Did Dr. Wily help build Mega Man? I mean, he helped with the other eight robot masters

Did Dr. Wily help build Mega Man? I mean, he helped with the other eight robot masters.

Other urls found in this thread:

mmhp.net/About.html
en.sonicscanf.org/comics/mega-man/
cytu.be/r/ubermensch
megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Albert_W._Wily
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=legopack-v2a.pk3
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=amp-mp-v1.6-h.pk3
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=sharpv3b-h.pk3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

R. Wily is a cuck

Wily stole the robots and gave them viruses
He might have collaborated with Light

In MMBN, he focused on robotics while Light did Networking

I thought Battle Network's timeline branch it was Light who got funding, but thinking about it again that makes no sense.

there were only six rob masts faget

mmhp.net/About.html

s/o's to this amazing autist tbh family

In Powered Up there were eight. Oil Man and Time Man.

Rock, Roll, and Blues were Light's personal vanity project(blah, blah "Children I never had")

But he was instrumental in suiting up Protoman

Clearly you are the ninth robot master, Salt Man.

I duno W-mega man, but we've got to stop docto wahwee

Nothing really states or hints that he did. In the first game he just hijacked the six robot masters in all the others he built his own. He did canonically build Zero to counter Dr Lights plans for X however and that was the one time he succeeded in creating something superior. Because Inafundme wanted his own megaman special snowflake to be the coolest and best.

No he didn't. Stop reading old American materials or licensed comics and thinking it applies to the games.

Mega Man has some confusing lore. A lot of what was presented in the instruction booklets for the North American market completely contradicts the material in Japan.

According to part 1's localized booklet: Wily and Light (or Right) were partners and there's a city called "Monsteropolis" but those details are not in the original source material.

In Part 2: Clash Man is called "Crash Man". This was corrected in the game boy release but the damage had already been done so everyone calls him Crash Man anyway.

In Part 3: The robot bosses were foremen who came from other planets to oversee the extraction of natural resources on those worlds.

So, yeah, like I said: confusing.

I prefer to have lore related to me by show rather then tell like in this picture. Those magnetic turbines have a logo on them that tells you what you need to know about the backstory: the evil scientist appears to have reformed and is working with the good one on various industrial and scientific projects. So, the mastermind behind the robot terrorist attacks might not be the bad guy from the last two games at all except, of course it is.

why doesn't megaman just shutdown the robots and reprogram them, instead of destroying them every time?

Megabuster doesn't destroy robot masters, it disables them. It's a non-lethal weapon for robots.

at least according to the modern canon

What kind of asshole builds robots, gives them human emotions, and then treats them as tools?

I understood that Wily pretty much sucked at robotics compared to Light, so he kept hijacking other people's creations.

Though I guess he managed to git gud enough to build Zero.

Didn't Wily have something to do with Gutsman? A lot of his robots and mechas seem to have had some resemblance to the big lug.

But what about all the times he doesn't use the buster?

That actually would explain how you could kill the sub-bosses like Bit, Byte and Vile in Megaman X3 with the weapon that's a weakness to them instead of the X-Buster if we assume the X Buster is similar to the Mega Buster.

Megaman was an asshole.

Wily is less of of a pioneer of robotics, rather takes or bases off others' works (namely Light) with the possibility of doing better by standing on the shoulders of giants.

The reploids were never self aware to begin with. It was the sigma virus that caused maverick behavior.
X was developed by light as a self aware robot able to make his own decisions. Zero was developed by wily and was insane, he was infected by sigma and gained self awareness.

Through their attacking of mavericks, X and Zero were unknowingly spreading the sigma virus and causing more mavericks to appear.

Fix'd. Dr. Light is a fucking asshole.

The BN timeline occurs when the government funds IT instead of robotics. Light and Wily go into AI instead of machines.

Is correct. "Robot Master" means it's the central control unit for a cloud of industrial machines that we see as the mook enemies of the games. In addition to their powers, the Robot Masters are also logistics platforms to coordinate automated workforces.

Rock was a pet project whose only practical value was being designed as a lab assistant and personal forklift. (He can lift 400 tons.) His only special ability was to turn himself off when he wasn't needed anymore. This was confirmed in an interview with the pre-Inafune creator of Megaman. I don't think his ability to integrate other robots' weapons was even part of his design. Light makes upgrades out of the salvaged parts/data when you bring it back. It wasn't an integrated feature until X, whose Titanium X (a nanomachine and energy-matter conversion hybrid) body allows for on-the-fly reconfiguration. Which is why you receive armor upgrades as bolts of lightning (data) instead of cracking open a case and finding something you physically don.

In the comics light tells megaman, to his face, that he has no free will. All with a smile on his face.

Also where the fuck did OP from the 8bdm thread go?

Read the interviews in the back of Rockman Zero Perfect Memories. Just about everything you said is wrong.

Zero is the origin of the virus. He was never completed, which is why he was insane. Zero infected Sigma, not the other way around. The virus is a free-floating energy-mass conversion routine that Wily suspended his consciousness in to work on Zero after his death. Zero was activated before he could finish him, resulting in what we saw in X4. What we call the Maverick Virus is an accidental offshoot of the original 'virus' Wily made, resulting from mixing Sigma's faulty copy of X's empathy hardware.

Suffering Circuit = Analysis paralysis, paranoia, distrust
Zero's broken AI = Insane hostility
Sigma's world-class strategic processing suite = The will and ability to plan towards purpose.

Mix them all up in a blender and you have a virus that draws its victims into a frothing anti-establishment cult whose only real goal is to "make things better" by tearing everything that already exists down.

