MIGHTY BLUNDER NINE FALLOUT: ASSEMBLE THE CROWDFUNDING DEFENSE FORCE

MIGHTY BLUNDER NINE FALLOUT: ASSEMBLE THE CROWDFUNDING DEFENSE FORCE

After Sterling squealing for people not to turn their backs on crowdfunding to continue to perpetuate his existence (I don't think he's in any immediate danger but the scrambling is still amusing), it seems pretty clear now we can expect a barrage of articles defending Kickstarter to the last breath.

>The main thing to keep in mind is that Kickstarters are still a good thing. They allow developers and small companies to create games that mainline AAA developers tend to ignore or wouldn’t dare invest time and money on. Without Kickstarer we would not have games like Shovel Knight, Broken Age and Darkest Dungeon (Early Access). It’s not the Kickstarter’s fault that Mighty No.9 and Red Ash failed to deliver what was promised, it’s the man behind the project to blame and Keiji Inafune has proven twice that he doesn’t know how to run a Kickstarer and would rather release a half-baked game that backers don’t deserve than close the project down and return their money.

archive.is/6j2Rs

IDGAF about the "OH GOD, WE MUST UNPOISON THE WELL!" part with people frantically moving to defend crowdfunding, but seeing the western press that was oh so in love with Inafune decry him like now is fucking awesome.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/
archive.is/sLbWE
kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps
orogion.deviantart.com/journal/Save-the-Boob-plate-380891149
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Theres no one else I would wish dead

For every one kickstarter success there's three other failures and that success usually has a catch, either censorship, unfinished stretch goals, is "released" in early access or is just disappointing

He's not wrong, though. What we need to try to force quality control for Kickstarter. It's supposed to be a crowdfunding service, make them require videogame developers to make a prototype since the end product isn't something tangible. Even if they don't keep their word to the end, investors will know what they're getting themselves into at that point.

Can you elaborate on that last part?

Divinity Original Sin. It was very little but I really fear that the second will just go all out with the censorship.

I have Shovel Knight in mind here as well as Undertale(supposedly there was a secret boss planned that never happened, either that or that was the furry character)

Distance, Midair are the ones that stick out to me at the moment

Strike Suit Zero

Isn't Shovel Knight still getting updates and all? also, Strike Suit Zero… uh, I bought it on sale, now I am worried, I didn't know it was a kickstarted thing, at least I didn't buy the DLC.

Strike Suit Zero's okay, you'll just really hate the story and some of the missions. Personally I'd just get Infinity which is an arcade version of Zero and a really fun game.

As for Shovel Knight there's no excuse for it taking so long for these stretch goals. It's been what, two years? I haven't finished the game yet because I want to finish it all in one go instead of install it every time the devs decide to bless us with an update.

Crowdfunding or preorders, you're a fucking idiot if you pay for an unfinished, digital, product

I see, another censorship case that comes to mind for me is Skullgirls, specially since the appeal of the game was the waifu bait and risque angles.

Somewhere down the line crowdfunding turned from actual funding to "donations" and thus apparently feeling entitled to quality or considering it an investment is "gamr entitlement" and all that crap.

It's even more infuriating when an obviously rich or well known person in the industry decides to make a kickstarter for millions of dollars

Richard "Lord British" Garriott's been to fucking space, what's his damned excuse for making a crowdfunding campaign for his game that'll never actually come out?
What's Peter Molyneux's excuse, or Shaquille O'Neil(god damn that name is hard to spell)? What's Tim Scafer's excuse? Or John Romero's?

I refuse to believe these people can't get themselves a job or don't have cash stored somewhere that they can use to pay for the game or actually attract an investor.

You forgot Pillars of Eternity.

They are trying to allegedly try to make a game without anyone limiting their "creativity" but seriously I didn't even know half of those were trying to make a game or something.

I haven't played that.

The developers always had the stench of liberalism around them. It's only to be expected they'd dig deeper down the rabbit hole as time goes on.

Such wasted potential. The base gameplay is fine, kinda plays like the Macross games, in that you have a "plane" mode that allows you to quickly maneuver around the battlefiled, and a "mech" mode that allows you to better aim in 3D.

What it was really missing was content and customization, and the fact one of the fighters or whatever they were, the one with the big as fuck laser, tended to be better than the titular mech IIRC.

Fuck off, you goddamn secondary.

Basically this.

The problem isn't necessarily on the part of the platform, it's more a matter of its lack of checks, balances, and control. Since kickstarter is terminally ill with a case of negligence, it direly needs to hold the people who fund though it accountable for their stupid shit if they fail to deliver; it's also a matter of character since one must always be vigilant of the kind of shit one is backing.

