I wanna get into the Kirby series. Where should I start? What are the essentials? What can I skip?

I wanna get into the Kirby series. Where should I start? What are the essentials? What can I skip?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/yrXX1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Begin with Kirby Super Star on the SNES.
Then go from there. The games are easily accessible.

These are all the ones that I like, but I haven't played all of them. I'd say play Amazing Mirror if you could only play one.

What said.

Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse, if you want touch screen gameplay.

Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot for more Super Star gameplay.

Return to Dreamland and Epic Yarn provides the best multiplayer experience.

Dream Land 3, Amazing Mirror, and 64 are okay.

Squeak Squad is underrated.

Adventure (Nightmare in Dreamland) is also okay, but hasn't aged well imo

Is this nigger for rea? You dont get into Kirby, just pick whichever you like the most.

Play them all by chronological order. There are no bad Kirby games.

I would start with either Super Star or Adventure, which was remade on the Game Boy Advance as Nightmare in Dream Land. Don't play the 3DS version, the platforms are best played with a proper D-pad.

Kirby Super Star is an absolutely perfect game.

user GET OUT

Just start with the first one, Kirby's Dream Land

saving it as png isn't going to fix those awful artifacts.

That text is completely illegible.

Says you. It's great! It removes slowdown along with some subtle gradients and underwater color overlay, along with other minor additions.

There aren't awful Kirby games, more odd offshoots you might not care as much for.

The standard platformers without any too out-there gimmicks are as follows:

Try any of those. Oddly enough, Dream Land 1 feels off now since it didn't have copy powers. Still, it's easy and short enough to try sans Extra Game.

I died far more than necessary

CLASSIC KIRBY
When you think Kirby, you think this. These two games are the quintessential Kirby games. Some of Sakurai's greatest works. Both of these games are practically perfect, and it's really a matter of picking what version of the game you want to play. With Kirby's Adventure, you can play the original, which while very impressive for the system unfortunately suffers slow-down a lot. You can play the GBA remake Nightmare in Dreamland, which while faithful in many areas, great framerate, and the new Meta Knightmare mode, does change the minigames, suffer screen crunch, and the art style may not be everyone's tastes. Also the stunning Butter Building sequence was cut. The 3DS Classic version of Kirby's Adventure is probably the best, pixel perfect, no slowdown, and the 3D looks very great.

With Super Star, it's the original, or the DS. There's not much to say, the DS is overall superior and has more content. The multiplayer isn't as seamless due to the system change though, and Meta Knight had a line changed in the remake, but that's about it.

THE DARK MATTER TRILOGY
From the mysterious director Shinichi Shimomura. These are very unique Kirby games, that take the series in a more whimsical direction as opposed to cartoonish like Sakurai's. It's unique gameplay focuses on a few major abilities and experimenting with them, either with animal friends or combining. The series focuses heavily on style, with some of the best art and sound direction in the franchise. Some people may not be fans of the slow gameplay, but others will be a fan of how deep and lore-heavy it is. If you play them, play them in order to understand the full story.

HAIL TO THE KIRB-Y
From director Kumazaki, these games play more similarly to Classic Kirby, usually with some twists. These games are a love letter to the series, and bring back many old characters and concepts, with some really neat lore thrown in for good measure. I'd save these until after you've completed at LEAST the Classic Kirby games. Though the more you play, the more you'll appreciate these as you'll get all the little references

EXPERIMENTAL KIRBY

KIRBY SPINOFFS

IF YA JUST NEED MORE

MAJOR THINGS TO KNOW
A lot of Kirby games remix music from classic games. Kirby games have always had fucking fantastic soundtracks, so that's not a bad thing. It's always fun to see what classic themes get remixed in new releases.

He appears in a lot less games then you'd think. King Dedede is Kirby's main rival, having appeared in all but one game. Whispy Woods too, he's appeared in I believe every game in some form.

Kirby is really big there. There's a lot of Japanese love for Kirby as opposed to here. Kirby is considered about the same level as Mario and Zelda over there. Lot of Pixiv content because of this.

Not joking, there is a lot of lore, backstory, and all kinds of fun shit. That alone can keep people busy.

Kirby games consistantly have good graphics, consistantly have good OSTs. Even the weakest game in the series, Squeak Squad, is still pretty fun. In short, you're gonna have a fun time with this series.

Play the following:

Dream Land
Adventure
Dream Land 2
Super Star

And then you can stop. The series went to shit after that, everything else is skippable.

