Smash Bros Thread - What the Fox is Going on? Edition

>What's your favourite stage? How about your favourite items?

The last thread fell off the catalogue since we didn't have much to talk about, but What the Fox has been extremely interesting so far and I'm looking forward to top 8 tomorrow. This is the first time in a while Hungrybox has gone into top 8 in losers bracket (assuming he beats Westballz, of course, and who the fuck knows at this point).

There's more, of course, but I'll leave that to the inevitable highlight reels. What are your predictions for Sunday?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/f0mmejdmbigqlmx/Holla
smashladder.com/blogs/view/26nj/2016-06-24/a-few-words-about-dolphin-5-0-and-you
docs.google.com/document/d/1GFa-h0wJ-m8fZ5o3DqvgWcbmBfdoKDkNZQg_XGWGuqY/edit?pageId=107009684650442418200
evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssbm_c616.html
twitter.com/NintendudeSSB/status/754168083900567553
twitter.com/NintendudeSSB/status/754171546147577856
twitch.tv/mang0
clips.twitch.tv/mach1alex19/FragileLouseTheTarFu
wiki.teamliquid.net/smash/EVO_2016/Melee/Singles_Bracket
sourcegaming.info/2015/07/10/sakurai-didnt-say-that/#[1]
youtube.com/watch?v=Pkok9lIUAxs
meleeonline.net/
twitter.com/nicole_npomba/status/755279475944763392
twitter.com/LiquidHbox/status/755543331921354752
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

God damn it feels good to be alive.

HOLY FUCK THOSE FALCON ON PUFF COMBOS

WIZZY IS A FALCON GOD

give me the memes

Say no more.

Peach
Peach
Mario Power Tennis
Peach's Anus
Royal Ass Lube
I've been saving a load for 3 days

Is it happening?

WHY JASON

ITS 2-2

YOSHIS IS GOOD FOR MARTH

Ahh, M2K…

meme

Part of the fun is that if M2K had won, HBox would've gotten 6th for the first time in who knows how long.

HOLY FUCK

LOSERS BRACKET M2K 3-0'D HBOX

THE KING IS BACK

HUNGRYBOX ON SUICIDE WATCH

MEW FIVE KING

i need your best "leaks". preferably with ridley

Great, I stuck around for the shit tourney (CEO) and missed the good one. What a way to celebrate America.

This is a tourney thread. Go to the regular shitty smash threads for garbage posts.

this is the regular smash thread

Whoever's writing the script for both melee AND smash 4 is doing an amazing job right now

Is it weird that I find it Ironic that Samurai always avoids putting in nintendo characters from fighting games like Custom Robo and Joy Mech Fight and constantly downplays the idea of smash being a competitive fighter, yet puts Ryu into smash. It's almost like he doesn't even wanna work on the game.

this is the normal smash thread you uncultured swine

kekurai is japanese todd howard

This is just a Smash thread, fucko.

The game is done - the hell do you need leaks for?

He's always been a flip-flopping fuck.

he's really fucking annoying, I wish they would get rid of the fucker and replace him with Harada. but Nintendo is fucking retarded.

Anyway does anyone wanna play Project M 3.6 on Stable Dolphin 5.0?

Some fresh memes.

I also need to keep the thread alive to make some shitty OC.

I'm still waiting for that user making the Holla Forums builds for PM and Melee SD.

Does anyone here replace some of the music in PM? If so, what are some good tracks for battlefield or the menu screen?

Marth
Doc Mario
Melee, Project M and a bit of Sm4sh
Fountain of Dreams
I've been trying to improve my dash-dance game by throwing in wavedashes, also my l-canceling. I found that spamming the L or R button works fine as long as I don't over do it and end up shielding. Downairs seem to be the easiest to l-cancel.
I wanted to try maining Fox, but I'm too autistic to learn how to use his shine properly, and he's too much of a fast-faller.

look at this shit, the character boxes on the sides aren't even aligned right. nintendo would never waste character slots on japanese only characters and old characters no one cares about like ice climbers. what kind of idiot would believe this shit lmao

I replaced some of FoD's tracks with music from various RPGs (Final Fantasy, SaGa Frontier/Romancing SaGa, Wild Arms 2), and I replaced Battlefield with the training music from Smash 64 and some Cave Story tracks.
It's piss easy to replace/import tracks.

I'd like to if I had a GCN controller adapter.

Don't see why people can't use the other builds in the meantime.

