How to Survive Indiepocalypse in 5 Easy Steps by Vince Weller (Age of Decadence lead)

irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7211.0.html

Any thoughts on this?

I think it's nice to see an actually successful developer say the trick to making your game sell is to make something people want, even if it's a niche. Really refershing compared to the people whining their walking simulators about transexual otherkin don't sell.

What does that even mean?
The only the time I've heard this used is by tiny devs who think their games doing badly mean the indie scene is going to crash or something.

Basically. There's now way too many games for people to bother with your game if it's shit, which pisses off the clique who feel entitled to your money to no end.

it's a little more than that. The fact is there's a bubble in indie game development right now. Fucktons of BBT-inspired quasi-nerds coupled with SJW whiners flooding the market with mobile trash and excremental art and virtue signaling"games" that are expected to be taken seriously. The bubble will soon burst and only the wily will survive

the real problem is that this is a dangerous time for an ambitious newcomer to game development to launch. At best they can look forward to being crowded out by the grand clique of indie faggots, and can probably more realistically look forward to being accused of misogyny and rape over something they never said or did.

Weller's tips are about how to evade the bullshit, get noticed, and outlast the bubble

Age of Decadence sounds pretty fun.
Too bad Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity have forever soured me on isometric viewed games.

AoD is ass, savescum centered bullshit rng gayme

This
I really wanted to like it but holy fuck, the entire game was
don't even get me started on the rng in combat
it's just a shit game made by the type of sadist gm that any fa/tg/uy knows who I'm talking about, the faggot that thinks is hilarious to constantly throw out 20d checks with

git gud

how do I get good at rolling virtual die

Worst part of it is that the so praised "roleplaying" boils down guessing which skill you need before the next patch of new skill points. Half the time you can't even know what the fuck the player character is planning so good luck having enough "skill" to guess right.

AoD is a piece of shit, which should be obvious from its reluctance to actually letting the player into any gameplay.

Focus on a character build. 90% of players problems with AoD is that they can't accept the game doesn't support jack-of-all-trades RPG design. People are just too used to games where they can do (and are expected to) everything.

BBT = BattleBlock Theater?

Granted, I've always loved what The Behemoth's put out, and I really hope they and Newgrounds keep chugging along for the next decade on.

Nigger, stop being a retard and play your fucking role.

I agree with what the guys saying, the fact I've got only a few strings to my bow makes me sick.
And by the time I learn those skills I'd have gotten a part-time job- if I'm lucky.
So thats even less time to work on it…

Just make a text game. Good RPG systems don't need graphics to carry them.

user there's like a million of those out there, and none of them are interesting in the slightly, text games are the 2016 version of 2014's "indie 2d platformer with ebin retro grafix"

But earlier on:

So control your budget- but limit it or you won't make money for the next game.
Oh, and odds are you're gonna make a buck 50 at best.

How the fuck does this help?
Cheaply made games look cheap. You're not gonna make enough money on an RPG Maker game with default sprites and assets to make a game better than that.
Only reason Undertale got away with it was thanks to showing hipsters retro first person RPG battle screen with "wacky" options.

Unless you find someone to make GOOD assets for CHEAP, how do you profit on your first game?

So if within my first two releases there's a bad bug- because I don't have the funds to hire play-testers- I'm done?

If it wasn't for the fact Studios don't hire anyone who hasn't worked for another company, I'd say it'd be safer working for a bigger dev for a few years to start.

There are still problems; hipsters & AAA or not, but the fact money is so tight and NO ONE wants to risk buying even an average game is gonna be one of the reasons the industry crashes.
We need something like entrepreneurs- not to invest in amateurs, but more people willing to try amateur titles, offer advice and basically give the smaller people assistance to help nurture the few good seeds into something that'll replace AAA.

Yes, I too wish we could have nice things.

In AGDG threads, I always get told to try YoYogames Game Maker.
Allegedly, it's great to start with.

Not to mention once all your shit starts clicking together and "coming to life" it feels good.

Try it.

agdg says a lot of things, but so far i haven't seen a single complete game from them.

i even made a thread about it in their board a couple days ago, and they told me they had a lot "in development" but none finished.