Of course, I'm not saying that people here should use it, like it or support it, I'm just stating its main problem. I haven't backed anything myself, and like many already state it is precisely shit like Shitty Blunder 9 that really keeps me from giving money to any project, and unfortunately for kickstarter, scammers like inafuckne are the kind of people who use it the most.

Shit, I worded that first part badly. I meant that the problem isn't kickstarter's plain existence, it's the lack of quality control. Pls no bully

To play Devil's Advocate, it's not Kikestarter's fault people are completely gullible morons. We've seen it time and again, projects that are clear scams, anyone that can rub two brain cells together can tell it's a goddamn Jewish plot, yet morons throw money at this shit with abandon.

Hell, this is the reason the AAA business model is still in place. The problem isn't the market, the problem are the consumers.

Well you make a good point, but here's a question, how exactly would you do quality control for crowdfunding?

It already holds the dumbasses who fund it accountable, but not the hacks and conmen who fail to deliver and further tarnish the trust of anyone who wants to crowdfund anything. I mean why bother funding this small game by this no name studio if the self proclaimed father of action games did diddly dick with 4 million dollars or a new console got fucked and turned out as a big joke even though it had over 10 million dollars behind it?

I think Kickstarter should be actual just kickstarting, and should restrict money until a milestone is met, much like how actual game developers work. Concept gets a set amount of money depending on scale and whatnot. Developers deliver a proof of concept? More money for alphas and whatnot. Developers don't deliver? No more money, no more service with that developer. A blacklist of some sort.

But then comes the question are the people behind Kickstarter actually trust worthy and should they be given that sort of power and money? I doubt it. So in other words I'm not really sure how to think of a feasible way on how to make kickstarter more than this complete joke. Because let's not forgot while it brings us its fair share of failures it also stops a lot of promising projects dead in their tracks with no chance of these projects growing out of infancy or even discouraging small time developers who have good skills or ideas from the industry in the first place. Why should I make video games if no one would play them? Obviously no one's given me attention.

KS is a necessary component to the indie clique and other non-developers idea guys, MN9 is not. They will sink MN9 in order to retain some control over crowdfunding.

Now I know all of you niggers love Shovelknight, so don't panic I won't say your favorite game is shit.
But it's not really impressive when the flagship project of your multi billion dollar pyramid scheme is a game that essentially looks and plays exactly like a Nes game from 1989.

Not to be a Nazi, but I do feel a certain group is responsible for this crowd funding bullshit becoming the new norm. Why not just have an open platform on the internet where people can invest money in projects they think look promising? And then when it does better then expected just give those people some part of the profit. Why do people feel the need to defend pre-ordering a collectors edition two years in advance for double the price?

Maybe said no name studio should make an effort to show they are actually capable of developing games. There's plenty that had games more or less finished and just needed a bunch of money for the final push.

With kikestarter you're basically betting your reputation. Mr. Shitface and Ifanue are pretty much done.

And now you're opening a completely new can of worms. You're basically handling massive amounts of power to Kikestarter, who have proven less than transparent and honest in their business practices.

Also, that would further increase the cut kikestarter gets, because now they have to constantly monitor every single project that got successfully funded.

Did I say something bad about your average competitive level game that is not even featured in big tournaments anymore? sorry but that was no secret and even the devs said it, which makes it worse when they decide to censor themselves to appease a bunch of people that will never play their game anyway.

The higher ups at kikestarter only seem to care about getting their share.

What, so it can immediately be hijacked by the Kickstarter Trust and Safety Council to make sure "quality" means "lack of misogyny"? We're better off the way it is.

If people want to blow their cash on shitty games, that's on them. I say let them.

I've been looking for this comic for a while after my old hard drive died. Have an equally cringeworthy comic as thanks.

Kickstarter is a scam at its core. You're investing with none of the perks and all the risk. The invested doesn't require anything other than to promise you the world.

Except allowing them to throw money at things like this just prolongs the problem. You know the "Vote with your wallet" saying? That applies to half-baked trash, and thanks to them throwing so much money at the kikestarter, they voted for the continuation of similar half-baked trash.

So what's the solution? Let some corrupt, likely leftist, schmuck unilaterally decide what is and is not allowed?

They already do in most cases.

The alternative is shitting on the free market. The last thing you want is regulations on who gets to get crowdfunded.

Shhhh… No Star Citizen, only dreams now.

So more of the same is somehow supposed to make it better?