Best combo vid coming through

Do you know what the link to the stream is?

Nothing is greater in this world than nine-ing people.

For WhatTheFox? The videos are on ShowdownSmash's YouTube channel.

It already happened? Anyways thanks for the info.

Well, yeah. I made this thread like a week ago.

Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Snake, and Little Mac
If I had the DLC, I would also main for fun Ryu. I only play for fun and enjoyment, although the idea of competing against others and the field's reward through cheap characters hard work and dumb infinities/mindless stratagems discipline is really something.

SSBB and SSB4
Melee is a tumor and I have no need for viable forms of autism.
Happy that SSB4 is starting to become modded though.

Anything without flat surfaces trigger me. You see, I'm a cubist after playing Mac for so long.
Smash orb is nice, but some final smashes need work or replacing. Assist trophies are cool because they give light to some niche characters.

Oh oops my b.

Might as well keep it alive for now, since it's tournament season

Nigger, I haven't even used one of those in nearly 8 years and even I know it's called a smash ball

nigga do you wanna argue geometry with me?
I've read the full Mein Kampf of geometry m8.
If I had a fedora, it'd be made up of right triangles, rectangles, and octagons.
I probably have a square dick, but one set of parallel sides are longer than the other.
And it's cylindrical.
Fucking non-polygon conformists

that feel when your dick isn't PU-aligned

anyone good at shop wanna take a crack at this?

it'd be pretty funny, armada holding mang0 like that.

idk how I leveled up with gimp

dropbox.com/s/f0mmejdmbigqlmx/Holla Forums%20netplay.rar?dl=0
couldnt get some minor things to work but there.

was released on the last day/night of CEO

smashladder.com/blogs/view/26nj/2016-06-24/a-few-words-about-dolphin-5-0-and-you

wait shit, is this the one with the extra characters?

Noice

Went to the local hobby shop today and just destroyed anyone who came my way.

Not very impressive at all but it felt good to actually be able to beat a room of people.

Forgot to mention it was Smash on the wii u

Went downtown to the "arcade" to play smash, turns out I was the best in the crowd. Not a tournament, just regular play, and everyone was getting frustrated. I asked if they wanted me to switch or something, but no, I was Goliath and they needed to beat me.

Ended up teaching them a lot, they visibly improved. Still didn't beat me though. Got some noticeably autistic kid to lighten up, which was nice.

Just regular play here as well, one young kid in particular was giving me a hard time. Noticed him improving quite a bit.

Was trying my best to give them some advice but I still have a lot to improve upon.

The one's with autism are always the first to break and rage

morning

Why didn't you fags tell me they hacked Smash 4?

EVO is going to be interesting. I can't think of a definite winner this EVO, unlike the last couple of years.
Sucks that PP isn't going to be there ;_;

Mostly because the majority of hack "projects" are being run by narcissists with no interest in making an actual mod but in inflating their "status". Not much to see outside of some model/texture hacks.

Anyone playing the F3Y mod for Sm4sh? Having a ton of fun right now. It's not a Melee mod, but it does make the game significantly faster.

All fall speeds x1.4
All fastfall speeds x1.2
All gravity x1.4
All walk speeds x1.1
All run speeds x1.1
All air speeds x1.1
All nair / dair landing lag reduced by 30%
All uair / fair / bair landing lag reduced by 50%
Rage removed
1 second no-grab rule removed
Dashdancing can now be done for the entire initial dash animation
Hitstun x1.3
Shield health nerfed (50 -> 45)
Shield regen rate halved
Respawn invinicibility reduced by 33%
Fox's fullhop / doublejump buffed
Diddy up-b buffed (required to counteract gravity)
Mario's uptilt slightly nerfed so he doesn't murder heavies
Shulk sped up 20%
Palutena sped up 20%
Robin's arcfire / neutral b charge sped up
Mac's side-b height increased (required to counteract gravity)
Monado arts activate faster
Monado arts have less cooldown

docs.google.com/document/d/1GFa-h0wJ-m8fZ5o3DqvgWcbmBfdoKDkNZQg_XGWGuqY/edit?pageId=107009684650442418200

This seems like a recipe for disaster. That opens up a lot of very safe KO options to approach with - Ganon and Sheik's dunk, Falcon's knee, Falco's bair, etc. While KO options were tough to come by in the game, universally applying stuff like this (along with the former dash/gravity/etc changes) creates a much more wonky balance. These changes need to be done on a character-by-character basis.

Dang, well that sucks.