Age of Decadence is a really underrated CRPG.

That cyberpunk barman game (not the one made by SJWs) was from there.

i've seen that thing floating around steam

if you like stories and waifus I've heard its good.

But you also have to keep patrons talking, to keep them buying drinks, to make enough money each month.

So its Recetear but with social stuff instead of jewing and dungeon raiding.

Can I fug the waifus?

I heard the game was made by one of us, so I assume the amount of SJW shit in the game is nonexistent, right?

user, you cant make a game in less than a year…

It's set in a post-apocolyptic future where "white knights" go around and kill people who are causing problems.

Many NPCs bitch about them, and talk about issues like growing a thicker skin.

This is only going by the trailer mind you.
No idea on the sex (implied or show tastefully), but theres a girl living in your apartment, and you chat to her as well.

i thought the cuckchan /agdg/ migrated to here.

The indiepocalypse is a strange thing because the vast majority of games getting thrown into the garbage pile are genuinely garbage. There was never a chance for them to succeed because they weren't good in the first place.

How many tower defense and RPG maker games do people really want to play? How many twine games are written even remotely well enough to be worth even a few cents? How many amateur visual novels have any kind of audience to begin with?

And then you've got the walking simulators and the post-modern shit that pink-haired indies are shitting out. Does anyone want to pay for a game where you just stare at some patterns and listen to noises? Of course not!

What about a game where you do some mindless tedious tasks while simulating a fake AIM client that eventually culiminates in a poorly acted sex scene between the narcissistic dev and her beta numale faggot friend?

Several things contributed to this erroneous belief that there was ever any kind of indie boom that would guarantee every small studio a gorillion dollars.
1) Disingenuous journos aggressively promoting the games of their friends and fuckbuddies, creating the illusion of a favorable public opinion for utterly shit games like Gone Home.

2) Awards given by said journos at industry events bolstering this idea that indies were the best thing happening to gaming

3) Overhyped kickstarters getting hundreds of thousands of dollars for half-assed concepts by underskilled teams

4) Championing of further SJW shit, making people believe that gaming was "growing up" and that the new wave of best selling games would come from indies making half-assed "narrative experiences" and walking simulators.

5) Youtuber bait. That shit made a bunch of devs believe that their games needed to by hyper gimmicky and ridiculous just to catch the attention of the Markipliers and Pewdiepies of the internet, which flooded the market with zombie games, amnesia clones, and shit that wouldn't pass as a flash game on newgrounds circa 2003.

go the sprite route if you have to. i grew up playing final fantasy II on the SNES and love any chance to go back to that style of graphics as well as combat

i've actually been kicking an idea around for years about such a game but sadly have no fuckin idea how I could make it any better than the mountains of RPG maker trash that is already out there

I think it's fucking great. Once it implodes it will basically take a large percentage of leftist parasites along with it, now too bitter and butthurt to bother with vidya, out looking for new pastures to Jew.

Have you not played any of the older games that were actually really good?

I think its more the exhaustion.

People know there are good TV programmes, films and comics but its working through all the trash to find them.
So they look to the indies and- as you say- get pretentious crap.

It's consumer exhaustion.

I want to make an RPG to. Every time i brought it up in an AGDG thread: Avoid RPG maker (market issue and the language isn't best for begginers) use Yoyo Game Maker.
Gonna try it one day.

Don't forget their names. No industry deserves to have them inflicted upon it.
Once they start to lose power, run them out of the industry, slander the bastards until they- or any who share their ideals above entertainment- are unemployable.

Then turn on the shitty devs.

Mate, given half the chance I'd gas them along with their families, but if the alternative is for me to suffer them, or to offload them on some other chap, I'm gonna chose for someone else to suffer them every time.

Not like there's any industry/hobby out there they haven't shat up already anyway.

You can always start out with shitty sprites and get something better later on. Sprites in an RPG should pretty much be replaceable at any point in time anyway. You shouldn't have anything that depends on a specific sprite. Its not like an RPG needs perfect hitboxes or anything.

