Don't hold your breath for TES VI

Todd Howard says The Elder Scrolls VI is on hold because it's too ambitious for Beth's current technology.

While there's no solid evidence of this yet, should we just take his word for it? Well, surely Todd wouldn't lie to us, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/COE5E
rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10267
youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs
please
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Top heh, webm that shit or fuck off. Check em.

And nothing will stop them from putting it on it anyway.

You're looking at this the wrong way. What they are saying is 100% accurate, but what you have to understand is how incompetent Bethesda is. A competent company can make or adapt a new engine and make a new game using that engine if 3-4 years. Bethesda takes 3-4 years to make a buggy, incomplete game using the same engine they've been using for the past 15 years.

Now they recognize based on the reception of Fallout 4 that they've milked Gamebryo (and NetImmerse) about as far as they can without causing significant backlash. But they're too incomptent to switch engines quickly, so you get messaging like this.

They're probably waiting for the mods that are released for fallout 4 and then steal them to put in their new game.

An E3 2015 leak said that it will take place in Elsweyr, a land with lots of dense foliage and diverse ecosystem. Todd and the rest of the Bethesda Game Studios crew is forbidden from mentioning anything about this particular game. Pete Hines, Todd's annoying boss and Beth's marketing VP faggot, went apeshit when Todd said that Beth is working on ESVI. His career is at stake here, but Todd is always too enthusiastic about his game that he was ready to sacrifice his career by mentioning this game in current year E3 interview.

Maybe they'll finally make a new fucking engine?

Is that one of his lies?.

Amen, that's just their way of building the hype like:
Aaaand it's just rebranded Gamebry.. i mean Creation Engine or whatever the fuck they're going with now.

Oh dear, they must need to update from Windows 95.

LOL
even the engine they're using now isn't a new one by any means
creation engine isn't fucking special, it's just gamebryo but worse

Maybe they will steal one.

Why's everyone not believe this one? If there's anything the last couple games have been, it's too big for their britches. Now that he admits gamebryo is a piece of shit, you doubt it? I know it's todd, but cmon.

At least its a good start, remember how Todd praised Oblivion before shitting on Oblivion when Skyrim came around?

picrelated
now fuck off, OP

I like how you can open the Fallout 4 levels in Morrowind's toolset. People like to quibble and say, "Oh, every modern engine is just a fork of a 15 year old engine", but good luck trying to open Titanfall's levels in Quake 1's tools, or any other number of examples. I can't think of another modern AAA game you can open in a creation tool more than a decade old.

Why does that chick have 4 ghost arms?

Best case scenario, they actually make a halfway decent engine, ~90% of dev time is going to be the engine and the game will still end up shit from both time constraints and poor design choices as always.

archive.is/COE5E

Do you have a source for that? I'm genuinely interested but searching isn't helping me.

I saw it in one of the videos about the Fallout 4 console modding crisis. Can't find it on google search, but they had video footage of it, so it seemed legit.

handjobs

If you want me to check'em at last get'em

but you dont have 4 dicks.

2 on the dick, 2 on the balls

Not Beth's current technology, existing hardware. Current gen consoles only allow for Skyrim with slightly improved graphics aka the PC version of Skyrim. That's it for open world games, it won't get any better. If they want to do some "next gen" shit they'll have to wait for next gen. But they can't say that for many reasons so instead they make some shit up as always.

Please reconsider.

they still haven't released concrete sales data for Fallout 4, and never will because they're a private company, so any hesitation can be chalked up to the game underperforming. now whether it was a legitimate loss or a "wow we only sold 6 million copies" is a mystery to everyone.

I guess that's the problem with Todd Howard. He genuinely loves the games he's involved in, they're just not that deep.

Wait a second does that mean they're finally going to change the base engine of their games? The abomination will be put to rest?

Oh who i am kidding, they just want to release on newest consoles because companies probably will pay them to do so to increase hardware sales.

The second one most certain
Much like Doomed which is in sale at 40% .

So it will have ladders and diagonal walking?

It's never going to be Morrowind 2 so I don't give a shit.

Is this a fucking joke? Bethesda's games have never been ambitious, let alone pushing the boundaries of what was already achieved, either technologically or in terms of narrative.

They want working ladders this time?

They're probably trying to figure out how to make their characters look like humans and not robots with rubber masks on.

Damn, I knew they were incompetent, but this goes deep into mental retardation.

Let this meme die already fuck

All ES games suck shit. People love the concept and potential, but Bethesda can never meet it.

It's just nitpicking, but technically Arena and Daggerfall were both by the same company and were groundbreaking titles. Admittedly almost no one from that era works there anymore. (Ironically, Todd DID work there at the time of Daggerfall. Apparently he was better as an intern than as a creative director.)

Try it yourself. Install the morrowind construction kit, open a fallout 4 file.
You'll laugh.

It wasn't as good as Morrowind, but it was still decent enough. Especially the guild questlines, which were arguably the best in TES series.

I like how you conveniently forgot the pants on head retarded leveling system that can permanently fuck up your character and the enemies and loot being scaled to your level, making exploration utterly fucking pointless.

Didn't they shitcan most of the people that were tasked with engine deveploment and pretty much handed over everything to a bunch of interns and beginners fresh out of uni?

Also, SureAI is the only reason to still have Oblivion or Skyrim installed.
Fuck Bethesda.

their engine wasn't made by them but one look at the credits for any 2 of their games proves they don't keep people for long. it's cheaper, for you and your fellow third-party cult buddies, to just keep hiring newbies.

enemy level scaling was present in morrowind too, and I haven't ever experienced a character being permanently gimped in any serious way due to Oblivion being easy as shit even with a bad build

Only a few of the questlines were decent.

Overall, its just as Slyrom, if not worse because Skyrim actually fixes some of these issues. I mean, at least Skyrim can be a nice hiking simulator if you play it right. Oblivion just has no appeal to it what so ever

Why everyone hates fallout 4?