On the upside, interfacing with Sigma worked as a hacked patch for Zero's AI, letting him funnel all that hostility into becoming a superweapon against evil.

X is the greatest variable. 0 is a tenuous place between existing and not (dying and returning). Σ is the Sum.

The spreading of the virus turned out to be from Zero himself. It was him traveling, not fighting, that spread it. He was leaving a crumb trail of "oh shit" everywhere he went. That's why he put himself in stasis between the X and Zero series, to have the part producing it excised. That part would eventually be converted into a world-altering machine called Mother Elf, and eventually Dark Elf.

An Orange virus.

This made me giggle.

Nah. Just #BlackLivesMatter.

To what I remember Wily helped build Rock, Roll, and the six (or eight) other robots, then went apeshit and stole everybody but Rock and Roll because they weren't useful as tools of warfare. Rock got converted to Mega Man by Light as a hail mary and he's stayed that way pretty much since, upgrades and tweaks aside.

Robot Masters have personalities but aren't humanly intelligent by most standards, most can even express some degree of philosophical thought but don't have free will or the capacity for it. The only Robot Masters we know that truly disobeyed their creators of their own volition are Proto Man and Bass, and maybe King but he was still a decently Wily-loyal creation in the end.

Wasn't the deal that Rock could mimic tools and simple machines using a Variable Tool System which was then remodeled/repurposed as his Variable Weapons System when becoming Mega Man? So he could be a better helper robot or some shit by always having a screwdriver on hand.

That sounds familiar but I don't recall exactly and can't think of a source for it.

Blues/Protoman was a flawed prototype, one that didn't have a long-enough lasting energy source. Wily was able to rig up a reactor for Protoman in exchange for working for him as Break Man. Sniper Joes are mass-produced "lesser" robots based on the prototype with the fixed power issue. The ones you fight in the game are those modified for war by Wily.

Rock/Mega Man is the improvement, more durable, but also built to be adaptable. Every other Robot Master is based off him with some specialty, including Roll's home ec skills (cleaning like nobody's business). Mega Man, once modified as a warrior of justice, plays up his ability to learn and adapt, but as a jack of all trades, he can't do as well as Robot Masters can with their weapon proficiency, nor does he retain the knowledge as he's meant to test features rather than perfect them.

Quick google shows that more than a few places cite a Variable Tool/Weapon System (including Wikipedia and the Mega Man Knowledge Base) but no idea on if any of them are even accurate.

I don't remember that. I thought their AI allowed them to make free decisions as long as it didn't override their primary function.

They're capable of problem solving, but not self-defining. They can't grow as "people". They will be the same person after a thousand years of operation as they were the day they were booted up, no matter what happens to them.

Actually when the original robot masters are under Wily's control. after some prodding from megaman he gets a few of them to actively resist their new functions.

Of course Wily's first attempt at reprogramming probably wasn't that great.

So either Wily's programming skills are shitty or these robots do have some limited level of real thought but they just can't mature or change mentally like a true living being?

Wait so you're telling me Mega Man doesn't have a personality or free will? I'm pretty casual with the franchise and only beat a couple of them over the years. I thought a big part of X's story was that the guys in that game were robots with free will and shit, but I basically figured whoever wrote that fucked up, because the idea of Mega Man not having free will just seems weird.

This comic actually looks pretty good, but I'm worried I'll catch autism if I start reading it.

en.sonicscanf.org/comics/mega-man/
I enjoyed it, no reason you can't.

Megaman X happened because light finally made a robot with free will. A fucking idiot then found X in a box, and despite Light leaving a messege that an extensive, multi year test program was needed to make sure the robot would be morally and ethically sound the fuck launched into immediate mass production of knock-off bootleg copies.

Of course these inferior and untested models had vulnerabilities and led to the games you know and love.

The guy who writes it got his job at Archie because his Sonic fanfiction was so much better than the actual Sonic comics (not saying much, they were among the worst comics ever made), that when the President of Sega saw how bad the comics were and fired everybody involved, they hired his turbo autist instead. And the comics have been great since. Except he's too autistic to stop referencing the mountain of shit made by the guys that came before him.

The Mega Man comic was written by him the entire time, meaning it's awesome. He admits he wasn't a huge fan of Mega Man before, but when he got the job he sat down and beat all the games so he could do a proper job.

So Mega Man, Roll, etc., just plain have no free will in all those games that take place before X?

I think it was stated that Light was the better AI programmer, while Wily was the better roboticist. Hence Zero being stronger than X, but also insane.

He has a personality, but it was decided for him and he'll never be able to change it. In Megaman 7, Mega has Wily at gunpoint and realizes it makes more sense to kill Wily then and there. But Wily invokes the 3 laws, one of which being that a robot cannot harm a human, and in doing so gets Megaman to basically BSOD. The American version went edgy with it and had him stopped for other reasons, but it was an important event that probably informed Light's decision on making X, a robot capable of choosing to take human life. That ability, or lack of constraint, is why X was sealed away for decades for rigorous testing of his morality systems.

It was made by someone who obviously knew a shit-ton about the series. There are cameo characters that appear literally only in side games like the MM Classic racing game.

Light's kind of a dick isn't he?

Shame archie killed megaman, permanently. Bunch of faggots.

Technically protoman had true free will, being the prototype for light's dream that surpassed all expectations.

Also canonized waifubait Tempo and Vesper woman(formerly the unused honey woman).

So, where did the old sonic comics end and the "good" ones begin? Is this the Ken Penders lawsuit thing?

