You there! Bring me a modern (past 5-10 years) horror game that doesn't rely on jumpscares

You there! Bring me a modern (past 5-10 years) horror game that doesn't rely on jumpscares.

My life.

I said horror, not comedy.

I honestly cant say. Because "indie" horror games like Outlast and FNAF feel like they're comprised of nothing but jumpscares.

Dead Space 1 was pretty good and I can't remember it relying on jump scares. I think 2 was the same, but I do remember it having more jump scares.

Bioshock 1 had some jumps scares, but a lot of the game especially the beginning had a lot of genuinely frightening moments, like when the lights go out and you stand in a spotlight while splicers run in from the darkness around you. The statue people were cheap but did scare me.

Other than that I'm not sure. Not a big fan of horror games.

Outlast had a nice atmosphere and storyline. It had a lot of cheap, dumb jumpscares but the horror came from the disturbing details of what happened to everyone in the asylum and how things got so bad.

FNAF was based on Jumpscares but they were a penalty for dying. The actual horror came from the helplessness you feel while trying to keep yourself from getting attacked.

Don't get me wrong, I won't argue with you on how great Outlast's atmosphere was, but I just hate how often it throws cheap scares at you, it was especially bad at the beginning. Granted I'm only an hour in, I hope it gets better from hear on out.

*here on out
fuck

I'm actually hoping outlast 2 is good. The oppressive atmosphere of 1 was fantastic, and the whistle-blower DLC was better than the main game. Aside from it being stupid that the killer is as slow as you are after you fuck your leg up. That ruined my panic a lot.

What is the Whistleblower DLC about anyways? I'm the kind of person that barely buys DLC or looks it up.

8/10 I audibly chuckled.

Kek, user gets btfo of this thread.

nuDoom

Haunting Ground, it's horror is also helped by the fact that the setting of the game and the characters are fucking bizarre as shit.

Knock-Knock

Pretty good.

Is F.E.A.R. modern enough?

Alien Isolation doesn't rely on jumpscares too much

Ib

Techie that helps maintain the Asylum's hi-tech equipment leaks the human rights abuse detail in a report to the outside world, gets caught and made a fake patient for the doctors to punish at leisure. He has to break out at the same time the reporter dude from the main game is breaking in.

Does REmake count as modern still? Shit's pretty fucking spooky.

ngr plz
Dead space 1 & 2 are pretty fun games though. Bioshock is cold shit and generally unfun.

Lone Survivor was alright even if the look of it is questionable.

Its not really horror but the ambiance and feeling of loneliness when you first meet the Flood in the original Halo spooked me when I was growing up.

Pathologic, if one of your fears is disease and plagues. 0 jump scares.

This.
Plus it has some nice audio. Very immersive.

silent hill shattered memories only kind of relied on jumpscares

Condemned?

Condemned's pretty good, and there's only one particular jumpscare that i remember.

It wasn't that scary though

Yes, there are jumpscares, but they mostly aren't scripted and the real horror of the game comes from the tension of that monstrous fucking mouthrape machine lurking two feet from your hiding spot.

I expected good horror games, got a wicked burn instead. 10/10

Quick screenshot for future generations. I'm sorry user, today OP was not a faggot so far.

FPBP

Oh my god this made my day

S.T.A.L.K.E.R scares the shit out of me and it came out in 2008.

I genuinely believe that Half Life 2 is the best horror game of all time though, obviously it isn't all horror but it reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth, which is also not a horror movie but contains one of the most terrifying scenes in cinema. Perhaps it's because the scary shit in both of these is embedded between a lot of not horror shit that makes the scary stuff seem more terrifying in comparision.

Also as a relatively young kid I came across the entrance to the Dark Brotherhood on accident without knowing the slightest thing about them and that talking door in the abandoned house gave me nightmares.

The Alien is actually really spooky on hard mode because of how sensitive his AI is at times. I'm honestly surprised it wasn't as successful as it was to get another game like it from Sega.

>>>/reddit/

That's why he made the screenshot.

SOMA brings up questions regarding consciousness and continuity. Throws a couple of tough choices at the player too.

