So what's going to be the big trend among video games next decade...

So what's going to be the big trend among video games next decade? In the early to mid 2000s it was mmos (always being advertised as WoW killers), then it was dark n' gritty fps games, and now it's open world.

Forced multiplayer elements

Good games.

Good one

We had that one before WoW, with every fucking game having a multiplayer attached to it.

I guess FPS moba or whatever it's called?

Shitty movie games like The last of us.

Moba, F2P, and Gambling when applicable. DLCs, Microtransactions, Paid Mods, etc. What's that OP we already have that? You haven't seen anything yet.

Sounds like Holla Forumslack fantasy.

No. I'm talking about social aspects to singleplayer games. Like MGSV does with the FOB and Asscreed with their questions and Valve wants to do on their next skngle player games. Meaning that you dont get the full game experience unless you are always connected.

There was a whole thread from picrelated with much more information either on /gghq/ or Holla Forums a year ago. I should have saved it on archive.is instead of 8archive.

MOBA/ASSFAGGOTS/SHITCUNTS

Should be self explanatory. Overwatch is a very popular game, so it's only natural for other devs to want a slice of the pie. Though Overwatch didn't invent the FPS-ASSFAGGOT hybrid (Titanfall had half of the formula with its AI bots that count for winning the game and Black Ops 3 had the other half with "hero" characters with insta-fuck you "ults") we can be sure other games will mimic it hoping (and likely failing) to earn it's success.

It seems every game nowadays wants itself to be taken seriously competitively, likely hoping to earn those e-spurts sponsorship shekels. I imagine a lot of the new multiplayer games will have their own no fun allowed competitive gamemodes where an otherwise casual game will now have a strict meta and a community of players of somewhat higher skill looking to rank up from "Bronze League" to "Slightly Higher than Bronze League." Expect cringeworthy "tournaments" full of players barely giving a fuck about the game they're playing with commentators desperately trying to make the game look more exciting than it actually is. Also expect that godawful Competitive/Casual community divide in which both communities fight over who the devs love more so they can have the balance fixed in their favor.

Mostly an indie gayme thing. Originally it started as a way of shockingly immersing the player by not only addressing him directly, but outright making him an unwitting character in the story. Nowadays I imagine it will be a way of indie devs of living their own version of a power fantasy by snatching control away from the player in a YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL ANYMORE manner and making the player the one fighting for his "life" with the player character being little more than his vessel. Either that or a Spec-Ops/tumblrtale style "Lecture the player about what an asshole he is for playing the game and trying to enjoy it" spiel. I imagine such games will pander to MatPat/VaatiVidya-type game overanalyzers harder than indie horror games pandered to Pewdiepie/Markiplier back in 2013-14,

As for some trends I am also predicting but aren't important enough to warrant their own paragraphs:

Possibly gimmicky VR. Almost certainly cross-platform play between consoles and PC. More DLC jewing. Episodic games from AAA publishers trying to squeeze more money out of a shrinking pool of players willing to put up with their bullshit which will shrink more as a result (i.e. the Games Workshop model).

AAA companies will start releasing games as early access then cancel them after 2 years of no development.

Do Minecraft clones count as a minor trend?

I suppose this would include "muh cinematic experience" games like TLoU, right?

It's a small wonder this isn't common place yet. Big studious could easily cash in on nostalgia without risky upfront investments and could gauge the profitability of the game during the game's development.

Advanced physics engines and large-scale multiplayer.

See: Sui Generis, Camelot Unchained, Bannerlord, Cossacks 3.

These are the only games that are worth being excited about.

Everything else is Indietrash and consolegarbage.

Hopefully we get a new Stalker after this.

Games going from propaganda to direct action through blurring lines between game and reality. Like Watch_Doug 3 will condition you against white people then get you to form squads IRL and get e-sheckels for being within GPS range of Republican rallies they direct you to protest. Various liberal cause protests/riots will hand out DLC codes for OP weapons of virtue you can only get that way. Unique characters for people that the game can tell legally changed their gender. Buckle up.

Now you are just being silly, there's gotta be some kaws against that

I just hope the game no longer crashes after army-stacking stops and the blobs collapse on eachother.

This sums up all the cancer we can expect from now on.
Time to focus on that backlog and completely ignore new "games"

I actually kind of miss the days of multiplayer just being thrown into games more or less as an afterthough. Things like the DK64 multiplayer, which clearly had next to no effort put into it, but was kind of fun anyway.

