There is a way to objectively juge a game? How would it work out?

There is a way to objectively juge a game? How would it work out?

Other urls found in this thread:

oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just find a people with an objectively superior taste, like me, and listen to his opinions.

Only way would be to get someone who has no inrerest in the genre of whatever game he is judging.

Judgement can't be objective, because it's, well, judgement.

I think you should check the grammar there user.

I can see that, but as cars or weapons we can have objective arguments on why some are shitty and some are good, how come we can't with vidya?
having a superpartes sounds the best way

Entertainment cant really be objective though.

You have no idea how commas work in a sentence?

Ιατρός, να θεραπεύσει τον εαυτό σου

oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html

quads of truth.

as for cars, my last car was shitty Opel Corsa and most people agree it's a piece of shit. But somehow, I really enjoyed driving it, it was comfy. It doesn't mean it's a good quality car, though.

No not really. You could but it will probably look like some complicated mathematical model that no one will understand.

Now thing is why judge it? So you can recommend it to others like the critics job should be or judge it for yourself so you can know if it's a time waste or not?

well shit, I have t notice them. Sage for being a dumbdumb

You can't get perfect objectivity, buuut

1. A Game that is in a series should not have fewer features and less content than predecessors

2. A game that is in a genre should not be significantly worse, or lacking, than the best of the genre.

There is no reason or justification for regression.

I'm going to apply this to every game I play from now on. Thank you user.

Video games have crumbling standards and even film criticism can be greatly off the mark.

First you create an objective standard. Then measure it against it.

You can measure objectively how much time is spent in a game. It's graphical fidelity. How much content there is. Shit like that.

The real question though is "Do I care about these measurements?"

If we got the AT route, we can always objectively judge a work by it's own internal direction. If it inhibits itself in it's intention. Which is what patricians understand artistic excellent to mean.

But if you mean "Judge in such a way that we can tell people that they are right or wrong for enjoying something". I don't really think that is doable. Someone can have bad taste in they seem to enjoy things for reasons external to it. But that doesn't mean them enjoying it is "wrong". It just means they have bad taste. And last I checked that wasn't exactly a crime.

Just go with the flow and parot other people's opinion user.

Dont think for yourself and buy the shit IGN/YouTube/marketing agencies tell you to.

I don't get why you would point out that and not the implication that I am many.

Anything that is crafted can be judged by its craftsmanship.

If you set out to make a chair and end up with a table, you made a shitty chair. The only real problem is the fact that games consist of both hands-on work, the programming and quality assurance, and more ephemeral aspects like the story. One should judge these separately, a bad game can still convey a good story (in theory) and vice versa.

Checked

But here's lies the donkey. Is objectively a bad car, but your opinion is that is a comfy/good one. Therefor we can judge that is objectively bad

Well, yeah having unbiased review would work. Since on the other side is impossible to be objective on yourself due tho "feeling" getting in the way, as the other user and his car

I would argue on the second point being less than the mediocre of the genre.
For the first, what if they removed them beacuse was a shitty thing or they found a better mechanic due the new technology?

Well, then I should hate on vidya since Holla Forums does so right:^}

And brake it down with structures for it? Like how we brake down a movie and judge the different parts of it?

Birth of a Nation is praised for its cinematography but not exactly for its story. So yea.

It's difficult to objectively rate a game. You would need to have something that the game would be relative to; a standard. It's how the kilogram is defined by the amount of a preserved piece of platinum or how some monetary systems used to be defined by gold. The issue that arises is that each person has their own definition of entertainment that we are, at least at this point in time, unable to quantify. I imagine the closest thing we could do is create a series of baseline games for each genre and we would rate games relative to those.

But there is also the fact that games can have wildly different mechanics in the same genre. Is it ok to compare spyro 2 to banjo tooie? They play completely differently while both being collectathon platformers.

Whether it is functional or not, a game that runs like shit, much like a car that runs like shit is shit on an objective regardless of whether you like the brand/model/color.

There is something to say about the complexity of a game being that a game that has limited action to mere walk around
Play audio clip/view videoclip/view text would, objectively has less gameplay complexity than say, a platformer.
Or lets say you make a few html documents with links to eachother. You could say that is a "game", but with an objective level of scrutiny you could very well state that the complexity of the project is rather lacking and player engagement is really low.

I wrote game reviews in 1987 to 2002, it isn't hard to take an objective look at a game if you actually play them, which is why game journalists these days have such a hard time reviewing them

I know. It's the closest thing I can think of as a standard, though. We could also try to quantify fun and engagement, but that's relative to each person. Now that I think of it, another possible system could be gathering each with diverse psychological profiles and preferences and have them play the game to determine enjoyment level for different groups. For example, people on Holla Forums often have a palate that is nothing like NeoGAF or Reddit.

fuck off

Never said that. Numbers (and colors, since we have color codes) are in fact objective.

I always play a game two times. If I see how shit some things were on the second run that means I had fun playing it the first time that I didn't even notice anything.