The year is 2077

Seriously, though. Did they ever explain why there was a technological (in some areas) and a cultural stagnation to this degree in the US? Did the country enforce a policy of extreme conformity through literal cultural marxism?

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Divergence
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_marine_propulsion#Civilian_nuclear_ships
barentsobserver.com/en/sections/society/russia-designs-nuclear-train
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_floating_nuclear_power_station
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fallout is based on a future where transistors were never invented. Basically everything electrical in your house is dependant on electronics that use transistors as a basis for circuitry. Google that shit if you wanna know more.

Because it's the imagined future of 1950's sci-fi.

Wasn't it explained as an oil crisis impacted plastics manufacturing, or they never invented the microprocessor or something? I don't remember exactly, but it's something like that.

They never invented transistors and plastics in the FO timeline, so some of the base means to miniaturize technology didn't exist to do so.

Fallout 4 returned transistors. You got here wrong.

They had plastics, they were just rare due to the oil shortages.

Did you even try?

transistors weren't invented until about 5 years before the bomb dropped, instead of miniaturization of electronics, they focused on miniaturization of atomic power sources, yet strangely they didn't figure out how to make a nuclear-powered car until the last 20 years of organized humanity.

Don't take that side of fallout too serious, it's like trying to find logic for the mutant animals.

FO4 retconned like half the lore, so pretty much no hardcore Fallout fans even count it.

That's interesting, I always assumed the explanation was "fuck you it's a theme"

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible

Nobody cares what Bethfallout says about anything in the setting anymore than Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

It is based on the late 40/1950s idea of the future.

Vacuum tubes and yes they really believed in atomic power.

Bethesda may have bought the IP but Fallout 1 and 2 are barely related.

With Fallout 4 stupid phone.

Fallout is a shitty meme franchise that needs to die

It died years ago.

No you stupid fuck

In the Fallout Universe, Nuclear energy took over all other forms of energy

This means the microtransistor was never invented

Which means no LCD screens and all computers are still analog

Alright, fair enough. But why did the cultural elements of the US stay frozen after more than 100 years? Given what we know of pre-war America, was this a deliberate choice by the government?

What? We don't even have Fallout 3.

Because the Cold War never ended.

I never really understood where most of the retro stuff came from. In Fallout 1 there was a retro aesthetic to certain things but it never felt prominent except in terms of Patriotism and anti-communism.

There was more focus on the destruction that was going on during the final days leading up to the bombs going off. There was no picturesque suburban homes with Wife and 2 kids, it was like the Great Depression on steroids mixed and the American republic turned Fascist to try and combat this.

Here's an actual question. Why the fuck are there no new artists in the time span of the 60s to when the bombs dropped.

Apparently hippies ruined everything and everybody became conservative as fuck, thus commencing a cultural estagnation on the US.

Because it would have cost Bethesda money to license new retro-y sounding music from more recent musicians.

That explain why no new artists exist just people listening to the same 50s rock and country for over a hundred years.

I think all they go with is cultural stagnation due to war/fear of war

If you want a better explanation they don't bother giving one.

Because the nationalism from the 1950s continued into the present day. I don't know whether or not wars like Vietnam happened in Fallout, or how they went, but presumably the economic boom from that time never really stopped. The artists had no reason to do anything different because there was nothing different to express.

There were new artists, according to the radio selection in NV. However, if what is saying is true, then there is probably a political reason behind the lack of selection.

Society/the government probably did away with and discouraged any cultural elements that would have been too challenging to the status quo.

I have a theory
-because CDs are subject to disk rot bot vinyl isn't, vinyl has a longer shelf-life than CDs, so its most likely only music on old records survived

This is the most likely real-life reason though, because using retro music is a good excuse to include licensed songs in your game that hipsters eat the shit out of and are cheap as fuck. Most music in Fallout is complete trash but hipsters still eat it up because "hurrr so retro!" Yeah, its all old musical numbers and novelty songs for fucks sake

CDs were never even invented in Fallout.

In Fallout history plastic never really became what it was in ours, and neither did transistors/LEDs. The point is that its a future as imagined by people in the 1950s, which is why everything is nuclear powered, the culture is still very reminiscent of the 50s, and why the cold war continued for so long. People think that their way of life will stay constant even as technology changes, and their way of life was 50s culture plus the fear of communist Russia/China and thermonuclear war.

Of course Fallout 4 retcons all of this to some degree because now we have microprocessors powerful enough to simulate human consciousness in the androids and plastics widespread enough that doggy bowls are made out of them.

It's what people in the 50s thought the future would be like, and when you ask a normal person to think of music in the future they just think of whatever is becoming popular now and can't actually come up with their own music since they aren't musicians (If I asked someone today about it, they'd just think of a dubstep or EDM song on their mind). It's the same reason why the robots are all impractical and the only technology invented was just the stuff that your average person in the 50s would think of (like laser guns).

