Dangan Ronpa

I want off this wild ride

Other urls found in this thread:

lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/Update 146/
youtube.com/watch?v=0AaOjY0cBzg
animedreaming.tv/anime/danganronpa-kibou-no-gakuen-to-zetsubou-no-koukousei-the-animation/
youtu.be/z8DEHt-vgtw?t=53m6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Something looks off.

Hey weebs, what's the deal with this series? I saw the first game on Steam and I'm not sure if it's just a visual novel or an actual game.

Anyway, explain the appeal of this series to me, I'm curious.

I think the aniem style looks ugly, she actually looks chubby instead of the joke that she is

phoenix wright with murder and waifus

Maybe it's the brown as well?

But Phoenix Wright already has murder and waifus.

might be the brown

fair point

So it's like a detective VN? Do you have to collect and link evidence and shit like in PW? Is the story well written?

Her head is shaped like a heart.

It's battle royal, you and 14 other people are trapped, kill someone to get out. Gather evidence to stop the murderer from winning and repeat.

The story takes a sharp downward turn towards the end depending on who you talk to but the murders themselves are the highlight so everyone ignores it. The sequel continues on the downward turn but the murders are much better and they toss in a character that redeems the entire franchise by himself

Don't even bother, PW is better in literally every way

That's true for AA1 and 3 and the final case of 2, but the last 2 games have been extremely underwhelming

I just completed Dangans 1 and 2, haven't played that shooter they advertised in 2.

All in all, about two weeks it took, great ride. Both games had ANNOYING characters, when comparing to the other murder mystery series Phoenix Wright, it also has a shitload of ANNOYING characters. Is this somekind of Jap staple, to put so many exaggerated annoying characters in?

That said, Aohina and Chiaki foreva.

All in all, I liked 2 better because the ending twist had a bit more potential in it, and the return of Junko was done so fucking well, but both are good VN/mystery games.

If they only had less ANNOYING characters.

And every DR game has been mediocre at best.
Thank fuck they're abandoning the series in favor of Zero Escape

Don't listen to that faggot, as someone who played the first three Ace games these are great. I won't compare them siince in the class trials they have a limited retry, on any difficulty, but it's just so fucking well done and fun.

Anyone hating on it here is just a faggot for no reason other than Sunday night or some shit. Try it out, torrents easy to find. Less annoying than PW 2 and 3 for sure.

Pretty sure looks like last Zero Escape has been getting worse by every game, no idea what you're talking about.

Where as in DR 2 they pretty much sealed of any continuation chances, only that shooter in between and such can exist and can't have class trials either, so why do it.

I thought that Zero Time Dilemma was the last one

Ohio Godaimomo!
best girl reporting.
she's my waifu and you can't have her

You know what separates PW from DR?
PW trusted players to be smart enough to read something written upside down. DR held you back until it explicitly spelled it out for you. That's how dumb DR thinks its players are.

It's certainly not stopping them, they're just pawning it off with another shitty anime.

First game is probably the worst when it comes to story, Hope's Peak is portrayed as a perfect hopeful place and everything bad that happened in it is fault of the villains, the end goes retard, not the fun kind of retard, the kind of retard that makes you mad. Also the mysteries suck, I figured out the murderer for 4 out of 6 chapters before the trials even began, come the fuck on. But it did lay the groundwork for the rest of the series with funky twisted artwork and sweet as fuck soundtrack so it's still worth playing.

Danganronpa 2 is much, much better. Characters are more likeable, I figured out 0 murders before the trails, the story is much more cleverly meta and the end is the fun kind of retarded. And the artwork and soundtrack are still great.

Ultra Despair Girls is a third person shooter spin-off for PSVita only that's actually canon and it's easy as fuck but easily one of my favorite action games in terms of the experience because of how fucking nuts it is. Easily the darkest game in the franchise, there's some fucked up shit in there, recommended if you got a Vita.

There's also Danganronpa Zero, which is book duology prologue thing. It's a nice little read and it shows the start of when they started getting a handle on this shit.

Anime sucks balls, avoid it at all costs. I recommend pirating the first game and seeing if it is your thing before buying, it takes a special brand of autism to appreciate this series.

after Mia told us?

Except she didn't. Mia wasn't even there for the extra case in the first game

I'm sorry, Mia, Ema,Maya, Pearl, Fransiska, Edgeworth,take your pick. Granted DR1 having Kyoko and Togami basically spell it out was fucking annoying

Japs use katakana for english words and names, they aren't used to reading it everyday and thus even if they know them their brains are simply not used to it and won't immediately see them especially if quickly presented with another alternative, but they use roman numbers everyday, as such reading that as 11037 is perfectly reasonable and counts as a beginner tier puzzle for them even if it's baby easy for us.

The mysteries in the first game still sucks balls though.

I know, even on Mean I had one class trial question I couldn't figure out until I tried them all out, which was the gravel.