Interesting, I might give it a go when I get a WiiU again.

I agree, but as a start, it's very fun. Ganon still has slow moves though. Not sure what you mean with Sheik's dunk?
Characters who I found to have benefited from this setup were Roy (he can chaingrab most of the cast at certain percents into an fsmash), Falcon (dashdancing, dthrow to knee), Mewtwo (also chaingrabbing, plus having an even more amazing fair) and Fox (upair is much more reliable, dthrow can combo now).

Because all of it is shitty texture BS.
Call me when either
A. They add characters or change the physics around
B. Add actual cool skins like Dry Bowser or Training armor mewtwo
C. Don't call me at all because I could give less of a shit about smash 4.

Memes aside, the difference between a win or loss for leffen actually might be if he encounters samus or not. Or if m2k can manage to clutch it out in the game 5 situation rather than leffen like at GOML

It's a start, but it's going to need a shit ton of work. Consider my interest mildly piqued.

no this is the melee SD remix netplay build

It's going to be a shitshow.

oh, well keep up the good work. You're not gonna port any Smash 4 characters, right?

oh and add in Ray 01

I love this game.

Tourney stories time?

If the current seeding holds, Leffen has no threatening samuses in his path at all. As far as game-5 situations, a lot of the tourney is Bo3, isn't it? So lots of room for upsets…

The only Bo5 sets at EVO will be top 3. Which is fucking stupid, since they're prepared to devote all this time and money into HAVING the top 8 of Melee in the first place, the least they could do is structure the matches to be in line with how the game is played at the top levels.

Went to my first tourney today

oh no
it's mac time bby
seriously though, all these changes except for the fall speed and gravity only seem to benefit Mac.
(especially that shield nerf and the side-b height increase, although skilled players will deny Mac the chance to get back on stage anyway.)

This is nice, but sheild rolls are still horribly unpunishable. Is this guy planning on finally removing the automatic legdegrab and disabling ledge trump? WIll he nerf the sheild roll? Will he change the infinite safe airdodges back to one directional airdodge?

I'm curious just how far this guy is willing to go.

So, how do you git gud?
Other than practice, I mean, what do need to learn to git gud?

problem is rounds in melee take longer then rounds in traditional fighters. melee apparently went over time last year

For general advice:
For more specific advice, what game are you playing and character are you using?

Blame Hbox's edge-camping for that. Also blame no one but Armada actually finding out how to beat it.

Is they any smash tournies going on, or do I really have to wait 5 days for EVO?

Melee is way more boring to watch at this point than Sm4sh.

Once you've watched enough Melee it's just the same shit ceaselessly. Top 8 is like 5 foxes and falcos and a couple other things. And it's always the same couple other things. Jigglypuff, Marth, maybe a shiek, maybe a Falcon.

That's it. Every time. The ledge options are also less interesting. I get that melee is faster and it's not like I haven't played a shit ton of it throughout my life, but, at this point I'd much rather watch Sm4sh. More interesting matchups, more chance of unexpected shit happening, more character variety.

The top 8 at the tourney I was at today was 4 Marths, 2 foxes and 2 falcos.
One of the Marths swapped to Sheik halway through and a fox swapped to Marth,

Ausfags love Marth for some reason.

Still though. Even that's basically the same thing.

marth is easy to play when you know fundamentals

Considering most top players will want to prep for and travel to EVO, yes you'll have to wait.

The last few big tourneys would like to say otherwise.
?????
You're talking about the game where ledge options actually exist and comparing it to the game where getting back on stage is practically free if you aren't horrible and fighting off the ledge is less advantageous for the one defending than the one recovering.

Top 8 of WTFox 2 last weekend was:
With some character switches and counterpicks. Fox is overrepresented because the best Fox players tend to be the best players, period, and Fox's recovery is nuts in NTSC; if you only look at huge tournaments for results, then, yeah, Fox is going to appear dominant because there are a lot of 20XX kids out there. If you want more varied characters, you can find it at regional tournaments like Battle of BC or Full Bloom. You can also look around at a local level and see any low tier heroes or good players in your region.

The best (or whom I assume to be the best) player in my region plays Falco, and he can consistently beat people's asses even though Falco can have trouble with consistency due to how dependent his combos are on mixups and guessing games. Fox can play either an aggressive rushdown style with waveshines, grabs, and disgusting follow-ups on platforms, or a more patient run-and-gun style where he chooses his openings carefully and converts harder off of fewer opportunities.

