how you would do it.

FUCKING. UNDERCUTTERS.

The mad rush is over my friend

The only thing on my server that held is the type 0 tartan jeans going for 3 mil and usually one or two pairs every month. I assume its some rank 3 heavensward weaver recipe or something.

Balmung is my server so literally everything got undercut in just a few days.

I got lucky and sold some glamour boots for like 1.5m each. There's nothing on this server that's been the semi the same since the patch. Maybe materia Vs

Can someone explain the appeal of FFXIV ?

I've played it and I just do not understand how it is popular as it is . Very generic , not even the best MMO out there , does it live off the Final Fantasy brand name alone ?

Job system and regular updates. The graphics, art style and ost are more by taste but the jobs both combat and crafting, the ability to swap on the fly and new running out of things to do makes it worth it.

Polish, mainly. Its definitely not got as much depth as WoW(hard as that is to say nowadays, but the sheer amount of older content makes it true) but what content there is remains solid and is kept relevant. The main story quest and many, many side quest chains are also very amusing though I wouldn't say that helps it as an MMO so much as a game.

Unfortunately since heavensward things seem to be almost exclusively token grinding outside of story quests so I don't think it will last unless they turn things around. Squeenix is running the game on a skeleton crew right now.

The selfie patch came at the same time as Gold Saucer
Tanaan Jungle came at the same time as Heavensward.
And I'm sure some shitty filler patch with only some timewalking changes came around 5.1

3.1, I mean.
The diadem and Void Ark patch.

because it actually gets updates. yes, standards are that low.

I was looking for some MMO to sink my time in.

How heavy is p2w aspect in it, if it even exists? I know it's a paid game, but there is still cash shop right?

Is it actually open world or theme park like Terra, where different fields are connected by narrow corridors? Or I can just wander around freely like in say Black Desert?

How soloautism-friendly this game is? How much of it is unsoloable by design?
Can I at least PUG for such content?

How is dress up portion? Can I change appearance of armor and weapons, or put camos on them?
Are there capes? This is very important, I really love fucking capes.

Is there option to opt-out of PvP completely, or my ass will constantly be in danger after some point?

How does summon system work? Can I summon Ifrit, Shiva and all those classic monsters from old FF games freely? Can I do it with only one class, or there is multiclassing/sub-classing?

How heavy is non-sexual fanservice portion? Are there costumes or some other items from previous games? Maybe characters' cameos? Or weapon skins?

It's shit, only those who like FF like it so if you have shit taste then you might like it, otherwise your standard variety of WoW-clone.

Yes you hate mmos by design, I get it.
Can you actually answer my questions though?

It's shit, i even played it back in launch.

Honestly… atleast a year ago it was sort of like WoW TBC-lite, did the theme-park aspect pretty well though who knows if they've fucked that up now too.

Seriously though, unless you allready have friends to play the game with, dont bother as the majority of playerbase is shitters and i've no doubt any Holla Forumsvg/ guild is full of circlejerks and drama-whores with no fun allowed.

Fuck nigger, I just want to autistically run around the forest and whack wolves with cool ass moves and watch digits pop up while looking fabulously.
I know what MMO is.

If you're implying that it's "shit by MMO standards", then you're free to direct me to the MMO that you think is not shit.
If you're just shitting it because "all MMOs are shit", then fuck off please.

Well thank you, at least one question is covered.
I prefer open worlds, but at since it did theme-park aspect WELL, I'm still interested.
I wish it has some winter/snow locations with snowstorms and shit.

there are quite a few snow areas but most of them are expansion only which requires you to do a good bit of quests to even be allowed into.

Why dont you play something like Dragon's Dogma then instead or even that shitshow that is Skyrim?

FFXIV was nothing but CORRIDORS CORRIDORS the zones.

I'm shitting because i want to help you, dont waste your time in something you wont truly enjoy doing.

Pretty much. It's a generic wow clone with a final fantasy skin. Nothing worth while about it

there is a cash shop but its just re coloured mounts and some seasonal items from like a year ago.
theme park MMO
its mostly solo content with dungeons being when you have to start doing pugs. thankfully the community is actuallly quite nice for the most part in my experience. then again I dont play on the same server as the Holla Forums FC.
you can start to glamour shit at like level 50 and dress up however you want.
lol pvp, its almost non existant.
only arcanist summoner and scholar has summons and only teh summoner actually has ifrit titan and garuda to summon. only mini versions of them too.
there is fuck ton of armour and costumes from previous games. can even get clouds emo outfit if you are subscribed long enough.

Finally someone sensible.
Thanks.
What about capes? Or armor with capes? In videos I see a lot of what I assume are bosses that have huge armor and glorious capes on them, but I have hard time finding players with those.

Is this Dark Souls 1 situation where only enemies are allowed to have these?

There is no pay to win, its all cosmetics bar extra rentable npcs that are more inventory

connected areas like FF12 only much larger, though in Heavensward they get much bigger, its not a sandbox, its a mainline final fantasy so its world for the most part still works like one even as an mmorpg

very solo friendly but there is also a 'hey im looking for BLANK' system people use to pug everything

not many capes but glamour is a big gil maker since theres always that guy playing a catgirl who wants to tank in a bikini and thigh highs

pvp is entirely seperate, it is a system based around 3 allied factions training rather than enemy factions killing each other and there is a progression system and spells unique to pvp only with its own currency and items including pvp materia and so on, if you dont want to do it you will never ever run into it

Right now summoners are a dot based class that summons 'egi's which are avatars of the primals power -in this universe summons are evil spirits that seek to enslave/mindbreak people eg ifrit 'tempers' people, leviathan 'drowns' people and so on. They are offshoots of Zodiark, the big bad who may or may not be connected to Ivalice its wierd. The egis are smaller and more like crystal sculptures and right now you have titan, garuda and ifrit but there is a system coming in the future for more including ramuh, shiva, sephirot, leviathan and maybe moggle mog

Its a main FF game so expect a guy called Cid, Chocobos and Moogles and so on but they also do a lot more fanservice stuff outside the main story like fighting gilgamesh on a big bridge or ultros and titan. theres things like 6's magitek armour but an evil magitek empire is part of the plot so they arent just dropped in but you do see some things like cloud and lightning outfits which seem a bit immersion breaking.

On the whole its a wierd mix. On one its World of Wacraft if its devs still gave a shit and it constantly updates and adds new ideas and things to do, but on the other it is the 14th mainline final fantasy, which means its still a jrpg so if you are the questtext skipping guy that hates long cutscenes and plot (and PLOT) then you would hate it.

But if you like Final Fantasy its pretty good, not as slow paced and thoughtful as XI but its the best use of the job system since FFV and thats what i want out of a Final Fantasy title right now.

Thanks mate.
Being plot-heavy game is a plus for me.

pretty much. only cape I can think of is WHM 180 stuff.

certainly cant remember any PLD set with a cape anyway.

The thing to bear in mind is 1.0 was a complete flop and that story isnt in game but watchable on youtube and still canon.

The video answers is where the reboot starts with version 2.0. The Galean Empire -which is the roman legion inspired magitek users- want to ethnically cleanse the continent of Eorzea and claim its resources. In a drastic attempt they used magic to call down one of the worlds moons.
Only it wasn't a moon but an ancient advanced machine called 'The Binding Coil of Bahamut', take a guess what it kept trapped inside it?

Bahamut was released, went nuclear. Pretty much literally and fucked up the continent in an event called 'The Calamity' which makes the A Realm Reborn canon.
Now areas from 1.0 were changed, green highlands were now snowy peaks, dry areas became deserts and basically all the magical aether of the world became fucked up.

You start in one of 3 cities based on your starting class: the island nation of sailors Limsa Lominsa, the forest wardens of Gridania or the Desert merchant sultans of Uldah. Each slightly effect your story even after the main FF story of the game converges regardless of starting point.

and post lvl. 10 you can change to any other class by picking up the lvl.1 quest and equipping a weapon for it, at lvl. 30 a class can become a Job e.g Having Thaumaturge at 30 and Archer at 15 unlock Black Mage but you are not limited to any number of jobs. You save a gearset to a button you can drop on a sidebar or something and switch jobs anytime you arent in combat already.

But it also has miner, botanist and fisher for collecting resources and lots of jobs like Blacksmith or Culinarian to make things with their own gear, stats, tools and hotbars of abilities to 'fight' an item as you craft it for better results. You can even buy a player house and completely make it into a shop based on your proffession now with some top tier autists running shops you go to instead of visiting the undercut- i mean market board.

