Catalog

Also, Devil Daggers general thread.

What do you think, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

stronghold.drdteam.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is there even to talk about?

Very well designed base game in dire need for expansion and more levels

Your last thread died with 1 reply, OP. Don't think I didn't notice.

I think that Spire's going to turn out pretty good if this guy puts more effort in that than what he did in this.

This has nothing to do with this game but i'm gonna watch "Devil" today.
It's probably shitty but i always wanted to check it out.

It's a bonus mode from a game that doesn't exist.
Kinda reminds me of Evolve or Overwatch in this regards.

Fucking lazy devs can't be assed to make full games now.

Pretty cool. I had fun for the couple hours that I spent playing it. It's worth praise if only for the fact that it replicates "retro" graphics in a way that doesn't feel lazy or disingenuous.

no discussion on this game is even possible

You run around an arena backwards shooting demonic cardboard cut outs…

Cool game, worth the 10 bucks. I have fun with it. Trying to reach 200+ seconds and it's awful. I also don't get why people are banging on it so hard. It's not trying to be anything more than a survival mode. I do agree that there should be more to it, and that at the moment it could use a price drop.

That his next game or something?

I think the guy's a member of Hitbox team which is making Spire, or he's just the dev of the engine which is used for Spire. I'm not honestly sure which.

its an arcade game at best. highscore, one hit kills you, you start over from the beginning when you die. graphics/art is pretty nice. i guess the dev did a good job at making a lost soul work in a fully 3D space, they avoid your shots and all that. unfortunately the dev was too lazy for attack animations, health system, level design, weapon design, and so on. what it looks like to me is a tech demo for testing his enemies, except he gave up and never made a full game and instead slapped on a highscore system and called it a day. i'm not exactly sure what the dev time was spent on other than that, apparently it runs on a custom engine? take trenchbroom and one of the free compatible engines and make your 3D FPS with that, don't waste time on making a game engine.

if it was meant to just be a "survival mode" then honestly its not worth 10 dollars. its more like what, 1 or two bucks? EYE has multiple levels, multiple weapons, and hordes of enemies and its costed as little as that when on sale. there are free games like Adventures of Square which have all of that as well. again, the dev seems to have wasted his time on a "custom built engine" (so he claims) instead of just getting free tools and a free engine. in reality most game devs, from the smallest to the largest, use game engines they did not develop. they don't waste their time on reinventing the wheel, and only make modifications to the engine if needed. Valve didn't even make their engines from scratch, GoldSrc was an idTech 2 engine fork, and Source was forked from GoldSrc. it's highly unlikely that he developed the engine from scratch anyway, but it seems like he wasted time on developing the engine instead of finding an engine with most or all the features he needed.

Great base for a larger project, but boring as shit after 10 minutes on it's own.

wew lad

Maybe you would have normal thread if you didnt shill this to high heavens when it came out

Honestly, it's a huge step up from the latest M Night Stylamon dreck.
Would watch again.

FUCK YOU

This
It really needs a game of its own, doom style.
It's wasted potential because the aesthetic is fucking HYPE especially when you get enough crystals that your hand start going epileptic.
But knowing it will always be the same copypasted waves makes it dull.

when do the new enemies start showing up anyone know? also did they alter ai? i have been dying consistently more often to skull mk 2 whereas they didnt use to be a concern at all

Generals are cancer and always have been. They are the death of this board. Why do you think they split from Holla Forums and were given their own containment board of /vg/?

its not 40 minutes long by any definition

It's like two minutes.

if you suck. 2 to 10 minutes

The first game I refunded on Steam.

I don't know about you but none of my favorite retro shooters were games where all you did was run around a square level firing a single projectile weapon. It felt more like a first person bullet hell in a Quake aesthetic and that's not what I wanted.

I seriously could have very easily modded the same gameplay into something like Quake or Quake 2. Just build a square box map and have enemies randomly teleport in and have the goal of the game be to just survive. The reason I wouldn't is because it's boring and gets old after 5 minutes. Like this game.

