Actively developed open source games

I'm a software development student, and I need to start building up a github profile to help get a good job after school. Contributing to random open source games seems like a fun way to do that. What open source games are out there that are still being developed, are unfinished, or just need programmers in general?

I know of a few, but I'm hoping to a find a game that I'm really interested in, so I have more motivation to actually contribute.

The ones I can think of are:
Endless Sky
Pioneer
Thrive
Dark Space

Other urls found in this thread:

osgameclones.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Platinum Arts Sandbox

Cataclysm DDA is a very active project that has a very large community of developers. They have an active IRC channel and while I don't have personal experience I don't think they're too exclusive about pull requests.

Contribute to OpenMW, Tes games are very popular it will probably look very good on your resume.

I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding the point of this, user.

I thought the dev base of Cata got overtaken by a bunch of furry degenerates? Still a good idea, though. I like that game.

This is also good, I'll look into it. Even though I hated Morrowind, and I won't be looking for a game dev job anyway so they won't know what tes is.

I guess part of being pretty open about accepting pull requests is that everyone can spread their personal degeneracy.

Go work on OpenMW, it's technically not a game but it gets a lot more publicity than pretty much any OS game since it's an extension of a very popular one.

Don't be stupid OP. Let your passion be money. There is no man on earth that is more fortunate than those who are able to live by doing their passion.

TES is pretty popular, Skyrim was like 30 million sales I think, it would hold more value than other projects listed here based on that alone.

I guess there's no point in working on a game you don't like.

I can't into art or music and have very specific wants for that stuff. So unless I finally learn to draw and make music, that's probably not going to happen.

Commission that shit fam, especially art. Making art assets is for chumps, your time is much better spent finding some poor schmuck on DA and hiring them to do whatever you need. It'll be better than you could ever make it and if you're better off working a minimum wage job and paying an artist than you are spending all that time yourself to make something that doesn't even look good.

As for music you can do that very quickly, but musicians are also very cheap and better than you so you might as well commission that too. Just stock up some money on a real job first while making whatever you want with placeholder assets, and when you think you're onto something good hire people to do the grunt work for you.

Xonotic. If you're the kind for arena shooters.

ALL OF THEM

OpenRA is good tho.

Poor wildebeest. Just look into his eyes and see the despair and hardship he has endured.

battle for wesnoth

FreeCiv
OpenXcom
CorsixTH
The Dark Mod
SuperTuxKart
Warzone 2100
OpenTTD
OpenRCT2
Simutrans
Widelands
0 A.D.
Hedgewars
OpenClonk
FlightGear
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup

/hgg/ has a few if you're into lewd games.

FreeOrion

But hating a game is a perfectly good reason to program it because it won't kill the joy in playing it. People that program vidya eventually end up hating playing the game they are making, sometimes even the genre as a whole if they have to be playtest it too.

also,

Battle for Wesnoth
Iceball (though its dev time is really sporadic)
Space Station 14 (same as above)
Stunt Rally / VDrift
Minetest / Freeminer / Voxelands (not sure about the last two, which are forks that are pretty slow?)
Terasology
Teeworlds
OpenApoc
Arx Libertatis
GemRB

there's probably some more active shit in osgameclones.com/

76/sp/ sends its regards.

nah

thank

I played some OpenClonk, and I can honestly see a shitload of potential for this becoming an amazing game with some work put into it. I hope I can actually help this project out. Thanks for mentioning it user.

didn't some former FASA employees release the source code for Mechwarrior 4 several years later?