But damn fun, enjoyable and good games either way. PW suffered a lot from re-used assets and chars, especially the ANNOYING ones.

The mysteries in both games suck balls. There wasn't a single case where it wasn't totally obvious from the start who the killer was

We're done here.

Oh, and that written down argument? It was literally the first trial and a fucking tutorial at that, get off your high horse if there is one.

I already stated myself that they aren't hard.

1st game maybe, but fuck off with your faggot lies if you are claiming you figured out the killer in anything past case 2 on DR2

Don't mind that baiting faggot.

And the downright cliche story progression.
And the horrible characters.
And the mediocre soundtrack.
And the godawful character design.
And the poor visuals.
And the atrocious dub.

Fantastic audio quality on the original VA though. Also Junko's English VA is great, pity all the others are straight up bad.

prebear to get cucked nerdboy

They don't have to be hard. PW wasn't hard either. The difference is one of them trusted the player to figure things out while the other held their hand all the way to the finish line. It's insulting when a game treats you like an idiot

What
Case 3 was the most godawful transparent bullshit I've ever seen. The 4th didn't really give enough information at first, and I still wholeheartedly disagree with the 5th, but I was screaming at the screen as the characters walked into blatant trap after blatant trap.

If anything it's bad because it's the opposite. Every case they try to get you to think one classmate did it, then during the trial evidence pops up making it obvious who it is. I just stopped trying to guess and went along for the wild ride

Oh God this. So much for Super High School anything.

Nope, story has massive plot holes and the main antagonists motivation is literally summed up as LMFAO DESPAIR! It's just pathetic how horribly written it is. It feels like there's 5 different people writing and none of them have talked to eachother in years.
it's literally worse written than fucking Type/Moon.

So would you say it's worth a pirate because fuck giving NISA money

I pity the peasant who thinks any of the English translations for TM works are representative of Nasu's writing ability.

Chiaki is so adorable.

Pheonix Wright with minigames instead of just presenting evidence against testimonies.

Literally that.

Not to mention 5th case depends on a massive plot hole (Did I say the mastermind is the culprit, not the one who's manipulated into killing ? Never mind lol) to even work.

Ultra Despair Girls is a third person shooter spin-off for PSVita only that's actually canon and it's easy as fuck but easily one of my favorite action games in terms of the experience because of how fucking nuts it is. Easily the darkest game in the franchise, there's some fucked up shit in there, recommended if you got a Vita.
Ultra Despair Girls is pretty fucked up, but it's also horribly paced and nobody's likeable. Gameplay wise it's also pretty much Killer7 but not good.

I remember getting pretty mad at this.
Especially since Monokuma is always shown being severely autistic when it comes to rules.

Phoenix Wright with Teenagers and bears and executions. And minigames, like everyone else has already pointed out.
If you suspend your disbelief, it's actually pretty good.

What? He "forgets" the rules a bunch and people are constantly asking for clarifications to stop him sneaking shit past, pretty sure more than half the cases involve him essentially coming up with a new rule on the spot because of a loophole he didn't catch. He talks about sticking hard to the rules but he makes as many retarded mistakes as anyone else.

If someone had brought this up he would've had to stick to it.
Junko is supposed to be a genius.

Proof that this board is full of faggots with shit tastes.

The problem is not that Monokuma bent his rules, he was barely even involved in the 5th case. The problem is that they understood Komaeda's plan, and not one of them thought of saying "Hold the fuck on, why should anyone give a shit who threw the grenade ?" That's not guilt by any standards, and then it directly contradicts what Monokuma said in case 3. But no, they never bring it up, they accept Chiaki's guilt at face value and suck ultimate fuckwad's dick. They dropped the ball big time just for the sake of feels.

Is the DR3 anime out yet?

Then don't watch it fam, it's not like there's gonna be a huge twist or anything

The only way they can salvage this wreck of a series is if they somehow murdered Naegi or Kirigiri in the "finale".

I haven't played the VN and I don't plan to, I just want to jerk off to the super hot sluts.

Mid July, one episode of each half per week. But despair arc is going to be the cringiest bulllshit, I can feel it.

They already said Despair is going to be the fun route….well until the end I guess

Really wish that they had kept the beta designs for the characters. They looked more like actual students in a school.
lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/Update 146/

Best girl, by far.

As much as I'd like to see the DR2 cast in a calm school setting, but
Either they pull a major retcon or this is going to duck donkey dick to watch. Granted, they managed to retcon virtue's last reward into pointlessness so I can't put it past Spike Chunsoft right now.

You post that every time but I still agree. Too bad we can't do anything about it.

I think it's gonna be interesting to see how she convinced everyone to join her side. Especially that hope-loving faggot Komaeda.

Look mate, I do not believe for a fucking second you can unironically like Junko. She's edgier than that fucking oil drum furfag comic, with lolsorandumb XD bullshit added.
But it's obvious why he would join Junko, it's his entire motivation. You haven't played the damn games, have you ?