You get a chocobo at 20, glamour at 50 and on the way now theres shit like the golden saucer with raising and racing chocobos, beast tribes for dailies and their own storylines and triple triad EVEN IF THAT RANDOM RULE IS FUCKIN' HORSESHIT YOSHI.

Theres a lot to do, as a mainline Final Fantasy it makes 13 look like a joke content wise even if you just count ARR and not its current expansion Heavensward where you head to the frozen "if north korea was run by the vatican" country at the north of Eorzea where it introduces airships, floating landmasses and so on.

My only advice would be dont get it through steam, you can play the same characters on PS4 if you buy a PS4 copy and if you pick a job on Limsa Lmonisa you get stuck on the island for the first 5 or 6 hours but the other two areas are mainland city states and can travel around easier.

and dont spend gil on anything when leveling unless you really need a weapon from a vendor, its easy to blow in this game but worth stocking up for the newest shit.

-and the global cooldown seems slow at first but you get lots of off gdc stuff around the 30's so combat gets faster and more hectic than the slow start, like all FF main titles its a slow burn before the crazy shit.

and speaking of plot and fanservice heres a boss about to summon the Knights of the Round.

Never played this since release, where the expansions any good.

Are the updates worth it?

Heavenswards Pve endgame is a bit too tomestone farming heavy in my opinion but other than that so far the story has been great bar wrapping up the uldah cliffhanger of ARR way to quick. Flying doesnt ruin the game like people feared it would after it made WoWs open world a ghosttown and all the new jobs are great.

We just started getting caped armour actually.

I've played this game since beta and I'm so sick of the constant grind, I guess it's just general MMO fatigue. I'm seriously considering playing The Old Republic just to see how badly they retroactively fucked the KOTOR canon.

Good Hildibrand Cosplayers are top tier, but on my server there is a Hume tittymonster that has a spot on Tifa Lockheart Cosplay.

and an autistic Luffy one but nobody likes him.

Yoshi said 4.0 is going to shake things up, i hope this replaces the token farming a little. The relic needed to use the patched in dungeons more instead of ANOTHER esoteric maguffin.

I know its still running dungeons to lower que times but its principle of it.

Sounds good, I'll probably take a break until then. Just find it hard to get excited about two new dungeons each patch which I *know* I'll have to run once a day for the next couple of months if I want to stay on top.

It lives off of the Polish?

You don't know how bad games like WoW have gotten do you?

How fucked am I if I want to see all of the old content from Pre-HS and whatever I missed out on HS? I didn't beat Vanilla ARR when I played it 2 years ago (I was supposed to rescue Minfillia's dumb-ass after killing Garuda, but just didn't have the time to play anymore due to real life*). I'm thinking about waiting for the next expansion to see what they'll offer.

*Fucking crafting taking up more of my time than the shitty plot. Crafting was fun af.

The wow update is tempting because I want to try a Gnome Hunter in Legion.

Everyone else gets a tomestone bonus for you being new, everything bar coil is in a roullette and there are reasons for everyone up to max level to run it and worst case you can form an unsynched group in party finder and steamroll it.

also

Does it have physics?

I really fucking hate when people say "well dog we aint want no clipping, so no capes" while the entire fucking character clips though himself.
I mean in your very pic guy's right arm clips right through his chest.

I don't give two shits about clipping, if my sword is on my back and my cape cuts it in two - that's fine, that's my freedom to fuck my character up the way I want it. If you don't want extra clipping - don't fucking put that cape on, but let me do that.

One credit I want to give to games like warframe or PSO2, that they allow YOU to decide - whether you want more shit on your avatar and deal with clipping, or make it minimalistic and not put any extra on, or even hide holstered weapons to minimize clipping.

Sorry for this autism. If capes DO have at least rudimentary physics to them, I'm giving this shit a go and see if it holds me for longer than 1 month.

Yes, in rain cloth gets wet, in strong wind it flaps about, same with hair.

and tiddy

lel

I sometimes wish this game had goblins like in warcraft. I mean the goblins we have are ok I guess but they aren't fat asssed little green things.

What do?

Blizzard has been timing its updates, major patches and releases to match the ones of its competitors for a decade. Must've been a hell of a huge rock.

usually that works but 6.2 was timed at the same time as heavensward and that failed completely.

a year later heavensward has gotten like 3 major content patches and WoW players get to pay 60 dollars for another expansion.

fap.

i dont think you understood the butt of the question.

Now you understand the sophies choice. You get large firm booty, but its anime shotashit or nothing.
Do you lust for booty so bad you can cross that frontier?

Butts reveal a lot about a man.

it doesn't change my answer nigga.

That's what supply vs demand does in MMOs with no item decay.

I always undercut in online games whenever I can.
Fuck jews, people deserve good things for cheap.

This user speaks the truth.

My lust for butts transcends genders.

Fuck the free market let it all rot.

*Half joking.

Then why should i bother crafting them for anyone but me goyim?

I'm not sure how things work in FF14, as it still downloads

But in other games with markets I just sell shit I find for the lowest prices, and it usually sells immediately.

Thats the trouble, 99% of players share your opinion. So something starts at a fair price based on effort to get/make it and as more are created people want a sale now -because for some reason people need money now in a game with no gil related urgency whatsoever and undercut you, then someone does the same to them and so on and so on till the item is 3000% its original price of lower.

You might still sell it quickly but now in your need for instant neo shekels you made a pittance that gets smaller every time.

And fucking everyone does it.

Also you missed on the real patching experience of final fantasy that burnt this into your memory forever.

I always look at the current market prices, and set my own price at around 1/3 way from cheapest to most expensive. It might not sell immediately, but usually it will eventually sell and I'll get more money for it.

The low level way is to compare if people need one or many.
Say its a crafting job quest recipe item like a certain HQ plant or ingredient for cooking recipies. They only need one so see if has loads cheap and list them individually but more expensive, or vice versa for something like dark logs which are needed to make most of the LTW 50-60 leather recipes.

Chasing instant reward only keeps you in the poorfag sector forever. Lowest i ever go is 2 million and thats because i have invested a shit ton in things in waves because fuck renting retainers for space.

Times like this i notice how XIV's main hub of the expansion is basically ironforge circa vanilla: weeb edition.

Is beanbag too big?

Games with playable lolis are automatically cancer magnets.
Tera and PSO2 taught me that hard way.

Pedocchi pls go and stay go.

Anal [bloodbath]

Anal [internal release]

I think Ill give this game a go. How's combat? Does it have the WoW formula of Tank, dps, heals? Say what you want about nuWoW but some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO is playing a heals in a hectic fight on BC

If you liked WoW pre-WoD, you are going to love the fuck out of FF14.

I actually think the fights are some of the best I've played in a lot of games. It's fun remembering the patterns and mastering them.

So youre telling me I can play a straight heals with all of the healing, buffs, and autism required to keep everybody alive?

you can, some people will expect you to do damage when everyone is topped off though.

alternatively you can try solo healing and letting the other healer do damage.

It has tank, heal and dps, but there is more of a focus on support abilities than WoW has had this side of 2010.
For example my main job is Ninja and while i can just tunnel vision DPS i have moves that do things like increase a resource regen for stamina users, make my threat gen count for the tank or decrease another member AKA ALWAYS THE OVERHEALER's threat. Bards have songs that increase mp restoration or make enemies weaker for example.
Its very familiar to a WoW player, but also has way more options than current WoW. You dont just have like "filler move, dot, proc and cooldown" like modern WoWs mobaesque design, you can cross class skills from certain other jobs and you get out a class what you put in. Some jobs require positions to effect their moves or proc a combo, others have things like random card drawing to effect heals and so on.

Its FF5's job system to a point with level locked skill unlocks really.

Basically you have 4 man guildhests to learn techniques, 4 man dungeons, hard mode dungeons where you revisit the dungeon with a different layout and theme as the story has progressed e.g: You thought you cleared all the succubi and demons out of this manor in the woods and some guards found something worse -including a character called 'Edda' in one who is some serious shit so pay attention to the introduction where you see a group of newbie adventurers.
Then you have 8 man raiding, currently Alexander as a giant machine city driven by magic and steam with bosses inside his different parts and then 24 man Alliance raids. These are like lfr and a bit easier but they are their own unique raids with their own questlines.

For example heres an excellent boss from the current 24 man, The Weeping City of Mhach on a story involving Diablos.

That's simple. I was just making sure it wasn't like Wildstar where everything is wacky and everybody is a healer/tank/dps

Sounds good. Ill check the vid later since im at work. Which class do you recommend is the equivalent of a resto preist?

white mage Is the basic cleric style healer, but theres also scholar which summons fairies as pets and are more disc style BUT you also get summoner from the same starting class and the level counts for both so getting lvl. 40 on scholar gets lvl.40 on summoner if you do summoner job quests too.