Link, a decidedly middle-of-the-road character, has also been gaining popularity recently and it seems to me a lot of people play him to moderate success in weeklies.

Hi Sakurai.

The beautiful thing about the game, which many traditional fighting game players overlook, is that each character in the high tiers can be played in different ways. Falco can be the hyper aggro combo character we all know and love, or he can camp and control the ground with lasers since his lasers are busted. Same with S2J's Falcon compared to Wizzrobe. Even a gimmick character like Icies can have vastly different approaches to the neutral and punish game between players.

And none of this is talking about doubles, either, which is so different from singles it may as well be a completely different game.

Fox, marth, shiek, falcon, falco, peach, samus, jigglypuff Lemme guess: one samus, one peach, one puff. And apperantly one Luigi which is something I guess. For the most part I've seen all those matchups a shitton of times. There's maybe one new character showing up.

Some of the Link sets have been cool to see.

And yes, ledge is more interesting in Sm4sh. As opposed to in Melee where you knock them off and go to the ledge and they die. Sweet. Loved it. Yes I'm aware there's a bit more to it than that but in Sm4sh it's a much more nuanced mixup game with more reads and conditioning. I dunno, it's more interesting to watch.

And yes I'm aware of the varying styles but even so. It just feels really samey at this point.

You've never played a game of Melee in your life, have you? I don't understand how anyone could possibly this stupid.

Maybe if the only characters you watch are fast-fallers, sure. Also, considering that the entire point of the game is knock people off the stage, it makes sense that being off-stage would put you in a disadvantageous position.
Yeah, all those recovery mixups from the guy off-stage and the guy on stage who can't cover most of them so he gives the edge to the one recovering to cover his get-up/landing. Maybe if you condition him enough by giving the edge for free so many times you can eventually go out to try to edgeguard only for him to just react and recovery around your edgeguarding attempt.

Of course I have.

It does in Smash 4 too. And you can't cover every single option every single time. But you have the potential to cover them all. That's learning and reading the opponent. Also you can go offstage and attack them from an advantageous position closer to the stage, at the point YOU choose to attack them. Before their second jump or after, do you come from the side, above, or even knock them towards the stage/under it?

A lot of that exists to some degree in Melee but a lot of the time it's the same few things. Down air spike on Falco, shine on Fox, or just ledge hog.

Daily reminder

Which only really works at especially higher percents and mostly for fast-falling characters. Samus, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and other more floaty characters usually don't give a shit if you shine them off-stage, and if you ledgehog they'll just recover on-stage where you can't even use a ledge-dash to cover their landing with. Then mix in characters with lots of gimping potential and positional play like Marth and Sheik and you have a fairly diverse edge game.

I mean I may be undermining Sm4sh's edgeguarding (since I haven't seen any of that positioning or conditioning your describing), but you seem to be greatly undermining Melee's as well.

That's a great description of Melee's edgeguarding. I'm glad you understand how it's more complex than tr4sh's.

Characters do, in fact, have optimal options. I know this must be a strange departure from tr4sh for you since every move in that game is equally garbage, but it's true. You're grossly oversimplifying it. Just off the top of my head, Falco has:
Is there a SINGLE tr4sh character who has this many options for edgeguarding? Of course not, because even if a character in tr4sh has the ability to interrupt an opponent's recovery, he'll have exactly one or two ways to do it. Don't tell me Fox using up tilt to cover a 2-frame window because it's the only option he has is somehow more interesting than all the options Melee edgeguarding has.

All of this is ignoring the cardinal sin of tr4sh's edges: even if you successfully DO edgeguard someone, even with a move like Cloud's dair or some other meteor smash, the window for meteor cancelling is SO lenient and everyone's recovery SO good (with maybe three or four exceptions) that the other person can simply jump out of it and recover unless they died outright. Like everything else in tr4sh, edgeguarding is an area where you can make the right decisions and still get no reward because you had the gall to try gimping someone.

Yeah I was definitely over-simplifying Melee but it's more just at the higher levels since i'ts the same like 4 (ok 6 I guess) characters, there seems to be less offstage variety.

With Sm4sh, I just feel like there's more options for it due to the way ledge trumping works, as well as lack of regrab invulnerability, etc.

There's literally no reason to have a debate with someone using dismissive meme names like "tr4sh". I already know you've got an opinion and you're going to stick to it like a baby sloth to its mother. Yes I was oversimplifying but watch some high level and you really do see a lot of the same the vast majority of the time. But like I said, I don't really see much point in talking to you honestly.