I liked Junko Until I realized I actually liked her sister. She's seriously bro-tier and that's a pretty winning smile.

Some bullshit about using despair to create hope, right? I haven't played DR2 in years.
I like her because she's pretty much anime Charles Manson. A crazy, charismatic genius who knows how to manipulate people into doing what she wants.
Also, if anyone is "lolsorandumb" in Danganronpa, it's Ibuki who constantly acts like a 14 year old tumblrina.

Is the PC or PSP version of Trigger Happy Havoc considerably better than the other?

PC is based on the vita version, which has an added waifu mode. The only thing I miss from the PSP version is that they snuck in ads to other chunsoft games in a few spots, which is replaced by Dangan Ronpa AE ads instead, not a huge loss but they were neat

I do not follow.

Yeah i remember those ads. Like Shinobido 2 a vita game being promoted on a fucking psp game.

>tfw Mukuro only wanted to protect Makoto's smile

Daily reminder "bad" ending is where she becomes Big Momma.

That's just your opinion, mate.
Personally, I find Junko's multiple personalities to be much more tolerable than Ibuki's constant "lol i'm so quirky and randum guizz XDD" shit.

All money on the Steam ports goes directly to Spike Chunsoft, the makers of DanganRonpa, but the translation is indeed the same as the NISA translation.

Do whatever you want, I'm not your father.

Mukuro is best Junko

Wait, what? How?

Wasn't it always pointless?

The greatest Junko

VLR was about preparing Sigma and Phi to enter the martian experiment to prevent Free the Soul to release radical 6. ZTD "reveals" that Free the Soul are good guys, them releasing radical 6 was just a plan B to save the world from an even greater (but never elaborated upon) threat, and plan A is, no joke, motivating the ZTD protagonists to save the world themselves. Basically, it turns the entirety of VLR into an extended wrong timeline game over.

Danganronpa 1 is the best in the series because as insane as it is, it's the only game that still had key animations and storyboarding from the original project which was absolutely better than anything we got (but sadly got gimped into Danganronpa)

Essentially the whole game leads you to view what the real case of things was. I don't have it anymore, but I once had a 4Chan pic of how the story was way more clever than people gave it credit for (before the Exodus).

Essentially, Junko is not a "grand mastermind" but a charming usurper. When Monokuma explains the technology she utilizes for the grand game of death it sounds like a child's daydream, and when she tries to explain anything else (like that giant air purifier in the science lab) it's very obvious that she doesn't know jack about dick.

Junko is retarded and batshit insane, but thanks to her charm she managed to get a hold of the main control system and just turned the security system in on itself, killing all the students inside. She didn't have any help in her "grand plan"–aside from her sister, who is a Black Water Merc. Junko didn't invent or manipulate anything or anyone else, she just used the tools of other people.

There was also speculation that she was somehow related to the school directly since she's rocking the Monokuma look and yet as creepy as that bear robot may be, it's actually part of the logo of the whole school (look at the eye). Consider also that the executions were in separate areas dedicated to particular activities which she just reused for murder purposes.

You also know that Junko was lying in the final trial. Seriously, she explicitly states that "poison gas will kill you if you leave", but it turns out that was a lie in the canonical view of the series. So the whole "apocolypse" reveal was actually in line with her deception the whole game to screw with the students.

The only thing that hurts that is Genocider agreeing that the "worst day ever" was legit, but it easily could have just been archetypical anarchy over one of the many hurricanes hitting Japanippon. Give a bad enough hurricane and you inevitably have looting etc.

Or do you honestly think that Junko managed to manipulate the world's population and change the face of Tokyo Tower, the Ifle Tower, Lady Liberty, etc.? Genocider never agreed that was real, just that the anarchy in the photos shown and the idea of a cataclysmic day was real.

It's far more interesting that way, and there's enough clues in how Junko/Monokuma acts and speaks on things to let you consider it. The story is confused and self-contradicting in many other areas, though, so meh.

All I know is that Danganronpa 2 has trash executions, lame characters out of Loony Toons skits and ruins the whole JUNKO'S WILD RIDE plot view by making the Monokuma invasion a real event, which is retarded beyond belief.

Despair Girls is fun to play but utterly retarded, and I have no doubt that the finale to the story will be shit, especially since they didn't even bother making it into another game.

Either Junko is a clever usurper with an insane ego and crippling hold over her sister
or
JUNKO IS LEIK THE STRONGESTEST SUPER VILLAIN EVER DUDE

You pick. The only game that gives you the option to choose is Dangan1, which is why it is superior.
Also the executions are way better (aside from Banchobitch)

best girl (that were alive to begin with)

i also honestly like the tsundere mahiru when she warms up to you…. then dies

Welp…

Steins;Gate was a better timeline story anyway, and it lampooned the whole crutch of VLR's screeching suspension of disbelief:
SCHRODINGER'S CAT SCHRODINGER'S CAT SCHRODINGER'S CAT SCHRODINGER'S CAT SCHRODINGER'S CAT

Glad I wasted hours of my life on VLR now, though. Really glad it was all for nothing.
This writer SUCKS

Can't we just have a Who Dunnit? murder game that doesn't evolve into some retarded grand plot of self-contradictory nonsense?

