Playstation smash 2

Sequel when?

Never. Sony has already seen the first PSASBR as a financial failure, and Nintendo will forever hold the monopoly of platform fighters.

>there will never be a good non-Nintendo Smash Bros

Here's the truth: this game didn't suck because it was sony smash, this game sucked because sony DIDN'T COMMIT.

They put half a foot in the pond and then shat their pants when they felt wet.

The team had no time, no funds, was understaffed, they asked to get certain characters and companies instead gave them other characters to promote relevant games at the time (They wanted snake, they gave them MGR Raiden, they wanted Dante, they gave them Donte etc).

I firmly believe the devs wanted to make a good game but they were rushed as fuck, and literally didn't have the material necessary to make a decent sony brawler, because Sony was too scared to try something they weren't quite sure was gonna sell or not, and only put in 1/4 of the effort and resources required to actually make a good game.

So, people would make a good sequel if Sony actually cares?

I'd have liked it if they could have had a Wild Arms or Shadow Hearts rep (Ashley and Yuri seem like they'd have been good choices), considering Shadow Hearts has only even been one Sony systems while Sony outright owns the rights to the Wild Arms franchise, but I suppose both franchises aren't well known these days and any rep would have been treated as a "literally who?" by most players. Though I suppose that certainly didn't stop Marth, Roy, and Lucas from becoming well known with Nintendo fans due to Smash Bros, and at the time the west hadn't seen their respective games (and in Fire Emblem's case, ANY games in the series), whereas the west actually has gotten Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts. Every entry made, even.

I wonder if they even bothered asking about getting reps for either of those. Hell, with Wild Arms I'm not sure they'd have even needed to as, again, the series is (was?) owned by them directly, though developed third party by Media.Vision. Would have made more sense than, say, Subject Delta or whoever that is as a Bioshock rep (considering Bioshock is multiplat and all and I suppose not something Sony has been particularly known for as an IP or even particular entry).

I also suppose that, had they tried to even get Crash or Spyro who were conspiculously absent, Activision would have cleared them for "winged toad abortion" Spyro and tattooed Crash since those were the most recent designs (if memory serves) rather than the ones series fans would enjoy.

PSABR is one of the worst fighters I ever played. Maybe it could have been good if the team was given SIGNIFICANTLY more time like says, but if they recreate the first one, I'm not interested.

The idea of a PlayStation related crossover isn't that bad, but it didn't worked in this game because of a collection of terrible desicions.

They could not only add more characters that should have been there, but also use a better budget at the point where the menus don't look like a fucking flash game.

If they're gonna do a sequel, they need to not make stupid decisions like DLC characters who aren't even Playstation (Donte? Big Daddy? Why)

Donte and BD weren't DLC but still bad choices unless Donte is replated with OG Dante.

Well still, it would've made much much more sense if the original Dante was part of the roster because the original DmC started on Playstation.

I imagine graves will have to be dug up of old characters for the sequel.

Vib Ribbon and Spike from Ape Escape for example

Spike was already in it, he just had the look from MM isntead of the original series.

I won't be surprised if they added actual movie shit in it, and also Spider man.

Also, who found it weird that Sackboy had a Parappa costume in this game but not his series?

Might as well toss Ricky Bobby in at that point.

kek

I found the core mechanic of how fights were won and how it differentiated itself from Smash to be unique, at least. I'm not going to complain about the lack of core PS characters because that dead horse has been beaten into an unrecognizable pulp.

The biggest problem PSASBR had beside the aforementioned lack of recognizable characters was that it was launched with one of those shitty online multiplayer codes that forced you either to buy the game fresh or fork over $10 to unlock online multiplayer while Smash had been doing so for free in Brawl. Really pissed me off since I was renting the game for only a week to try it out and that was what ultimately kept me from buying the game as a whole.