PS. you can offstage gimp someone with cloud's nair at like 35% if you do it correctly and still get back to the stage. Depending on their recovery. Hint: a lot of characters have better vertical recovery than horizontal so you want to gimp down and out rather than just straight down at low %. Get good.

There is no meteor cancelling in Smash 4. Doesn't really change much about edgeguarding though.

Bump

Whose gunna win EVO though

Any video of this?

Pic related And some times DK

I've owned all the main games, never tried the spin offs.

Pac-Maze. That 3 part kirby item.

I've got about 6300 or so FG 1v1 matches with a 75% win rate mainly using Pac-Man. I've caused my 3DS circle stick to fuck up to the point where I need to get it repaired to play properly. I've nearly come to the point where I can say that I've mastered pacman, but I still see stuff in competitive that gives me ideas. So I know I've still got things to learn.

I seem to rely on hard reads and prediction (Enemy knocked away, fallow up with a long range key snipe, ect.). When it works its amazing, but when it fails I'm usually heavily punished. Once I get my Circle stick repaired I'll see about doing more short hop movements. That seems to be the one thing I think I lack at the moment.

I'm inclined to say Mango just because he has Armada figured out, a good bracket into Top 8, and Wizzy could take care of Hbox for him earlier in bracket. However I definitely wouldn't bet money on him, it's just too close between the top 4.

Even more split than Melee due to the heavy counterpick metagame combined with the Bo3's. Dabuz is the only one I have confidence in getting Top 4, but as far as winning the tournament I might as well just say M2K because that would be sick as fuck.

I kinda want ANTi to win EVO for smash 4 Hes been on my eye after since CEO and the Big House

Obviously Mang0 for EVO

Are you me?
How about some pacman dittos?

DID SOMEONE SAY PAC MAN DITTOS

Pacman: bringing items and stage hazards to tourneys since 2014

You got a 3DS to play on?

Uh, I'm back, yea.
But I live in Brazil, there might be lag.

Fuck it. lets see what we can do.

FC: 0302-0770-1694

oops, my analog stick got fucked up for good now, trying to fix it…

k, its working good enough
FC : 2148-8401-4335

Main: Samus
Fun: Luigi
Melee and Silly Melee
FoD, no favourite item.
Been trying to get L-Caneling into muscle memory, but I massively improved my fundamentals at my first tourney yesterday.

I found my perfect equal and sparring partner in amateur bracket yesterday.

At least it was fun.

Geeet in the room.

Did you save the replay? that sounds like it would be a good one to rewatch.

Nah, it wasn't recorded.

Bomb jumping is weirdly hard. The best way to get the perfect timing is to mash B, but if you mash too much you cancel the height from the bomb jump and screw yourself.

How do you deal with Marth? I find that every time he gets an opening on me, he can just combo the hell out of me and it's so fucking annoying because none of his moves do any knockback.

you what

Bombs are a good way to fuck up a Marth's approach.
They usually don't expect it, and so don't react quickly enough to dodge.
The bomb pops them up, and you get a free hit.
Also spot-dodge Dsmash seems to work on popping them up too.

I used to main [email protected]/* */ but put him down for just a little bit to try out the other 50 plus characters

I now main King Dedede.

dat rainbow road

last one m8

That shit was pretty funny.

Good Fights man. I learned a few new tricks today.

good games, tiny bit of lag but was stable

That starting trick with the hydrant and the apple was awesome. I'll have to try to remember to try that one some time.

Some random on for glory taught me that.
That shit surprises everyone that is charging a move at the start of the game.

You can save replays in 20XX Tourney Edition.

Dank meme bump.

I play smash 4
I like a bunch of characters, Charizard, Ike, Duck Hunt, Peach

Welll I don't know anything about those characters, so you'll have to look up some specific guides on them or try finding out things yourself. One thing I'll add is that it's always best to focus your efforts on getting good (and a possible counter-pick) with a single character rather than spreading yourself thin across several characters.

You fuckers better not let the thread die before EVO

Watch a guy named Ryo
Or Look up the Ike Guide by Izaw

Duck Hunt Dog best bet is to watch Japanese players

Charizard= Eh

Peach -Watch a japanese player named Umeki use her pretty clever player also underrated

Shouldn't he try slayerz too?

How come no one posted this. I think think Rosalina and Luma are a big threat to gimpable characters

Thats not the video I wanted to post

King DeDeDe is the best character.