Can I change my weapon's idle animation? I see screenshots of players with their weapon idle animation to be that of the opposite gender. I just want to swing my great sword over my shoulder like a cool guy

Why live????

why not just let both have it?

Playable Goblins and Orcs from XI would be cool to see in the next expansion.

It still amazes me for the worst knowing Blizzard and Metzen are taking all of the lore and class stuff they set in stone for years, and are pissing all over it with Legion. It's even more fascinating knowing when the playerbase is concerned about this stuff, they Metzen tells them to go fuck themselves.

I really hope Legion fails (yea, I know I said I wanted to try a Gnome Hunter, but still).

sauce?

galian-beast.tumblr.com/

At worst 28 more sands which means 8400 Esoterics to finish my relic. At 3 per day thats 9 days, so if i do 2 extra aether research runs per day I can finish in a week.

Its almost over ;_;

thanks

Damn did I say resto preist? Its been a while. So are scholars like resto shamans who heal but also summon guys to tank and dps for them?

Scholars are weird, they share the same main class as Summoners do, the Arcanist, which is a DPS class.

They have all the same abilities summoner does (except the job specific ones) up to 50, but get healing summons instead of damaging summons and their job abilities give them heals instead of more DPS.

Basicly, as a DPS class, they are sustain DPS by maintaining dots, and as a scholar you can still do that, even if less effectively than a summoner, so that you can deal damage while you heal.

Summoner is the one who summons guys to tank and DPS for them while being DPS themselves.

First septs get where?

Wouldn't the first septs get be 1111111 while 10000000 be the last ?

Realized that after posting. Daft. (although no, 10M wouldn't be the last: 122… etc)

I'll be more interested in 8ch's first octaget than this 10M. 1M posts of waiting now.

and thanks to you I noticed all the possible reaction faces in the picture.

FF14 gets regular updates.

Explaining this to my wowdrone friends begging me to come back because they fell for the desperation fanservice of legion was fun.

Things to do in WoW right now
Thats it.

Things to do in FFXIV right now

and thats all i can remember. The response?

and thats it.

Also dungeon of the dead, that comes out next week.

Right when WoW nukes their gameplay even further.
I dont know if they ever improved on demonhunter dps being a two button rotation you speck to one button which says enough about the remaining subscribers in their eyes.

So FFXIV is worth resubbing to?

How much worse is it getting?

nigga, this game has ALL the environments besides maybe like some kinda moon base

Deserts, snow, jungle, forests, swamps, magically radiated wasteland, magitek palace type shit all with their own types of weather effects. sandstorms, light rain, monsoon rain, high winds, cloudy, foggy, blizzards, magical weather, wavy high heat effects and day/night cycle. the only thing it doesnt have is watching a tornado touch down on the ground. if you're looking for a comfy game, this is the best mmo for that

with your weapon drawn, go to the emote menu, persistent tab, change pose

polite sage for double post

Simple, the later dungeons have a ps1 boss fight feel to them. One of the newest one is a platforming MMO boss fight against a dragon that breaks the platforms at certain percentage of his health. In short, I like the video game feeling of the fights, they feel fun.

/cpose and that only make me stick the point of the sword in the ground.

Can I really not put my sword on my shoulder as Miqo'te female? How did pic related do it?

Can you tell what system the other players are playing on in the game? I bought this for $13 on PS4, but I don't want everyone to hate me right off the bat if they see that I don't have a PC.
(I wish I installed this earlier. I didn't realize how long it would take to install even with a disc.)

Thats not a Miqo'te user. Look at the ears.

I'm aware. I was hoping there was a a way to swap between animations and they weren't race/gender locked.

please you forgot the most important technique.
Dealing with the horrible tickrate "you think you're out of the circle, remember to stand still because the game won't update your position until then"
or my favorite "neuter Alex 4 because we can't be bothered to fix the tickrate"

There's quite a few people who play on PS4 and it's not so taxing on the system.
If you wanted to have a better experience I would've gotten it on PC but, PS4 won't be so bad. Surprisingly for a mmo it's controller support is pretty great. You have some issues with getting all of your abilities on there if you want to play SCH or SMN though.

I just thought that out of the 12 year olds and normalfags that play the game it was probably mainly on console, so I didn't know if people could see how I'm playing and would be more likely to not invite me to parties and stuff. I haven't played a real paid MMO and I suppose prebuilts are pretty cheap and common now, so maybe it's just me worrying and misconceptions on my part.
You guys don't have any good links for new people huh? Isn't there a whole story leading up to this revamped game? Maybe there will be a cut scene I guess. Fuck, my game is finally almost done installing and I've still yet to think of a name too.

Pre-ARR stuff is generally explained to you on the go as "you" are a new arrival as far as the plot i concerned.

Basically all you need to know about 1.0 was that The Empire invaded because they see Eorzea as backwater and needing help and has a SHITLOAD of ruins of several diffrent world-dominating Empires (Most notably Ancient Allag, essentially Space Age Empire with Nanotech), the City states allied to fight back and following the Empires best Airship getting a mutual kill on a local Guardian Dragon the general area of Eorzea is basically over-saturated with magic allowing for stuff like summoning much more easily, and while the locals are trying to deal with getting gods that can brainwash them hurled at them once a week The Empire goes Majoras Mask and tries to bring down the moon on Eorzea due considering Primals/Eidolons(IE: Summoned Gods) that dangerous while gearing up for a massive invasions.

Then during that massive invasion it turns out there was a Primal in the moon, the guy bringing it down gets brainwashed and Bahamut nukes both sides and EVERYONE loses and the only reason the world remains standing is because Not-Gandalf pulls a "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" on him, then all Legacy players are flung into the future (because that beats getting GigaFlare'd) and erased from the memory of everyone so S-E won't need to make 2 sets of scenes for when they re-meet every character they met in 1.0.

So basically, Good Job "helping" Eorzea Garlemald!

Hmm sounds crazy and like they had to go with the flow, but interesting enough. Hopefully I can find some videos of what the world was like beore. They changed everything right? I take it there was a bunch of cutscenes for people who played before the rebirth?

I have a Paladin tank in my FC who has an armour with a cape. Or maybe they were a Dark Knight. I can't remember the name of it, but it reminds me of Fire Emblem.

I think the devs mentioned they test all content with controllers.

Is there certain classes that work better for a controller?

It's a wow clone, what do you think?

I never played WoW. I went with "gladiator" since I imagine mages work better with a mouse. I might make a new character later and give it a try, since my face doesn't look exactly as I planned and hopefully by then I'll have a mouse anyway.

Crafting classes can even be alt tabbed, and use a controller while watching movies, it's comfy.

All classes work the same.
You stand in one spot popping your abilities at either mobs or party members.
When enemy telegraphs attack you run out of it.
Repeat until enemy die.

You can play it with the wheel and your experience won't change much.

SMN player here: If you pickup a WHM you can cross-class Cleric stance and do the same DPS as a SMN as an SCH if you hit Cleric before loading your dots. If you're the off-healer, you're pretty much an extra SMN, sans the pet damage.

Good job describing how a average game works.

No need to get butthurt over the facts.
WoW combat is the shittiest combat system to date born out of genre and technology limitations.
Combat isn't the appeal of MMOs anyway.

sweet

Racing wheel?

Yep, you don't need any precision or feedback or anything.
You just press number in order.

Not really butthurt, but the gameplay sounded just very average at best.

Also what did you mean by wheel?

I mean that input device does not affect your performance in this particular genre.

No.

You will have your Saber Stance.
And you will like it.

But that's the shit drk stance

Had sage on.

That's a funny way to spell, "Best".

But they don't. BLM works vastly different from how SMN does. Lancer and Rogue work vastly different from how Monk does. Do they all deal damage? Yes, but the way that they do it if you want to optimize their damage output is vastly different.

While I'm at it, Paladin is the most generic tank class but it still works completely different from DRK and WAR of not because Paladin is there to be just generic MMO tank.

DRK is a tank that requires a lot of mana management and can have as much damage soaking potential as Paladin while dealing way more damage but requiring a lot more skill to use to know when to pop your skills.

Warrior is a Tank/DPS that can do both if you're good enough at stance dancing and managing aggro.

It would've been if I meant best user.

What "vastly different"? You just stand in one place and press your hotbar icons in the same sequence over and over again.

Do any of you guys play on servers for Japan or areas not your own?

If you did that as a monk I'd kick you out of my group on the spot. Monk needs you to manage Grease Lightning and almost every attack they have requires you to attack from a different position.