Also she had freckles. Girls with freckles AND a winning smile just can't be beat.

Help.

Something about the second game that bugged me was how Ultimate Luck was an actual thing that existed, rather than the giant "fuck you" it was in the first game.
vs

Exactly, that too.

well nagito ultimate luck is actually both a blessing and a curse. IF he didn't lie for every good thing happened to him there is at least twice the intensity of misfortune afflicting others and/or himself.

He actually say a meteor killed a terrorist that was on board of his plane when he was young BUT he lost his parents in the process

To ZTDs defense it was horribly rushed and had 3 different writers including Uchi. So naturally it became a bit of a mess.

I think basing your whole story on multiverse theories and overly complicated time loops makes the story a bit hard to get invested into.

Is Dangan2 that shit? Because I looked up executions on Youtube and I was surprised there was only one cool one.

Why did the original project seem a lot better than anything that came from it anyways?

It is a lot weirder than the first one. Personally I liked the characters from the first better, but I think it is more a matter of taste than anything objective.

So it's good luck/dumb luck vs. Monkey paw

assuming he doesn't lie yes

Actually no, Makoto and Nagito have the exact same luck, the only difference is that Nagito knows the rules and exactly how to exploit it while Makoto only just knew it exists and kept accidentally taking advantage of it

Fuck this shit.

Why was Mikan execution so fucking lame? The same series that has fuckers homerunned to death, turned into fucking butter, crushed by firetrucks, stomped by a huge stampede and thrown alive in a volcano, turns around and puts the bitch on a rocket and that's it? Even the intro execution on the first game (also with a rocket) was leagues above this.

pleb taste

From what I can tell, the original project was meant to be a severely grim and brutal Who Dunnit? with a lot of dark humor here and there.

The theme was about holding onto hope even amidst despair and the quiet theme was about a young person's graduating to become an adult and all the fear and betrayal they experience in that time as a youth (something like this is what the lead designer for the first game said in an interview).

They were originally going for something grounded despite the insanity, which is why the school looks dilapidated despite the cool tech and why the coloration was muted instead of ostentatious.

Eventually the promise of the executions were all too visceral in the earliest stages and the grim tone coupled with all that realistic brutality (notice that not only is it real blood, but chunks of teeth and flesh are flying everywhere AND his face is legitimately swollen and bruised in the first execution) would have made it difficult to market, so they toned it down a bit and went for WACKY

Along the way Monokuma became an actual bear instead of pic related, and more anime references via voice actors and scenes were added in for comedic nods.

They changed the blood to pink to avoid strict censorship when they have deaths like–well– crucifixion and the like, and they just continued from there.

You can tell that the original executions were from the beta animations since they are all (excluding the motorbike stupidity) very visceral and "real" compared to the deaths in the later installments.

Celestia's death by burning was clearly a reference to witch burning, and I have a feeling that they later added in Monokuma's firetruck slam to lighten the mood, because otherwise you have a teenage girl literally being burned alive at the stake.
This is the kind of thing you see in Dangan1, but not in Dangan2

By Dangan2 they went full retard and made everything as outlandish as possible because "lol it's a computer simulation anyway, see? No one even really dies kinda" and made Junko, a villain popularized by the public who enjoyed the first game, into a reoccurring mastermind villain for NO GOOD REASON.

NONE.

IT DID NOT HAVE TO LITERALLY BE JUNKO
AGAIN

TL;DR the original beta concept was very brutal, bold and twisted but it would have been way more difficult to market and the creators ended up having way more fun the more outlandish and WACKY they made the story and characters.

Danganronpa 2 is the creators having a lot of fun.

TOO BAD YOUR "FUN" MEANS NOTHING TO ME

GIVE ME THE NIGHTMARE FUEL "WHO DUNNIT?" THIS GAME WAS ORIGINALLY GOING TO BE YOU FAGGOTS!

I didn't get to pump the trap full of estrogen to give him some tits

Why?

gender bending is my fetish

I wouldn't have minded the "wacky" excutions in 2 if the juxtaposed it with the brutal outcome.

You have a girl being pumped full of christ knows what giving her an orgasm, that then makes the rocket shoot into space.
Make all that her hallucination as she ODs.

Or the guy trampled by animals- don't have him crawling around a little dusty like it's loony tunes- show the silhouette of his broken carcass.

I hate it when games go too edgy, but thinking how to improve the game isn't that hard.

Those suggestions would have been perfect, but that's the issue: wacky without brutality.