The sfx and style specifically are amazing imo, especially since they added support for proper 3D sound (i.e. you can feel the skulls and screams creeping right at the back of your neck.)
The gameplay certainly isn't for everyone. The enjoyment comes from figuring out what you did wrong last time and how you can improve, and the satisfaction of overcoming what previously seemed daunting. It's very easy to fall behind in killing things quickly enough and become overwhelmed, or die suddenly/unexpectely from a lapse of focus or slow reaction, making the game very intense throughout.

vid is current(?) WR since the latest update.

it satisfies my self-improvement autism and I've gotten more than 10 hours out of it, so I consider my 10$ fairly spent.

I really love the aesthetics of the game and would kill for something like Quake done with this kind of audio/visual quality, but there really isn't much to the game itself. Its pretty much just a tech demo that happens to be pretty fun in short bursts.

This needs to be a full on single player shooter with multiple weapons, more enemies, and of course levels that aren't just flat planes.

They wasted their talent on nothing but a fucking paid demo. I would kill to see tons of unique weapons on top of standard arena weapons as well as actual levels but as it stands it's not even worth the space on my PC. A complete shame because I love low-spec games with strong gameplay.

I wouldn't be surprised if Devil Daggers wasn't just a first game project the dev did.

If that is the case, then bravo because most do some shitty 2d retro platformer games. But I still don't think it's worth buying.

Honestly, the hardest thing in the game would be the enemy designs, everything else is shit a 12 year old could do in Unity in about a week from scratch. It could easily be worth $20 if he added some form of short campaign mode with some basic stylized weapons and levels. Fuck I'm so desperate for a Quake clone at this point I'm ready to just make one.

it's $5.

I do sound effects work and this guy is a fucking god, apparently he did the whole engine by himself too. It was more of a personal project to do on the side while he works with the rest of the team on Spires, and it does have very well designed gameplay despite the complete lack of content.

John Carmack made engines when he was a kid it's not out of the realm of possibility. Neither is good sound design. It's moreso that the game looks like it was just made by a single dude in probably a month and a half.

Want to cite some comparisons?

There's get gud and then there's "I'm a sadomasochist and love enduring random/bullshit/unavoidable deaths."

It's like really awful tasting cheap liquor that your chad friends call you a pussy for not partaking in, whist they barf their guts out and wake up with killer hangovers.

It's a proof of concept of a hypothetical video not even fit for Early Access yet masquerading as a completed product.

Thought the dude was also behind dustforce.

Yeah as far as Shamalayala movies it wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't watch it again and i have some problems on how unsubtle, loud and dumb the ending crescendo was, but i suppose that's the best one can expect from him at this point, it wasn't aggressively bad to the point of making me want to kill myself as some of his other movies so i'll take what i can get.

Ever watch a game jam? Those are contests were groups of developers try to create a game in 24 hours and show it off.

Devil Daggers plays like a gamejam game with a good aesthetic added later.

Yes and John Carmack is a fucking god. I have also worked on engine, and doing your own fraphics, audio, memory management, and event handling is a lot of effort and can get extremely complicated. You clearly have no idea how this process works and absolutely are not qualified to say that it isn't very impressive.

And dynamically generated 3D audio isn't something you see in the vast majority of big budget AAA games, then there's also the general artistic merit of the work here which is among the best in the medium. I'm not trying to say that the game is amazing, I don even think it's worth $5 unless you're really into audio, I'm just saying that it is incredibly impressive that one guy did the godlike audio, good art/animation, good gameplay, and of course the engine itself.

they arent random though, enemies spawn guaranteed times, spit out exact amounts of gems and enemies, exactly the same time. upgrades, exactly the same time and so on.

every complaint in this thread is clearly made by someone who hasnt played the game. it succeeds at its goal as a simple arcadelike survival game and all it could really use is more scenarios. you fags want quake? play fucking quake you memeing faggots. the servers are always empty and map sets are rarely downloaded gee i wonder why. this game isnt for you

*general agreement that the game is good despite lacking content, but still praising the dev and his ability to do good things*
If this is bait, you've done your job. If this is real, feel free to visit one of the many cesspools on the internet that praise everything a dev shits out. I sure hope you apply those beliefs to every game you come across that everyone agrees has a lack of content.

and your biggest meme:
I'm pretty sure even kotaku does a better job of cleaning it's ass.