I think one of the other major problems came from the core Super mechanic itself, and namely balancing the characters. All Super attacks are essentially One Hit KOs, but with progressively more range/duration based on how long you charged it up. I distinctly remember fighting high level AI Raiden being a real bitch because his Level 1 (weakest) Super attack hit both of his sides (and his top, if you accidentally landed on him during the animation) very quickly while almost every other character's Level 1 Super was only to one side or had some other aspect to it that made the attack more fair in context (longer windup, shorter range, longer recovery time, etc.). It's a problem that even Smash faces to some degree, but PSASBR's base mechanics made its balancing issues particularly apparent (since Super Attacks were the only way to KO opponents and score points in most matches, while Smash's base mechanic for KOs offers more than just one way to reach the same goal).

In all seriousness, I would love to play as Ricky Bobby. He can shoot invisible fire and takes no damage from knife attacks.

Spider-Man can come, too.

It's not. It was ripped off from Digimon: Battle Spirit. Only in that it's purely about collecting the stuff you knock out of characters, without using it to build up Super Moves.

Honestly, the game would have benefited from simply using a HP system and falling off the stage and shit.

Also, just drop all third party characters. If we don't get Crash and Spyro, then fuck it all and stick to Sony owned characters. Big Daddy? Come the fuck on. Wasn't he originally exclusive to Xbox? It doesn't matter if the Sony owned characters that they use are obscure. All that does is revitalize interest in Sony's properties. Fire Emblem wasn't even released in the west when two characters got into Smash Bros. That sparked enough interest that now it sells well here, despite the games being ruined. So Sony should have thrown in Jumping Flash or Vib Ribbon. Instead of Evil Cole, at least use a slightly less obvious copy character, like Lammy. I heard that through some weird set of acquisitions, Sony actually owns Q*Bert, so throw that fucker in. At least he's a legitimate classic.

There is hope user, however fleeting it may be. Their first character reveal being fairly boring and pandering galore seems like a rough start. But I'm willing to wait until the beta next summer before I make any real judgement.

There might have been some idea that they didn't want the cast to be full of characters that people starting gaming with a PS3 wouldn't recognize. I mean, say what you want about Nintendo, but they've been fairly willing to keep various franchises going, for better or worse, while throwing a bone to characters like R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch who hadn't exactly been current for a good while. Meanwhile, Sony seems to be fairly content to let their various franchises gather dust after a generation, maybe two generations if they're lucky. A few like Ratchet and Clank and Wild Arms managed to stick around surprisingly long (and Ratchet and Clank still goes on), but they've seemed to be in the minority. And then there's the one-and-done IPs that they've done nothing with sense their inception, barring maybe a PSN rerelease.

As for third party characters, the least they could have done was stick with characters from series or games only on Sony systems, rather than multiplats like Bioshock. Makes more sense to play as Yuri Volte Hyuga (who I think would fit perfectly, as he's a brawler in his own games, albeit with the perk of shapeshifting) as a third party character in a game meant to be Sony focused, than playing as a Big Daddy.

I think Sakurai has even stated that he like Smash being like a "museum of Nintendo's history (and others) allowing for present and past characters/franchise to appear in one game.

Though with some minor "future product placement" such as:

Melee: Roy (for Japan), while trophies for games already released in Japan were listed as "future release" in the west.
Brawl: Certain Snake stuff relating to MGS4.
WiiU/3DS: Yoshi's Wooley World stage,
WiiU/3DS DLC: Splatoon Mii fighter gear, Mario Maker stage, Corrin (at least for the west) and FE:F music.

There's probably more example I've missed, but compared to PASBR, which looked like it was going for "future product placement" from the start: Donte, Raiden, Columbia from BioShock: Infinite, DLC, etc.

Though I will admit, that because of game development lead time that there may be delays with what games/content could be regarded as future or present.

Japanese Todd Howard also stated that "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen." Ironically he still has Captain Falcon in the game. He's full of shit, and should be replaced with someone with experience in the fighting and action game genre like Harada or Itsuno. While I believe Samurai is a good director in general and a great fit for Nintendo, I do believe he's holding the series back in terms of gameplay and representation. It's time we got some new blood for the series.