Nobody seems to have legitimate arguments against that bethesda game. My father is addicted to building shit in it.

Are you new here?

You know… I think I'll let this typo pass because I like it.

No, seriously, after all my fallout 4 threads i made here nobody could convince me its a shit game. I want some graphs like this:

Here, you tremendous faggot:
rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10267

do you really need someone pointing out the differences between FNV and FO4 for you?

But wasn't that article too nitpicking? Also author of it never tried far harbor and new survival mode, both of them made game much better.

Well it happened to me. Enemies got so much health and my weapons did so little damage that I had to waste up to 50 arrows to kill a single enemy. And those were the best arrows I could get at that point, the madness ore arrows from Shivering Isles

I want that, yes.

if you can get the raw bsp data from a titanfall map, you absolutely could open it up in a q1 editor. May need to edit some geometry limits, but it's very possible.

I hope you understand that review is more of a satirical piece than anything else. It's for people who already know why the game is a flaming dumpster pile of a title. It won't be very useful for someone who legitimately doesn't understand.

Then again, this guy is clearly trolling.

Fair point. Still, both of those games were shit. Sure, they were ambitious, and many of the ambitions the developers had were achieved, in one way or another, but the games were still clunky and badly designed.

The really sad part is that every Bethesda game since has been a step (or several) backwards, until we get to FO4, which is basically a shit shooter.

That's the thing. TES was always meant to be a dungeon crawler with an overworld to connect the various dungeons. Toddler and Petey are the ones that turned it into "you can climb that mountain" bullshit.

Same ending from 2003. With some of the same bugs and limitations.

the only faggot here nitpicking is you demanding some kind of arbitrary proof that the game is bad. fuck off.

Well first of all everything is simplified even compared to 3
Then there was the voiced MC
And the bad voice acting all round
Terrible Aesthetics despite needing top notch hardware to run
Boring Gameplay
Bad Music
Hilariously bad endings, especially for the DLC
Need I go on

You don't need to try something to know its trash

I guess Todd says things he shouldn't from time to time, and he's smug as fuck about it because he knows they won't do shit to him. He's the current face of Bethesda and the new generation of kids worships him and shit. He's a living dead man's switch for the company's PR, pretty much. Must feel great to have that kind of power.

Reminds me how great Daggerfall is, where the whole world is your ladder. They should bring back that formula.
Good to see Zelda doing it at least.

Fo4 is more of an action-adventure than an RPG. Honestly, it would be an OK formula for a new IP, but not so much for Fallout.

Nigger, people have discussed Fallout 4 to death on why it is shit compared to other (fallout) games. Sure you can like it, but it wont change the fact that youre playing with shit.

You just have shit taste, we all kinda do.

For fucks sake. It's like screaming MODS WILL FIX IT but in a more shilling way.

Huh? Were you actually playing games when they both came out? I was, and relative to what else was around at the time they certainly weren't "shit".

here u go nigger
youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs

Would Fallout 4 have been better if Todd was a romanceable companion?

They've aged like women. Once the novelty wears off you start to see how flawed they really are, they're more tech demos than games proper.

Not nearly as bad as Skyrim's
Which was the case with Skyrim too, and to a degree, even with Morrowind
Can you provide examples, as well as showcase why it's bad? This is too vague
Present in Morrowind as well as Skyrim
Same with Skyrim, and while Morrowind was better, it was no miracle either
Yeah, because that shit is procedurally generated and is like that in all Beth games
So what? Just because there is a threat looming doesn't mean you need to have 100% serious, gloomy atmosphere all the time. Shit like music and surroundings should be guided by immediate stuff - such as an ominous music when you walk inside a dungeon, or having dead trees around an active volcano. Having the main quest dictate the feel of every moment in the game (especially in Beth games, where the main quest is fucking irrelevant to everything else) is just retarded

Saying that Skyrim is better than oblivion is the height of faggotry

Nothing wrong with main character voice. It makes the game more immersive.
Voice acting isn't terrible because this time around they hired more voice actors.
I agree on aesthetics, but you can change textures with mods, and make game more rusty/nuclear.
Can be fixed with mods such as Arbitration, Weaponsmith Extended 2, war of the commonwealth, better location damage and various faction overhauls.
Easily fixed with mods that add classic fallout 1 and 2 music. And real retro radios.
Endings are indeed bad, but the game was never meant to be played until the end. Your real end is to build settlements everywhere and organize trade between them. This is where the real game starts.

Fallout 4 has perks, leveling up, dialogue system and options based on your charisma levels. Since when its not rpg?

You expect me to watch 1:30 hours of nitpicking?

Yes

listen to it while browsing

It's written in a humorous way so as not to be boring, but it lists the glaring faults still

You fucking mongoloid.

Mods fixing it isn't a defence
And I honestly think they picked Voice actors that grate the ear

Combat is heavily based on Guns and it's a mediocre at best FPS mechanics.
Dialogue is all boring and lacks depth similar to Skyrim.
FUCKING TEXTURE LOADING AND FETCHING PROBLEMS OUT THE FUCKING ASS ENJOY HAVING TO WAIT A FULL MINUTE FOR EVERYTHING TO FUCKING POOP IN
Story is hilariously boring
Settlement system isn't as fun as it could be
Riding around in a Vertibird is complete dogshit because of said texture loading problems

Only positive thing I have to say is that the character head models aren't as hideous as other bethesda games.

It doesn't

No

No.

No.

It's not.

You can't roleplay as you have choice, no own backstory, no own character. All characters you make are in the end the exact same.

Yet you shill for hours on this shithole.

You best be bullshitting or just trolling, because holy fuck you're daft.

Summer is truly here.

Compare it to New Vegas and it still falls short in every aspect except gunplay. And gunplay is mediocre at best.