Yeah, it shows. How else can the big twist of Phi being Sigma's daughter have almost no payoff in their interaction ? But why would ZTD be rushed ? It's not like they were on a yearly release schedule.

because 999 wasn't as big a seller as DR, so SC wanted to get it out of development before (they assumed) it started to bleed money for them

Gameplay is point and click with Phoenix Wright style trials with minigames in them, but the story part is probably where the appeal comes from, for most.

They're murder mysteries with the backdrop of a high school that's trying to have all of the students who are best at a certain thing, like the kid who's best at cooking, or the one who's best at sucking dick, and there's these huge inconsistencies between the character and their talent, either to justify their knowing or being able to do something except when it'd be evidence in a murder case, which is also why the fandom exists in the first place, I'd bet. The best example is the villain being best analyst or such, which somehow allows them to also somehow have the abilities to manipulate, use machinery, and other bullshit presumably from "interpreting data."

correction it was trust/mistrust

I'm trying to force myself to finish Despair Girls before the animes start next week in case they reference things that happen in it but something tells me they wont because the events of DG seem completely pointless and uninteresting. The only parts of the game I've cared at all about were the short segments when Servant and Toko both first showed up and since then absolutely nothing of interest has happened with either of them. Turning Syo into an easymode powerup instead of an actual character is probably the single worst thing to happen narratively in the entire series.

Ah gotcha. I thought so but I didn't know for sure.
Thanks, user

Do we know who's handling the western localisation yet by the way?
I know it's normally NISA but their titles have been dropping like flies lately.

I don't think you need to worry about NISA fucking up Danganronpa because Spike Chunsoft has made it perfectly clear that they don't want their games censored, and they remain mostly untouched. How they got away with changing Genocider Syo to Genocide Jack is a complete mystery.

They probably couldn't get the voice actors to consistent pronounce Syo as Syo instead of mispronouncing it as Syo.

Well that's good that they still have them on a tight leash I guess, though I still feel nauseous giving money to nisa.

nice trips.
I think its her reactions and her attitude that elevates her, because I also dont like piercings but I cant her but love her.

can you give me a rundown of why you think ZTD is so shit?
its a competent game, if lackluster story wise.

youtube.com/watch?v=0AaOjY0cBzg

Hell yeah

Not him, but ZTD was basically fine until Delta's appearance.
1 - Zero Escape's main draw is the meta payoff. In 999 it was the dual screen narrative, in VLR it was the all branches form one coherent story. ZTD, for the first time, gives us control of three protagonists, and in doing so creates the role of an external entity that decides the fate of all three, including whether they betray each other or not. A competently written zero escape game would have eventually confronted the three teams against you, the player. Instead, "you" are just the antagonist fucking around with mind control powers, which is to say not you at all. There is evidence the player was intended to be the villain when delta is revealed with Sean pointing at the screen.
2 - The ending is an awful way to conclude the series. It basically does what VLR did, except worse and in the last game. Free the Soul wuz a good boy is the worst cop out, and circular timelines are bullshit.
3 - Even if you chalk that up to the writing team making an ill-informed decision, the force quit box timeline is simply incompetently written. There are no closure for the character arcs. All D-team does when realizing they're parents and child is a sterile group hug. Junpei and Akane don't have any significant conclusion. Eric never gets to fully realize he's a bigger cuck than Anthony Burch. The conclusions are left to fucking files, which aren't even good. That's dropping the ball no matter how you slice it.

NP, what's worse is that it makes a whole lot more sense if you remove hope/despair and replace it with trust/mistrust, literally the whole game stops being a retarded saturday morning cartoon tier of "FRIENDS R GUD" and many messages come a bit better.

Especially when you consider the most obvious crux of the game AND the gameplay elements (the bonding and then trial segments especially) all point to trust/mistrust being the central focus.

Maybe that's why they had to hammer in the HOPEvDESPAIR theme so viciously the whole dang game, because it really wasn't meant to be this story's central focus to begin with, so they have to overcompensate for jamming it in like that

But why change it, is my question.

i kinda liked the whole THE TRAGEDY mystery and then the "book" shit was revealed, what a load of crap.

what the hell? she is real or not?

What I don't get is, if danganronpa was originally intended to be so grounded, why the hell was Monokuma a thing from the beginning ?

DANGAN RONPA IS LITERALLY THE BEST ANIME I'VE SEEN.

A LITTLE BLACK AND WHITE TEDDY BEAR FORCES A BUNCH OF STUDENTS TO LIVE IN A LOCKED-DOWN SCHOOL WITH HIM FOREVER, BUT THE CATCH IS THAT THE STUDENTS ARE FORCED TO KILL EACH OTHER.

AFTER EVERY KILLING, THE STUDENTS HAVE A TRIAL WHERE THEY INTERROGATE EACH OTHER AND SEE IF THEY CAN FIND THE KILLER. IF THEY SPOT THE KILLER, THE KILLER IS EXECUTED, IF THEY FAIL ON CATCHING THE KILLER, EVERYONE BUT THE KILLER IS EXECUTED.

