Why is there a lack of Vietnam games?

Why is there a lack of Vietnam games?

Other urls found in this thread:

cherrieswriter.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/8-facts-about-the-vietnam-war-from-a-former-viet-cong-soldier/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You expecting for someone here to have the answer? Sorry man, but it ain't me.

no clue, maybe its just unlucky that it got trapped between everyone getting sick of the WWII setting and the modern setting becoming popular

or maybe its just hard for devs to make properly?

games where you smash communism aren't really a hot topic/a big seller anymore fam, for better or worse

imagine trying to pitch the idea of your vietnam game to a publisher

or

either you make a piece of pandery bullshit that nobody is interested in (see: cod black cocks or whichever one let you spend like three missions in Nam) or you self-publish

pic related you sneaky devil

There's a few. Not a particularly fondly remembered time of war, and when the big war game boom was going on, a lot of vietnam vets weren't exactly too old to be unexposed to it, unlike world war II.

I personally can't really imagine many actually good game play scenarios the vietnam war would bring out. Maybe some good narrative ones but game play? You only really have iron sight shooting, not exactly anything worth giving a damn about there.

Too hard to program the AI to recognize all the foliage.

you know, on second thought vietnam could make for some fantastic simulators. the first real widespread use of helicopters, for one, or ground-support bombing runs in fixed-wings

i personally would love a modern simulator where you get to napalm the shit out of jungle hills and back up the ground forces

Lack of wide appeal. Not so many people want to play an RTS or FPS game where the bulk of the fighting is small-scale and the enemies and locations repeat a lot. You can probably get away with a few levels or an expansion pack set in Vietnam, but the subject matter's a bit too samey to stretch out for a full game.

I'm not interested in another war simulator. I find games like arma to be boring as fuck. I'd rather have more creative game play scenarios over something where you can "do anythign!!! with 100% realism!!" bit of an overdone category of games there.

On the other hand, an espionage game like Alpha Protocol set in Vietnam and taking cues from The Quiet American might make for a really cool and unique title.

Let me tell you why: The dev has no fucking idea what the war is all about.
The single best thing about Vietnam War is the foliage. And yet not a single fucking Vietnam War game lets you climb a tree.
Those stories about platoons marching through the forest, and after a night in there, they wake up only to find out they lost one person? Yeah, Vietcongs hide on the trees a lot. The only game that had VC on trees? Black Ops. That's it.

Who took them then, user.

Nobody wants to do what needs to be done.

I'm not talking about an ARMA level autism simulator, I'm talking like a dedicated helicopter sim or flight sim

we both know the answer to that

because america makes the video games and they don't want to talk about how badly they fucked up

America kicked ass in Vietnam, minus the Tet Offensive there weren't any hiccups in this war. The reason the Americans pulled out was because the democrats were shocked at what a war looked like.
Soldiers are always scared in war and it was the anti-war environment at the time, I can assure you that Korea was at least 2 times worse but no one ever gave a shit about that.

[citation needed]

i agree that vietnam wasn't as bad militarily as everyone seems to think it was though

Thread theme

That bullet would of hurt me, but it was fired from it's job.

I think it's because
SOME FOLKS ARE BORN
MADE TO WAVE THE FLAG
OOH THE RED WHITE N BLUE

cherrieswriter.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/8-facts-about-the-vietnam-war-from-a-former-viet-cong-soldier/

But seriously the only games i could play for a vietnam fix would be the bad company expansion or shellshock:nam 67

What the hell are you talking about ? These were everywhere when the WW2 fad died out.

What if Zelda was a girl, user?

No one wants to make a video game about a war that
1) the Good Guys lost
and
2) the Good Guys did un-PC things to inferior races to win

I just want a fucking FPS that's insurgency/RO2 levels of "realism" where I'm fucked and have to resort to crazy shit to survive. The best I can get is ARMA 3 scenarios, fuck me.

uhh user I'm no historian but does that not describe every single fucking game ever?

No because the press or government at the time was able to find a just and not half-assed justification for a war. Vietnam had a justified cause but it was fought in the wrong area, we should have fought the Soviets in the early 60s before nukes started flying around.

Oh, I'm referring to war crimes, were you not?

War Crimes don't matter if the means is easily justifiable in the face of the public

(see Dresden, see Japanese internment camps, see Polish POW Camps)

Another more modern example

People didn't give a single shit about waterboarding in Guantanamo, what people cared about was Obama being able to throw anybody he wants in there via NDAA.

I see.

Fitting digits, exquisite.

It's a shame Vietcong 2 sucked by setting it in the Tet offensive and being basically like Call of Duty. It improved a lot over everything in Vietcong 1 in terms of graphics, gunplay and tactics but failed to capture the atmosphere of the first game.

Just play VIetCong

let's not.

I played Purple Haze on PS2, shit was good.

I remember the tutorial had a paintball arena.

fucking carlos

i dont think that anyone want to play as a random soldier in the losing side

Because it's a big political minefield based around a war no one liked and the people who fought and died in the war are still around.

Yes developers like Ubisoft or some other communist faggot video game company would like to make a game where you play as a valiant Vietcong warrior cutting the throats of evil white american pigs but the risk of 'nam vets wrapping their cappafrapiano machines with detcord and Claymores is a possibility.

Korea says hello.

You know, i'd like to see a Korean War game.

Christ knows how they'd do it in this day and age though.

Fuck her right in the pussy!

Faggots

Source of the webm?