Prove me wrong.

SURELY YOU JESTIN'

He doesn't have a tether grab, or brain dead aerials.

Who's going to win EVO and why is it going to be Axe?

He's not a witch

Protip
YOU CAN'T

Dedede is so much fun to play as, he's been who I've been playing for the past two weeks, fun and FG

*I've also been in a Kirby nut ever since finishing Planet Robobot*

I will try, Thanks user

Anyone up for late night melee/pm/rivals friendlies? I main ganon

DDD is a fucking trash character,glad hes a low tier

FUCK

HA

Unfortunately, there goes duck's ticket into top 8

Why did he get deported before?

He used a vacation visa as a work visa.

Falcon and Ganon, Link Falcon and Ganon, and Pac Man when in Smash 4
PM mostly
F-Zero stages cuz music, the hammer
Wavelands and shorthops for precise falcon knee setups

THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE FALCON

I agree.

SWEET JESUS THAT LAST STOCK

How's he going to win it this year, Peach or Fox?

Neither.
He's been putting more of his practice time into peach, but at the same time, he's been losing faith in her and switching to fox. The problem is that fox is unpracticed and does even worse.

So now Armada is missing the consistency he had with peach as well as the raw power he had with fox.

Hbox, mango, and m2k are the REAL contenders for this year's EVO

I want to believe.

6 - 1 in games at wtfox2
5 - 2 in sets this year
Let's go.
U S A

In all honesty I think that Hbox, Mango, and Armada all have an equal shot of winning, with M2K and Plup having an outside chance.

Already entertained by EVO so far.

I'll probably wait for pools highlights. You get great/entertaining matches once in a while, but watching all the rest can be dry (unless you're studying them).

Not super surprising, but it would've been fun to watch.

JimJam popping sick nooches

give me the memes, fam

Gotchu fam
Is the tradition of ICs in top 8 going to stay true?

I gotchu fam

This is hilarious

The fun stops here.
Meh, at least it'll go faster.

And things pick back up right away.

Hbox's ness is a fucking savage beast and you will remember that you nigger

Destroying a random guy in pool isn't really impressive. If he can pull out the Ness in top 64 then I'll get excited.

Holy fuck, that marth ditto was hype

holy shit

Live brackets anywhere? On the official website, None's pool bracket (d601) isn't updated for example, and not many others are.

Also,
Wow.

No idea. I've just been watching the stream and going off of tweets/commentary/contact with friends at the venue

lol

Yeah, a bit ironic. If he were wobbles he might be able to make that complaint (but wouldn't).

Sure, thanks anyway.

all is right with the world

Those are the only brackets available it seems. You'll just have to wait until they're all properly updated.

evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssbm_c616.html

how much longer till melee

YO
ARMADA DOWN 1-0 TO SMASH GOD
twitter.com/NintendudeSSB/status/754168083900567553

fug

It's over.

wallpunch incoming

What the fuck is going on?

Now there's SFAT vs Westballz and Wizzrobe vs n0ne on first round of top 32 losers side, the loser of each game is getting 25th.

What is this tournament?

Wrong year.

Sounds fine, given the above. That should've been Westballz eliminating Chu into 25th, and n0ne putting Chillin into 25th, which wouldn't sound too bad. Still sad though.

Bo3 top 32 incoming, LEL

Thanks for the coverage mates.

Crazy.

SmashG0D is a Marth

M2K studying??

Apparently Zero is in losers for Wii U top 8. Always nice to see that fat fuck flop.

He got fucking destroyed by a japanese megaman. He even got the metal blade reset once.

Watch mango's stream for melee. You don't need to sub to chat
twitch.tv/mang0

💯

ALEX LOSING HIS MIND
clips.twitch.tv/mach1alex19/FragileLouseTheTarFu

I'm hanging out in the Mumble in misc. room C if anyone wants to watch the stream and hang out.

Jesus.

Time for the heartbreak

YOOOOOOO

;_;

RIP Canada, killed by a fetus.
Had n0ne won, we would have most likely seen him vs Lucky, the rematch from GOML. Now it's going to be wizzy vs lucky, and wizzy is 3-0 in sets vs Lucky this year.

Man this fucking sucks that I have to be at work today.

WHAT IS THIS TOURNAMENT

He studied under mango alright

LUCKY AND WIZZY TIME

Lucky Wizzy and Mang0 Plup were pretty intense. Interesting outcomes. 2016Wizzy is great.