FUCKING BEST ANIME EVER.

animedreaming.tv/anime/danganronpa-kibou-no-gakuen-to-zetsubou-no-koukousei-the-animation/

The first and last half hour are pretty much the only parts that matter. Nagisa seems to matter as well but the entire thing is disconnected and only sets up why certain elements aren't mentioned in other games

Because the creator was primarily inspired by the SAW films and wanted a creepy proxy puppet for the mastermind of the game.
Seriously.
Also because he thought it'd be clever to get Doraemon in on the project. He has a thing for making links and references to anime via voice actors and their roles–it was part of the reason why fans of the Japanese original versions hated the EngVA cast so much, because the English actors weren't part of the same nods and winks. Ex. Peko in Dangan2 being voiced by Sailor Moon in Japanese.

Anyway, it's grounded in respect and comparison to what Danganronpa became later on, mate. Even the beta concept had the insane baseball stoning to death out of nowhere.

But the WACKY was turned up to 11 in Danganronpa and then Dangan2 hiked it up higher, and then Despair Girls is basically a fever dream made real.

What we got of the beta may be grounded in respect of what we got, but if Monokuma was such a central thing, it was always going to go wrong. Especially if a Doraemon callback was the entire point. Clearly the guy in charge had over the top anime on his mind.

Again, this is true as I see it, but even so the original concept was much closer to the kind of title people on my end of things really would prefer: simple Who Dunnit? premise with unique style, interesting characters and a sequence of equally interesting murders to solve until the final case where you work together to find the mastermind.

It's a problem when the WACKY is given a greater emphasis than the bloody, when the central focus is shifted HARD for no apparent reason but perhaps to fit in some kind of motivation for the villain and some grand reveal for the final act–which inevitably is either
1. world is destroyed
2. world is fake
3. timelines

It seems like the writers for these stories can't just make the villain's motivation be simple revenge or mania.

Hell even Lost Dimension did the world destroyed/timeline thing! I doubt Danganronpa was going to have an apocolyptic reveal from the get-go just going by how poorly hamfisted it was in the game we got, but even if it was it still would have been atrocious.

TL;DR Monokuma, anime references, in-jokes and dark humor was always going to be there but the end result was that the tone of the game would use these elements to unnerve and/or give some needed levity to an otherwise utterly brutal story about teenagers murdering each other and getting mangled for it.

But then those elements, which were the paprika to the grim story, were written to overshadow the grim tone of the story, making the whole thing a joke that intermittently has references to cannibalism, rape and necrophilia. What?

Those dark elements feel alien, most especially in Dangan2, because the WACKY took precedence and anime references DAMN ANIME REFERENCES
CRAP WAS NEVER CLEVER OR FUNNY TO BEGIN WITH!

Anyway, yeah, the original would have been more interesting and coherent but less marketable.

Found this video giving way more detail and correcting some mistakes I made in assumptions.

This seems like the real story behind why we got Danganronpa instead of
DISTRUST

Spoiler: The creator's reasoning is stupid and he cared more about marketability than content

Junko shoulda just stuck with the edgelord supreme personality; that way she could spew poison about everyone and everything without it being played off as brevity.

and even then his parents getting killed got turned into luck because it turns out that his parents left him a fucking fortune in their wills

phoenix wright but more anime

Because putting a Gorilla on trial isn't "anime"…

No but really, we should make a Distrust VN

Isn't the other way around? DR will continue and ZE just ended.

Honestly never in my life I have encountered a person who liked DR1 over DR2, except for the guy you quoted.

It would be pretty easy to get started with RenPy, but you would still need

1. A good artist that can animate as well
2. A good musician
3. A good writter that can handle doing a lot of text for the million different lines for each character is going to have since the story can now change

None of these are easy to keep motivated and/or paid for the duration of the development cycle of an indie game. And if you ain't gonna have good art, good music and good writting you might as well not even start.

I've been recently diagnosed with a certain issue that, coupled with another issue, is likely to leave me out of work for some time to come.

I've also been writing original stories for going on two decades and I'm currently working on a novel.

I have nothing to do but read the Bible, play games and go on the computer to shitpost here or write.

I can handle the helm for the writing, though it would be a collaborative effort with everyone involved.

If someone else has the wherewithal for the artwork/character designs and music we could pull it off.

That being said, we will also need a competent programmer or a well made and easy-use VN creator.

WHAT.
HOW? WHAT THE FUCK HOW? SHE'S A GODDAMNED AI, SHE NEVER HAD A PHYSICAL BODY IN THE FIRST PLACE WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

She really is the best girl in all of Danganronpa. I just don't understand though….

I don't have a vita, can I just watch the cutscenes out of youtube or there is important plot points in the gameplay sections?

FROM THE RETCON MASTERS THAT BROUGHT YOU:

VLR AND ZERO TIME DILEMMA

AND SUPER DANGANRONPA 2

AND DESPAIR GIRLS

Pic related

Komaru fucking blows as a protagonist, Toko's been pretty bad so far too but I can't help but think that's because Komaru is so retarded they couldn't let Toko be like she used to or nothing would get done at all.