"Hiatus". Never know, might be a chance.

Protoman's free will was an accident, and possibly where Light and Wily each got the knowledge to make X and Zero sapient. They both got to work on Protoman in a lab at late points in the series.

I forget exactly what issue Flynn took over but you can start there. However, so much of his run is just cleaning up the mess he inherited that even the more apologetic fans tend to say his first year or so isn't as good, since it was very much him just trying to sweep away the worst things he was left with. Even after that year, the process keeps going and the comic got better and better.

However, with Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide, they were smart enough to just count the games as canon and ignore the retarded shit the comics had yet to jettison. This helps it be probably the best Sonic comic. It's also an actual good crossover of Sonic and Mega Man, so if you're in this thread, it's definitely worth reading. I'd say it's the best part of both comics.

After the crossover, they used it as a story excuse to do a semi-reboot of the Sonic comics (think Crisis if you know anything about the DCU), and starting with issue 252 (the first one after the crossover) the universe has been rewritten or whatever so that the most retarded parts of the old shit aren't canon anymore. Now it's basically the games are canon, and SatAM is canon, but it took place in the games' universe. Due to no longer constantly referencing Penders' shit, it's way better. Instead of Flynn trying desperately to salvage it, they finally just threw it out, and it stopped stinking up the comic.

And yes, the actual reason they did the reboot is because of the lawsuit. Archie's gigantic fuckups at least solved themselves, in a way.

Both Protoman and Quakewoman have shown character development.

That's funny because Dr. Light thinks humans are just super advanced biological machines.

I liked Shard and Captain Metal, though. They were neat.

I have them all downloaded, would it really be neccecary to start from issue 1? As in, black and white, early 90s issue 1? I read them as a kid, but I remember them being the bad kind of stupid.

Protoman is special. He ended up sapient by accident, relating to his malfunction.

No idea who Quakewoman is. I'm talking about the mainline canon, not the comic.

play Mega Man Powered Up on PSP
when you beat a robot master with just your mega buster, Dr Light can fix them up and they become available as player characters

be mad all you like about their inclusion, but Oil Man and Time Man were actually planned for MM1 on the NES and cut out for development time (Capcom wanting to reclaim some of their investment in the project from having failed to acquire the Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy license).

That actually makes broader sense in the canon, because the robots from MM2 were designs Wily figured out from having followed Light's lead on their collaborative project that were the RMs from MM1. Flash Man would have been directly based on Time Man.

It all depends on how autistic you are. The first year or so are mostly gag issues with only a little in the way of continuity at all. Then Penders comes in and the first thing he does is rip off Earth-Three and do the evil Freedom Fighters, but really the whole issue is an excuse for Beatles jokes (not kidding. Read it if you want. Obviously kids in the early '90s picked up a Sonic comic for jokes about a band that had been broken up for over 20 years). He starts piling on more lore, but he can't keep it straight. In issue 19 (I think) he introduces Robo-Robotnik, from a universe where he had beaten Sonic and turned himself into a robot. Two issues later, he uses Robo-Robotnik again (he had killed Robotnik, and apparently when the editor actually realized that this idiot had killed the only other character in the comic who is actually from their licensor, he made him bring him back, and he used Robo-Robotnik's tech as a quick excuse). However, Penders was too lazy to read the backstory he had given for Robo-Robotnik, so he just gave him a new one. This results in fans saying there are two Robo-Robotniks. But really he just fucked up. Oh, and Robo-Robotnik later became Eggman. Penders succeeded in killing off Robotnik for real for a few years. He then got more time to just do his fanfiction which had even less to do with Sonic. But eventually Robo-Robotnik got bored of his Sonic-less world and came to the main comics universe, where he put himself in a new body (that looked like the Sonic Adventure design), then aliens turned that body organic, but it gave him mental problems and he started calling himself Eggman. Therefore, Eggman and Robotnik are different guys.

Flynn did his best to never reference that, and shortly before Worlds Collide, they did Sonic: Genesis, which was basically a mini-crisis that pretty much just made it so Eggman was there all along. Then after Worlds Collide it's definitely not canon.

Don't listen to apologists who try to say the first 50 issues are okay. It's mediocre cash grab stuff at first, and it nosedives fast after. Either start with Flynn's first issue, skip ahead like a year or so, or just skip to Worlds Collide. I highly recommend just skipping to Worlds Collide. It requires nothing to understand since just the games are canon, and the stuff that follows it is way better than what came before. But if you're a sucker for punishment, go ahead and try to read the old shit.

For the record, I started at Sonic: Genesis. A four issue arc that does Sonic 1 and 2 in this world. It was supposed to be a jumping on point, but it's mediocre, and the stuff after it pretty much just ignores it anyway. It would be easier to start here than at some other random point in Flynn's pre-crossover run, but you might as well just start at the crossover.

issue 1 was still in color
early Sonic comics were trying to incorporate the tone of AoStH with the characters and plot of SatAM. This stopped around 15-20 issues in

I recommend reading the early ones if only because forcing yourself to only like serious writing diminishes your overall sense of humor. The tone will shift so enjoy the light-hearted comedy while it lasts

Neat. No Metal Sonics though? I've always like them.