In the same manner, yes, Paladin can just press 1-2-3 in front of someone to hold aggro but other classes have to use different abilities, especially if you want to contribute. Dark Knight has an entire mana management system where you can use it to deal more damage while also holding aggro. Your rotations are different and the time you can use them are different too.

Black Mage has a stance management system and Summoner has a Stack management system that affects what they can do at any given time.

They are different.

I play on US datacentres. I'm scared of knowing how I'm fucking myself over on the connectivity.

On the other hand, I don't have to deal with Europeans.

Are Europeans a pain in the ass? I didn't know what to pick. I went with Aether Jenova for my first time playing.

#NotAllEuropeans

Sometimes you'll find french players who are absolute trash and don't speak english and make your entire dungeon's clear speed be a crawl.

Sometimes you'll find someone who just doesn't communicate at all or read what you're typing and it's either because they can't read/understand english or they just don't give a shit.

When they finally sent the server to europe, the connectivity really changed. You could be mounting a chocobo, but still cancel it just by 0.10 seconds of moving forward. Dodging aoe became much easier as well.

Honestly, what I have on my server is people talking english. What you meet in dungeon finder, is rather trash.

The strangest thing that occured to me was someone recruiting in shout, in russian.

I am not sure if to resub back into final fantasy.
But then I gotta buy the expansion.

I'm new enough that I don't even know what most of that stuff is, but it does seem weird that they wouldn't just tag one other languages or something so people can communicate. Is that pretty much the same with all MMOs? I was kind of pleasantly surprised how nice everyone seemed and I was just fucking around with emoticons and learning basic mechanics. (which I'm still fumbling with)

Being completely new it's okay not to have the expansion yet right? I should probably look into what it all gives you again, since I might understand it a little better now.

You should only buy the expansion if you finished the ARR campaign, as you need to be level 50 and have done all the story quests up to the start of HW to actually play it.

If you weren't enjoying the game before, I don't recommend you do. It's more of the same, even if the dungeons are better in HW, and the story is better just like in ARR at 50.

For its benefit though, HW does improve a lot of the classes a lot once you start getting to 60. Some classes get better from ARR, a few get worse, and I think only 1 gets absolutely no change.

Most people are nice, but I've come across my share of retards. I'm nice to new players, and so are most people, because they are new, so long as they listen to advice and if they don't know what to do listen to us when we explain it to them.

Ignorance is not a sin so long as you are not choosing to be ignorant.

The last time I played it I finished fighting shiva for the first time.

I really enjoyed the extreme boss fights in the vanilla. Besides the pubs being utter dumb shits.

You're not too far away from HW then. HW has more primals, two of them new and one of them a fanservice battle that's really cool. All of them have extreme modes.

Also unlike ARR where the endgame raids were the Coils of Bahamut, in HW the endgame raids are actually trials inside of Alexander. You're fighting inside the primal since he's that big.

But it also has the same problem ARR endgame had. Getting your relic is a huge grind, and you're back to tomestome farming once you're at 60 to get good gear so you can grind Alexander Savage (equivalent of the Coil of Bahamut) for the best gear in the current game.

10 hours in and can confirm - it's a fucking WoW clone.
But rather than with "final fantasy skin" it has generic korean MMO skin where everything looks like it's made from plastic.

I'd say it's pretty far from perfect, but yeah it's a lot different than WoW.

Have any of you met your Ako and done the ceremony of eternal bonding?

I'd like to think of it as a WoW clone that actually improved on the formula.

like with a rogue doing a simple backstab, but now improved into the FF monk class that needs to do backstabs, side strikes and lots of buffs to dance through it all, which makes it really fun.

I played it on that free beta weekend and everything about it screamed WoW clone. Except for the story/cutscenes which managed to be even more generic and clichéd than WoW's rampant corruption theme.

I was playing a Lancer or a Dragoon or something and kept wondering when the basic combat would get fun or interesting. After a while I just gave up out of boredom. Doesn't matter how many thousands of hours of content your game has if it completely fails to captivate and draw in the gamer in the first 5-10 hours. Same goes for any media really: you watch the first few episodes of a TV show and if it's not interesting you drop it, you read the first few chapters of a book and if it's not interesting you drop it, you listen to a few songs from an artist and then you ignore the rest of their discography if it's bad.

There's your problem.

You do know you coulda changed classes to something more interesting like ROG or MNK, right?

Wew lad. Did you even reach 40?

MNK? is about the same as DRG.
side and back attacks.
Sure keeping up Greased lightning is a little more interesting, but as a whole Melee classes are pretty samey.
except for ninja

Once you reach the higher levels because your GCD is down to 1.5 seconds and you have to run around applying your dots, buffs and debuffs while maintaining your rotation things get really hectic.

But I agree with you, generally speaking the melee classes are very similar. The mage classes are the ones that are a bit more complicated and different.

Even high level members still fuck around with emotes, getting the hang of mechanics just takes a bit of practice.

The expansion gives you the Heavensward content, which you don't need until you are done with your main story, however if you are leveling a 50 character with heavensward expansion, before getting there, you will still gain levels towards 60.

Come on, 10 hours? Even my friend that I invited to the game put in 46 hours, and he even mentioned crafting was much more different than wow.

I will agree that Ream Reborn does suffer from the initial introduction, all the fetch and deliver quests until you get to a point it's more about the trials.

Ya 10 hours is about how long I give a game before I stop playing. All I remember doing is kill bears, collect bear asses and click bear nests. I also remember the game feeling slow for some reason, which I didn't like. Between the boring combat, the slow combat and the dull quests, I just gave up.

I have friends who got into raiding and bashed the game pretty hard because of how lag worked, something about getting hit by mechanics even though you moved out instantly. Whenever they talk about FF14 raiding, they always sound super frustrated, so I'm glad I never got into it.

In FF14 if you are in an AOE attack when the charge time stops, even if there's a delay before the attack lands and you get out of the way, you're still going to take damage because you were in the AOE marker at the time. It marks you to take the hit.

And yes, the start of the game is slow. It's meant to be so you get the hang of your class. Even then there's people at level 56 that somehow havne't got the memo of how their class works. In ARR the entire leveling process to 50 is not so much a long-winded tutorial as it is introducing more elements to your class as you advance and giving you time to learn how to use them so you can use your class properly. At 50 is when you're fully kited and you're meant to use everything you've learned on difficult shit. That would be the raids. They are hard on purpose. You have to be geared, and play your class perfectly, to actually manage to beat them. Endgame Raids ruin friendships because you are not allowed to fuck up even once.

c@

Hardcore raids is a friend killer.

Besides, if you play a massive multiplayer online alone, no wonder it's gonna seem hollow.

Every time.

I didn't say 40 hours. I meant level 40.

At level 40 is when you already have your job, and 3 of your job specific skills unlocked, as well as 3 cross-class skills prepped for whatever role you're playing. And it's when actually doing well with your class starts being hard and requires you to actually know what you're doing.

Before that you might as well be on auto-pilot, even retards manage to play the game. The game up to that point is preparing you to actually git gud. It does that because the hard content comes at endgame.

Got that white ads yet?

Sounds like communism to me.

In communist society, where nobody has one exclusive sphere of activity but each can become accomplished in any branch he wishes, society regulates the general production and thus makes it possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening, criticise after dinner, just as I have a mind, without ever becoming hunter, fisherman, herdsman or critic. - Marx

Sage & reported for red subversive efforts.

na, queues are dead on my datacenter

might unsub again actually if the next patch doesn't have much going for it, queues should pick up after the update hopefully

at least i got the field commander coat, which is LITERALLY unobtainable now because nobody with half a brain would willingly queue into seal rock when shatter is infinitely better

You guys reading way, way too much into what I posted.

Here's another way of looking at it: Skyrim. Anyone with a couple of cRPGs under their belt should be able to figure out that Skyrim is average at best. But Skyrim does one thing - and only one thing - extremely well: the start of the game is nearly perfect to draw people in further into the game.

The start of the game establishes the story and setting, has awe-inspiring "action" (read: boring scene triggers that have been in use since the HL series), a mostly seamless tutorial and opens up into an extremely well crafted corner of the world for you to "explore" (read: you're railroaded to the first town after veering off the beaten path for a bit but well rewarded for looking around a bit). On your second playthrough you can see the whole start for what it is, but even then you should still be able to appreciate it for the masterfully crafted bait-and-switch that it is. And no matter how bad the rest of the game is, the start still got you hooked, and that's a great recipe for success.