So basically you're saying Sony doesn't know how to market characters and franchises. Which I suppose makes sense since they're a hardware developer first and foremost. They don't seem to see the value in brand recognition beyond the Sony and PlayStation brands.

Well they kinda don't, just look at their E3 presentation. Not a single Japanese game and 8 minutes for Call of Duty. Either they're fucking dense or they sabotaged that conference just to shut people up.

No shit

As far as I know, Sony's never even considered having a dedicated mascot for their systems, the way Nintendo's had Mario, Microsoft's had Master Chief, and Sega had Sanic. Spyro and Crash filled a bit of a pseudo role there for the PS1, but neither franchise was actually owned by Sony, and while Sony owns Jak, Ratchet, and Sly who would have fit as perhaps mascot for the PS2, they didn't seem to consider that either. Even now, they don't exactly have a true representative for their consoles. Hell, the old "PS" symbol comes more readily to mind than a particular character, whereas with other console companies, you have something of a face for it. Combine that with the old "PS3 has no gaems" thing, and it's no wonder people joked about Ricky Bobby being the mascot. I suppose these days maybe Kratos could fill the role (PS3 also had Sackboy, I guess), but again, they seem averse to having an actual character recognizably associated with their system, to the degree of being a mascot.

As for marketing, not so much what I was getting at. I'm just saying that they seem quick to kill off the franchises they themselves own, perhaps before the proper time. I mean, looking at this, how many are still active? How many lasted longer than a generation? How many are just stand-alone games, for better or worse?

And then there's the plethora of third party characters they could have added for games/series mainly on, if not ONLY on Sony systems. There's no need for them to have opted for Big Daddy when they had plenty of other things they could have picked from. Really comes off as more of caring about what's recognizable among current customers, even if not Sony specific, than a celebration of franchises Sony owns or has had specifically for their systems.

It seems like they didn't think of marketing to their own fanbase, and instead tried to make it as casual as possible. It's as if they don't think they have a hoard of rabid Sonyggers, some of whom who probably ignored the game due to lack of fanservice and more, bad, attempts at casualization.

The only good platform fighter we will ever see featuring a cast of Sony characters would be ones made by fans. Sony themselves are such turbokikes they are incapable.

I believe every word.

Except not really. Just because Halo sold a lot doesn't mean it was ever a mascot for the Xbox and Microsoft gaming brand.

Cortana is literally Microsoft's version of Siri.

NEVER EVER

So tell me anons, what is your dream roster for a sequel of this game?

Including third party characters and stages.

Crash
Cortex
N. Sanity Beach level with lots of Cortex's machinery around. Different characters show up as stage hazards. Coco comes by in an airplane and shoots at people. N.Gin shows up in a mech and fires some missiles, etc.

Spyro
Hunter
Dragon Shores level with enemies like gnorcs, thieves, etc as stage hazards.

Jak
Daxter
Haven City/Sandover Village level. Perhaps Sandover Village deteriorates over the course of the round into what it looks like in Jak II, then a time portal or whatever comes by and fixes it.

Ratchet
Clank
Qwark
Nefarious
Metropolis, Kerwan level. This was in the actual game and looked decent, but add more flying cars as hazards and shit. Fuck tourneyfags who like boring levels. And I know this is maybe too many characters for Ratchet, but the series has too many characters that would be fun to play as.

Sly
Bentley
Carmelita
The Sly level in the actual game was decent. I don't know what I'd add. But all the levels in the actual game could have been a bit bigger and more exciting.

Spike (with Jimmy and whatever their names are from Ape Escape 3 as alt skins)
Specter
Actually the Ape Escape level in the actual game was pretty good.

Sweet Tooth
I can't think of what other characters to add since this is a car combat game, but the level should have had many more cameos from the various contestants using their special attacks as stage hazards and shit.

Sackboy
LBP was pretty well represented in the actual game.

Parappa
Lammy
The Parappa Level was okay.