I heard there were like, 4 sub series now. I might be thinking of a different one, but it had Sonic delivering chili dogs for his uncle, and Eggman was adopted by Uncle Chuck and there were a lot of shenangians. No colour, so i'm not sure where it would be placed.

that and the artist is a fucking huge mega man fan and kept him on track (for instance, Guts Man singing karaoke at the end of the first story. Direct reference to his file in Rock Man & Forte/Mega Man & Bass)

In the comics, Metal Sonic wasn't an actual character. Robotnik just built a bunch of Metal Sonics whenever. It significantly took away from his appeal when he was literally just a weapon. Shard was okay, but his best appearance was Sonic Universe 50, the last one before the crossover, where they tried to do a special Metal Sonic issue to merge all the Metal Sonics and make one actual character. Kind of moot after the crossover, but was still neat if you prefer an actual explanation for the old Metal Sonic stuff changing. It's an okay origin for an actual Metal Sonic.

There are three Sonic comics now. There's the main one, and Sonic Universe, and Sonic Boom, but Sonic Boom is a different universe anyway. Sonic Universe replaced the Sonic X comic (which crossed over once), and Sonic X replaced the Knuckles comic (which was pretty much all Ken Penders' fanfiction that he never intended to have anything to do with Sonic). Then before that there was a Tails miniseries and a Princess Sally miniseries.

Oh fuck, you know what you people reminded me of the fuck ups that happened with licensed comics. There was a licensed brazilian comic of mega man that had nude roll and a sonic comic that explained the birds and the bees that got sonic comics banned from all walmarts nation wide.

Guess i'll take a look at what I have and see where it starts to look like a decent place to start. I'll keep your advice in mind, thanks.

Guts love the Enka

MAVERICK OUTBREAK UNDERWAY
MULTIPLE HUNTERS DOWN

cytu.be/r/ubermensch

Sage for unrelated.

You can't just say things like that and not post them. Especially the first one.

The Brazilian comic was messed up as hell. Artists would change each issue, some just fans coming in to work on it. Each chapter was made on the fly and would get delayed. Just think shitty anime deviantart Mega Man the comic.

It's not great, but this is officially licensed nude roll.

Are those some sort of lightbulb nipples? I don't see what you guys are complaining about. This is brilliant.

Metal pasties

Who's the purple guy in the second image?

Also, power armor Wily YES.

Wily did not help build the robot masters in Mega Man 1, he did however, help build the robot masters in Mega Man 3.

>Source: megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Albert_W._Wily

That's a good crestion.

Think that's suppose to be X. Also I can't find the source of the sonic being banned from walmart. I remember part of it was someone explaining to knuckles about his family tree and then some parent complains and they stopped caring the comic in stores.

No hiatus, archie cancelled their agreement with capcom with their permission.

Mega Man has a personality but not true free will or a capacity for critical thought on the sheer level of a human being. Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U is actually better at remembering that Robot Masters don't have the human-level intellect, reasoning and emotional capability Reploids do since Mega Man is visibly near-emotionless (befitting a first-gen RM) and extremely stiff and robotic in most of his movements.

Basically Reploids are true people in every sense of the term while Robot Masters, what you see is what you get with them and there's no changing their personality without changing their core programming.

Aw.

Wait really? can you source that?

Funny thing is, two of the main artists from these Megaman comics became famous worldwide. Daniel HDR and Eduardo Francisco. Now they work for the big guys, like DC and Marvel.
Which means they only produce trash nowadays, but are still competent nonetheless.

Some other covers

These are amazing.

Rock was built with the multi=-tool system from the get-go

also IIRC Blues was built, ran away and Right thought Blues left because he was lonely so he built DRN-001 and DRN-002 as Brother-Sister units to prevent this

Also every bit of canon is consistent on Blue's reactor being originally a faulty solar reactor being replaced by Wily with a nuclear one that is unstable as well and will eventually kill him (Blues).

Gigamix has to be the worst for Blues since he died in space fighting the Starroids

Accurate/10

I forget where I read it, but I believe I saw somewhere that Bass is capable of disobeying Wily because his first directive is to destroy Mega Man, and not anything else, like the three laws. Therefore, if disobeying Wily will lead to a greater likelihood of defeating Mega Man, he'll probably do it. This is also Bass's fatal flaw. Proto Man accidentally touches on this in the Proto/Bass co-op ending of The Power Fighters

Specifically, he gives a vague, shounen-esque statement about how he'll never defeat Mega Man because he only wants to defeat him, whereas Mega Man fights for everyone. This actually logically follows, because if his first directive is to defeat Mega Man at an unspecified time, it means that Bass can't fight Mega Man in any circumstance where there's a greater chance of him dying at that moment, than being able to succeed on another day. Unlike Mega Man, Bass's program requires him to always retreat in the face of adversity, rather than fight to the death. Mega Man is deployed only in situations which are already life-and-death, and will always continue to fight so long as human lives are at stake, even if it means to his own death.

The Battle Network alternate timeline seems to instead point to Wily being better at robotics, but Light better at programming/AI. Which considering how Wily keeps making cool-ass shit that turns on him, makes sense.

Never read into protoman's statement further than 'cheesy power of friendship bullshit'.

Looks like I was mistaken, only articles I can find say hiatus.

>But I did make you aware enough to mourn its absence

Wow, I never realized that failure to specify when a goal needs to be fulfilled could be such an AI mistake. But it totally makes sense– with no particular time requirement, it would make sense to always play it safe. ALWAYS. Thus, short of overwhelming strength, the more reckless robot with more pressing goals would always win. So yeah, unless Mega Man screwed up or got caught badly damaged or something, Bass never could win.