A. She gets killed at the end

B. This is the second attempt at the neo world program

C. She never died and she's just hiding, the AI from the second game was guesswork, buy our merchandise and import the stage play

take your pick

my nipponese isn't supremely excellent, this isn't a picture of DR v3, is it?

If so then I'm super confused because Chiaki doesn't real

ZTD retconned like its life depended on it, but VLR mostly just added new elements outside the scope of 999. They came out of fucking nowhere, but they didn't actually change the continuity. The only actual retcon I can think of is maybe Ace being from Free the Soul, and even then it doesn't impact much.

I liked Dangan Ronpa 2 way better than 1. The cast was way better, the murders had more interesting setups, and it felt like there was some pretty real tension going on without loads free time. The Funhouse was a top-tier case.

Shame the final trial vs Junko was so disappointing compared to the first game's. That shit was seriously hype, but all the "AM I GLAD JUNKO'S STUCK IN THERE AND THAT WE'RE OUT HERE AND THAT HE'S HOPE AND THAT WE'RE STUCK IN HERE AND THAT WE'RE IN THERE AND I JUST REMEMBERED WE'RE OUT HERE, WHAT I WANNA KNOW IS, WHERE'S DESPAIR?" seriously killed the mood.

They dropped the ball including Kirigiri instead of Fukawa, though.

Anyway, I'm gonna dump beta art.

From left to right: Sakura, Maizono, Leon, Asahina, Naegi.

Celes, Ishimaru, Chihiro, Togami, Kirigiri.

Hagakure, Fukawa, Chiaki, Hajime, Mikan.

Nidai, Komaeda, Mahiru, Komaeda again, Pekoyama.

Kuzuryuu, (I actually have no idea who this is supposed to be; the runes give her title as the Super Duper High School Sinner), Togami, Ibuki, and Souda.

Teruteru (No I'm not fucking joking; from what I understand, when the concept artists came up with this, the director asked if he was the MC, so they changed it), Sonia, Sonia, Saionji (somehow she's a lot more bearable-looking in dark colors), and ORE-SAMA WA TANAKA GANDAMU.

Also Junko, Oowada, and Yamada.

I don't normally consider myself to be a homogay but god damn

sinner a cute

wew

From what I can tell, the Sinner eventually became Ibuki, because I don't have any beta art for her anywhere. The titles may be partly figurative, too, considering the one listed for Komaeda is "Death God."

What is the meaning of that picture?

Anyways Ibuki turned out less qt then but pretty interesting looking, same goes for Teruteru. I don't think his over the top sexual lines would have been nearly as entertaining if he was actually attractive.

The picture I just posted came from an old halfchan Holla Forums meme where people would do dumb shit with some Arthur comic maker.

Oh hey that reminds me.
REMEMBER 11037 HAJIME, IT'S A VERY IMPORTANT NUMBER
NOT AS FAR AS THE FINAL TRIAL IS CONCERNED THOUGH

>"AM I GLAD JUNKO'S STUCK IN THERE AND THAT WE'RE OUT HERE AND THAT HE'S HOPE AND THAT WE'RE STUCK IN HERE AND THAT WE'RE IN THERE AND I JUST REMEMBERED WE'RE OUT HERE, WHAT I WANNA KNOW IS, WHERE'S DESPAIR?"

I will never forgive them for not making this real

You forget

There's way more but I forget a lot of it in the face of the overwhelming retconning of ZTD.

I will say this: ZTD makes VLR a good game by comparison, and I hated VLR in comparison to 999 but WOW. Shame that whole game was an elongated advertisement for a game that just abrogates nearly the whole point of its existence.

The sinner is Akane, from what I recall.

For it to be a retcon, there needs to be anything substantial to cancel. All-ice was always a throwaway thing that was out of place and a blemish on 999's ending. To be perfectly honest, turning the final shot's woman into a thoroughly unrelated NPC and dismissing all-ice as a silly rumor was the best decision they could have made. This plot thread was simply just dead on arrival.
I will give you this one, if only because I'm not positive on how 999 treated it. Did the gathering of morphogenetic field users increase the abilities of all of them ? If so, yes, it was retconned in VLR, if handwaved as Sigma and Phi's power taking precedence. And it's got fucking nothing on ZTD making morphogenetic field and Sigma/Phi's multiverse rememberance the same goddamn thing
Now you're just overblowing things up. It was just used to justify the AB game having no good answer in order to score cheap feels. It was absolutely not a central plot point, just a weak-ass patch over a secondary issue.

Now I'll be the first to admit I'm the VLRIDF, and wail on me if you must, but at least you should take solace in the fact that ZTD didn't retcon into pointlessness a game you actually liked.

Remembering different timelines was always associated with the morphogenetic field though, that was the explanation for how Akane did what she did in 999.