I'm happy for him, but fuck, wizzy's got 17th.

But hey, S2J's got a big chance of making top 8 - he's just gotta beat Duck.

Didn't duck beat N0ne?

Nope, n0ne won at SnS to make top 8

I guess that's revenge for poor teamwork during the wombo combo set.

fuck outta here

They're eliminated mate.

So no, they won't be in top 8.

wiki.teamliquid.net/smash/EVO_2016/Melee/Singles_Bracket

sounded like he was implying all icies were lame

I wasn't trying to downplay Zhu's or The Moon's skill levels. I was pointing out that they eliminated any chance of ICs ruining top 8.

also sounded like you were implying they were lame.
Sorry.

The curse is broken. He's free.

I don't think anyone can say much about Zhu after how he beat Lucky

the fighting game quote was a mistranslation anyways

sourcegaming.info/2015/07/10/sakurai-didnt-say-that/#[1]

WEW

youtube.com/watch?v=Pkok9lIUAxs

/nobuffs/

Post yfw Johnny, Weston Dennis, and PewPewU make top 8

Not bad.
Would have preferred Wizzy or the attendance of low tier heroes like abate or amsa, but bretty gud overall

Armada, Mew2King, Plup, and Hbox in winner's side.
S2J, Mango, PewPewU, and Westballz in losers side.

Finally a Falcon makes EVO top 8, but Johnny has a addy-addicted bird demon he's going to have to face immedately. Plup and M2K looking great, Hbox and Armada looking shaky, Mango will have to make a crazy losers run.

So far this has been way more interesting than last year.

No Leffen/PPMD but this is as good as it could be

Y'know, other than Zhu beating Mango and there being a total shitstorm

this guy was memeing the entire set

Interesting doesn't really describe it I don't think. It's been so damn weird. I mean it's no Big House 4, but it's still been crazy.

What a tournament.

He was just standing there all day I think. I can't recall a set on that stream where he wasn't there.

oh shit, thought it said 5

Oh god I can only imagine what will happen in top 8.

Fuck yeah.

does this mean no more falcon?

He said dumb secondaries

Dude everyone has a pocket falcon.

If ZeRo had beaten Kamemushi, he would've personally final-eliminated 5 of the 6 Japanese players that made it to top 32. (Crazy odds. We could make jokes about him going into losers just to make sure the western hemisphere won.)

That being said, I'm looking forward to watching Kamemushi's set against him. Pretty impressive.

MARIO MAINS REJOICE

Also a Megaman in Top 3 thats fucking great. Also Earth got top 10 whose one of the only good Pit players in Smash 4. I might pick up pit more after seeing earth play

Wait Sm4sh top 8 already happened man they must have went through very quick or saving Melee for the Sunday night main stage.

WEW FUCKING LAD

MELEE ONLINE
E
L
E
E

O
N
L
I
N
E

forgot link:
meleeonline.net/

so it's literally an internal matchmaking chatroom?
ok cool

I didn't know Christmas was on the same day as EVO.

what a fucking shit place, glad i left.

ARMADA M2K LET'S START THIS TOP 8 OFF IN STYLE

Oh, and I'm in the Mumble in room C if anyone wants to chill.

Hi Jack

;_;

JASON WHY

Come in and talk to me, faggot.

ITS TIME

HOLY SHIT

JOHNNY KIM

We know you could've done it, buddy.

What IS this tournament?

Well, at least Armada finished his soul searching and decided he's a Peach main. I'm glad to see him sticking to his guns.

The dream is over

Johnny played very well against HBox for somebody who likes to swag out so much, but I think we all saw that coming.

Fuck this tournament.

WHY DIDN'T JASON BAN DREAMLAND
WHAT DID HE BAN

Feels bad.

Fug me, Armada has another couple years and then it'll be nothing but smug Leffen and a bit of Plup

RESIDENTSLEEPER PLS

I'll settle for the 2VO

Just please no Hbox win

Yurocucks pls leave

I'm American and I want Armada to win.

USA does not claim Hbox's win.

HOPE YOURE READY BOY

I don't understand the anti-HBox meme.

But it would be cool to have Armada tied with Mang0 for 3vo potential.

But HBox's comebacks are so intense.