Expanding on your analysis
Bass only has to defeat megaman, not kill him. Amy situation in which he can prove himself the better will suffice, which is why he is willing to fight against wily's forces in power battles and megaman&bass; he is proving himself to be the strongest of all
In his solo ending in power battles he chastises the doctor for his shitty robots, saying that his creation must have been a fluke
Wily then reveals the secret of his reactor which is implied to have received an upgrade and used in zero
zero probably doesn't even count as a reploid. Bass stole the designs for X's chassis but not his Ai schematics. He could be considered a robot master model instead

Technically, X isn't a reploid either. I thought the Reploid label was assigned to the robots copied from X. That would make him and Zero something else, as they were made before the term existed.

Technically X and Zero are highly advanced Robot masters, they consider themselves repliroids though

X and Zero are technically Robot Masters so advanced they shit all over even the next-generation copybots that X8 masturbates to (and still do by technicality in MMZ, ZX and beyond), Reploids are robots descended from X's AI design (and for humanoid reploids his general physiology) which X and Zero refer to themselves as for the sake of convenience, Zero especially because he's clueless as to where he came from.

There're a couple reploids that stem from Zero's design rather than X's but they're clones of Zero, that black-armor clone from X2 and Zero's copy body used in the Zero series. I don't recall if High Max was explicitly based off of Zero's design or not and there's Gate's battle-body made using Zero as a base.

I know X has that infinite-learning thing going on, which is why he was only a Class B Hunter at first, but did Zero have a self-improvement system, or was he just so jacked out from the get go that he was never surpassed?

I think he was just pretty jacked out from the get go. I could go ahead and say Wily really went all out on Zero but the real reason is Zero is Inafune's waifu

fuck you for reminding me that they just canceled the Archie comics.

Zero may or may not have his own self-improvement systems (he certainly has a literal learning system for copying enemy techniques and probably a copy system like X's that we've never seen because he never uses his buster) but he's colossally powerful from the word "go", some flowery bit about how X is a variable representing infinite potential while Zero (0) is an absolute and finality.

I had no idea there was this much lore behind the Mega Man games.

There's a reason people are pissed at Inafune and Capcom for their treatments of the series as of late.

At this rate I'd almost rather have the franchise go up for auction and have an actually interested third party take it over. Someone that would give it games again.

So here's the question, what's the DEEP LORE behind Axl?
Or is X7 and X8 just not enough for DEEP LORE

Play Command Mission, bro. It opens the door for so much LORE that Capcom will never touch. Good game though, it has a top tier soundtrack.

What kind of man builds a machine to kill a girl?

Is that X with a laser scarf? That's pretty cool.

But I'm not a fan of turn based rpgs, especially on consoles

Giving focus to Zero at all was a mistake.
Axl was a mistake.
Everything GBA-Forward was a mistake.
Sometimes more of the same is better than worse than nothing.

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only lifelong Mega Man fan, who actively enjoys and listens to video game music first and foremost no less, who never really felt all that strongly about the music in Mega Man games. I don't dislike it at all, but there was almost never anything in any of the games that was "I want to go to the effort of listening to his outside the games too" tier.

Hey, the Battle Network games were pretty cool! Except for 4 anyways.

I enjoyed them but they were kind of a spin-off

Axl really opened up for some decent possibilities in X8 but it was way too late. It was kind of salvageable in MN9 and the whole subweapons being a different weapon and model alltogether was the one thing I actually liked about MN9 but like I said it's way too late
I think because they've made him X-lite in X7 that no one actually liked him.

Honestly there's a lot of Megaman music I like that I wish was remastered or remixed so I can listen to. Embed and X5's boss theme are the only two I'm actually comfortable listening to outside of playing the games.

I really wish I could find a good Sky Lagoon remix.

I can never understand Zero fans. Here's a game series where the iconic protagonist runs around shoots things and absorbs their abilities, so naturally they want to play with the Donut Steel oc going around hitting things with a sword.

All leftism is like that. Not just nigger lives matter.

The scarf turned on whenever he ran, it was pretty neat. You could unlock different colours too.

It's also placed the furthest in the X timeline, so it's the closest we have to the jumping off point into Zero until Capcom stop being awful. at least they still make decent MH games

The Zero games were rad though. and ZX and Advent are pretty cool too.

MightyN° 9 was the greatest blunder of the series.

I felt like it was a nice twist on the formula. You could still shoot and stuff, but the combat was more balanced around swift Hit and Run tactics with the saber.

Sadly I sucked ass at the actual games and so I got way more into the Battle Network series which was coming out at about the same time.

I started on the BN series and that's what got me into the actual games. I'm honestly glad that's how I was exposed since I can look at the series without nostalgia. I prefer the slower pacing of the classic series to X, the dashes and wall jumping just totally ruin the flow of the game personally.

Never heard of monkey paws or dick genies I assume? Same principle. All tales are made to teach you a lesson and "be careful what you wish for" is also a lesson in "be fucking precise, idiot, or you get shafted".

Mega Man has a fantastic amount of supplementary material that goes into material the games themselves never touch or touch but only briefly, ie Robot Masters not really being able to learn and being bound by the 3 Laws of Robotics set by Isaac Asimov, which to my memory only Mega Man 7 brought up when Megs was about to off Wily. There's also Reploids still not really being quite there for being out-of-the-box people and coming with pre-fab personalities until they develop on their own that supplementary material and the Archie comics touch, along with that the more customizations you make to a Reploid's AI and the further you deviate from the humanoid structure the more likely it is to go Maverick from sheer system failure in the future to the point that it's a foregone conclusion for the animalistic Reploids you fight as Mavericks in all the X games.