Robbit (that evil Robbit you fight in the first game better be an alt skin)
Yeah I know nobody remembers Jumping Flash! But it was Sony's aborted attempt at an actual mascot for the PS1 launch, and it's a great game. Give me a Crater Planet level with Muu Muus you can toss around, Baron Aloha doing drive bys in a spaceship or mech or as some kind of robot head, and Captain Kabuki showing up and just smashing the place.

Tomba
A fucking bunch of areas from the actual Tomba games could work as stages in a platform fighter. Pick one.

Kratos
I don't even like this series but obviously it deserves to be in there. Someone who likes it can say how to do it though.

Joel & Ellie
Idk, make them Ice Climbers or something. I don't like this game either but considering it came out relatively shortly after the actual game, and the actual game was full of promotional shit anyway, they should have been in there. Obviously Naughty Dog's next game was gonna be huge.

Drake
Sully
Sully is better than Drake anyway. Otherwise this series got pretty good representation in the actual game.

Cole
Deslin
InFamous 3 wasn't out yet, but fucking Evil Cole? Come on. Just give Cole both sets of powers. Maybe he can swap between them like Zelda/Sheik or something.

Iota/Atoi
I'm still mad Tearaway and Unfolded didn't sell well. Fucking best game in years. Their level could be manipulated by the players to bounce each other off platforms or lure stage hazards (scraps running around) toward them. This would have been a great fucking level.

Note that the only third party series I've mentioned so far are Crash and Spyro, and that's because you can't not mention those. My point is, they'd have been better off using multiple characters from the same series instead of doing such retarded third party choices. I'm sure there are plenty of other good first party choices like Legend of Dragoon and shit, but I'm not personally a fan. I just want my platforming characters to fight each other.

Oh and Q*Bert because I'm pretty sure they own that.

For characters

PS1:
Crash (this is a MUST)
Spike
Parappa
Lammy
Sweet Tooth
Sir Dan
Robbit
Cortex
Specter
Dart

PS2:
Jak (and Young Jak because why not)
Daxter
Baron Praxis or Erol
Ratchet
Clank
Capt. Qwark
Dr. Nefarious
Sly
Bentley
Murray
Carmelita Fox
Clockwerk (just to piss off Ridley fans)
Kratos
Zeus
Aries
Wander

PS3:
Sackboy
Drake
Chimera
Nariko
Cole (with both variations in a single character)
Toro and Kuro

PS4:
Knack
Bloodborne rep
Horizon MC

Vita:
Kat
Raven
Magusar or Librom
Similia
Freedom Wars rep

Oh I almost forgot,

Motherfucking Uberhero

Granted Monster Hunter is on Nintendo shit now but still

I stick by the idea that Ashley would work nicely. Maybe have Damzen City (old west style mining style town complete with a saloon) as a stage, or perhaps Valeria Chateau (big mansion the ARMS unit has as a headquarters; with the fact that it flies, it could make for an interesting "fight with Filgaia being toured in the background" style stage).

I didn't name any third party characters aside from Crash and Cortex. Not to mention Sony couldn't get MonHun back on the Vita (Frontier doesn't count), they would never get a rep into the game.

Yeah those were ones I could name off the top of my head at the time. But yeah, they have no shortage of first-party characters at their disposal.

I don't get it. Who IS Neptune?
inb4 >not exclusively playing obscure weeb shit

Fag.

the planets really aligned for me there, if only the game itself wasn't shit

So you're the faggot who actually wanted Dead Space in a PS crossover game.

Your new is showing, and i don't even play Hyperdimension Neptunia.

They should have made a third person arena game instead of a 2D brawler. Most of the characters Sony has to offer aren't 2D, where most of Nintendo's roster have a history in a 2D environment.

A third person arena game would allow use of climbing, cover and other combat mechanics this game was lacking.

What's so bad about Dead Space aside of the third game?

It's not a fucking PS game. It's always been multiplatform. Shit like this is what ruined the game. I bet you liked Big Daddy, too, faggot.

who would they even put in the sequel? disgaea?