I think it's fine given its replayability. I don't believe video-games need to be purely consumptive.

You can only play it for 10 minutes tops per round, then the spawns get so obscene you can't make anything out on your display. Most people won't make it two minutes to a round before giving up. It had alot of promise with the game-play and very unique art-style and mood. It would get more mileage as a serious sam/painkiller style shooter, given that there hasn't been a good painkiller sequel.

I'd agree with you if survival isn't the most overused game mode in vidya history. It's easy mode for devs with zero creativity. Keeping the player in the same level for ages without any proper design put into said level ironically enough KILLS any replayability for anyone with functioning long-term memory. I'll admit the proper gameplay design takes a good portion of the need for proper level design but that shit can only take you so far. I want to like the game, I really do, but "survival" game modes are just fucking annoying unless someone out there tries to do something actually new with it. And no, changing spawn points on a blank canvas level doesn't change shit in the eyes of the player.

my point is it isnt a quake clone and isnt supposed to be, it is the ONLY game is the arena survival genre and it should stay that way. therefore if you want quake, play fucking quake instead of trying to make everything else quake, which again i know for a fact you dont do.

it isnt a gamemode thats the fucking game, why are you posting in a survival game's thread you stupid faggot

it isnt supposed to be a good game either apparently, because it's trash and you have shit taste.

Which is the fucking issue, get the sand out of your vagina. A survival mode isn't a fucking game, especially when it's so barebones. The survival mode in this game should be a fucking extra, not the entirety of it. It takes the concept of this game and turns it into some shit you'd find on a smartphone app store.
Because I wanted to weigh-in and discuss it, stop being a triggered bitch that I came with negative criticism.

the aesthetic and gunplay says otherwise
What the fuck language is that? Are you trying to tell me that Devil Daggers is the ONLY arena survival game? Are you sure?
Saying "well UH if you want a better game then play a better one!!!!" isn't an argument. I enjoyed this game for the way it took quake and I wanted it to take that concept further. Seeing a low-poly dark FPS is cool and the parts where it separated itself from Quake is fucking something I've been dreaming of for a long time. If I wanted Quake, then yes I would play Quake, except I don't want this game to be Quake I want it to be it's own unique thing with a innovative take on the genre.
Oh you seem to know everything about me, you got all the facts my friend congratulations oh man spot on and with damning evidence too

I enjoyed this game for the way it drew inspiration from quake and I wanted it to take that original concept further.**

for clarity.

Is there a sprint button in this game?
I don't seem to be able to outrun the skulls

You're supposed to kill them before they reach you. So no, I don't think you can outrun them unless someone wants to enlighten me on a mechanic or exploit I haven't heard of yet.

They're different kinds of games. Expanding upon it wouldn't necessarily make it more like Quake. It's like arguing that Quake 3 is a bad game because of its singleplayer.

you can bunny-hop to go faster

The game says that you can perform a double jump by shooting down and that DOES make you outrun them.
But nobody does it cause the timing is too tight and it makes you vulnerable mid air.

You can "rocket jump", kinda sorta.

But it doesn't really help.

to be fair, the soundtrack for Quake was done by Trent Reznor and it was very atmospheric.

theres invasion mode for Zandronum and Stronghold, a Doom mod stronghold.drdteam.org/

Devil Daggers obviously takes inspiration from FPSes like Doom and Quake and not just survival games, thats why its being compared to that. theres the spawner enemies, the obvious lost soul clones, the Quake aesthetic, the bunny hopping, the centered weapon, and the shotgun jump in lieu of a rocket jump.

