More games with non-linear level design that aren't open world?

More games with non-linear level design that aren't open world?
I want to get comfy.

Journey.
Deus Ex.

Delta Force

I've played DE way too many times

*that aren't open world and aren't RPGs.

Chaos Theory may be a good stealth game, but it's fairly linear.

Journey is neither open world, nor an RPG, but it is non-linear, in a sense.
It's extremely comfy though, but you'll need a PS3 and money.

MGS series.
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.
Dark Souls
Lost Planet 2

This.
I actually just finished another playthrough of it. Was disappointed by how linear most of the levels are, especially toward the end. They mask it well with some nifty shortcuts.

webm related.

Is this really what you want this thread to turn into, user?

Blood money comes to mind, but you've probably already played it.

Sorry user, I was thinking more about his first description than the second one.
Forgot about the
My bad.

Safe to assume any stealth fan has played the big ones. Otherwise the other two good Splinter Cell games, the two good Hitman games, and the two good Thief games are open for recommendation.

Sure, Seoul is probably the worst offender. There's a sweet spot between the first few tutorializing missions and the later ones which have a few branching paths.

The first two Hitman games are pretty linear and only really give you an illusion of choice, I guess Chaos Theory kind of does the same thing, I'd be totally okay with that as well, as long as you're free to explore. I'll probably end up playing delta force black hawk down.

Most FPS from 90's and early 2000's

It's the only one I have, I just went through the games that I had to see which could fit OP's vague description.

Thief
Thief 2

Still one of the best games ever made.

It only has a reputation for being "pretty but lacking" because of people who couldn't afford PCs to play it at the time.

Not only is it beautiful, it's a gameplay masterpiece.

Until the bullet sponges disguised as aliens start popping up.

Also OP if you have a mate to play with, I'd recommend Clandestine on Steam. It's a stealth asymmetric coop game, very good and the levels have dozens of different ways to be completed. The game also lets you play like you want, so for example entering the front door guns blasting won't result in instafail like too many stealth games.

Good thing he recommended the fourth game.

I was just saying I'm fine with the type of illusion of choice the first 2 games and largely the 3rd have as long as the levels are big, I've played BM endlessly already.

i don't remember them being particularly difficult, just that they were the most boring enemies in the game.

Metal Gear up to 4 minus Portable Ops.

Fuck off gook.

RPG needs abstraction rather than twitch skills. Dark Souls is more skill based than abstraction based.

Bethesda titles have neither.

Isn't Hitman 2016 surprising good? I remember seeing a few anons recommend it. Does anybody else have anything to add?

As for recommendations, I'd say metroidvania genre would be up to your alley.

Hitman TM 2016 is a good game but its more expensive than it should be and it has always online drm, if you disconnect from their shit server it pulls you out of the game. Its also got denuvo and can't be modded.

???

Beth's games, at least before Skyrim, mechanically are more abstraction based than most self proclaimed ARPG's out there. The argument in that screencap can be boiled down to "it's too easy". It's not a strong argument.

Monaco.

Battlefield: Bad Company (the first one, not the second one)
Also it's consoles only

Some levels are linear, but just as many aren't. It also rewards repeat playthroughs, if you're into that.

I came here to post this.

These are the same faggots that got raped by mutants in Far Cry, shouldnt even bother replying to these casual scum

I just got done playing this, fam. Every level is pretty darn linear.

You are gay

Deus Ex mods.
The good ones.

It's an episodic game so it's automatically shit. Anyone recommending it is a shill.

You are the nigger.

What a great summer we're having

Behold: Your journey for comfyness has reached its goal.

This game is so much fun.

also, the commandos games

first was meh at best
second was GOTYAY
third was still goodish but not as second
the forth i didnt even knew was out and didnt even play it

Bought 1, 2 & 3 on sale a year ago. Maybe I just suck, but they are some of the hardest games I've ever come across.

My eternal negroid. Even now the draw distance and landscapes are breathtaking.

I've always been wanting to play Armed and Dangerous, also made by Planet Moon.

Trying to fit in : the post.

Yeah, they're tricky. My go-to trick was to set up all my guys in an area with one entrance and start massacring the troops as they would funnel in once the alarm was sounded.

heh I've also wanted to play Armed and Dangerous but never got around to it for some reason.

The argument is the games are extremely mechanically unengaging; not whether they are RPGs or not.

Bethesda hates abstraction.