All the characters that should have been in the first one but weren't.

crank brandlesnatch, glitch, yumi, tiny tank, spyro, kingdom hearts, fran, flat disgaea, the last raven, xenogears bubble loli, lightning

laugh out loud

oh heres a dilemma, mint or fancy mel?

not to be that guy but honestly i hate the idea of the third party characters that don't belong like isaac or bd but isaac is definitely a fun character.

To be playable? Mint, with a variety of magic. To fuck? Mel, because bunny ears.

When it comes to character interactions, how would you make them happen?

This is probably bullshit but I'll believe it anyway. I certainly know that the idea of this game wasn't bad, but Sony (for some reason) wasn't putting anywhere near as much care into it as they should have.

Don't forget (which you already did) the mobile spin off that had ads for fucking coca cola

I couldn't have forgotten because I didn't even know that existed.

Good

fucking this
you can say what you want about Sakurai attempting to ruin the competitive scene as best he can
but that fucker puts every single drop of autism he can into making smash bros and adding special touches to characters, stages and what not
you can't half-ass a mascot fighter

Metroid Fusion came out a yeah following Super Smash Bros Melee but you didn't see Fusion Suit Samus in there. There's a difference between using a game like Smash/PSABR to advertise and just being stupid.
Sony really underestimated Dante's iconography when they chose Donte over him.

CHARACTERS:
-Jen (Primal)
-Sir Daniel Fortesque (from the PS1 MediEvil, not the shitty cartoony PSP version PASBR had)
-Tomba (Tomba!)
-Kat (Gravity Rush)
-Kratos (God of War trilogy not the new one)
-Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
-Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
-Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
-Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
-Ratchet and Clank (Ratchet and Clank)
-Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
-Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
-Lil and Laarg or even Bakuki (Escape Plan)
-Parappa (Parappa the rapper)
-Rau Utu (The Mark of Kry/Rise of the Kasai)
-Q*Bert (Q*Bert)
-Iota/Atoi (Tearaway)
I'd say Crash Bandicoot, but if that means having that shitty Skylanders ripoff we saw at E3 then better not.
As for the stages:
-Locoroco (the one in PASBR was cool but ruined by the MGRising part)
-Echochrome
-Patapon
-WipeOut
-Tearaway
-God of War
-Freedom Wars
-Sly Cooper
-MediEvil
-Lemmings
-Soul sacrifice

Where's Spike?

Add him to the list alongside the patapon hero, Scree (not as a single character but helping Jen) Raven from Gravity Rush and Cole from inFamous.

Also Dollface from Twisted Metal would be pretty cool

And maybe Carmelita, Lammy and one or more of the other Ape Escape trilogy kids

There are fucking idiot managers everywhere. Supposedly there was someone on the localisation side (or a manager) for Melee who argued that Marth and Roy should have been left out of the US copies because "No-one knows who they are" - that's the kind of stupid that's at work here - they'd cut out characters because they think them being recognizable is a valid reason and they're lazy as shit.

Luckily, someone slapped some sense into the team and Fire Emblem goes on to make Nintendo trucks of money. I like to think that the stupid that came up with the above idea wasn't smothered to death on Sony's side and they just kept doing stupid things.

Must have been crushing for the dev's working on this - the game underneath was decent enough to be fun and there were enough nods in the game to give an indication that they were putting effort into it (the levels that covered multiple games was an especially nice touch) - but it just looks like they weren't supported enough and when it didn't hit an impossible sales target Sony cut the slither of support they were giving it.

Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff other characters from SSB64 are basically immune to being removed at this point. Even Sakurai poked fun at Captain Falcon's lack of new games on Miiverse when he was announced. If Falcon wasn't in who they clone Ganondorf off?

This is where it gets weird.

Mr G&W, had the G&W Gallery series on the original GB, and then G&W Gallery Advance (and cancelled G&W e-Reader cards). Didn't really "exist" as a character until Smash. Mostly cameos in WarioWare. DSiWare version of G&W games. Two exclusive Club Nintendo G&W DS collections.