EUROPE BTFO
NATIONFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

I'm just memeing

Good shit Hbox

ggnore

USA WINZ AGAIN BABEH!!

stay delusional americuck

JIGGLYPUFF FOR POKKEN
IGGLYPUFF FOR TEKKEN

That was some good shit.
Can't wait for amsa and PPMD at smash con

I really hope he shows. I don't really care how he places, as long as he has recovers physically and has some fun again that'd be great. His play and commentary are both fun to watch.

I just want a proper 5 god commentary within my lifetime

That'd be incredible if it were anything like the 4 god one.

In fact, any gods-only commentary would be great, even with any two of them. It's too bad it never happens.

This entire tournament has been nutty. S2J making it into top 8 and beating his demon Western Dentist to make 5th, Chillin and Lucky beating wizzy, Zhu making a tear and getting 9th, Plup knocking Mango and Hbox into losers and getting 3rd, PewPewU breaking his 9th place curse.

Also, apparently Melee and GG are the only games at EVO that haven't dropped in viewers for top 8 so far, although they didn't see very significant growth (moreso for Melee). Every other game has seen a substantial dip in views.

Add these observations too.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy.

Ah, that was you, sorry.

YOOOO

wew fucking lad people

man, i thought this post said VGBC quitted Smash Bros…

RIP Hyuga being the only Toon Link I've ever seen to approach someone on any stage.

Good EVO this year

Poor Hyuga.
They really should've just brought him back to his own room

Excellent.

what did he mean by this?

So is Hbox considered the #1 melee player atm or what?

well considering the point difference between him and armada, the win would probably bump him up pretty close, but armada would also be shooting up

so no, not yet

It depends on how you define "best smash player." He's certainly had the strongest string of first place finishes recently, but he only plays one character in one style. EVO showed us an Hbox who was way more confident with rests, and that is a big change to his play compared to a few months ago, but even then he's still very much focused on doing one incredibly safe thing (zoning and winning neutral) exceptionally well. He edgeguards nicely, of course, but I've also seen him choke on simple edgeguards.

Part of what defines the best Melee player or Smash player, in my mind, is the ability to adapt and play differently based on what your opponent is doing (or what part of the stage you are on). Hbox went up against a shadow Falcon at WTFox and got bodied because he didn't know how to react to it, and as long as he lets stuff like that slip him by, he won't be #1.

He has pocket characters, and a Ness counterpick for Armada's Young Link, but he solo mains one of the least technical characters in the game.

It's close, but I would say so.

The year truly is 666xx.

In 2016, he's definitely been performing the best and most consistently compared to the other top players, and has a positive head-to-head set record versus every other player except for going 0-1 versus Leffen and 3-3 versus Armada.

At the moment, I'd rate the top 6 players like this:

twitter.com/nicole_npomba/status/755279475944763392

So apparently this happened.
this'll make for a good episode of you're watching Sfat

Lol. Sure, let's pretend that happened.

At least the girl in the Hyuga situation had the decency to put the facts on the table and let people make up their own minds. This is classic attention whoring and I can only hope it blows up in her face.

twitter.com/LiquidHbox/status/755543331921354752

Perfect.

Has anyone tried Melee Online? Is it any good?

The absolute madman, he's actually doing it.

Does anyone aside from M2K have a chance at winning this?

I love bullshit side events like this.

So that means we could get another Sethlon vs. Lunchables.

See, I'd actually be down for something like this if the options were 64, Melee, SD Remix, and P:M. Those four games share the same design philosophy, and have very similar tech.

Isai
Azen could probably do well too.

Wizzy has the edge on 64, depending on how he does against M2K he could take, considering he has close sets with him, he's also okay at Smash 4.

Realisitcally speaking M2K should take it easily but it will be fun to watch either way, I just hope the fucking faggot that ESAM is gets blown the fuck out.

Wow, I really hope they stream that (somehow). I also hope M2K enters.

Wizzy is quite good at 64 and I haven't heard of M2K playing 64 much at all. But M2K is top-tier in Melee, Brawl and (pretty much) S4, so yeah, as long as he doesn't get Bo3'd in top 64 or something, his chances are good.

He benefits from there being no PM too, since I believe several top smashers have pocket PM skill (HBox in particular).

If it gets several good entrants I'll watch it for sure.

It
Did you even read the tweet
Of course they will
Of course he will
They invited those four players specifically because they play a range of Smash games.

Since we're reaching the bump limit, should there just be a new thread once SSC comes around or should we make one now?

We could make a new one if anyone's interested in playing friendlies.

reminder to laugh at anyone who takes competitive Blast Ball seriously.

It's been a while since I've played this.