On the other hand, you have Guild Wars 1. Horrible start: generic as fuck setting and the combat is SOOOOOOO bad. And the voice acting, my god. You have like 2-3 boring as fuck abilities and enemies are just dull as fuck. But you play for a few hours, unlock a ton of skills and your second class and all the sudden you're blown away by the depth of the combat and the enemies are fighting back really well and everything is awesome as fuck (except the voice acting). Shit start but very quickly opens up and leaves you wanting for more.

FF14 has a generic as fuck start but it lacks that something that indicates that the game will vastly improve as you keep playing. I played it to lvl 20? something and told myself that being as bored as I was wasn't worth my time.

And if you have to play that long for the game to get remotely interesting, it's a design failure. How long is lvl 40, 20 hours? You can't ask a person to endure 20 hours of boredom before your game gets fun.

You're ignoring that the game is about progression or it wouldn't be an MMO. Guild Wars 1 has a limit of 8-9 abilities you can ever have at any one time and it's easy to fill up that bar but it's hard to get a specialized build that works that early into the game. FF14 is the same way, except by the end of the game you have 30 abilities all of which you have to know how to use.

If you don't like progression and seeing your character get progressively stronger then you are playing the wrong game to begin with. Since that's all the game is about. From the leveling phase to when you're at endgame competing for the best gear in the game. At that point you don't even get better 'abilities' as much as you get better numbers.

Level 40 is when your progression peaks and advancing starts becoming harder as you have a lot of specialized abilities and you have to be able to use all of them, it's when the distinction between the classes starts to show itself the hardest.

And you're saying FF14 is generic as fuck. Clearly you haven't played Tree of Savior, Guild Wars 2, Blade and Soul, Tera, or any of the current MMOs out there, (most of which happen to be korean and have that awful Korean grind). GW2 especially, where every class can use every weapon and do everything. That's when they're -really- all the same but with different animations.

My FC has both a pvp linkshell and discord for pvp, but it's still pretty retarded how the GC sets the que back.

It jsut means you don't have to make a billion alts to try out a different class.

Progression based system is all well and good when it's paired with good combat. The combat in FF14 sucked ass when I tried it. That's why I was bored and that's why I dropped it. Stupid fetch quests, dumb story I don't give a fuck about, bad graphics and cliched characters I can endure but not bad combat.

Combat is bad > I get bored > I drop the game if I see no sign of improvement.

Also, Tree of Savior combat has a Secret of Mana feel to it. The first few maps has you running around and being overpowered as shit and has boss battles (admittedly shitty ones) to spruce things up. And before things get boring you get your first class upgrade, and before that gets boring you get your second class upgrade and your first dungeon.

Guild Wars 2 had a very, very strong start. Does the whole "drop you in the thick of things" and has that whole visual stylishness and the combat feels very good early on. Then you get done with your story mission and the whole world opens up, you get to pick up new weapons and slowly learn new skills through skill points, which reward exploration and exploration rewards you with loot and map completion which rewards you with loot. Amazing system that ties everything together wonderfully. Of course the whole fucking thing falls flat on its face because of how bad the dungeons are and because of "lol no content for 3 fucking years", but anyone who thinks the first 10 hours of GW2 are bad has some serious objectivity issues.

Blade and Soul looks great. The story is garbage (worse than the king of bad story in MMOs, which is GW1 with its god awful voice acting and cringe worthy plot) but the combat looks great. You get these abilities that feel fun and rewarding to use. But then you realize that there's nothing more to it (and I confirmed it by looking at videos of ppl at the level cap, the gameplay was the exact same I was experiencing 15ish hours in). And the dungeons make you want to puke. Garbage.

Tera's combat seemed to have potential but every single other thing about the game was so fucking bad. Holy shit, just thinking about it hurts. So bad, never again.

Keep in mind I'm not really talking about how these games are once you've sunk in 200-300 hours in, I'm talking about them from the perspective of a new player. And when it comes to a MMO with a monthly fee, I have to be CONVINCED that it's worth buying the game and paying the subscription and you have to convince me before your free trial or your beta weekend invite is over. FF14 utterly failed because it was boring.

Ninja, Dark Knight, Scholar, Summoner, Machinist. the worst would probably be monk.

You get an auto attack and 3 abilities that are actually worth sinking your skill points into, then you get your first class and you get either 2 more skills you can invest points into that are worth it, or you have to level the same class again in which case you get nothing new, just better versions of the abilities you were already using, and after playing for around 60 hours you get your 3rd class and get another couple of abilities, rinse and repeat until level 255.

Guild Wars 2 does not have a strong start at all. It starts with you being limited to one handed weapons and having no off-hand. Not only that, but your 5 damage abilities will forever be determinded by what weapons your using and what class you are. Every class has a "meta" that you should stick to if you want to do well. It effectively means you're going to use the same 5 abilities from level 8, when you unlock all 5, to 80. I don't know how you can say it has a good start when the combat is seriously "press 1 and let it proceed and use all your cooldowns then wait while auto attacking with 1". Most Utility skills are just that, utility that makes your 1 do more damage, and most class gimmicks are just that, a gimmick. One or 4 abilities that they have that deal slightly more damage than 1, that you use whenever it's off cooldown. Every class has one, and it's just a different animation or effect, but it's effectively the same for everyone.

And while Blade and Souls' combat is decent, the endgame is absolute trash, which is what matters the most in an MMO. Grinding for the ability to grind isn't fun, and try to upgrade level 60 weapons without wasting days trying to build an economy I dare you.

Your main complaint about FF14 is the starting combat, which is meant to be slow. At that point you're meant to be weak. You're complaining about Side Quests you weren't meant to be doing because leveling is done through FATES, which are effectively Guild Wars 2 events. You are complaining about a stupid story you don't care about when you haven't gotten to the meat and bones of it, and have instead done the introductory story of whatever town you were in. (After all you only got to level 20 before you dropped it).

At the same time you're complaining about the bad dungeons of GW2 but ignore the fact that FF14 has good dungeons from 20-40 and 50-60.

The start of an MMO isn't all there is to it since you only start to get into the meat and bones of the game when you sink a lot of hours into it. Trying to judge it otherwise is to miss the entire point. They are time sinks.

Are europeans? no.

Are French people aka the BR of europe?

FUCK YES.

u wot 8? Just pick up any fucking weapon and unlock the skills. After you're done unlocking all your skills, you can just pick which weapons you want to use for a particular profession and roll with it. That's 8 skills + 3 utilities and eventually an elite. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with utility skills in RPGs, I have absolutely no idea why you're even trying to bash that skill archetype.

In FF14 you're supposed to

Notice the trend? The start of FF14 is boring. Nothing indicates that it'll get better. Why would a sane person suffer through hours and hours of boredom for a slim chance of things getting better eventually? If the game devs fucked up so bad that the start of the game is as boring as it is, what guarantee do I have that the rest of the leveling experience or the end game will be fun; after all they've proven themselves to be incompetent once, right?

You're definitely not the first person to use the "it gets better after you sink in a significant amount of time" argument when it comes to entertainment. But as a customer, I see no reason to pay for a product when the free trial version of that product was bad.

It takes as long to get to the good dungeons of FF14 as it takes to get to the bad dungeons of GW2. You're still ignoring that you only have 9 abilities to work with from 8 to 80. Wait, sorry, from 30 to 80. Until then you have less, and all the classes feel exactly the same.

I don't know how you can praise GW2 when it takes just as long to do shit in there as it does in FF14 when GW2 sucks even harder.

Reminder that 80% of france are niggers.
Make what you will of it.

May be true, but the game before you get to the first dungeon was significantly better in GW2 than in FF14

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand. But for argument's sake: you have about 40 skills, excluding auto attacks and healing skills. You're locked into using 12-13 of them in combat for most professions.

Entirely untrue. All classes have different playstyles available to them (except maybe that new Revenant one, which I haven't played) and even classes that fall into the same archetype tend to feel different: a melee DPS Thief will focus far more on mobility than a Warrior while a ranged DPS Necro will be focusing on DoT while an Ele will be focusing on DD/AoE. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that saying that the GW2 classes feel the same is just wrong, unless you're trying to argue that "all the GW2 classes have melee weapons, which means they're all the same". But if that's your argument, you're pretty hopeless.

I'm praising the start of GW2, from the perspective of a new player. Ya know, the perspective I had when I first tried out the game. It left me wanting for more and I bought the game after their open beta event because of it.

Not sure why you're so hung up on GW2 though when the argument was about why the start of FF14 was bad. You're not even arguing against the points I'm making against FF14, you're just trying to direct the argument away from FF14 and towards other games without addressing the issues I brought up.

woah there cowboy, they have plenty of sandniggers there and white trash too.

Because you're defending it when it has worse issues than FF14 does, yet when GW2 does it it's okay apparently, but when FF14 does it's not.