ROB, just cameos in other Nintendo games, no real successor to Gyromite/Stack up.

Duck Hunt Dog, NO NEW GAME IN 30 YEARS, the ducks got more cameos than the dog thanks to WarioWare. The original game getting a VC release seemed like a small miracle thanks to his inclusion.

Makes me wonder why he didn't throw the fans a bone and make the Ice Climbers and assist trophy or part of a IC stage, if he couldn't put them in the 3DS version.

Bloody hell, decisions about character choices in Smash are weird.

This
The game was really lacking in almost every aspect, it needed a better and bigger roster (the base one was laughable) different game modes, unlockables, a decent story and arcade mode, this game felt more like a beta than a finished product, and they even had the nerve to sell it at full price.

No prince of all cosmos? Wow guess you are gays huh.

Yeah he's fun

The idea of rival characters was a good one, but the interaction is so shallow. It could have been fixed by the game simply having more of a story, but I guess they figured Smash Bros didn't have one, so they don't need one either. But most PS characters have much more personality and deeper stories than Nintendo characters.

It was most likely all the third party rights holders who made them use the characters they got. They most likely asked for Snake and got Raiden. They probably weren't even aware of New Dante. Though I don't know what the fuck they were thinking looking at Bioshock and Dead Space at all.

I fucked up. Should have included him and others like Sir Dan and Wild Arms and Legend of Dragoon. I forgot guys who were in the actual game. The point is, get rid of Big Daddy.

The things with the character interactions is that i always wonder about the possibility of friendships and characters interacting with more than just one.

Like Parappa being friends with Sackboy or Toro or Kat protecting Spike.

An actual story mode akin to modern MK games would have been cool. Ideally we could have gotten something like Subspace Emissary, but even Smash Bros 4 couldn't be bothered to do that.

I wondered that if they couldn't put it all in a game, they could take some alternative ways like a webshow or webcomic like TF2 has it, which could go in the direction of those Sonic/Mega Man comics.

The problem is how they could go to either add terrible humor and jokes or make it as serious and dramatic as possible like a fanfiction.

They even have the edgy usernames down right to the overuse of x's.

Smash already dominates with their list of iconic characters. It's too late for Sony at this point. Smash has Cloud, Mega Man, Pac Man, Sonic, Solid Snake, and even motherfucking Ryu. How can Sony hope to compete with that roster? Anyway, Smash generally plays better than the hot garbage Sony put out. I doubt it will ever get a sequel, but if it does, I don't think it will generate enough interest to sustain itself outside of a few zealot/fanboy circles.

Smash Bros 4 wasn't out when Super Sony Bros came out. And the point is that there are fans of PS games that want to see those cross over. You just mentioned all those third party characters, but it was third party characters that killed this game, because they distracted from being a proper PS crossover game.

What's your point? Smash has existed since 1998, and has had two solid iterations before PSASBR was a glint in Sony's eye.
Fair enough, but I still doubt this game will get a proper sequel. The first release was received quite poorly, both from a gameplay and character recognition standpoint, and as a result didn't sell too well. It's the numbers that count in the end, so that's why I doubt this game will get a sequel. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but unlikely.
The only reason third party characters were received so poorly in PSASBR is because they made up a large portion of the roster and were also the less popular characters who were meant to represent their respective franchises (Raiden when they could've gotten Snake or Big Boss; Donte, as many others in this thread have pointed out). Even if this game actually had a decent roster of characters, it still played like ass for whatever reason, whether it be poor development cycle, a lack of funding, or because Sony was afraid of blatantly ripping off Nintendo's gameplay style.

You listed a bunch of characters that are only in 4.

I think the game played fine, but deciding to use Supers as such a core mechanic was dumb. They should have kept it simple, instead of ripping off Digimon Battle Spirit.

Yes, those are the same people who use the Fire Emblem characters in smash bros.