[genre that i disliked]

I guess because they were just fun little experiments, that could lead to some pretty memorable, unique experiences, even if they never ended up being one of your go to multiplayer games. These days there's a lot of pressure to have your multiplayer mode live up to the heavy hitters, so if devs don't think they can create the next CoD or TF2, they don't bother with multiplayer at all, and we miss out on those janky and poorly balanced but kind of cool in a strange way multiplayer experiences that we used to have.

Class-based multiplayer shooters (always being advertised as TF2 killers)

educational walking simulators full of multicultural trans fags (not for Israel, though), all publishers have to make them to prove they are progressive enough, sales don't matter, because tax payers (willingly I'm sure) subsidize the agenda games, enjoy

I think it will be a lot of games similar to The Division, which is an alteration/casualization of the DayZ formula

And if not that then slow action games inspired by the souls games such as the Dad of War reboot

these seem likely as well, and Overwatch clones are basically guaranteed. I actually think it's strange that it took this long to catch on given how popular and financially successful TF2 was.

Now they're Overwatch killers

"We want the Overwatch pie"

ENERGY SYSTEMS IN FULL PRICED RETAIL GAMES
Publishers will use the term "discouraging unhealthy rushing" to justify it.

I love how there is nothing unique whatsoever about MOBA's but now anything which has:
1. Simple NPCs to kill
2. Characters you pick to play as
3. skills and "ultimates"
4. Team oriented gameplay

Is now "moba-like". Considering I just also described a bunch of different genres, it's quite upsetting. Even the people who pretend they are somehow patrician video game players by hating on MOBAs don't realize they are abiding by that very paradigm because they view everything through a lens of "moba-like" and just lump things they don't like as "like MOBAs" because they think it means something.

Too bad it isn't.

Has low poly been trendy? I thought it was getting popular for a while but I don't think it ever got mainstream.

Remasters are turning into reboots, and it's getting old fast.

I predict all of these will collectively dominate vidya for years now. No reason a single genre has to dominate at any one time.

are mobile games slowing down?

Well since you're not counting it right now. Futuristic settings are popular as fuck for no reason. So that should be your new thing.

MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. It applies to every online multiplayer game so it only stands to reason that every game would be called a MOBA.

Low Poly wont catch on because to actually do low poly you need to exercise restraint, the whole reason low poly can look good is ingenuity from strict limits on how much you can use.

Forced online, """"""""open world""""""", cinematic non-game shit, VR shit, cucked emotional indie shit.

Yeah I want to believe that's going to turn out to be good but I'm having a hard time with what's being shown

Also someone needs to slap the concept artist. I went to school with better artists

The same thing happening now: stagnation, regression, a general decline in quality and complexity.

More remakes of remakes of remakes, each more diluted than the last.

I think that they are, or at least a lot of the potential market niches have been sufficiently saturated that breakout titles which are just ripoffs of flash games for mobile devices will continue to dominate.
you'll still have shit like Evony (I still remember when it shamelessly used AoE 2 sprites) and age of war and other farm-clickers, that's just a niche of the market, but there won't be successes as big and as frequently as there have been in the past.

won't continue to dominate
sage for doublepost

already come and gone. all the ASSFAGGOT wannabes are already dead, LoL and Dota2 are still trucking.
now it's TEAMFORTRESSNOTASSFAGGOTS but they're already out and dying.

Everything is moba lite. Games have "ults" for no goddamn reason now.

League is slowly dying so expect lots of overeat clones for 3 years

And overwatch was a TF2 killer.
Just like all those other games that also weren't even remotely similar to tf2.

how the fuck did it happen

I foresee an increase in bloom and HDR with a huge selection of shades of brown. It will be revolutionary!

hopefully more than one MMOFPS

You cant kill whats already dead.

Some of these things are already happening but I expect them to become even more popular.

come on guys, we already named these things

the same games youve been playing for the last 30 years but worse somehow

shitty VR aspects will definitely attempt to make a thing out of itself. i'm expecting it all to fall flat on its face though since every vr game advertised right now looks like shovelware trash

did you just get the internet yesterday? this has been going on since forever

Forced political messages out the ass.

year of the linux and video game crash :^(

Also as soon as the servers are shut down, that game is going to be nothing more than a drink coaster.

Meanwhile, that Sega Genesis cartridge you bought in the 90s will still be playable.