You know as well as I do that you only have enough space for 9 in your hotbar. And that DPS necro with dagger warhorn/focus makes the weapon switch only change 2 abilities.

You also know as well as I do that the point of the game was Everyone Can Do Everything so that there were no dedicated roles, that makes every class feel exactly the samea s they can do everything and often use the same weapons other classes do. The only thing that changes is what debuff they apply on someone else, and the animation for their weapon.

I couldn't get past level 30, when the first dungeon comes up, and it's horrible, to get to the endgame and see any differences in the classes, because progression was so slow and insiginificant up to that point, and then the combat was still bad.

10 hours in and can confirm - it's a fucking Everquest clone.

yeah you can find them all on youtube and shit.

Everquest is a wowclone too.

Most prominent game names genre/sub-genre, not the first one.

Metroid and Castlevania also weren't the first in their genre, but you still call it Metroidvania.
Same for Soulslikes - games like that existed before Demon's Souls, but you still call them Soulslike.

Oh my fuck.

Fucking captcha.

Wanna hear something crazy? There is a game for genesis called "King Colossus", which is a diablo clone. But guess what it was released 4 years before actual fucking diablo.

Souls games lifted so much from Monster Hunter and Zelda that using term soulslike is stupid.

Look it up motherfucker, it's true.
Of course it wasn't called a diablo clone before diablo cemented the genre.

A lot of genre names are stupid.

Not at the start of the game, which is the point you're avoiding. The start of GW2 is great: you're handed a bunch of different skills that look and feel different, you have whole areas to explore, crafting to do and the freedom to do it however you want to. It's a breath of fresh air when you're coming from WoW or one of its clones.

When you start up FF14, you instantly know that you're playing a WoW clone. Except that the combat is boring. And I've already gone through everything FF14 supposedly offers in WoW. Why should I pay a sub for a game that doesn't seem to offer me anything new and exciting, especially when I'm already bored to tears of the combat before hitting the level cap?

I don't really see how that's relevant. When you're first introduced to the game, there's plenty of skills to play around with and mostly figure out where you want to go with your traits and utilities. FF14 offers you new skills with levels but they don't feel interesting. The skills I had were something like "Stab 1 for 50 dmg, Stab 2 for 75 dmg, Stab 3 for 100 dmg if you combo it with Stab 2 and Stab 4 for 125 dmg from behind". That's so much fun. Totally makes me want to keep playing. Hell, that's even worse than Heroic Strike from WoW and Heroic Strike is a fucking awful ability.

It doesn't matter how good FF14 is "later on" when you "have all your abilities". If I have to be bored out of my mind for 50 hours before there's a chance (note: I didn't say guarantee) that I'll have fun, why the FUCK would I want to play that game?

Let's compare FF14's slow start to the mother of all games with a slow start: Dwarf Fortress. DF has a ridiculously steep learning curve and everyone says that one you get past that learning curve you'll have a ton of fun. So you pick up DF for the first time and you start learning. Commands, UI, control, designations, orders, food, drink and booze, furniture, farming, production, refinement, combat, military, defenses, engineering, wild life, etc, etc, etc. You're constantly learning new things, discovering new things, understanding new things, trying new things, figuring how all the stuff you're learning ties in together and all of that is really engaging. And once you have the basics down, you have a whole entire game entire you where you can apply those basics. When you pick up FF14, you target a mob and you stab it. Then do rinse and repeat for 10+ hours with pretty much no variation except for the mob models and locations. What's worse is that FF14 looks and feels and plays like a direct clone of another game I've played to death. Doesn't really matter how good the end game is if the start of the game is awful, because if the start of the game is awful I'll just drop the game and try another game or go back and replay through a game I know is good. Especially true when there's a sub attached. There's the crux of the issue: the start of FF14 is really fucking bad.

Nothing I've seen or heard about FF14 shows that the end game is significantly better than what WoW had to offer. From what my guildies with whom I played WoW with told me, none of the FF14 raid fights came close to fights like Muru, Firefighter, Yogg0 or Putricide in terms of fun/chaos/intensity/challenge/personal responsibility.

A game innovates and establish itself as a staple point in the genre no body is calling King Colossus a Diablo clone or Ever Quest a Wow clone except you because that's would retarded. Nice try though so here is your reply

Not the Berserk game

Well too bad nobody will call WOW an everquest-clone, or whatever target-combat mmo was the first.

But people did call it a Everquest clone

WoW, where you will be throwing fireball for the first 30 levels and have at level cap a 2 or 3 button rotation.

No argument there: WoW is just as bad as what I saw of FF14 early on. I still remember how horrid it was to level a Warrior up to 40 in vanilla. Mages were god awful too: kill 2-3 mobs and drink for 30 seconds, rinse repeat for a minimum of 4½ days /played. And then you had Warlocks killing 3-4 mobs at a time with 0 downtime and Feral Druids killing 1 mob in 10 seconds flat with 0 downtime and built-in 30% move speed.

This is dangerously underage sounding.

Guess what game legions pvp system is from :^)

honestly I liked that sorta thing in vanillla, all the classes had their own cons and pros besides just what their abilities were called.

teh gameplay did get a lot faster and all but its still nto as engaging as vanilla. I didn't even like wow at teh time of vanilla that much but its hard to think that modern wow is anywhere better. Admittedly the characters have a nice ass in modern wow unlike FFXIV's flat butts.

Yoshis holding the butts back for Dancer in the ala mhigo expansion like a marketing genius.

Really, Blizzard is being that blatant?

Someone should make an infopic of everything they're copying from FFXIV.

It'd be great for shitposting.

They are teasing the patch around FFXIV's deep dungeons which was announced and had the wow forums flooded with "HOW COME THESE WEEB TROLLS AND HATERS GET THIS SHIT AND WE DONT?" so i think XIV is WoW's direct competition now. Sub wise only obviously.

Will there be samurai class?
I remember FF having samurai class in Tactics and 12.

That's awesome. When SquareEnix gets at least somewhat serious, it blows away Blizzard's shit.

They've been talking about it in some fashion or another for years. They dont seem to know if it should be tank or dps.
Personally giving it the tank job upgrade for rogue with only has ninja as dps would be a nice choice and in keeping with the doman culture.

It was pure damage rape machine in Tactics.
I don't remember what is was in 12 though, that shit was pretty homogenized.
Was it tanky in 12?

its gone back and forth a lot in FF and jrpgs in general. Sometimes its a dps in a robe, others its in ceramic plate with a long spear.

I don't think we need another tank.

Well in Valkyrie profile there were two dudes with samurai class.
One with two kat in robes and another with huge ass sword in full armor.

Can't they come up with some gimmick, like one class having two modes, or skills changing depending on armor type in body slot? I mean all classes are built around one gimmick or another.

Neither do i in general but given what they said about future jobs going back in some cases to being connected to classes i think they will look at what classes get what jobs. Very few people like all classes equally and prefer some over others.

E.g:

People might like certain classes for lots of reasons and designing new roles for those players might take precedence over 'too many X' as the game gets more and more jobs.

Unless they do end up adding the support role eventually. Can't all be dps famfamwambalam.

They could and honestly they should, given that jobs are not a character lock like most mmos but changable on the fly more gimmicks would be welcome to mix it up, but then how do you avoid homogenised gear or ridiculous loot tables?

Well I like classes for looks first and gameplay second. I'd play samurai regardless of role.

They avoid that? I don't think they do.

well they dont now since all tank classes get the same gear.

I liked how it was when you had 210 stuff on you, paladins looked holy Warriors looked barbaric and so forth.

I mean more like how cleric stance changes a stat to boosting dps instead of healing, if a samuai had something like that and so did dancer than maybe you could make some int gear thats not the same robe for blm/sum or sch/whm

not the best example but point is its a fine balance between "a set for each role with with a magic,melee and ranged dps variant" and "boss might drop your item, but its got a loot table for 89 items"

Are you ready for some hospitalising ptsd nostalgia?
never having a town guard cast signet on you ever again
and you're under.

>tfw forgetting and missing out on all those sweet beastman seals during a 6 hour party in that one zone under the city of Juno
Also, I miss using bst to farm astral rings for ez gil. We need a fucking Valkrum dunes in XIV to weed out the ultra casuals.

Thank god.

That's the point.

I just find your argument confusing since XI was actually pretty damn good compared to the MMOs of that time. The music and story alone made it better than most MMOs of that time outside of shit like Ultima, but ultima was a completely different beast than XI. Saying it's shit because the genera has changed just confuses me. It's like saying Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 is garbage because of the Skate franchise.

Finally.

8/10 bretty kawaii

is that the black mage aether sand one?

ok, I was thinking about this for over half a year
is it worth it?