Fallout was styled to be a juxtaposition between the utopian visions of a golden age of science and humanity as envisioned in the 30's/40's/50's - and the horrors of a reality in a post-resource world where the realities of human nature have corrupted and destroyed that dream.

Because the people who dreamed of those utopian futures were imagining them from their vantage point in the technology of the day, their visions also incorporated the same (only better versions) common technologies. Hence, why it's in Fallout.

There is no real in-game lore that takes the aesthetic too seriously and trys to explain in it in-depth in lore. And whenever convenient, it's been circumvented and more modern technology used to create this weird pseudo-retro-futuristic mix.

Bethesda doesn't quite get this, though, and regularly tries to portray 2077 as if it were a 1950's sit-com world like Leave it to Beaver.

Well most of their media comes from holotapes so it's likely that during the mass production of music holotapes there was preferential treatment given to older music. Stuff like Classical music and the popular music of the 40s and 50s.

everyone knows that only fo1 fo2 and new vegas are 100% canon. tactics maybe and fo3 a bigger maybe.

tl;dr transistors were never invented and after WWII scientists put all their focus into atomic research rather than electrical research, so we're left with a 2077 where some things are ridiculously more advanced than what we've got, IE nuclear cars and bombs of tons more power than our own, but much more primitive computers and televisions.

I really wish there was version of the Fallout wiki that considers everything Bethesda made non-canon.

the only reason I more lenient to fo3 is that it's not nearly as shit as bos or fo4

that and new vegas treats it like canon

And yet they have mastered teleportation, AI, even synthetics.
God, I hate FO3 and 4

What a massive fucking cuckold.

I have to ask about this pic.
Havent played FO4 yet (waiting for goty) but i've gathered that it's something shit shit shit with you either playing the dad/mom finding your wife/husband and you're off:^) kid the story.

I remember there bein some outcry/memes whatever about the kid being nigger but is it true that it'l be that even if you make both parents into white aryans or was it just some shitty trailer?

because licensing old music is cheaper and more effective than making something original that captures the same feeling. 99% of Fallout lore is just asspulls to justify a bunch of west coast/east coast faggots anti-Amercian anarchocommie fanwank anyway.

I don't remember transistors ever being mentioned in fallout 4

He really shills for Bethesda. It could also be the path of least resistance and admitting you no longer have control over the lore.

Bethesda are just shitty developers and can't into textures. Your brat's skin colour depends on the player's and his waifus/husbandos skin colour

Didn't Fallout 2 have AI?

Again, it's the future imagined by people in the 50s (and a bit of the 80s); they advanced enough that once they finally invented transistors they managed to develop AIs quick enough.

Fallout has a kind of weird mix of technology that's at some points portrayed fantastically and others semi-realistically. With massive oil shortages from the Middle East nuking itself, coal/wood powered steam trucks came back for a while before miniature nuclear reactors for cars and trucks were developed. Probably helps that the US Commonwealth was basically run by a handful of megacorporations (Poseidon Energy, RobCo and such) who likely held an iron grip on patents.

Of course, technology varies, hence why you get power armour and laser guns alongside rifles, revolvers and machine guns. And in some places (mostly Big MT) technology has developed to crazy levels, but generally been used entirely irresponsibly and/or kept solely for military purposes.

Also the culture and government was a shithole; the 50s attitude basically enforced CCP-style where the government would go on about freedom and the American way of life while all but the most token actual uses of that freedom would get you in shit quick. Political dissidents would get rounded up and sent off to camps for slave labour and/or science experiments, along with foreigners and anyone else who doesn't fit in. Imagine if people like McCarthy never had the fall from grace and your gran's friends on Facebook were in charge of the country.

there was an AI in the first game.

It was also fukken huge and analogue

Though whats the deal with robots then?
Since we know the mr handy at least predates F3

Is there anything in the Fallout lore about Israel? Are (((they))) to blame for everything again?

Would be pretty nice tbh.

Israel gets nuked pretty early on and is never implicated in anything.

I think you might be talking about Mad Max.
They are essentialy the same things, though.

>>>Holla Forums

Nice dubs.

As I recall doesn't the T-51 incorporate plastics into its armour material?

On the subject of power armour though. I've got an interesting theory on how the T-60 and T-45 fit into the whole history of power armour development in the falloutverse.
Yes I know they're both made by bethesda but still. It explains shit.

Essentially the T-51 was in development prior to the development of the T-45. Which was put together quickly and rushed out due to a pressing need for power armour infantry. Hence its use of the same underlying technology but steel armour plating rather than the fancy composite material of the T-51. And why it's general design looks more sensible and in line with something you'd expect from a tanks armour plating.

The T-51 was finished and put out but while its armour material was exceptional the design was kind of silly overall. Like the sloping front section that was pretty much guaranteed to result in richochets to the neck.
So the T-60 incorporated the materials tech of the T-51 with the better shaping of the T-45.

And nobody cares. Because this is all just stupid videogame shit.

The fallout setting borrowed from other post-apocalypse games and movies.

not to say it didn't borrow from mad max, but it had other inspirations along with it.