Command Mission was bloody fantastic for stretching out X's world to the point that it set up legendary heroes through Massimo. I was surprised a Mega Man RPG could work so well given the games' subject matter and general formula but Command Mission's one of the best RPGs I've gotten my hands on. command mission 2 never ever

I'm actually the direct opposite. I got started in on the series in earnest with Megaman X. I bought it as one of the very first SNES games I ever had.

Going back to the classic series feels slow and methodical and I just can't get the timing for a lot of the fights down. They're fucking amazing to watch if the player is skilled, though!

I've definitely heard of that other stuff, not specifying time frames going wrong with things that actively want to screw you makes sense. I just never considered how much of a problem it could be for AIs who are just neutrally following their orders at their own discretion too. I mean, Bass isn't trying to not defeat Mega Man to spite Wily like a monkey paw sorta deal, it's just that cold hard logic would lead him to be super cautious as long as there's no time limitation specified.

I guess the point is, I now realize that even a "good" AI (not that Bass is good but you know what I mean) can be tripped up on not explicitly indicating a time frame for an objective.

The voicework was mediocre a lot of the time, but when they hit their stride, boy howdy did they hit it. Mark Gatha also gave his best X performance, with lots of friendship speeches and the occasional MAVERICK shouting session. And whoever voiced Spider deserves a long and profitable career.

X7's Sigma VA was pretty cool.

Fun fact: The guy who voiced Barry in RE also voiced Red in X7.

The robot masters had excellent base characteristics and were simple enough to build a lot on. Really wished they had their own side highlight mini stories.

Love how quickman decided to go. Gemini man not having useful side functions was bullshit though. Also never pegged hotman as the prideful warrior type.

Another bonus, the robot masters are very aware of their expiry dates and even talk about it.

sad dey

The megaman IP really didn't have to die like this.

At the very least we can look on and say that this all existed though, right? It was real even if only for a time.

As an Silent Hill, Silent Scope, Tomb raider, Megaman, and xenoGEARS fans this sense of sadness is nothing new.

Damn, this is my MML3 right here. Thanks inajewane!

Never really understood this meme for the zero series. On the surface, I suppose I see it, but zero never really was *teleports behind you slits your throat*-level ingame.

Plus, The combat is a blast. Elemental attacks and the buster still exist, which are also fun to use.

To be honest, I don't quite understand your dislike for the series, beyond not liking the protagonist.

It's because Inafune admitted that he wanted Zero to be the main character in the X series, and that he gave him all of the cool scenes. As for the combat the buster is trash and the levels aren't designed around it. Elemental attacks are equally a joke, the appeal of different weapons wasn't just to deal more damage, but to give you different ways of approaching a situation, which the elemental chips and the extremely limited weapon selection do not provide.

I just did a playthrough, and I tended to use the buster more than any other weapon, so useless wouldn't be an accurate description. Plus, the elemental chips open up alternate routes and secrets, and i'd rather have a few cool weapons than 20 Leaf Shields.

Oh trust me, I am just as upset as you are about that, but it's kind of irrelevant. Not to be a dick or anything but not playing a game for any reason like that is nearly as bad as femenists not liking a game because its "problematic". I just don't understand why people let that effect their perception of the game. I think it would be valid if it came to a judgement of the X series, but in the zero series it's a pretty moot point.

I've always managed to find a use for it. Admittedly though, it's not that good in most boss fights.
Really, it just comes down to personal preference: Do you like the sword or the gun more?
I just personally like using the saber.

But I did end up liking Zero better anyway, so what was wrong with giving him the spotlight? Now Axl, there's a character I couldn't stand and resented being given screen and/or game time, so if I imagine seeing Zero that way, I understand the hate in theory. But personally, since Zero worked for me, shoving him in the spotlight was fine.

At worst, you could complain that Inafune made Zero cool by ruining X with all that later game angst and pacifism, but even when before X came down with clinical depression I liked Zero more as a character. And for gameplay purposes, I really liked how Zero's new moves didn't need consumable energy like X's did. That was one design idea I never really liked about Mega Man games from the very beginning.

Where did I say I didn't play it? I own the collection, and was just explaining where the donut steel thing came from.

Because the developer went out of his wait to give more attention to Zero than X, since Zero was his baby.

But that's how you could balance shit like the Flash Stopper or GravityMan's weapon, by giving it an ammo gauge. I'd rather be forced to consider if a situation is worth breaking out a weapon that will give me an edge at the cost of ammo/

Oh, I see. I thought you meant donut steel in the way that zero was a bad character or something, rather than the fact that inafune was actually like "zero is better than x do not steel". Sorry, was just a bit confused there, since it just makes inafune a shitty writer than making zero a bad character.

Am I the only one that loves rockman & forte? Best original series game imo, and that game's roll is hella cute

had it on GBA. I kinda liked it. I just like the earlier games more.

It's pretty fun but god damn the bosses on the final stages just feel like dick to fight through.

What? X totally had the spotlight in the first game at least, and even then I liked Zero more. And if Zero saving X from Vile at the beginning means Zero already was getting more attention, than countless main characters got their spotlight stolen, since it's a super common thing in most all fiction for main characters to have another more experienced ally help out early on. You know, shows their growth when they needed help at first but then didn't later on.

So fine, I'll give you that X was pushed down to make Zero stand taller in later games, but X was totally the guy in the first two games at least. At which point Zero won me over. Are you so opposed to the idea that somebody just might like Zero better fair and square? Do you feel compelled to hate Zero in retrospect due to what we now know about Inafune? If you like X better that's cool, but don't act like Zero didn't legitimately have his own appeal too.