Like I said in a previous post, the problem isn't the system, the problem are the consumers.

Social medias have intellectually neutered 2 generations, of course most consumers are retarded.

Best we can do is roll with it.

I addressed giving KS giving too much power and money. I just have not a single idea how to even approach quality control with crowdfunding because crowdfunding includes people, and people can be stupid.

Actually user you do bring up a good point. Why do these games, especially these "throwback" games require millions when these developers made much higher quality games with lower budgets and fans are making very good games for low budgets and even putting them out for free(compare MN9 to say Mega Man Unlimited. Compare Bloodstained to Castlevania fighter).

And the problem is these games rarely seek to take what made those games good and improve of them with current technology and knoweldge, all it is is a low quality knockoff with "better" graphics and it gets fucking millions solely because of nostalgia.

Even earlier than that. For the past 50 years people have been fed a steady diet of marketing and consumerism, and discouraged to think shit through.

Vast majority of people are morons. Why do you think most of us come here? This is one of the last bastions of sanity left anywhere.

There is no fixing this shit, just let them be, and hope that if they keep getting burned they'll eventually wise up, thought even that is questionable.

Gee, crowdfunding sounds just like a risky investment opportunity, except without the equity… oh wait, that's exactly what it is. Can we start calling it nonequitable investing?

It sounds like a contractor asking for people to give him money upfront for something he'll deliver later with as poor results as you'd expect from doing that.

The thing is that you have recourses against a bad contractor.

The thing about kickstarter the way the journos want it is for unknown developers to get backing to make games nobody wants. This is completely anti-thetical to what kickstarter works best for. Giving a bunch of no name developer/s a large chunk of money upfront with no guarantee they'll ever deliver is a really fucking big leap of faith. Most people will only give to developers they trust which is not unknown inexperienced developers. I don't see anything wrong with properly informed people putting up money in hopes of getting a game they want. However all these journalists muddying the waters and trying to obfuscate failures is a horrendous thing that will only result in more people getting ripped off and destroying the entire thing.

YOOKA-LAYLEE WILL BE GOOD

YOU CAN'T CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

The journos want crowd funding so that they can help raise money for their friends. See the whole "fig" and Mr Shitface thing.

That's what I said

Well Top Kek used it as an example of a bad kickstarter hurting the "real" indie devs so it's already looking pretty good.

Oh, actual industry vets shouldn't be allowed to use Kickstarter because people with experience and talent should just suck corporate dick for money?

Yeah thanks, gatekeeping indie devs. You're what's best in this industry.

My only dream concerning crowdfunding is posting the second one when that thing crashes.

Garriott claims to have blown all his money on said space trip.

No fucking excuse for Shaquille O'Neil.

Amazing, he lived peniless for 8 years, also getting married a year after that space trip as well as being conned by a magic shop owner for like 550k.

Garriot's a fucking liar, and Shaq ended up funding the game anyways because the crowdfunding campaign wasn't fullfilled

I'm not gay or anything, but I do also think star citizen is gonna be a failure. They seem to keep a lot of things from their backers and they haven't released an update on their progress for a long time.

AHAHAHAAAAHAAAAAA
archive.is/

archive.is/sLbWE

I mean the stretch goals of Shaq Fu 2, I think Shaq said he'll fund those if the campaign ended without breaking those goals.

Speaking of which I don't think I've actually heard of any updates on Shaq Fu 2 for two years now

Roberts Hype Industries should have hired someone to just slap him over and over screaming "YOU'RE MAKING A VIDEOGAME" over and over again so he would focus on making a game instead of a transcendental masterpiece that does everything

Did we REALLY need an FPS component to this game? Did we? DID WE REALLY?!

If it sold more jpegs, why not?

Yes, it was all part of the core element of space combat with the ability to walk in and out of ships.

There was a trailer at some games show maybe a year or so back. Maybe last year's E3?

Kickstarter is really for people with too much money to care and who are too stupid to be real investors.

I mean I could get pitching in 10$ to some guys who have already a working prototype if you get the full game when it's released for like 20$, that's basically what Minecraft did. But throwing money at someone who doesn't even know what he's going to do?

Does anyone have the loss edit of that comic?

This is basically how Kickstarter works outside of software development. With most other things, designing, planning, and prototyping can easily be frontloaded, and a funding campaign used to cover the well-defined production and shipping costs. The result is almost exactly what you describe.

Video games, on the other hand, require that funding to even get off the ground. Rather than something that's designed, working, and ready to be produced for everyone, you're putting your inequitable investment toward nothing but ideas and hot air, ideas which which are still subject to DEVELOPMENT pitfalls and changes in addition to production roadblocks.