Bethesda can't achieve in years what Obsidian did in a few months. They're the single most lazy and untalented developers in vidya, and the fact they still rake in cash while not even bothering to make an effort just shows how shit the hobby has gotten.

Unless you're talking about daggerfall, no, they use pre-baked assets, and load from disk.

That's a rather ridiculous standard to hold games to. How many games actually blow you away 20 years later if you play it then? Especially in the case of games like Arena and Daggerfall which were trying to push technical boundaries as much as anything else. I mean, I get it if you don't like them, but calling them "shit" in retrospect is a bit much.

woops, this post was suppose to quote

At least Obisdian recognised that people like to use their fists or melee weapons in Fallout unlike Shithesda.

Every melee weapon has 1 or 2 attack animations in the entire game whereas NV had multiple animations and different ways to fight.

End of July for English version.

I could never get into Nehrim either because of it being an Oblivion mod.

I want to hold on to some vague hope that maybe, just maybe, they learned from their mistakes in Skyrim and FO4 and the next TES won't be utter dog shit.

But alas, in my heart I know it will be more casualized than Skyrim and will be developed, again, on Gamebryo.

Of course it will be on Gamebryo. They're in too deep with their engine.

But user, Skyrim and FO4 are built on Bethesda's own vastly superior GECK engine, which is definitely nothing like Gamebyro.

It's gonna be on Unity or some shit, just fucking watch.

I love Todd, so I believe him this time
but this time only

Story wise you're right, but if you're seriously trying to imply that going to Oblivion over and over again to flip some damn switch isn't worse than going through a 7-hour dungeon crawl, then I seriously hope you find help because repetition is a sign of autism.

Also, quit pulling this "at least its not Skyrim" bullshit. That's not what we're arguing, were arguing whether or not its a bad game.

And Morrowimd fixed this by having abstraction play a true role in combat and giving it a slower pace as opposed to "swing your sword 10 times in 1 second and only deal 2 damage" Oblivion.

Okay, so you haven't seen a screenshot of the game and you're already shilling for it. Best you not see those ugly potato faces anyway.

Morrowind jut didn't have voice acting outside the greeting lines and Dagoth Ur. That's perfectly fine.

Skyrim did still have his issue but it also had slightly higher quality voice acting which isn't saying much.

It just really takes you out of a game to hear that shitty "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!" tier voice acting as opposed to just reading.

Only a handful of random encounters were scaled in Morrowind. Thing is, if you played Morrowind, you'd know that its kind of light on random encounters anyway. Most of the bandits are people, too. Caves have their own unique set of creatures sometimes with their own names.

And again, Skyrim had it to a lesser extent than Morrowind.

Skyrim had a shitty overworld, but at least it had content and geographical variety. Seriously, there is nothing but random grass, dungeons, and rocks in Oblivion.

Morrowimd was probably partially procedurally generated, but thing is, it didn't live on a shitty open world setting with flat lands everywhere. The land was packed with lore and you were most often traveling on roads surrounded by cliffs to come across maybe a pocket of land where you have the opportunity to travel freel . Not to mention there was better enemy variety than "wolf, bandit" in Morrowind.

No, but it does mean you need to set an atmosphere appropriate to the story. Morrowimd did this well by having a fairly dark story being told in its mysterious world. That was Morrowind's atmosphere, mysterious. You're simply thrown in to this alien place and its up to you to figure it all out on your own.

Skyrim's atmosphere was pretty shit because it lacked story direction. Still better than Oblivion's "Emperor died, now walk out of the shitty sewers and be happy!".

I honestly can't believe you have me defending Skyrim just for being mediocre.

Dogshit is still better than bloody diarrhea, user>>9925693

Honestly don't get how you guys could motivate yourself to play through all of the content without getting bored of the lackluster gamplay and plot.

It's gonna be a fucking shit, surprise!

And this propaganda worked well. Fuck this world.

I have to wonder what they're going to do once they've actually pushed their version of gamebryo too far. The entire reason they've still been using the engine is because it's easy to create game content with, which is why their games have always been so easily moddable since Morrowind.

They are going to double down on their online game and coast until it's no longer profitable. I would bet my left nut that they are going to take a page from EA's playbook and coast until they either drop the IP entirely or scrounge up enough money to buy a small team that can make a foxengine like system for them that allows them to just rebrand it the gamebryo 2.0 engine or some gay shit.

So in TES VI will the only skills be "Fighting", "Stealth", and "Magic", or will they go ahead and remove skills altogether?

Whoa there, that's too many choices and variables for the average Bethesda fan.

Way ahead of you with FO4.

Maybe Bethesda should upgrade, then.
Other developers have been releasing better shit than them for a while, with different engines and technology. That's no excuse.

Get better programmers, get a new engine, stop being a shit company.

Is that them finally admitting that Gamebryo is no longer viable? Have they finally reached the point where the can no longer sit on the mountain of shekels and actually have to use those shekels to develop a proper fucking engine? Nah, there's no way they'd actually do something smart like that. They'll probably just migrate to Unreal 5 or Kojima's "Not Fox Engine" he'll probably make, whenever those things come out.

Fallout 4.

Let's settle this once for all: what's worse, Oblivion or Skyrim?

Oblivion

Pros:
Cons:

Skyrim

Pros:
Cons:

In my opinion, modern TES are games with a great concept which get some things right, but are utterly disappointing by the fuckhueg amount of details they get wrong. Most of these things aren't even hard to fix (make dragons rarer, but also an actual threat even if only by inflating their stats), so Bethesda either intentionally fucks up their own games or they are just braindead.

They all are worse than fallout 4.

Oblivion was shit, especially coming right after Morrowind, but at least it was just plain shit. Skyrim had potential on the other hand; you can see how it could have been great if they hadn't half-assed quests and spells and whatnot, and that makes it worse to me.