Isn't there an ondisc version thats cheaper with the expansion?

Congrats on finishing the current grind.
I'm so tempted to spend my next day off spamming that shit so I can get that over with even though I'm going to be doing this again for PLD since I've gotten over wanting WAR.

Moogle quests at max rank give 3 tokens per daily. That means 2 tokens per day, just from the 3 moogle quests. If you do old tribe quests and use tomestones you can get it much faster just doing daily roulettes and the tribe quests each day.

eh… not really?
You get a free month and thanks to the duty roulette you're not going to be in queue for too long unless your a DPS, but it'll feel pretty barren outside of a few people doing dailies or logs.

You decide. It's your by-the-book themepark mmo with all its pros and cons.

This is my fault but it still feels shitty.

right now its still worth getting the glass fibre since the unidentifieds are for my second relic and im umbrite farming now primarily but worth remembering when the undercutters completely render them worthless.

It comes back in Heavensward, im ilvl227 and the first lvl.60 dungeons scale me to ilvl180

Yeah, the Rod of the Black Khan

I guess then I will try the trial version then hoping that it won't be some 5 GB with whopping 10 GB of patching.

What class is this dude?
Can you get his swords?
Are they huge daggers?

It's 10 GB with 15 GB of patching.

Dont bother. The game is a fun adventure until you hit end game, then it's just time gated grinding bullshit to milk you for subscription fees. theres no content.

Rabhaun is a lolicon gigganigga. lvl.99

God damn this is some good bait. That or you're phenomenally retarded.

You mean out of date content can be steam rolled?

Its like complaining going back to starting zones in any rpg means you aren't being challenged.

(Though I do agree the scaling and stat caps are kinda fucked on level 50 dungeons when running them as level 60s)

Target combat is not?
I mean this is no PSO2 or Vindictus, where you actually need to look at the screen to kill things.

Anything can sound stupidly easy if you choose to oversimplify it to the point of being dishonest.

And one cherry picked stupid easy moment does not represent the entire game's combat.

it's the DRK /victory pose, it only lasts like a second. no way to get the male /cposes sadly

one token per two days, they still cost 18 nuts and you get 9 a day

the fuck?

I know I haven't even scratched the surface, but there has to be a quicker way of going about this. I'm probably just being stubborn. I'm sitting here reading threads while afk on my second monitor.

So i'm 85 sands left for my relic and i've started farming esos more actively and im actually running low on untreated sands, i'm at 3 left and leves have given me none in the last week, did they nerf the vilekins?

I think he is a gladiator.

then again you only see him fighting way later in the story line of ARR and then once more in HW.

unlock PLD then just bumrush through the main story, doing daily leveling dungeon and side quests as you have to as you go. make sure you do the hall of novice shit and get the +30% exp ring for finishing it before leveling CNJ

no faster way about it sadly, GLD/PLD and CNJ/WHM are boring as shit low level, not that any of the other classes are that exciting either, but those two take the cake

It gets worse before it gets better.
Hope you like doing outdated level 50 content!

get to 30

I dont know how the fuck people can main healer when the levelling is so fucking boring.
more importantly why is tanks more rare than healers?

People fear the responsibility for some reason, but DRK on ps4 is fucking chill.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ripped off The Gold Saucer next and use it as a way to bring back Goblin Island

well I sure hope they do, we can always use more goblin booty.

To level to 15, aleport is a good spot for fates.

For people who have a hard time leveling, you guys should check into making fate groups now that newbies are appearing everywhere.

Also if you got the new ring from the Smith Tutorial, you already have 30% more xp than most people had when leveling.

People consider it the "hardest" job since you control the pace and "need to know every spawn and mechanic perfectly to be competent".
Like you don't need that for any other role.

Healslut meme

Hahahaha…. Holy shit…

I'm sorry for your loss.

The new Allagan griddle master grip 'n flip! buy yours today!

Thank you.

Explain?

relic looks like salad finger fingered some purple jello.

Is it a weapon? Looks like regular end-game MMO weapon really.
Since it's for ninja I assume you would carry two of them at once?

Here's the thing though, ARR relic for Ninjas was dual Ninja-tos. It went from that, to these. . .things.

The shield was either popped too early or the game glitched out again.

Good luck with the dead arr content. It's much easier if you can find a group to run you through the old dungeons unsynced. However, you'll still run into a big problem with xp, but it might not be too bad if you're lucky.

FF14 is a post-wow themepark mmo. It can be fun, but the content gets old very fast. PVE can be fun up until the tome grind at 60 and pvp is just about dead everywhere except the Jap and maybe Euro servers.

The ARR nin relic was beautiful too. It's a shame they look like dildos now.

it looks like ultros' dick.

Can't you just skin them?
Can you put skins on weapons in FF14?

Oh yeah, but no one feels good about working hard for ugly shit.

Or you can use a tool to change the appearance of your weapons temporarily

fug.

YOSHI YOU LYING SACK OF SHIT"

Sounds pretty cool. I played ninja for a while and was enamored with how they actually used hand signs. I might reinstall the game because it. MIGHT

The biggest issue I had with the game is there was no gear variety. I can deal with static classes, but only gear upgrades? Has that changed at all?

what? did I miss something in this patch?

Go back to rising stones.

just stop buying their games

Sorry Todd, the west is finished.

Haha, nope. The next two updates are going to follow the same gear upgrading system, so you're looking at 4 months minimum for even a possible change to that. I wanna say that Yoshi's said that he doesn't like the idea of having gear alter abilities, but I can't be assed to find any links.

well I did.

holy fuck did they just add this? I had no idea they had added more side story stuff, and its about the fucking legion which is exactly what I wanted more of in this game.
Hell just having more of those 1 man trials was pretty neat already even if the fight wasn't anything even remotely hard

I wasn't aware of it at all, but it was very nice to see what the legion is up to. It was also fun to run along with the Scions for a mission as well. It was also interesting to see that Ivalice has been destroyed or is a shell of its former self by the time of ff14

I hope they drop more content like this for sidequests rather than endless fetch quests and talk to *insert* npc for the next cutscene. It kinda reminded me of the solo quests from DCUO except you get to use your character instead of an npc. Of course, that could be interesting to see what happened to the Scions during their early days post Bahamut and into HW.

i too am curious of these tasty posts
onward

Tfw Yoshi was lying and this world IS Ivalice remade

that would be horrible

So when is Yoshi-p going to release a Ivalice Historia book to explain all this bullshit?

Did anyone watch that 2nd episode of the Final Fantasy XV anime? What the fat fuck was that?

Both RIFT and Lotro had low-man dungeon scenarios that were great. Lotro even let you train a warrior that went with you, giving it skills and abilities and upgrading it with the points you got from completing the missions. I played Loremaster and my fiance played Minstrel, so we made a warrior tank and something else, maybe an archer so we could have a balanced party. I am also just remembering that WoW did micro-missions in Mists.

Ivalice was destroyed and Eorzea was made in its place, the Scions of light from XII are now the Ascians working with Zodiark hoping to undo their mistakes and destroy Eorzea to restore Ivalice.

Fuck me this is tedium.

Trash

I just bought the game for $13.99 and by the time I need the expansion it will probably be cheap too. I figure that it's really not that expensive for something you put so much time into and I don't want to miss something big like this when large scale MMOs seem to be going extinct.

Ill try the demo first. Is the demo like WoW where they give you up to a level for free and let you keep the progress if you buy?

You can get up to level 30 with any job. Lasts for 14 days I think. If you buy you save your progress.

I don't know. I actually just started playing last night. If you can find the game cheap you get 30 days free (or at least I did) so you may be better off doing that.

Oh what the fuck, it didn't show this post until I posted.

So I could've played for 14 days free and then bought the game and got 30 more?

Not entirely sure, maybe.

They never let me tweak my characters looks or anything I chose again huh? Can I at least get a haircut later?

Hmm well it's something the guy thinking about playing could look into. 44 days is pretty long, so some people might enjoy even just playing for that time if they just want a cheap way to experience the game firsthand.

Yes, there is a quest to unlock the Aesthetician which can change your haircut, tattoos and makeup. You will also get a one-time use item to change your looks once you pay for your first month.

Here's a video I found that outlines what happened before ARR. In case anyone else new wanted to know.
(That mage guy seemed kind of lame.)

Should I be joining a free company yet? Free companies are pretty much guilds right? Well people constantly send requests to me and this one guy was just saying I'd get a home plus EXP or something? I really need to read a starters guide or something. Hopefully the game tells me more about most of this when I reach I higher level though.