As for limited ammo for balance purposes, I'd rather see the alt weapons be balanced in other ways, and if there's no other way to balance stuff like the Flash Stopper, than leave it out entirely. Plenty of weapons were NOT clearly better than the Buster and more situational sidegrades at most, in which case limited ammo wasn't necessary. If you must give them all limited ammo because that's the only way to balance some, than I'd rather those that absolutely needed that type of balance were dropped.

Mega Man & Bass was a pretty great consolation game for SNES owners, though I like playing it on the SNES with a translation patch better than I do on the GBA because of the bigger screen-size.

I think the ammo system is fine as it is. Inconvenient? It can be sometimes, yes. But I think it's there for a reason and trying to find other mechanics are needlessly complicated.

The Item Shop adds a ton of really cool upgrades that added a lot to the game, like Balance and Charger

You know, I came up with the perfect solution to their problem. Robot combat sports. It's pretty simple, yet apparently even Light isn't smart enough to come up with that idea.

No, he did not use his hands.
Like a smart man, he used a tool.

I always thought it was "I guess, my man he used a tool"

How does that solve anything? They are doomed to die, just one way is now much more violent than the others.

Also gives more robots an opportunity to decide they like violence and carnage.

I specifically meant the problem of robot masters like Quick Man having no practical, non-violent purpose and thus wanting to be shut down. Robot combat sports would give them a purpose, and, unlike combat sports with humans, there would be no real danger of them dying or getting irreversibly injured.

At that point just hand them over to the military, form a PMC and merc them out.

That would involve hurting humans, though, and I'm pretty sure Light would rather not have robot masters used as tools for war.

This is actually an important plot point in X6. Isoc, who is largely implied to be Wily possessing a robotic shell, repeatedly refers to Zero as "the strongest robot". Not reploid. Robot. Wily and Light are the only people in the world that would know to make the distinction. Everyone else thinks Zero was based on X, like all reploids were.

No, he doesn't. At least not in the same sense that X does. This is something I've brought up on here before, and it warrants discussion in a thread like this. X makes an identical copy of something another robot could do. Zero develops new entirely new techniques based on what he's seen. Dr. Wily's ultimate creation is one that doesn't copy abilities, but outright creates new ones based on its experiences. Dr. Light's ultimate creation is one that outright plagiarizes from the source. This seems somewhat backwards to me.

If only X6 had had more time, what was there after I think it was 8 months' work was extremely impressive, it was the germ of a fantastic X game despite the bugs and general unfinished state. Definitely had the best soundtrack of the PS1 games and some interesting stage gimmicks along with the Nightmare mechanic that changed how stages played out depending on which ones you'd been to previously.

Depends on your point of view on whether it's better to have a derivative but inaccurate-to-source copy (which does still fulfill the same purpose as the original) vs. a total and absolute copy of the ability, especially since Zero's always fallen into uppercut, downward-thrust, elemental stab, dash attack and ground-pound due to his choice of weaponry while X runs a menagerie and isn't really limited by his equipment. Zero's versatile within a semi-limited skillset of sword techniques and mimics or re-imagines the source ability while X develops a 1:1 copy of the source ability and can express .

Whoops, should've finished as "and can express an advanced form of the ability or a different ability from the source by charging" but it got eaten or something.

I think this has more to do with Capcom being lazy/rushed, and working within the paradigm of Zero's gameplay, similar to how if X takes a power from a boss, there's an 90+% chance that it's going to be a projectile weapon.
That is interesting. I hadn't considered that element of it. X doesn't come standard with that ability, though, it's a component of his armors, which were developed later. In any case, I wasn't really arguing about which was better, I was just musing on the fact that the plagiarist's robot is the one that doesn't plagiarize. It's comical. Or maybe, like you said, the point is that it fails to plagiarize. I guess it depends on whether the original intention was to copy at all.

Wasn't the spirit behind copywep/tool so that megaman could produce any tool needed to assist others with vs a system made to weaponize/improve weapons?

What's hilarious is that in one of the issues, one of the artists introduces his donut steel mary sue, and was going to become the protagonist and kill off all the Mega Man characters before the staff fired him.

It is a spot of irony that Wily's derivative robot is in and of itself original while still being derivative in its originality.

Sorta', Rock's copy system was intended for tools to be a better helper robot and if I remember right the deal was his Variable Weapons System was the exact same thing just being used to copy enemy weapons instead of copying hardware supplies. I don't really recall any details on the Variable Tool/Weapons System besides that Rock had it and he kept it when being changed into Mega Man.

He saw that the guy doing Sonic was being quite successful in that, and figured he could get away with it too.

By the way, here's possible evidence that Zero doesn't actually use DNA data to develop attacks, but rather, simply evolves them as he experiences new things. Check out vid related at 9:45. Zero gets Tenshouha from Optic Sunflower, but when Optic Sunflower activates this attack, it clearly shows in the background that it's actually coming from a satellite. So then, since the satellite isn't a robot, why is Zero able to copy that ability at all? It seems unlikely that Zero simply assumed control of an existing military weapon satellite, and is using it willy-nilly without anybody noticing. Additionally, when Zero uses it, the pillar of energy comes from himself, rather than the sky.

