How would an open world Silent Hill game work?

How would an open world Silent Hill game work?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43167/?
nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/328/?
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it fucking wouldn't because they're heavily story driven and open world games have too much sequence breaking

Wasn't it already an open world game? You could explore all over the town.

Not really.

Lets say the next Silent Hill game has a full blown openworld engine, enabling players to traverse ALL regions of Silent Hill (Paleville, South Vale, and the South Eastern suburbs of Downpour) with no loading times.

The first post in this thread has a point though, sequence breaking. What would warrant the player to explore all of Silent Hill, how would it relate to the story?

Sure, it seems cool at first.

Like all the other SH games. They're open world already.

But if you want to make it a more open ended sandbox game, now that's another question. I personally think side quests would improve the game a lot.

SH story sucks shit tbh. STALKER is more open ended, yet has better story.

Fuck the story, if you can't get the spookiness down and surrealism with surprises like that hospital room in SH4 then you might as well then you might as well just drop it altogether.

Eddie, have you gone nuts?

I would say that sequence breaking wouldn't be a problem if you designed it so that no matter which building you go into it would change according to what items the player have and don't have

so with that you can have a linear item progression while having the game open world

oh you mean the giant fucking head?

all of the silent hill games, the good ones at least, seem to have one room which does something but out of all of them the room was a let down with that kinda shit

It's gay.

How do you expect anyone to reply seriously to you when you write like an autist?.

Devin Shatsky pls leave

Story is not important. What's important is the way you present it to the audience. I think the mediocre voice acting, half assed dialogs, and the lack of any elaborate spiritual commentary are ruining SH's atmosphere. The poem used for the puzzle solving is absolutely gay as well. Finding your daughter/finding your dad/generic empirical horror storyline about discovering secrets is lame and overused. The focus of Silent Hill should be the spiritual journey experienced by the protagonist himself, not the town's generic horror story. That's why it's a garbage story.

It really wouldn't work.

The whole point of most of the games is a constant sense of either isolation and confinement or danger and agoraphobia. The whole driving force of the games full-stop is to make you not want to go somewhere, but have to go there. Open world games only work when they can give you a sense of wonder and curiosity about a big world you want to explore. SIlent Hill does the exact opposite, giving you a foreboding world you don't want to see or explore, but you have to. The only way to make an open world Silent Hill is to force you to push to certain areas to progress, which really defeats the point of an open world.

But I always explore silent hill with a sense of curiosity though.

Tomm Hulett pls leave

fuck no

Just like this mod would:
nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43167/?

Right, but it's always supposed to be accompanied by a sense of tension and danger, which doesn't really work for open world games, which are supposed to pull you into the wonder of the world.

If you gave me an open-ended Silent Hill game without a solid progression and an open, isolated, hellish world, I'd probably drop it out of anxiety rather than have any drive to push through.

you sir, have shit taste in horror

Or state of decay silent hill mod:
nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/328/?

You sir, don't understand the backbone of vidya gaems. If the game isn't engaging then the player will not be interested in the story it's that simple.

It wouldn't. Horror games work because of confined settings

Not really. STALKER CoP is nothing like that.

It's all about the level design tbh.

Silent Hill Downpour tried that, and some user compiled that the studios heads and Konami buttheads on the budget, the need for more time to fill the fucking empty place, and how the final product was rushed.
Anne DLC turned into a comic book and Tomm Hulett jump ship to Wayforward

Is there a single good open world horror game?

It wouldnt
Get lost

The only way it could possibly work is if it's some sort of giant randomized puzzle that is actually difficult, toward an end game.
You could have story segments you encounter and the rest of the time it would be a giant map where you're alone or you might walk into the otherworld, maybe mistakenly go somewhere that is just peril.
But it couldn't occur in the same location each time and perhaps it could stray away from being a grand "casual" puzzle/obstacle that could stretch on beyond the usual time frame of a few hours to maybe weeks.
If it ends up being GTA silent hill it's just shit, but I mean it's already a shit idea with how the games are usually structured.

Make more of SH explorable, add lots of side shit to find that adds to the plot, allow the story to progress in a non linear order with lots of different sequences of events that in turn lead to different things occuring depending on the order tasks were accomplished.