It is more like they are waiting for more powerful consoles to brute force their shit.

Watched it.

The guy said a lot of good points about the game and make me want play it even more. Fuck you.

pls yes

So in other words, they're waiting for ninth-gen SDKs because that way they can just brute force their way through another iteration of their flagship franchises using Gamebryo more-or-less as it currently exists instead of actually spending time and money improving and optimizing it.

But hey, I'm actually a bit optimistic because If they're waiting until ~2020 and want to get in on that mad launch title dosh then they might decide to pad out the wait with another third-party Fallout a la NV. I'd like to see a Fallout game featuring either Seattle or an ACTION-PACKED TRIP TO DETROIT.

I still think that probably the most mind-boggling decision choice that Bethesda made between NV and FO4 was removing ammo types and DT. Just those two simple features (both of which already existed in the first fucking Fallout game, released more than a decade before FO3) tacked on to what was more-or-less a carbon copy of FO3's insanely shitty gunplay gave the combat more depth than anything Bethesda has ever done.

Oblivion sucks more when you're actually playing it but Skyrim is much worse in the abstract.

It fits their bullshit level scaling model.

Basically what I said.

It's the "ambition" comment that worries me. Is his ambition to make ES6 the first game with a million useless fetch it quests?

No. Its much more simple.

Make an fps game and call it an rpg. No stats, no roleplaying elements, no dialogues, but just open world fps.

That's his true ambition.

But skyrim already has infinite fetch quests
Knowing todd, he's probably shooting for something retarded like randomly generated story or something

Randomly generated story would be better than what we have now in fallout 4 and skyrim.

Really

Fallout 4?

No. Fallout 4 still has stats/perks and dialogue options.

He needs to get rid of those in his next game completely.

Stalker?

While the layout was generally worse, Bethesda at least tried to put some kind of "story" in most dungeons, like the mine that got overrun by trolls or the prison that got flooded and killed most everyone inside. I didn't like the whole boss and chest at the end of most dungeons bit, though.

Well, yes, in theory, but remember that anything "big and ambitious" todd wants is inevitably hampered by the incompetent coders
I would gladly take dorf forts legends mode over anything modern bethesda can write
But put into practice by bethesda's equally shit coders, we'd just get a few generic stories with a few variables switched out every time, which would end up being far worse, just by virtue of being created by the same people who would make the shit stories in the first place

I thought people loved Fallout 4 (No really, I thought they did. A guy at one place I worked at blew $2000 to play it on his PC*).

*In his defense, I upgraded my PC to play WoW: MoP and Diablo 3, so who am I to judge?

Todd could never pull off immersive atmosphere and lore of stalker. He can only make cartoon villains terrorizing plastic environments and toy soldiers.

No, no.
If you are excited for this game please hold your breath. Hold it until you black out and drop dead.

In general, yes
But even normalfags are catching on to the flaws now, though most of them still like the game in spite of all of it

(((people))) indeed loved fallout 4.

Its a game where story making you to follow it on rails, and offers you only an illusion of choice, much worse than even in mass effect 1 or 2. More comparable to Dragon Age Inquisition.

Settlement building in general is boring glorified minecraft without real goal, your settlers don't even produce anything to make it more automatic or look alive. And scavenging for their sake isn't that worthy, especially on survival when you got no time to travel from one settlement to another on foot. And combat in general just a mediocre shooter, where you just need to find most powerful gun, strap on it most powerful mods, buy ammo and you don't need to let it go anymore.

And power armor, that you receive in the first 30 minutes of the game is a god mode without cheats. If you like this game after playing around 5 hours of it, there's something wrong with you. For fast paced post apocalyptic fps experience there's stalker. For better and deeper dialogue system there's New Vegas. For building - there are bunch of minecraft and dwarf fortress clones, hundreds of them.

Strapping together half baked rpg elements with no choices or roleplay options, poor fps mechanics that are mediocre at best and few features from minecraft is the worst idea humanity ever produced in video game industry. Its like swedish pizza of video games, its not a fucking pizza (not an rpg).

IT JUST WORKS

If you ever wondered why the writing in Skyrim and FO4 is so shit then look no further than the Toddler. He's the reason the untalented hack behind most of it still has a job.

And he's the guy that decide the scope of the games, so Bethesda shit being shallower than a puddle is on him.

Half the "features" in FO4 were ideas Bethesda stole from their modders and crammed in just because survival is the in shit of the current year.

this

The scope of oblivion was reeled back in halfway through development because they couldn't handle the complexity

Imagine how better it would be if:

You know, there's animation for building stuff in this game, and npcs using hammers and tools to fix broken walls and shit. At some point they wanted to make them build stuff over time, like in other normal games, but this idea was "scrapped".

Todd himself said this building thing was "inspired by minecraft". Really tired of his shit. He couldn't make even this bullshit right, and people think this is the strongest point of this game, when its actually the biggest lie of Todd. Each part of this game consists of various elements from other game genres, but in the end it becomes just a pile of puke.

Oh my god it was wonderful too. Voice acting was the beginning of the end for the entire Bethesda empire. Everything they've made since Oblivion has been tainted by it, and they only strive to make it worse and worse with each new game.

I never though i would say it, but voice acting was cancer that killed video games.

Because you can write much more without it, and voice acting makes non-linear games very expensive. There's a reason why even Stalker has a popping up dialog window, despite his atmosphere they made it really immersive looking.

Also games become much shorter and have simplified stories because of it.

soon

I have a physical copy of SoC but i have no computer to play it on what am i missing out on? ive played a good bit of clear sky

The only skill will be "Adventure"

I think the Japs got this down pretty well with having just a bit of voice acting. Just having the little reaction noises.
Doesn't have to be so damn cutesy but it works just fine.