I just want to change the channel already.

What's the deal with this game? It's boring as hell after more than 2 minutes. Yeah the pixel art actually looks nice I guess.

But what else is there? Am I missing something or is this some sort of ironic anti-memery game?

2 weapons

Then where's your engine, nodev?

1 weapon, but 2 fire modes

Niggers in this thread can't appreciate simple but solid game design.

Nah mate. I bought it when it first came out, really enjoyed it for a bit. But there really isn't anything to talk about, it's a very small game

It's a throwaway bonus minigame that developers in the 90s/early 00s would throw in at the last minute just for the fuck of it, but it's being sold for $5. What kind of slack jawed idiot would actually pay for this shit?

Has hitbox even put out a single gameplay video for Spire?

All I see are admittedly nice low poly models but where's the fucking gameplay?

newfag outed himself lol

They're doing horizontal development so it's just stuff like embed related

Games are traditionally made vertically which means the devs focus on creating a slice of what the game will hopefully normally play like (these are what E3 demos are) and the point is that the rest of the game will be based around that vertical slice. However pretty much all of the art/programming work that goes into the vertical slice gets scrapped and replaced as they develop the whole game. An example of a vertical slice would be a game that is open world and procedurally generated, but the vertical slice is a small area that was handmade in a different engine than the rest of the project.

Horizontal development makes much more sense from a programming standpoint but it's controversial to do it in games because you might spend a lot of work to make a game that turns out to be shit, but if you made a vertical slice you can tell if the game will be fun or not. I'm sure they made a prototype of some form though, but that it was a much smaller focus than it normally would be.

I think it's more similar to bullet hells than it is to DOOM or Quake (though DOOM is definitely inspired by them too)

enjoy it never becoming a good game then, i know i am

so your issue is that you dislike the entire game and expect them to change everything about it. again why the fuck are you here? i know for a fact you dont play quake because a quake player wouldnt care for yet another quake clone to further split the fanbase of 8

there are three, including homing daggers. you would know thing if you played the game

meant to quote

this doesnt make sense when top players on the leaderboard have hundreds of hours in the game. it is literally not made for you if you think that

I was thinking daggers and homing daggers!
shotgun is just a firemode :^)

oh, and new WR

homing daggers are also a firemode by your stupid definition, which is exactly what i said, three firemodes

oh, thought you were quoting in

even if i did how is there more than one weapon? you only pickup one weapon at the start of every game before it even begins

In this context, the distinction is arbitrary. It'd work more-or-less the same if you just had 3 different weapons with instant switching between them.

this user is the voice of reason in a sea of autism

so is it two weapons or three? because before you said it had only two weapons :^)

stupid phoneposter

I post on my phone somewhat often but that and this are on my computer, what gave you the impression that I posted it on my phone?

And who gives a shit about whether it's 3 weapons or 3 firemodes, the end result is exactly the same.

Pretty sure this had wallrunning and enemies and weapons working, I saw those on a webm. I just can't find them anywhere again

I'm pretty sure I saw a webm of wallrunning, a weapon and a large monster but I just can't find them anymore.

TWO DIGITS.

I refunded it months ago because despite looking like ass it doesn't run well at all on my laptop

They definitely have one or more weapons, I watched the devstream a bit and they have weapons and enemies. I don't think I've seen the player kill enemies yet but I didn't watch for very long anyways.

I am a rocket scientist and value information integrity. A single human error could destroy entire systmes and risk the lives of thousands. In my spare time I maintain my brain through arguments with this group of idiots whom are commonly wrong, and you are especially entertaining, labrat. I can pick apart every bit of data streaming through my monitor to prove I am right and always am, but I can also admit when I am wrong as per requirement in this field. Know who you are messing with, leave before I further embarrass you because I wont stop.

Is this copypasta? I just googled it and got no relevant results, if it's not copypasta then it is now because this shit is gold.