As far as I can think of, there are only two possible explanations.The first is that Zero actually developed the technique from his experience fighting Optic Sunflower, and that DNA data had nothing to do with it. The other option is that, because Optic Sunflower's base is a training facility that operates on holograms, it's possible that the satellite doesn't exist at all, and is simply another holodeck/danger room construct. In which case, it's possible that Zero copied the ability to create that construct, but in real life and outside of the facility, somehow. That's a stretch, but certainly possible, given that he was designed for mass/energy/data conversion, as seen in X5. Either way, that explanation doesn't factor in why the energy comes from himself in that version.

So what do megaman fans on Holla Forums think of the protomen?
Also, do they sing about some sort of fanfiction?
Where do they get their lore material?
I like them but dont know shit about megaman apart from proto being awesome.

So who's the top tier mega waifu

I believe that pretty much every mega waifu is top, but the top top pick for me is ciel.

The Protomen are generally very well-liked on Holla Forums.
It's some kind of alternate retelling. It actually has very little to do with the games and canon, but instead uses its characters, which already exist as symbolic of certain ideals, to tell a different story with similar some themes.
Their ass. But also, a movie called Streets of Fire.
If you like The Protomen, there's a good chance you'll find something in the series to like. However, The Protomen are pretty overtly dark most of the time, whereas the series has a kid-friendly coating on the surface, which hides a lot of the same themes of The Protomen lurking underneath.

That's pretty new, when you think about it.

I dont post on Holla Forums, i come from /tg/ and another IB.

If I remember right Infinity Mijinion's Rekkoha was also an external weapons platform of some sort that Zero was copying instead of Mijinion's actual weaponry. Maybe Zero has a true Variable Weapons System like Bass before him did?

Da bess

Any megaman deathmatch players around? Shame the host abandoned the previous thread.

Act 1 was way too screechy
Act 2 was gold
Act 3 never

I was the fag who played Bass during previous thread, Arde abandoning thread was a massive bummer since the server went down and I have no idea of how to contact him.

I played a bunch of it before but I got burned out.

Freak got a new host server on doomseeker but it's empty right now.

I see, i thought it was a grimmdark adaptation of the origianl games.

Justified classes just got a major update, new stuff.

auto can now drive his car if he gets enough scrap. Sniper joe is playable now.

Mine, of course.

I was waiting for him to be added. Gotta try him soon.

He is a beast with his own variant copywebs and an attack helicopter/ride armor.

It is in a sense, but you shouldn't play the games thinking it's going to be exactly the same thing.

Well yeah, i never though otherwise, megaman seems too noblebright and kid oriented to be about scientists taking over cities by killing their m8s gfs.

Megaman is light hearted, they saved the edge for X.

IP? If there's not a thread up for it I can make one and share it.

45.79.134.90:10746

see

Might be best to use doomseeker though to get the extra pk's being used justifiedclasses-v3ehh.pk3
legopack-v2a.pk3
kndm-v1c.pk3
amp-mp-v1.6-h.pk3
sharpv3b-h.pk3.

Mega Man classic touches on some classic Asimov robot philosophy, but is very kid-friendly. Genocide is a recurring theme throughout the rest of the series.

But just the same, how can you question who's to blame?

allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=legopack-v2a.pk3

allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=amp-mp-v1.6-h.pk3

allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=sharpv3b-h.pk3

Haven't even heard of those packs after v3ehh, what do those all do? I also caught that the DOS classes were updated alongside justified last thread but a download link was never provided by the dev and I can't maneuver around Cutstuff worth a pinch of shit.

Map packs I believe. The current server says dos but forgot to at the pk so I'm not even sure if I have the most up to date copy.

I have v2g.

v2g's my pack as well so probably we're both out-of-date. Good to know those're map packs and it'll be staying pure JC otherwise though.

FINALLY
EVERYTIME

I'll probably be on at or around this time tomorrow, I'd play now but TF2 is updating and my connection is dialup-tier.

Sorry about that, dropped out to do other stuff.

Anyways the server is stuck on a shit game mode, luckily there is another.

71.244.162.163:10667
Uses the same wads minus the legopack

Thanks, mate, got in no problem!

Freak fixed the first server but I'm done for tonight.

G'nite, at least I solved my connection problems today, so that was a huge plus!

Running a 24 player Justified Classes DM server at 100.2.124.186:11001
Voting's open for map changes as well.
I can't guarantee any players besides myself, but hey, it's a live server for at least an hour.

Is there anywhere I can find translations of the Japanese manuals? Obviously the english translations changed a ton of stuff, even aside from names, and at least in the first couple games, all the story is in the manual.

The nightmare gimmick was cool in concept but in execution it was the worst thing in existence. See: Nightmare Dark

Btu they kind of like brush over the genocide in X from what I remember.

Like in X4 sky lagoon crashes and kills MILLIONS of people and all they get is some small "oh no" and that's it

Here's a question, if you could equate a MM series to 3D counterpart, what could it be?

I'd say Shinobi on the PS2 is kind of similar to MMZero.

Too soon.

Atlus is cutest rockgirl

I haven't seen any threads JUST about them.

Speaking of which, how many of you guys saw them at Warped Tour? That was the first time I saw them live, but I also caught them about a month ago during their solo tour. They were on with Bit Brigade. Loud as fuck in the club they were in, but worth it.

Ciel, but Alouette/Prarie was pretty good for the 1 game she actually showed up in as a legal adult.

Act 1 had some off moments, but it did give us HOPE RIDES ALONE and all of Protoman's speeches. Act 2 had the same thing for me, but it was smoother to listen to overall.

Reminder auto is only pretending to be cheerful, he has no emotions at all.

He gets disassembled by wily and after getting repaired Roll comments on how horrible it was, to which auto replies that he feels nothing unlike new models like roll and rock.