I unironically love skyrim. I think its fantastic. I don't see why it gets so much shit. Its a great game. Sue me

The two original FOs, the Baldur's Gate games, PST, basically most of the cRPGs from around the mid 90s to the mid 00s did this, either having a character just voice an initial sentence or, for important characters, voice a whole dialogue if it was important enough to the plot.

But yes, VA for everything killed just how expansive and non-linear a cRPG could be.

They should just hire the cheap faggots like CDPR does instead of splurging on famous talent

Skyrim is definitely worse from an RPG perspective. It has less content, worse writing, and overall lazy design. Really the only thing it has going for it is graphics, smoother combat, and slightly less horrible level scaling.

There's a reason why people love bethesda games.

They know nothing better, and never tried older titles or too weak minded to complete them. So they enslave themselves to todd's lies, blinding themselves into believing that their trash mods that glitch between each other and make game even more unbalanced helping them to achieve the game of their dreams.

When in reality they are still limited in gamebryo engine, and all mod ideas stuck in its borders.

Here i made a chart of quality. Good game doesn't require mods, but the game requiring mods to play can never be modded into a good game. Its simple as that.

What happened?

I disagree with your opinion.

cute

should be technical limit of average "mod" developer
Since "having staff to stop leads from doing stupid shit" and "having staff with ability to implement super cool awesome idea" are technical limits which is also something suffered by AAA devs.

Anyone here going to play Enderal?

I disagree with you both.

I agree.

Too bad writing dialogue decent enough that it wont just make you go all TLDR is still quite hard.

Even several "classics" Holla Forums likes to jerk over being "m-muh timeless masterpieces" are quite jarring because it's nothing but boring boring walls of texts which even Morrowind too often succumbs into which just makes me take a break and before i notice it it's been over a month and that's the point of no return so time to start anew!

Not bashing written word vs spoken at all though but with written only there's sort of "less room for error" as it can easily go TLDR which when shortened just reads like it has no life/soul in it as is on spoken even if the VA's are ö-tier crap.
though i kinda like it when games have devs and their friends or such doing the VA and still trying to deliver on that aspect vs the same Nolan North and similar overused VA's delivering their lines exactly the same way again and again

None of the stores in my town sell fedoras.

Bruh.

Apex bullshit, m8. Provide a source or kill yourself.

Okay, now kill yourself.

Do you even read books, nigger? I bet you hate visual novels too.

I would gladly take a wall of text any time than a shitty bioware or bethesda tier story being screamed into my brain.

This basically confirmed that Valenwood will be the next place that we'll visit. They have huge fucking trees that walk, that would be crazy for the current engine to do.

Again with those lies. Of course they will use modified morrowind engine again. They will just modify it to be even more buggy, messy, and impossible to fix.

There was nothing about Elsweyr. You might be thinking of the memo saying it would take place in Valenwood, but that was later found to be a fake, produced by the same guy who made a lot of Fallout 4 hoaxes.

Wrong, see my post. That memo was faked.
I'd bet money they'll do Hammerfell, since it's the only human province left except High Rock and Bretons are boring as fuck.

Yet the memo predicted Nuka World before Fallout 4's announcement.

Nuka World was announced this e3.
This thing was "made up" in 2014.

Probably someone taken credit for this piece of paper.

Why yes i do but evidently you dont seeing as how you lack the capability to actually understand written text.

Then again someone calling someone nigger so readily… you arent by change a… nigger?

We already know that it was created by a hoax fabricator. I chalk up the Nuka World coincidence to both Bethesda's and that guy's utter lack of creativity.

You think bethesda named new dlc after a leak?

I think they wouldn't let one little hoax (among many at the time) deter them. If TES6 comes out as being in Valenwood, we'll know it was a leak. Until then, I'm not convinced.

And to clarify: I don't think they named it after the fake memo. I think they just aren't creative and wanted a Nuka-themed DLC since that's one of the words that people now associate with Fallout's setting. It's a case where both they and the guy who wrote that fake memo were uninspired.

There's also sword singing, which they can spin into a special snowflake player character power, deserts and dwemer ruins that will cut down on the work they need to do, and the whole area will earn them tons of diversity points

Very true. I also think they'd probably do sand worms, and as derivative as that would be, it would be rad to play a game with sand worms, so I'd pirate it.

See that worm?

You can ride it.

Here's a question to think about.

Will they improve sword combat judging by the amount of combat improving mods out there?

No. They'll just rip out everything they can't make work and turn it into a straight up action game.

I wish I could say "No, they geniunely think Nuka-Cola, a random reference, has a brand presence" but then the slackjawed masses bought those promo bottles sold by Target and paid scalpers a lot.

heh

I think they would try to copy dark souls and dragon's dogma combat based on their popularity, and additionally remove all fucking game stats they could.

After all shooting mechanics from fallout 3 to 4 improved. They would try to do the same with TES combat, and sacrifice even more rpg mechanics.

Vid Related

See that continent? You can leap over it.

Honestly I'd pirate it just to have a sandbox game set in a sweet ass desert with good lore already written so they can't fuck it up without having to do extra work

Climbing was a legitimate skill in daggerfall.

But user FO4 has all these little things that make world feel alive.

The problem I think is that first person melee combat is really hard to do well
If you get to crazy with it you risk the player not knowing what the fuck is going on

Fuck it.

There isn't a whole lot in the desert except for like Fremen caves scattered about. You'd basically have to fast travel whenever you leave the capitol. Even if you didn't you'd either take a thropter or have to stutter walk the whole time.

Adding a kick button is not the end all be all solution to making good melee combat

Its not only kick button user. Its much better in sword combat than any TES game was.

And yet still greatly outclassed by third person games

He is right though. You can't make good combat in first person because you have no actual awareness of your (character's) body. Third person is always going to be superior in this regard.