Awesome, thanks. I just didn't know if I should be pouring hours into this character when there's so many things I wish I did different. I'm gonna take my time and put a lot of thought into it next time.

Well if you're on Exodus you could join nWo and yeah some Free Companies have houses and xp boosts.

So what's the best healing class? Im guessing White mage because no shit. But someone in the thread said something about scholar?

Also does it make a big difference which class you start with?

Nearly all end game groups will use a White Mage and a Scholar. White Mage is your basic big heals and regens type while Scholar has a healing pet to micro in addition to its own skills, which while offering less healing than WHM will put up potent damage barriers.

As Scholar has greater DPS potential the White Mage usually acts as the 'main healer' while the Scholar spends most of the time DPSing while using his pet to 'off heal' breaking DPS to help with AoE heals or to throw out barriers/damage reduction when they are needed.

Astrologian is the third healer and is generally agreed to be the worst, does not have the healing potential of WHM or the strong barriers of SCH while also having the lowest DPS in the game. It's gimmick is a tarot card based RNG buff system which can be useful sometimes but is ultimately overshadowed by how consistantly useful the other two healers are.

not really, what class you pick decides what city you'll be stuck in for the first 15 levels or so, outside of that no changes

So does 8/v/ has a guild? I don't want to be stuck with some rp'ers

What's rp'ers? He talked about it here but I'm somewhere else so I havent looked into it.

and I think I'll go with a scholar since it reminds me of a resto shaman with the off healing and gimmicks

Do you like healing people or are you trying to pick a class that will get you invited more?

I was always a healer in WoW since it was the only role I liked. Something about having to pay attention to 10 things at once appease my autism

Oh okay, I ask because in the only other MMO I played, which is Guild Wars that's the only thing I played as and I'd get a little jealous of other classes sometimes. It was still fun and worked out, since it turned out people were always looking for them.
I picked "gladiator" in this so I could see what fighting is like, but now I'm thinking I should've played as a different race and picked a spellcaster class.

Those little hobbit elf things look so stupid. They look like they're 5 years old, but have mustaches and stuff.

its alright though most shitters in i130 gear do about the same dps as a decent player in i70

I dunno, shit's supposed to be cute, but they fucking push them as equals, like that fucking pugilist master girl or fucking head of sultana's knights.
It makes game impossible to take seriously, it's some parody on actual fantasy world instead of being one.

It's not hard to guess who's target audience for them is, but in fucking Final Fantasy game I didn't really expect this.

MMOs usually pander to autists

FF is more, how should I put it, normalfag friendly franchise, it's insanely popular and is played by all sort of people, not just your average channer.
So I wouldn't expect them to put dedicated loli race in there, but they did.
I guess japs gonna jap, regardless of how big they get.

That is the problem. I should read to see if they even try to explain it. The fucking things should live out in the woods with moogles or something. They kill my immersion. I love how they were acting like I should fear the one with the goatee who threatens that guy that owes him money.

I mean what is this shit?
Am expected to take it seriously? I can't even fucking say if it's male or female, let alone sentient being.
And these things are everywhere, in every cut scene, in every quest, you can't fucking make a step without running into at least one of them.

That one must be a badass with his bandana and tattoos. Maybe he's a pirate or something. I just had to protect one and I kept forgetting it wasn't a child until she talked all stupid.

Also what's up with weird ass quest system?
Why would you give it to me in the first place?

That's funny I thought I did higher missions, but I guess not. I know some things like main job ones will tell you to come back when your a higher level and won't let you even take them.
Is there a lot of people on your server right now? The one I was on started getting really dead. Maybe I should've picked a different one, since I keep such fucked up hours.

Yeah here they come. I believe you even is a part of free company with some autistic name.

There quests that you can't accept until you're higher level, and then there ones that you can take, accomplish and the can't hand in until you're higher level.
I'm on odin, but I chose it on whim and don't know really what is contingent there.

I'm on Jenova which apparently is one of the newer ones. I'm guessing it might be slower in the starting cities than in whatever other cities people end up in anyway, but since it's a US server, playing at this time will probably always be significantly slower.

What bonus does the hobgoblin class get? They don't look to be good at anything.

The Black Dog Knights is not an autistic name!

racials really dont mattter in this game but I am fairly sure they get an INT and DEX bonus though.

Tssk like that stupid little troll would be smarter than my pretty much human race DEX makes sense since they're small, but they don't look any more nimble than your average toddler.

That's your character's or your free company's name? Company I hope.

then again Most lalafells in the world are not fighters, most of them are either farmers (plainsfolk) or merchants (dunesfolk).

yeah its my own company I started a while ago.

Also.
I'm far from being 50, but I want to know how exactly does glamour work. All I manage to google is confusing as fuck.

Basically.
I play as rogue.
Can I make my leather armor to look like plate armor?

Lalas exist for the spirit of the dance.

you can only glamour stuff you can wear normally. so no if you cant wear plate you wont be able to look like you do.

You should've made it The Green Dog Dudes instead.

Oh wow, only rogues can do that or everyone? It feels like they always make the best armor the ugliest in games. I want to wear the best man suit, but with high stats.

Well shit. That's some fucked up system.

Also obligatory lala warning.

Ast is our first support feeling class, at worst the ast class might make it where we will never get the rdm class.

t-thanks yoshi

Lalafell aren't equals. They're far superior to most races other than Elzen and some Hyur/Roe. They created black magic and used it to destroy their rivals.They're beings of superior magical energy and managed to rule Thanalan for generations.

The main reason they never clashed with Ishgard is because they aren't fond of the cold weather. They also are the base race for Sch and helped create a superior healing class. The only ones to really go toe-to-toe with them were the Whms of Ampador.

You make or buy glamour crystals of the rank that you require. You can only glamour items that your class or job can wear. If an item says Sch only then only Schs can glamour that. You could still glamour it on another piece of gear, but it won't show up. If an item says DOW only then DOM and the crafters/gatherers can't use it.

That's a funny way of saying they jew'd their way into uldah and just want to create greater uldah.

This is how the weeping city fell. They built a great wall.

and theres stuff just by gender too, you arent always locked to rogue gear for rogue.

Fucking hell google, I would do all sorts of shit for that fiber.

Race war when

I want to eat potatoes

I have never cringed so hard at anything not related to furries or minecraft before. What a toolbox.

christ, just when you think you've seen the limits of autism in this game

Someone post the Unlimited Blade Works Limit Break

You think thats bad?

You're a saint.

As a DPS, thank you.

post more catgirls

¨maybe next thread.

maybe.

One of my favorite image sets

Sweater meat always gets me rock hard.

What's the best way to learn about macros? I don't even know what one is. Are they necessary?

In combat? not really. Shitter healers will say they need them but this games designed to be played on a playstation.

Crafting on the other hand can automate and garauntee HQ results with cross job skills.

I have a total of four macros, two on PLD, two on DRK
I have one for Cover, to let the target know the green beam is me soaking their damage
One for Hallowed Ground so healers know it popped

One for Sole Survivor
And one for Hallowed Ground because despite my health constantly staying around 0 some healers usually don't get the idea to fucking heal

Macros are very helpful with healers as you can do all sorts of stuff with them like tt, target of target and heal with mouse over. is just being a nog who confused macros with cross-class skills.

You should really never macro on dps classes as that will cut into your dps pretty heavily. Healers can get away with it as their dps is generally pretty shitty in comparison and it wasn't until recently that they were able to get the accuracy they needed to avoid strings of misses in higher level content. Tanks can put some macros to good use like provoke macros to help the other tank know that you're switching or taking aggro. Then there's duty specific macros like the ones used in Shiva to help df players know when to pick up lightning balls and when to leave them the hell alone.

Macros can also be heavily used in crafting when your stats are high enough for a given craft to just power through it for hq. If your stats aren't high enough then macros could fuck you over as you may end up missing many good and excellent procs. If you just want to mass produce crafts regardless of quality then there's also quick synthesis. If you dc during a craft then you have like a 10% to keep your materials. The Cul skill reclaim shoots that up to 90% chance, but you could still lose the materials and be pretty fucked.

There are a number of cross-class skills that I'd say most if not all consider to be mandatory due to how effective they are. There are plenty of guides out there and many of the HW rotations change these around a bit. Due to the nature of the game, you're more than likely going to be expected to level up multiple classes. You'll have plenty of time between expacs to do this casually as well as there isn't much to do once you've capped out for the week other than to level the other classes.

jesus christ.

Thanks, I'm gonna find some resources and read more about this. I think, I might really like MMOs and I didn't even know what a DPS class or macro or anything was before this (not that I totally do now, but I'm starting to figure things out). I just hope that learning all of this helps me in future titles too.