It was a very blatant and skull shattering retcon either way.
Though I do agree that Ice-9 was retarded.

Yeah, that was why the experiment included a bunch of kids who were transmitters and others who were receivers; the greater the stress and the greater the number, the more potent the power became.
That's what I recall, anyway, as part of the reason all those kids were together in that test. It's been years though.

>nd it's got fucking nothing on ZTD making morphogenetic field and Sigma/Phi's multiverse rememberance the same goddamn thing
Oh, dude, listen ZTD is Zero Time Dilemma, as in "We have a Dilemma! We took Zero Time to produce this HORSEFECES OF A CONCLUSION"

Mate, it was THE go-to patch over EVERY issue, be it bodily time traveling, why your decisions in the past would somehow affect the decisions of others in the timeline, why OldBitch was in the suit instead of NotYou where in every other timeline it was different, and almost everything regarding the whole plot of the game and why the characters couldn't just tell you WHAT HAPPENED IN THE OTHER FACILITY THO BECAUSE SCHRODINGER'S CAT MAAAAAN!

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a jerk but aside from everything regarding Luna and the whole character of old Junpei/Tenmyoji, everything about VLR was a drain on my brain.

A lot more fun than anything SpikeyChun has produced since, though. I'll give it that.

…That's brutal, come to think of it.
I'm so sorry, user. But…hey…

at least this means that you can imagine a better scenario as an alternate timeline for VLR because it technically didn't sorta kinda happen because, thanks to ZTD, it's SCHRODINGER'S CAT

Best Ending, confirmed.

Nah, bullshit, Morphogenetic field is about communication from sender to receiver. Akane saw into the future because she, a receiver, latched onto Junpei, a sender, in the moment of her death. Sigma and Phi can just remember shit from the multiverse, it's completely different. Until ZTD.

I replayed VLR just before playing ZTD, it's all fresh in my mind, so let me correct your hyperboles.
Akane wasn't in the armor in the Phi ending because of quantum uncertainty, it was because in all other timelines she was too dead to take Kyle's place in the armor. That is literally what she says.
There is no bodily time traveling at any point. There just isn't. It's 100% consciousness transference. Did the USA version change it or some shit ?
I don't even understand what you're trying to say here. What other facility ? Dcom ?

Understand, I don't hold VLR as a perfect game or anything, the AB game is mostly cheap tricks, it's so far removed from 999 it's barely a sequel, and the story itself is a prequel. I get why you would be cross about it, I really do. 999 just doesn't appeal to me as much.
Still, this is all a gentleman's disagreement, the superiority of the Luna ending gets everyone on the same page. At least ZTD did good in regard to that, as superficial as it was.

Junpei was also able to remember shit from the multiverse in 999 though, it's how the code from the Safe ending lets you open the coffin. As far as I can remember nothing ever contradicted that just being morphogenetic field shenanigans.

What was it called again?

ON THE BONE MEAT
MEAT ON THE BONE
BONE THE MEAT ON
ON MEAT BONE THE

You played the game in English, right?
How'd you not pick up on this bit:
youtu.be/z8DEHt-vgtw?t=53m6s
Around the 55min mark of the video.
Sorry for the faggots

Kyle:

Alice:
Clover:
Alice:

Clover:
Alice:

Kyle:

Alice & Clover:
SCHRODINGER'S CAT! DON'T QUESTION IT! SHRDOINGER CATS!

DAMN DAMN THIS GAME

I had a pretty good giggle there

I could see them pulling C

god damn I hated her english voice, I spent the entire game wishing she'd get smashed by a train. I didn't have room on my memory card for the fucking 2GB Jap Voices (free) DLC though.

MUH DICK

the hangman's gambits in DR2 were doubly fucktarded compared to the ones from the first game.

You will never rest your head on Chiaki's lap as she melts all your troubles away with her voice
WHY LIVE

Wut? I didn't post that image.

She does have a killer body.
She's an AI, so she's designed to have a hot body

If it's any consolation, Monaca is pretty annoying in Japanese too.

I like it.
I also like those digits

She really is the best.

I was curious about your image…that explains it though.

Not much of one, but at least I didn't miss anything then. Of course, with Nagito saving Monaca at the end of UDG, saying that he'll raise her to be a better Junko than Junko ever was, so that she could be defeated by an even greater hope. All that to say, it's pretty obvious if "Junko" shows up in the new Danganronpa series that's gonna air, it's obviously gonna be Monaca.

Whatever facility ZTD was supposed to take place in where Sigma was supposed to stop Free the Clones' plot.

Again, this is about the ending of the game where you go asking Phi what's happening, get ziltch from "Zero" and Akane basically tells you

Or to literally put it:

how bad is the censor?

It's the second time it happened to me in a couple of days.
First time was uploading a translated manga to /monster/
The first two pages got replaced with images of big titted oni
I was considering leaving the post as it was and putting it down to an act of Ammit