Wait a minute
What if they're holding off because they want to make TESVI a vr game
Todd is fucking crazy enough to think they could pull that off

You can be disappointed in 3D!

Soon third person games won't even be a thing with all this VR bullshit going on.

Todd Howard really gives you a new dimension to look at these things.

But seriously, Todd loves his whole "live another life in another world" thing - he'll do it.

If only he did that. But since the gameworld is completely unresponsive to what the PC does any attempt to roleplay in a Bethesda game is pretty much virtual "LARPing", or just playing pretend in a game.

If it was anywhere remotely similar to LARPing, it would be much better and more responsive to player input.

Anyway, where are some games where I can roleplay for real? >inb4 tabletop

Your comments can't be applied to their last game. It completely fucking broke all possible larping.

>>>/tg/

I blame the urban folk. City dwellers. The ones who never see nature. The idea they can mod a game and go camping or hunting from their room? Wonderful. An adventure. I don't buy it. I go outside, animals don't behave like that. People don't behave like that.

Fuck cities. Fuck city people. Burn down New York I don't give a fuck.

He's a nigger!
That kid is a nigger!

The idea is generally to play a game in a world that isn't as boring as ours

I always hear from people living in villages that they hate city folks. But i never heard a single citizen of a city complaining about village folk.

So your anger is one sided, i am sorry.

>"If you want to climb that mountain, say Todd Howard is a swell guy!."

really?
there sure is a lot of that shit going on lately

Well, at least not in my slav countries.

Sooner or later paid mods will make a return, by the way. Maybe that's why its taking so long to develop TES VI, since they need completely new CK, that doesn't allow you to publish a mod without making a price mark for it.

There's only so many times you can deal with some dumbass driving his Crown Vic into a wash or bitching about how hard it is to drive behind a tractor because they're not willing to go through the dirt off the side of the road.

Calm down, Cletus, you seem disproportionately upset.

Thats fucking rich, were they thinking of making a good game this time or something?

No, they like Nobunaga. Too ambitious, but still dead.

All these posts about Fallout 4 in Morrowind Construction Set made me curious. I don't have 4 but I do have Skyrim.

This is what I came up with after 5 minutes in the set. I have never–never–used the set or any kind of modding tools before, but I've gotten the fucker to recognize and try to load Skyrim. It's failing, but I think a few more days of testing and learning will let me open them finally. I believe the problem is the lack of an esp, all the main files are esm.

Finally if you want to do this yourself:

gas yourself

Morowind had the worst atmosphere, though. Seriously, it was so bland it hurt.

Morrowind was too ambitious for gamebryo, and they still released three games after it.

Morrowwind was so ambitious they used the same fucking engine, slightly modified each iteration for 13 years.

Bethesda quality

Can you not Bethesfag?

Murder yourself.

Wow.

Am I the only jaded cunt who thinks RPGs got too video gamey? Shit like this breaks my immersion so bad.

The pendulum needs to start swinging in the other direction.

Now that scares me more than anything else.

Well, technically they may be working on the very basics of the game, but if they don't have all the technology yet that obviously means they can't go far with the development at this time.
Also, Todd said they've got prior projects. Big ones, too.

Oblivion was the only good TES game, and while Skyrim as bad, at least its world didn't put me to sleep.

Yes. It's so hard that it has been done successfully once before.

Granted, they HAVE THE PEOPLE WHO MADE DARK MESSIAH ON THEIR TEAM.

If they haven an ounce of shame they will at least make a new engine

Have you not played Chivalry?

Ah, you mean the game that Torn Banner intentionally sabotaged to get people to buy the DLC?

I don't count it as a success if they murdered their own game.

I didn't really care for Morrowind.

The roleplaying was good, as well as the story and immersion.

The music was fucking amazing

But you have a slow-ass move speed combined with combat that's just

Granted, the combat is only barely worse than skyrim's, and it's much easier to 'fix'.

GRAPHICS AND NO SUBSTANCE GRAPHICS AND NO SUBSTANCE

What are you talking about? Are you talking about the Deadliest Warrior DLC that no one fucking plays? I still play Chivalry regularly and don't have that DLC, nor do I ever plan to get it because there's literally no reason to.

There's a loudmouth fandom for it but it undersold from Bethesda's expectations and even the normalfags are right sick of their awful dlc

I know what you mean, but…I'm too biased to not say "you just gotta dump points into one specific combat mechanic, fam"

Morrowind is probably my favorite RPG after all these years, so, again, biased.

Both of those things are fixed exclusively by playing the game for like an hour and a half.

Its annoying starting, I agree but seriously its way too focal a point in peoples complaints and its kind of baseline for an RPG.

That's good for exactly one specific kind of combat, and nothing else

Fixed.

Skyrim had shitty magic but at least the spellcasting was pretty fun.

ARE WE BEING RAIDED? THIS IS NOT THE BOARD I WAS LURKING IN APRIL

Part of it's due to the fact that I pretty much only like games with satisfying movement or combat, so it kept me from getting into it.

But you can't deny that the beauty of the game is not the combat.

I still love the music too, I haven't even beaten the thing.

I hope you're not talking about me, user.

I'm not defending Skyrim, it's pretty much the shining example of how inept they are as developers.

>better magic than Oblivion
If by "fixed" you mean "neutered" then yeah, you did it.

Gee, I wonder why people would care about the gameplay in a video GAME…

What you're saying is comparable to saying "Oh, quake? That game where you have directional shooting and that's literally it?"

What other kinds of melee combat could you possibly be talking about?

Like everything else in the game, the spells were unsatisfying.

I didn't say it had better magic I a
Said it had better spellcasting.

The game is plenty fun to play, people just don't give it long enough before whining about it. Like you.

Read what I said again champ.

