Just got around to finishing this, and it was alright. Is second one worth playing at all...

Just got around to finishing this, and it was alright. Is second one worth playing at all? I have heard nothing but "men" about it. Are there any other games similar to it? I feel like it could have been much better if they went back and actually made it somewhat sensible.

Also, Open-world games thread, I guess.

"Meh"*

Avoid the second one

Alright. What's wrong with it in particular?

They ruined everything.

Well that's a good reason.

The black guy steals a helicopter full of scientists that have the knowledge that he needs. Rather than absorb them which could potentially end his vengeance fueled quest, he gets so mad he crashes the helicopter and kills them.

Second one is slightly worse in terms of gameplay and completely shit in terms of character/story.

Now granted the first game game pretty close to the edgy line and wasn't exactly stand-out in either category but the sequel did crazy shit like making 'Mercer' the antagonist and some fucking terrible plot twists.

The second sucks, since the controls are less smooth. Also, you play as a dumb nigger that cannot compete with mercer.

I actually really liked the story, trying to figure out who Pariah was while running around the city with a tank for a hat was great fun

You also lose access to a fair few powers for whatever reason.

For the first game? I'd agree that it was far above what you'd expect for the genre and I rather enjoyed the more subtle/optional web of intrigue shit. Certainly it works better than boring collectibles stuck on a map just to waste your time. Perhaps 'doesn't stand out outside of its genre' would have been a fairer statement.

Everythign was simplified and it became way too easy. Also you play a nigger that keep talking like a nigger.

The boss fight also turned to shit. In the first one, you had different kind of boss. In the second, they all are "Infected" which are literally all the same but with different skin. There are max 3 different boss-like enemy.

They DID improve the control if you use a keyboard like a savge just like me, and they improved the difficulty scalling.

A lot of ability were removed (No more armor, shield is now an insta block button, no muscle mass and alot of fighting.)

Story wise, It's shit, Alex Mercer saturday cartoon evil because of something that you can learn only from some comic that you can't find online for some reason. Also, Remeber everything you learned from consuming key people? You never hear about it. There are literrally 0 mention of the pariah, of e other Runner or any bit of lore from the 1 one that made it interesting.

But if you do get it, get the colossal mayhem and the Excessive force dlc from this enabler. It had some weapon, power and 6 different skin that actually look really nice to cover up your nigger character.

Pic related, one of the skin. It will even remplace Heller niggeroid speech with growling that make the game better.

Jesus, I think I have brain damage.

The second one slightly improved on the combat, but everything else about it is diarrhea.

Alex didn't have much of a character in the first game, but they decided to throw it all out anyway and make him lmaoedgymurder because his girlfriend betrayed him in the between-game comic book. You now play as The Angriest Black Man who Alex gave powers for literally no reason, and you need to kill Alex before he infects the entire world because his girlfriend betrayed him in a between-game comic book and now he hates everyone. Instead of being psychopaths who do terrible things that need to be done, Blackwatch now just do terrible things for the lulz. Blackwatch grunts have two personalities: Hillbilly Hyuk Hick, and Murderboner Misanthropist. Scientists have one personality: cowardly evil. The dialogue is atrocious.

The RPG elements were simplified into "collect all the things and get all the levels and you get all the powers". Instead of powers unlocking for purchase as it makes sense to acquire them and gaining evolution points for doing basically anything, i.e. Alex can start learning the unarmed combat moves after his arm powers get suppressed by the parasite, you just collect a bunch of audiologs of Blackwatch doing terrible shit then dying because they're morons now, and that unlocks a power point you can put into anything but the good stuff because the good stuff is locked behind the Red Zone for no apparent reason.

I could go on, almost every aspect of this game has something wrong with it. The only thing they did okay was the arm power stuff. Every arm power at least somewhat useful; Claws isn't obsoleted after you get Blade, the Groundspikes were merged into Hammerfist, Hammerfist is amazing and not a joke, Tendrils is really cool, but that's it. The arm powers are the only half-decent part of the game.

Don't use so many new lines user. Shit looks a lot longer in the reply box but once you post you'll get it all spaced out and that looks like shit.

Technically 'Alex' since it wasn't exactly him…

Mercer said he has all of the memories of people he killed, including their dying perspective AS HE KILLED THEM.

What a waste of a possibly very complex and conflicted character

Prototype is basically the 3rd Incredible Hulk game, it's made by the same guys. Ultimate destruction was a really great game so they just reskined it 3 times.

I remember the Edward Norton Hulk movie game was pretty good but not as good as Ultimate destruction. (It's been a long time since I played it, I only rented it.)

One part i loved about Ultimate destruction is that there was you could unlock Joe Fixit hulk and he had unique sarcastic dialogue threw the whole game.
that crappy pic was the only in game picture of the costume I could find on google

this is the pic i ment to mentioned in the spoiler

What a crock of shit. Oh well, I can't say I'm surprised. Right along the lines of Darksiders 2 in terms of shitting the bed. Wew

Agreed, there were lots of things that could have been done with the premise but they didn't even bother with.

I'm not too big of a Hulk fan, but I'll try it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Here's one small thing that no one mentioned. The special infected fights are all extremely lame.
You find them, expose them, chase them around town while they cackle on about the new human race Mercer wants to create 4no raisin, then get smashed into the pavement because they all have the same arm blade and no fighting skill.
The game is a cakewalk up until the Mercer fight, and even that wasn't that hard.
I think the only thing I can say I honestly enjoyed is the Sin City filter they overlaid on the screen during the last boss fight with Mercer.
The whole game was a clusterfuck. Especially Heller. Mercer had some character development, but Heller stays angry motherfucking nigga for the entire game.

Because nobody else mentioned it yet, I have to point out that the Mercer fight is the only unique boss fight in the game, and it's a QTE.

The fight is literally Mercer uses an arm power, so you use the one that beats it rock-paper scissors style, then mash a QTE to damage him. Repeat until he dies. The end.

That, and someone else said the game was casualized, and they weren't kidding. The game is a fucking joke in terms of difficulty, especially compared to the original. The highest difficulty in 2 is easier than the easiest difficulty in 1. You gain complete damage immunity to all ballistic weapons like 1-2 hours into the game for fuck's sake.