RPG games are broken

RPG games are essentially broken in terms of your character efficiency. Most roleplaying games allow you to spend your points into either combat skills, or choose to sacrifice your skills into charisma, lockpicking and other unrelated skills.

But the efficient way in every single RPG is to only raise combat stats. You sacrifice your points to make lockpicking better? Yeah, you can receive some shitty sword from a locked treasure chest. But some huge mob can have better sword after just a hour of gameplay, and with more points spent into combat stats it can deal even more damage.

You think charisma makes story progress better, but sometimes killing everyone and progressing through the game, gaining more power is more efficient and faster than trying to lie, confess or spare stupid npcs, that usually won't change game's ending anyway. Spending points in sneaking to steal stuff from shops? In not shitty games you just kill shop keeper and take all the stuff after. You are robbing him anyway, but this way you are getting more experience points. Also melee combat is completely fucking useless in games where ranged weapons and guns are in decent amount.

So it ends up that the most efficient way to play any rpg - just put all your points into Vitality and Damage (for your favorite weapon or magic school of choice). Even as a mage you usually use your best spell if there's no cooldown. Everything else is for roleplaying garbage that makes game only harder to progress. Only some buff magic like healing can make some difference in older games, where you always needed to carry with you a cleric, but even in those games its more efficient to tank everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's just a game bro.

But isn't the game is about pushing yourself to beat author's challenges, that are put before you in this particular game?

People who levelup hacking, lockpicking, charisma and other optional shit are obviously limiting themselves without any gain.

As someone who almost exclusively plays shitty weeb rpgs and the occasional western one, I can't even think of a game or series your argument applies to outside of the elder scroll games and nu-fallout bethesda games.

You sound like you play shit RPGs, son.

Maybe rpgcodex.net/ can help.

Your idea of an RPG is a mess

You talk about things as if there is a game that has all the features you describe despite it not being the case. You are raising an argument against an imaginary game to make yourself feel smarter.

idgaf fam tbh

chess is 100% RPG

It's almost like you're meant to roleplay or something

Come again?
OP, the very premise of your thread seems flawed.

Roleplaying in a role playing game? My god, who would DO such a thing?

People who roleplay in rpgs are the worst.

This is autism when you stop understanding that its just a game.

I can relate to this fellow.

mirin

2/10 here's your reply

People who play RPGs to minmax and crunch numbers are fucking cancer. Why do I spare the NPC, when I can get more EXP and loot or killing him? Because I play my character as somebody who doesn't do that kind of shit! Who even cares about being efficient? It's been ages since I saw an RPG that wasn't easy as shit even with retarded builds (the example being AoD, but there half the fucking game lay on your non-combat skills, so that doesn't fit you examples anyway).

exception* fuck

There's the mistake.

You're doing this on purpose, I hope.

Completely unrelated, but:
Am I the only one who finds it absolutely dull to roleplay a character in an elder scrolls game who happens to be born under the best sign for their job? "I was born under the thief. I'm a thief." is so fucking boring and turning a cool detail about the world into nothing more than +stat

We're breaking into a nobles crypt to steal a solid gold amulet they say he was burried in. As soon as we touch his sarcophagus an armored zombie comes alive: the lord's bodyguard, enchanted and risen to serve and protect his master to the end of days. But I'm born under the ritual– and after we weaken him a bit, I'm able to cast turn undead on him, giving us time to steal the amulet and get away.

Beef McStronghuge was the strongest, hugest, guard the people had ever heard of, and was regarded to be dumber than the rocks he could crush with his bare fists. But, being born under the lady (and yes he will hit you if you joke about it), he had a mind for magic; couldn't tell you a thing about how it works, but the son on a bitch could shoot a fireball outta his gauntlets when he really needed to.

Give your character something that doesn't fit with the main thing they do, and force yourself to find situations that play with both.

That's why they removed birthsigns in skyrim :^)

Elder Scrolls games are dull full stop.

Sounds like your playing some shitty RPGs, OP. That or you have no patience for the alternate playstyles that are apparently inefficient.

I hope you're just talking about narrative roleplaying. Otherwise that statement is as retarded as saying "people who shoot things in shooters are cancer."