>except it is impossible to be a spellsword in Skyrim

I've given Morrowind FAR more time than I should have. I genuinely tried as hard as I could to like the game. I tried forcing myself to enjoy it and lying to myself to pretend it's good. But it's just not. It's boring as fuck, and that never changes regardless of how long you play. Literally the only slightly entertaining thing to do in Morrowind is to completely break the game with ridiculous buffs from alchemy, which just removes all purpose of playing and becomes boring after like 5 minutes.

The kind where you fight things other than other humanoids armed with similar melee weapons
The kind where you fight things that are much bigger than yourself
The kind where you fight other humanoids armed with similar melee weapons in ways that don't involve directly mashing your blades together

Their plan didn't work and they didn't fix the fucking game.

Have you ever noticed the pushbubbles around every player that they put into a melee game? Those weren't always fucking there. What about infinite feinting, mouse dragging, instant overheads? Not always there.

They intentionally added a shit ton of horrible mechanics to try to get people to buy Deadliest Warrior, because it didn't have any of them. It didn't fucking work, blew up in their face, and some people were so mad that they went off to go and make their own game entirely that now has as many players in its closed beta as chivalry has now.

I don't know what the fuck you're on about with the third point, but the first two don't sound fun for first person anyway. I hope you're not saying Dark Messiah did those things. Fighting the spiders wasn't done well, user.

Considering the amount of bugs in Bethesda games, I'd say everything they've made it too ambitious for them.

Well if your only complaint and what kept you from having fun with it for ALL THAT TIME was the first hour or two of missing in combat or walking slightly slower until your athletics leveled up I don't know what to tell you.

So you know how the system works yet you are absolutely bootyblasted by the first few steps you take into the game. Okay.

Good luck slinging spells with a greatsword, buddy.

Good luck casting haste spells while you're dual wielding, too.

So what you're saying is that first person combat can't work
Which is the point

I have no idea how any one of you could stand the shit combat that the series offered.

They followed the large amounts of cash that casuals provide.

I think they'll at least try to improve melee combat. How far will they get? Who knows. Zenimax owns Arkane, so if Todd has any sense, he'll just hire the guys who did Dark Messiah's combat as consultants.

Holla Forums is very representative of the larger consumer base.

Nobunaga succeeded in his goal, though.

For a game that's already as immersion-breaking as Skyrim, the CLEARED markers are useful. If they removed fast travel and hand-placed most NPC mobs (i.e., return to the Morrowind model), then that sort of marker would be both unnecessary and too artificial-feeling. But for Skyrim, it works.

I've heard that, and it has me curious, actually. I can't imagine them doing anything beyond Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Maybe he's talking about the Montreal studio? They did the card game, I think. Todd himself only has one team, and they only do production on one project at a time, so it's hard for me to believe that they'd be working on anything other than The Elder Scrolls.

What. I played Skyrim as a spellsword.

You don't like Morrowind, we get it. That doesn't mean it's a bad game. Back in the old days, RPGs didn't have action combat. They were just RPGs. Morrowind is done in that style–though, even when it came out, first-person was becoming associated with action gameplay.

kek

Fug, should be "not very representative"

I like, not love, Fallout 3 and 4 because they tickle my love for exploring old buildings and houses in a setting I also really like (post-apocalyptia and all that) while offering some slight, lite RPG elements.

They're great time wasters.

I never said that. It had nothing to do with missing either, especially since I was mostly casting anyway. It was just how boring the combat was. How boring the world was. How boring the music was. How boring the lifeless NPCs that just spat out lines like a vending machine were. Everything about the game was just boring.

This video looks really familiar. I'm pretty sure they made a thread on Holla Forums a long time ago. I can't remember if it was here on 8ch or back on 4chan though.

Why not stop being a faggot and play modded STALKER?

Yeah, I used to go around with a big ass sword and even bigger spells. Can't do that in Skyrim, that would be too cool.

I also play STALKER, I've got both Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat installed right now

You played Skyrim as Todd's Approved Spellsword. A guy who can have… one gimped weapon and one shitty spell. What's that, you wanted to block with your weapon and quickly respond with a counterspell? Get fucked, kid! You'll take your stream of fire and you'll like it. Maybe you want to be a paladin and defend yourself with a shield and hammer while throwing around light magic that fuck up zombies. Nope, enjoy swapping your shield or weapon EVERY SINGLE TIME you want to cast a new spell!

Removing the cast button was one of the biggest fuckups of Skyrim that nobody ever talks about.

I understand what I get into when I'm playing Fallout 3/4 and what I'm getting into when I'm playing something like STALKER, or Fallout 1 and 2. All of those games offer different gameplay experiences in the wasteland (zone), but they all appeal to being a lone fucker exploring some dusty, old abandoned building.

You're whiny and looking for a reason to whine like everyone else who brings up the missing in combat as a focal point.

Also, combat in morrowind was far more involved than in Oblivion or Skyrim where they watered it right the fuck down into a 1-100 damage scale and a single button swing.

Morrowind had swing directions, morrowind had a hit/miss system, morrowind had thrown fucking weapons.

You have grade A shit tier taste. I honestly doubt you put in as much time as you said you did.

Are you tryign to say Dragon's Dogma isn't popular?

please use archive.ism/2016/02/10/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-is-capcoms-fastest-selling-pc-title-to-date/

"Released on January 15, it has also become one of the top-three best-selling PC titles in company history. "

Morrowind was just

Just like the other games. The difference is that in Morrowind, it wasn't even remotely satisfying.

The cast button from oblivion was retarded and needed a rework

Is this what we're boiling Morrowind down to, now? Really, user?

You still "click click click" in later games, didn't you noticed that? You just always hit, that's the difference.

I've always thought they should just reduce your health. I use mods to pretty much halve it and make sure it doesn't go up very far on levelup.

It makes fights with bandits and wildlife like hotline miami, but dragons will fuck you up. At least, they would if I played as a dragonborn.

Maybe you should try reading the whole post?