Kickstarter is bad for video games. If you kickstart video games, you are retarded.

That's basically game making in general. We don't here about a majority of them because we aren't producers unless the game is crowdfunded, at which point we become the producers.

kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps
The only one I was ever interested in.
I guess it's a good thing I didn't find out about it while it was still taking money.

Video game kickstarters. The rest of kickstarter like movies and books and board games are doing pretty good.

Mostly because there are a million and one alternatives, often with more slanted rules and shitty regulations that developers hop on because it means they can jew people out of their money.

You guys do know that video games aren't the only thing kickstarter does? right?

(Derek Smart)
Derek Smart

It's a dull pain always in the back of my head.

It got massively overfunded but the dev still fucked up, stopped talking to his own community managers, then moved and shutdown the forums.

This much is true.

However, the problem is that 99% of indie devs have unoriginal concepts and are lazy millennials that have shitty work ethics and stop working on their game once they hit a snag or see the money roll in.

The opposite is true for AAA devs, they work hard enough, but they have no concept of scope and appeal to the loudest minority and end up making a generic and failed product.

Kickstarter itself is still fine, but it's just like buying a game: for everyone good project, there's 10,000 bad ones.

According to the original video, Shaq would fund Shag Fu 2 out of his pocket and the stretch goals would be crowdfunded.

Believe it or not, this was the premise behind Mr.Shitface's new site Fig.

There's a bunch of other websites that do this but none are popular enough.

Not be a Star Shillizen, but they just released the first part of their persistent Universe a couple weeks ago.

kek

owch i burned my hand on the stove. owch i burned my hand on the stove. owch i burned my hand on the stove.
[ years later ]
I should stop putting my hand on that stove.

The funniest part is that he claims to have a working prototype that just needs a bit of work, tweaking, and polish. He claimed he would have a beta out in December 2015- two months after the kickstarter ended.

Sorry, I meant December 2014. As in a year and a half ago.

Why are they putting Broken Age next to Shovel Knight in that same sentence, didn't everyone hate it. Especially when they needed more money and split it into two parts?

And also blowing like a large sum of money on Elijah Wood's voice acting for said game.

Because the indie clique liked Broken Age for its "progressive" themes, regardless of simple puzzles, awkward solutions, and bad characters.

The original was one of the worst video games ever made next to superman 64 and cheetamen 2 and is widely mocked along with most of his movies. Why did he think someone would want a sequel to this?

Because thanks to AVGN bad games are "cool" to have now so you can make YT videos ranting about them.

Shaq-Fu is a very bad video game, but this is untrue. There are many video games which are worse because they simply don't work, or because they suffer from bad design choices, or because they're coded poorly.

Shaq-Fu is a bad fighting games with horrible character balance, but it attempted to start what can only be described as a branding strategy for Shaq where he would get into basketball fights with ancient Egyptian mummies and space aliens. For this reason, as well as the sheer absurdity of some of the design choices (I believe aerial attacks which hit at the same time award the hit to the player who started earlier), have given the game a cheesy appeal like Troll 2 or other so-bad-it's-good media.

a necessary evil

but why, I'm wondering, would you use evil on a man before throwing him out of a plane?

Did someone say Derek Smart?

he probably bought the boxes and destroyed those, without the games actually being inside.

The updates usually just add alt modes, like plague knight mode

Why's it playing music from homosuck

Mercenary Kings at least did crowdfunding right.
shame it's not very good

how did actually look censorship in Divninity:OS?

KS isn't just for vidya

Hey guys Kickstarter isn't just for video games!!!

yeah, we know, it's also for vegan crowdfunded electric top hats and a bunch of truly fucking retarded shit

if you buy hardcover brony porn off of KS then relax, we aren't talking about that

holy shit how fucked did you get in the past by a bad kickstarter to be bitter like a fucking lemons asshole

daily reminder to save the boobplate
orogion.deviantart.com/journal/Save-the-Boob-plate-380891149

randomfox go home

Even if all the botched kickstarters (which do outnumber the successes) result in a lot of wasted time and capital, I fail to see how people on Holla Forums think the good games aren't at least somewhat redemptive of the system

man I am string to get sick of seeing people post MMX corrupted as an example of a good Fan game. I looks great, but I doubt it will ever be finished. I don't even think there has been a playable demo. Maybe post some finished games? Like Rockman 7Famicom, Rockman 8FC, Megaman X Street Fighter or Megaman unlimited?

Her vagina is very unkempt.