SOMA is the closest thing I'd call to a "thinking man's" walking simulator
The ideas are relatively hard sci-if which is nice
That being said it is mind numbingly boring to play and doesn't do near enough with the deep sea schtick
Some of the underwater portions were kind of neat though

Agreed. The deep sea underwater portion was actually pretty cool, but there was too much schlepping from one underwater base to the next. I also thought the "sub-plot" regarding the rouge AI never really took off, and really only served as an excuse to shove monsters into the equation. Also the bit near the end where the game literally begs you to hastily resolve the sub-plot was pretty jarring.

Unsure what Inside falls under

Could argue horror, but seems more like a confusing soft nightmare

Soma is the story of a moron who somehow managed to have his consciousness saved and transported to Sealab 2021.

Despite being told numerous times that he is dead and is just a copy, Simon just doesn't get it. It was explained to him in the simplest terms that the original died over a hundred years before the start of the game.

In fact the entire plot of SOMA was fucking retarded in the first place with no one understanding what the word 'copy' means. The fact that everyone just started to off each other instead of doing the logical thing and staying alive until the surface was somewhat habitable is beyond me. If large animals such as sharks could survive that means that things aren't beyond repair, nor would it mean that every bunker/shelter would have been destroyed.

In short, the entire thing was stupid and I couldn't take it seriously at all.

Personally, I figured that Simon's brain scan was incomplete- it did happen in a shady-ass office building. The reason he's a retard is that he's literally missing parts of his brainwaves.

Horror is a dying genre. Both in the video games and movie industry.

The horror movie industry was always shit, there are a tiny amount of horror movies that are legitimately scary and don't resort to jump scares, gore, or just pure cheese like every single slasher ever made. In fact, I'd say the best horror of all time was actually a recent one It Follows. It's certainly a pretty divisive one and people tend to love or hate it, but to me it had a neat premise, great cinematography, music, and it was tense and eerie even when the protagonist was in broad daylight surrounded by other people. It also didn't shit itself at the end like every other almost good horror movie like the Babadook.

As for games I agree, horror has died. Games where you actually had lots of gameplay systems and resources to frantically manage that presented you with something that challenged them were scary, but in the age of regenerating health, simple controls, baby mode "RPG mechanics", and nofail walking simulator sequences we will never get another game like System Shock 2 , certain Thief levels (that twisted mansion), or Silent Hill 2 (and not to mention how much of that game would be incredibly triggering and problematic in the current year).

The last good horror game I can think of was S.T.A.L.K.E.R

I think the whole idea is that you don't know who you are - Sure, you feel like a real person right now, but you could in reality just be a copy that is reliving the memories of the original person.

From what I could tell, there are four Simons in the game: The original, the first robot, the second robot, and the copy on the ark. The Simon that you're really controlling over the course of the entire game is the third Simon, with the exception of the perspective switch to the fourth Simon after the game ends. You only perceive being the original Simon and first robot because you are running through Simon's memories.

He's still a dick, though.

And the whole bit with people killing themselves is still stupid, because if they retain their memories of themselves from after the scan was taken, then they'll know whether they're the copy or the original, which means all that you would accomplishing by committing suicide is literally killing yourself.

I dunno man, I love dumb slasher movies like Friday the 13th and stuff.

This also reminds me of the problem with teleportation - If a teleporter is built that beams you from location A to location B, how do you know whether or not the person that shows up at location B is you, or a copy?

The suicides in SOMA might be a desperate attempt to work around that problem. The people who killed themselves probably thought they could magically transfer their consciousness over to their copy, but the game clearly makes it out that these are copies. The original is not moved, and is still intact.

…Actually, Simon is struggling with this idea too, which is why he's such an asshole. It doesn't really seem too difficult to frame: When you take something apart and put it back together, are you really rebuilding the same object, or are you building a new object with the old parts? The answer seems clear when the parts are large and discrete, but what happens when you disassemble something at the molecular level?

I do too, but they aren't remotely scary. I try to refer to them as comedies because that really is what they are.

Fucking disintegrated.

bump

There's always this.

I have no reaction images for this sort of banter.

If we still had archive support I might consider not doing it. Either way it's better to save it then forget it ever existed.