Supers are exactly why the game plays like ass. Instead of focusing on beating your opponent with a series of well timed and executed attacks and being aware of terrain and scene transitions, you'll be playing keep away so that you can starve your opponent and prevent them from filling their meter. It changes the flow and pacing of a fight. Where Smash is fast, fluid and aggressive, PSASBR is more akin to a game of tag, which feels strange for a fighting game.

Well yeah, but neither Smash Bros nor Battle Royale are fighting games.

PSASBR isn't a fighting game nig

Oh boy. I'm not going to get into that argument. PSASBR might not be, but there are a shit ton of Smashfags who would disagree with you on that. That's besides the point, though. I just don't like how the flow of most PSASBR fights play out, and it's largely in thanks to the whole Super move thing.

If one of them isn't a fighting game I don't see how the other could be.

Like I said, I'm not going to comment on that, but here's a 30 minute video by some sperg who meticulously analyses Smash and uses his observations to support the argument that Smash is a fighting game.

I don't blame you if you don't want to watch it, but if you're hoping for some thoughts on the matter, you may as well watch if you have time

Reminds me of THE HALF-A PRESS'

Well if Smash Bros is a fighting game then Battle Royale is as well.

But they're not.

If 3rd party is being counted, then a character or two from Earth Defense Force could be added as a PS4 rep. The Fencer in particular has multiple melee weapons he could use.

There was only 5, though

There are six if you include the DLC characters, and there are twenty four characters total. That's 1/4th of the entire roster, compared with Nintendo's roster which, up until Smash 4, had only had two cameo characters at most, and even though Smash 4 has seven third party characters, there are still fifty one Nintendo mascots out of the fifty eight that make up the roster. That's around 0.12% or 3/25th. Very small number.

Battle Royale's roster just doesn't mesh as well as Smash's, even if you don't consider the number of third party combatants to be a problem. You've got wildly different ranges of characters who don't match up very well. Kratos, DmC Dante, Raiden and Heihachi are all dark, gritty, and "realistic" to some degree, but then on the other end of the spectrum you've got Parappa, Sir Dan, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sackboy, Spike, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess and Toro. These characters are all cartoon-esque, slap stick fantasy characters, much like Nintendo's line up, but they don't mix well with the likes of Kratos and the rest.

I know that this doesn't really matter in terms of gameplay, because every character will be able to face off against the rest just fine, but I'm talking about their synergy. At least Smash's characters, for the most part, tend to stick to a particular aesthetic and thematic style. They're all fantasy cartoon character types that aren't chained by the dark and gritty realism that creates such a schism for Sony's roster. When I say realism, I'm not trying to imply that Kratos' story and universe are grounded within reality. I'm talking about the characters' aesthetic style.

So there's Donte, Raiden, Heihachi, Big Daddy, Isaac and…

Also, for the characters with different themes, they could use an artist to give them an artstyle so they could fit with each other while style representing their series like in Marvel vs Capcom

Nariko is from Ninja Theory's Heavenly Sword, which is a multiplatform title, and as far as I know, Sony has not acquired Ninja Theory, so she's not a Sony owned character/IP.
Sure, that'd be great, but they didn't do that, and half the roster sticks out like a sore thumb. These characters just don't look like they belong together.

You probably think I'm some Nintendrone who can't stand the idea of Sony making a competitor to Smash, but I just think that this particular game was so lukewarm, and that even the most dedicating cock riding Soyngger will have felt disappointment as well.

Wait, no, it's not. But it's still true that Sony doesn't own the character/IP even though it's exclusive to PS3.

The game shouldn't even be an attempt to be a "Smash killer" at all, it could have been an adventure game or a minigame party game done as a love letter to PlayStation.

Yeah I agree with that. Instead, it feels more like product placement and cynical marketing. Who knows, maybe they'll make another one, and maybe it won't be so shitty.

I am pretty sure sony owns Heavenly Sword and its characters, i think i even heard Ninja Theory saying how sony holds the rights to it, and that they could even develop a sequel without them.

I heard two sequels were planned but never happened

That's the fun. Seeing Parapppa beat up Kratos is great.

The fighting mechanics seemed like they were made in a day.

That was kinda fun though