You should also try reading the conversation, as what you said is entirely irrelevant.

Yes. Because that's what it is. The important thing is making it fun. Morrowind does not do this.

Yes, if by improve you mean clumsily copy features from popular mods without understanding what they're there for.

Are you the guy I told to dump stats into a particular combat mechanic? If not, do that and the clicking will be more satisfying for you.

But clarify something, are you predicating the fun of the game simply on the combat alone?

If most of the gameplay consists of combat, then yeah, fun is directly related to how well it is executed.

Morrowind has shit combat, and I will never understand what possessed them to combine skill based and real time, twitch combat the way they did.

reminder that capcom will never give it a sequel, nor open up Dragon's Dogma Online to the west

Titanfall was released in 2014, built on Source Engine.
Source Engine was released in 2004.

How? Literally all it does - all it CAN do - is cast whatever spell you have selected.

It's probably the simplest damn mechanic in the entire game.

You still haven't read the whole conversation, I see.

They said they'd like to do a sequel of the PC release did well. It did well so they have to make a sequel, r-right?

Which is why it's retarded
Why should magic be simple?
That's the fucking problem with melee combat to begin with

Uh… what? Why? How?

Then you are playing Morrowind for the wrong reasons. Either adjust your priorities in the game, or play a different one.

Like…I don't know what else to really tell you. Morrowind is about the adventure, coming home to a rainy, soaked Balmora after having explored the swamp lands to collect ingredients to craft a few potions to sell to the local merchant or use for yourself when exploring more dangerous areas.

The appeal of Morrowind is what lies over the hill, of making your own journeys.

And I tell you what I told him: adjust your priorities or play something else.

I think it's the best Bethesda game since Morrowind, myself. Though it comes with the caveat of being less of a proper RPG than any of their others in terms of everything except for factions, choice, writing, and characters.

Fallout 4 actually has sides to pick, multiple endings for lots of quests, a story that has more than one ending, and numerous companions that compliment different playstyles with their own approval/disapproval system that results in them reacting dynamically to your actions.

It pales in comparison to New Vegas but in terms of being a decent game it's leagues above Skyrim, Oblivion, and Fallout 3.

Which is what I did. Because Morrowind is fucking awful.

Different strokes for different folks. Sorry you can't enjoy Bethesda's best experience, fam.

>The game is about something else
If you want to be like that, morrowind could do the atmosphere way better too

It was the randomly generated quests that made me quit. As soon as I realized those quests from the brotherhood when you first meet them were always going to be the exact same quest in a different location, I just uninstalled the game.

These two don't mix.

I only read the (You) section, but I just looked at the other part of your post.

That's one of the problems, though. Morrowind was so bland, that I never gave a fuck what was "over the hill". There was not one moment where I was "immersed". The only thing I can say about the atmosphere is that the music literally gave me a headache because it was so repetitive.

You're the one who couldn't be bothered to accept the combat and learn the game is about way more than clicking.

Also
Skyrim may have done nature really well, but saying Morrowind doesn't have atmosphere is blatantly wrong.

Did you ever go wandering in the ashlands? Did you ever stumble upon a hidden treasure vault in the wilderness? Did you ever find distraught pages scattered amongst volcanic ash, did you ever find the message in a bottle in the sea of ghosts?

I guess pretty graphics are for you then. Morrowind doesn't have that, I'll be the first to admit.

Okay.

It lets you hold two spells, one in each hand
That's marginally better than being able to cast with a two handed weapon out, in my opinion

Graphics have nothing to do with it. I get more immersion from Dwarf Fortress adventure mode than I did from Morrowind.

Also I think you need to learn what IDs are.

Using magic is simple in every fucking game; in Morrowind you use magic by clicking the magic button twice (unless you're using an enchantment, in which case you only need to click once), in Oblivion you use magic by clicking the magic button once and in Skyrim you use magic by equipping the spell and pressing the attack button.

It's always been a retarded simple mechanic, both from a gameplay perspective and an in-universe perspective. Once mages in TES learn a spell they can cast it simultaneously as much as they want until their magica runs out - no preparation, no cooldowns. Although in the 400 years between Oblivion and Skyrim they apparently forgot how to hold weapons and cast spells at the same time, so there's that.

Seriously m8?

They may have been true in Arena and Daggerfall, but by Morrowind the direction of the series was changing.

Alright, I guess. I mean, on a surface level Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim are all very, very similar titles. If you liked either or over Morrowind, I'd like to hear your reasoning why.

Please explain yourself without using solely meme arrows, user

Every time

Just because it's simple doesn't mean it's bad. Push-to-cast worked fine in Morrowind and better in Oblivion and made hybrid characters more fun than in Skyrim.

Would you care to actually discuss why you think it's bad instead of "magic in fantasy games should be difficult and complex because I say so"?

I just spent like, what, 2 hours reading this and it's even worse than I thought. So absolutely terrible, Jesus Christ.
I'm just sad now.

In morrowind and oblivion(mostly oblivion for obvious reasons), there was absolutely no reason to specialize as a mage
I mean, there still really isn't because magic in skyrim still sucks, but for different reasons

Shit, I had a whole response ready for your other post, but then I had to go do shit and I come back to this retarded crap.

Give me one reason to not use a melee weapon or bow in oblivion

No explosions?

That's not a very good reason

Seriously, the magic system isn't good to begin with, so that's really not a good reason
It's like choosing between two different looking arrows that do the same damage

It sold less than half a million units on PC, so yes, I'd say it's not terribly popular.

wew lad

And Source Engine is an evolution of Quake's engine, same as the Gamebryo story at a basic level

My point was that the engines have changed enough that they are not interchangeable anymore, that really doesn't seem to be the case with Gamebryo & "Creation Engine"

(Actually, Morrowind was arguably still NetImmerse, but that makes Bethesda look even worse)

Not a meme fuck off