As somebody who is schizophrenic its quite easy to design

I've given tips before to horror designers but they never listened so I gave up

Whatever idea's you have to design an open world horror game will never be what the designers have in mind

Stalker, especially the first one. Controllers and snorks spawning at your back in sewers and underground laboratories still make me piss myself.

kill yourself FNAF fanboy

For example FNAF1 I gave the example where in the main pizza room occasionally you'll see all the animatronics enter it, one obscuring the camera in the end and then when they all leave there's a cake with a candle left behind saying "Happy birthday"

Or to have shadows or random objects in the camera's move and not just the animatronics as the nights further progress along, seeing objects past by the camera's at close range, you could be looking down a hallway when suddenly a camera grabs it, swings it down and its one of the animatronics snarling at you, which then lets it go and then it returns to its normal position. Or you could be looking at an animatronic when you pull up a camera and its there for only a brief half second before it vanishes, and you know your mind is playing tricks on you and its really at another camera

And adding in auditorial hallucinations as time goes on, like in my case I'm constantly hearing voices and whispers dictating my actions prior and future, like this very second a voice is telling me "The doors not locked…..its not locked….." "The dogs are dead…..somebodies inside….the doors not locked…." etc right now since its 3AM and I'm downstairs in complete silence because I got shit on my minds (Which technically I'm not supposed to be in silence for mental health reasons)

You can have random whispers go at the character like "out…..we want out….." "Happy birthday…..", random children giggling/yelling etc to play on the protagonists understanding of the situation going on as he descends into madness, since he's sitting in a dark pizza joint after dark which constantly hosts birthday parties (I constantly for example hear angry animals/gunshots/things scraping along the floor/walls)

Anyways, that's just one schizophrenic person's point of view on how they would add horror to an open world game

The mechanic would be that in my case I can tell the voices are not real 99% of the time because often their pitches are wrong, like stuff is said off key etc

In an open world horror game this would be an indication between you having a hallucination and an actual thing coming at you

Why don't you just make your own horror game, like make a game based around everything your voices tell you and shit.

Name at least one horror that doesn't rely on jump scares to scare you.

You can't.

will that work with the pirated YOSE copy? because I'll be Goddamned if I'm going to buy state of decay again just to actually have the copy i paid for work properly

Yes, i personally tried. It also has compatibility patch for another mod, called "QMJS Extended Functions".

I can't remember any in Silent Hill 4. Granted it's been a while since I played it.

Also there's a difference between relying on them and using them sparingly when the mood is right

Well I dunno, its kinda hard to make a story out of it because its all entirely fucking random

Hell I'm shaving my head and one voice is telling me about the orbit of the moons around jupitor and another it reminding me current through a diode only flows in one direction

Because that wasn't a horror game at all.

Actually scratch that, the first dog in SH4 is a jump scare

Now one is talking about "A breaking point" and I'm getting thoughts about tractors

Lack of a mental filter sucks

You can climb that pyramid head

I just looked at my desktop picture I took of dead rising 4, I looked at the mistletoe and I started thinking of occupy wallstreet

I dunno what help I could be at making a story out of this experience, more so I could probably accurately show how a protagonist could go mad

Step 1: Write all that shit down.
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit

That shit looks amazing
Someone have played it? is it good? or its just a waste of time and space? because I have the New Vegas installer in a external HDD a friend of mine borrowed yesterday, and I'm really tempted to install it again if this mod is good

The only thing I can think of is at the start of the game the protagonist is exposed to some mega quantum event which shatters realty and the hallucinations/thoughts you're getting is experiences other you's are having in alternate ones, one of such was demons etc which escaped

And thus the game is you trying to avoid demon creatures who are trying to break into the rest of these realities one by one, and as the game progresses and you get further along less and less sane moments happen because they've taken over more and more realities which further affects you which lives in the "Real" reality

How come nobody sues them ?
If I were a lawyer I would specialize in calss action lawsuit against video game devs and make mad money seeing the amount of blatant abuse there is in this industry.
It's like nobody cares.

And then in your real/real reality you start seeing ppl around you suddenly become demon versions of themselves since reality is becoming one with the demon realm, and you further and further don't know who you can trust

Like say your girlfriend you show up and suddenly she's sprouted horns or some shit, but other than that she's 100% the same, which makes the game harder the further you progress because now demons could be hiding in plain site as you could think they're regular changed ppl when they're not

Eventually everything becomes demonic including you, and the end of the game is basically destroying the way they got there etc

You need both fallout 3 and new vegas to install it.

Haw, the ending to me would be terrifying to be honest

You beat the demons, and then everything resets and is back to normal and you're back in an unaltered reality with no hallucinations

And then you'd hear the protagonist starting to panic because he's gone so long with the hallucinations he doesn't know how to now live without them

I'm just bringing my own experience into that type of ending, because I often find myself very afraid something bad is going to happen when the hallucinations stop, and its just me in pure silence

Lived so long with the hallucinations to me something is incredibly wrong when they stop

what? why?

Noneuclidean paths for every player. As in, player 1 turns a corner in front of player 2, p2 gets to the corner and p1 is nowhere to be seen. Communications should likewise be affected, say voicechat only works if the characters are actually within earshot of each other. Or while both players are using hard to keep supplied, battery-hungry walkie-talkies.

This of course takes a lot of work and so I don't expect to see it implemented in any game ever.