Perhaps from the blitz of constant INDIEINDIEINDIE bullshit, but the fact of the matter is that most indie games have no sold very well. Not even the most overwrought, non-stop, constant exposure.

Gone Homo, even after winning multiple high-profile GOTY awards, going on sale numerous times, and getting added to several humble bundles only sold around 250k units in its lifetime of several years.

For a game with that much exposure, that's fucking sinfully bad.

Thanks to a legion of apathetic tards like you who would rather dump your problems on some unsuspecting victim over fixing them.

It does though, but only if you are rly gud.

Heavy metal and BDSM both told them to fuck off.

Really, the ideal is to expose them until they can't survive in politics or business.

I'm about to buy AoD after having enjoyed Underrail and Serpent in the Staglands. Is it a game in the same vein?

It's an oldschool CRPG
It's pretty top tier

Well, for 15$ I can't really go wrong anyway.

Risk of Rain's dev was from agdg. Also Va-11 Hall-A, like other anons have mentioned.

Yes. There's some gay characters (including the main char) but it's not ROM-tier pandering. Word of warning: if memes trigger you, you'll have a tough time getting through the 1st chapter.

There's no sex. There's a lot of conversations about sex, but no actual ero scenes.
Wrong. Kinda. That's the main character. She talks to her cat, though.

Well, fucking dropped.

It's more like classic fallout. Except the dialogue system is so ridiculously extended it's basically a choose-your-own-adventure game with hardcore (but avoidable) combat segments now. Environment interaction is sadly at a minimum and for all the choice and consequence, the game is pretty damn linear in how it guides you down quest lines. But you do have a ton of decisions that can change how you do quests, change who wins, change your quests, change your faction, and so on, which is a lot more than most RPGs offer.

Whatever the fuck you're talking about, I don't want it.

Vince has already admitted to such faults, and has said his next game (something he's been talking about for years) is going to address such issues and make the game far more open ended.

BAZINGA

If you're making a combat build, I would strongly recommend picking up Crafting skill to make your own superior gear and 2 ranks of alchemy for healing salves.

>Worst of all, don’t guard your stories and design ideas because someone might steal them. Yeah, Bethesda will decide to postpone The Elder Scrolls 6 and steal your shitty totally awesome ideas instead.

Pretty stupid comment to make considering the most successful indie game made to date was one guy stealing another guy's idea. No of course Bethesda aren't going to steal anyone also long as they are sitting on safe-bet cash cows, it's the opportunists like Notch you have to be wary of.

Granted, that was a demo months before the game was released but that's fucking retarded, did they fix it?

Yes, but when giving advice to players so bad they assume the bad is poorly designed because they couldn't hack it, telling them they can do X if they're good is a really great way to make them fuck up even harder.

he's a decent kind of guy

That's bad luck. If any games are capable of turning someone off isometric games forever it's probably those two. Pillars had the ingredients for a good game, I think, only the cooks turned out to actually be boring cucks cosplaying as industry legends or some shit. Fuck obsidian forever.

They did rebalance a lot of mechanics afterwards.
Shields are OP as shit now too.

But to be honest, if you're going soldier, make sure you specialize as fuck into one or two things. This game requires a LOT of min-maxing if you're going into the combat route.

I didn't really have a lot of trouble in my second playthrough. On the first I essentially fucked myself in the boatmen questline and couldn't progress, so I remade the same character and started anew. Once I focused a bit more on 2 skills (bows+evasion OP) I cleaved through the game.
And even then, some combat encounters were too much for me, those are the one's I had to give up on and move on.
Which is fine, since the story accomadtes for that too. All I missed was the Power Armour.

Dodge got nerfed rather heavily iirc. These days if you go dodge you better have a Crafting skill so that you can put some serious armor behind it (ie. lightly armored dodge builds do not work). Otherwise it's going to suck massively.

I've done an armored Dodge+1H Spear build for the attacks of opportunity though. It works pretty well.

How many people do you think really know how Minecraft started?

Infiniminer didn't have the mass appeal to autists that Minecraft had. The basic game concept was apparently not enough because then Infiniminer would have been the hit Minecraft was. The autism was what really sold the game.