I have been hearing a lot of good things about Robobot, is it that good?
I though Triple Deluxe was a little too easy

That isn't even the most up-to-date version of that chart iirc

The graphics update was nice along with the addition of ability hats for powers that might've never gotten such things otherwise like Ball but the game was made easier and if I remember right Kirby and other characters are bigger in proportion to their general environment so levels feel way smaller and a couple things don't work correctly.

There's also effects they didn't bother recreating like Butter Building's rotating tower, so the NES actually beats out the GBA for visual quality or graffix in some respects. Overall I'd say go either NES or 3DS for Kirby's Adventure, 3DS for the 3D Classics re-release that has the updates mentioned (including a slowdown fix which is huge).

Robobot is tying Kirby into something of a loose continuity in release order, which previously Return to Dream Land did by Magolor loosely recounting Milky Way Wishes and establishing there was more than one wish-granting clockwork monster Nova out there. Robobot's a teensy bit harder than Triple Deluxe but like TD its difficulty doesn't really kick in until the last boss and then the Arenas.

Biggest thing for Robobot is that it shows they're inching their way towards bringing back animal buddies; the mech basically functions as one of the Dream Land 2/3 animal buddies, though it isn't perfect since it has a comparatively small selection of copy abilities (in-game you simply won't encounter enemies that provide mech-incompatible abilities and ability stars you pop out before climbing in poof away). Fantastic soundtrack with a shit-ton of remixes from previous games and lots of references to previous games, though it goes a bit far with it in some respects like a few of the bosses.

No matter how hard I try I can't get the hang of the controls on Rainbow Curse. Am I just retarded? I hear people complaining about Star Fox's controls but I get those just fine, but this, I can't figure out.

archive.is/yrXX1

Make sure you play kirbys block ball

Honestly Squeak Squad reminded me most of Great Cave Offensive.

Both Squeak Squad and Amazing Mirror have you picking up treasure chests, but AM is more opened up kind of like a large chunk of the Great Cave Offensive is, while SS is linear and treats the chests like the Star Coins in a NewSMB title (with more benefits in collecting them).

I know I'll get flak, but I am in the camp of those that like Squeak Squad more than Amazing Mirror, since AM is a bit too ambitious in its scope. Also yes, GCO does drag on too long and I go for every chest. That castle portion is the worst.

Just on a superficial level, with chests being an optional reward for puzzles. Dynablade and revenge had a punchy, story-focused plot that kept things at an active pace, where Offensive was far more content to let the player explore these massive branching puzzles of discovery for themselves. They lend themselves to quite different feels for the kirby games, and squeak squad reflects that aspect of kirby far more then offensive.

If amazing mirror didn't exist, squeak squad would be in it's place, but amazing mirror capitalises on that experience far more.

It's ambition made it a better game. Squeak Squad is dogshit.

Those are some really nice digits.

Damn user, you're really into it. Thanks a lot.

user
GET
OUT

It should also be noted that this particular trilogy is universally considered the darkest in the entire Kirby series, Dream Land 3 and Crystal Shards in particular. If you're a fan of the "not quite right" feeling in cheerful games, play these games ASAP.

I miss the tone of the Dark Matter trilogy. I dropped out during the DS series because I can't see them ever going back to something like that with modern Nintendo.

Not Kirby related, but reminded me of this.

Super Star Ultra came so goddamn close with the True Arena, but they haven't put in an honest attempt at a dark tone since. All their "woo spooky dark bosses" lately have been mediocre and haven't come close to Dark Matter/Zero.

Why hasn't Nintendo/HAL ported/remade Kirby Tilt N Tumble on the 3DS? Wouldn't the 3DS be able to accomplish the tilt controls?

Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble wasn't a commercial success. They only want to remake/port games that have garnered significant interest, i.e. will make them loads of money.

But now is the perfect time: You've got a big name property with a brand new game (which will undoubtedly be someone's first Kirby game), the technology has improved to accurately make the tilt technology not only usable but actually good and the nostalgia bait of the Late 90's/Early 2000's

I think they have Kirby's Star Stacker on the NA Eshop, so I'm certain tha's not it

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of Tilt 'n Tumble required you to jerk your Game Boy up to make Kirby jump over obstacles and whatnot. You couldn't do that with a 3DS, the flip screen would close and you'd end up with a lot of dissatisfied players who died because they couldn't see where they were going.

why kirby superstar has no romhax?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fucking hated that meme. Thanks for the RE OC though, can't get enough of this shit.

I find it retarded that these greedy fucks only see successful games as remaster/remake potential even though those games already sold a ton and probably wont sell much more. When you can just give something that didn't sell well on it's current form a 2nd chance with better hardware.

the worst song meme has to be gourmet race remixes