The fallout universe is fucking shit.

It's easier to just put together a few of the scraps laying around than to go through the process of making bricks.

You're right though.
Nobody cares.

Bethesda shoved wads of thousand dollar bills up his ass and he stopped caring about the lore real quick.

There's AI and prorotype cyborgs/androids in 1 and 2. They're not as advanced or futuristic as the bullshit in 4 though.

Israel got nuked by an (((Arab))) coalition in the Middle East. It was one of the first nations to get blown up.

I think Bethesda wanted to do a more striking difference between pre and post war worlds.
While in the original two the idea was that it was really just a gradual slide with the nukes being sort of a cherry on a shit pie.

The universe fallout is set in never developed transistors until a few years before the bombs dropped. It diverged from our own universe sometime shortly after WW2.

more likely that the some of the writers really like Bladerunner and don't care if it fits because they'll get paid either way.

Oh the synths?

Well they're the product of continuing research and development by what was essentially a military research complex.
So sort of plausible

I had an idea for such a type of game once, didn't develop it far, but i liked the idea of having 3 different factions

-faction one: extreme pragmatist faction, power based upon trade, sticks close to the rivers. Exploits a huge natural gas field, so nearly all their weaponry is flamethrowers/ rocket launchers/ poison grenades / gas-powered rifles. Moves in small, but elite packs of people with excellent equipment.

-second faction is the mainly land based commies, with inferior equipment (some use bows) and scavenged equipment. Show up in large numbers, and it's easy to get overwhelmed. Randomized equipment for these groups means that what looked like a light encounter suddenly contains a heavily armoured man with a stolen flamethrower

-faction three: the futurist faction, whom want to save the wasteland by intorucing new technologies, show up in combined groups of low-tech, low-equipment serfs and high-tech leaders (think, lazer rifles/ deflectors)

Just having factions that play very differently in combat seems like an obvious thing to do yet it doesn't seem to come out much outside of NV

The ideas guy thread is this way

It was nothing short of horseshit that FO4 used some of the same songs as FO3. Lazy garbage like that is, alone, reason enough to drop the game

8/10 bait, fell for it.

how do robots and computers work in the fallout universe? i mean there are robobrains, which are basicly human brains put into a robot, but what about the others? you can build a computer with relays and shit like that but they cant do much more than basic math,

They took lots of songs from FO3 the rest they took from music mods like CONELRAD. It was so lazy and cheap I was actually shocked.

Fallout 4 was one big "Thanks for the ideas and work you done modders. We'll be taking it and making millions of it. Work harder for us next time suckers and we'll give you paid mods and maybe a job at Bethesda (LOL not really)."

The only thing they did better than NV was actually having part 2 of Butcher Pete. That's the only thing I can give Bethesda any credit for and it's the most obvious thing you can do.

Try playing a good fallout game mate.

It's 1950s SCIENCE!, it doesn't have to make sense. Science fiction writers from that era wrote stories with intelligent robots and interstellar travel in which people still used slide rules to do math.

They are culturally superior than us. Only a brainwashed SJW would call our leftist culture "progressive".

If by (((they))), you mean ayy lmao aliens. Then yes. It's all just one big intergalactic punk on the human race at worst, and at best, we were pawns caught in the middle of an intergalactic alien war.

Except metal structures get really fucking hot in the warmer months, especially with global warming and nuclear annihilation killing most of the shade bearing trees. Mud bricks, at the very least, which should be easy to make since much of the commonwealth is made of swampy mud being so close to the shoreline - would help insulate against the heat in the summer, and keep the hut warm in the winter. A lot of current day cultures that are supposedly far less technologically sophisticated than even FO3/4's dumbest wasters use mud and cow shit to build their homes for exactly that reason.

Don't try to rationalized Bethesda's shit design. The only reason why you're nailing together heaps of junk into pile that resembles a structure is because it looks stereotypically "post-apocalyptic" - despite being two centuries after the bombs dropped. That's literally the only reason.

Fuck, scratch that. While true, it's more about insulating against the heat during the scorching daylight hours - while holding the heat from cooking fires in during the frigid nights.

In fact, while it takes more effort, a mud hut requires less to build. You can start with absolutely nothing and make a hut that looks better and performs better than a junk shack, even though the junk will need tools and tricky things like nails.

That's Fallout 2, though. Even in Fallout 1, they had sandcrete/mud brick structures.

Because intros of FO1&2 were "theme setters" FO4 kept FO3's shit because entirety of the game and its expansions are all about nostalgia.

FO3 and 4 is built around maymays. I seriously doubt they gave a fuck about soundtrack.

War… war never changes, because Aliens never change.

I agree, Mr. Farage

In FO everything based on petroil doesn't exist because petroil doesn't exist. This is why nuclear energy was so popular.

At least until FO3 and 4, where they lorefucked everything

That always bugged me with that FO3 DLC how they implied that the aliens instigated the great war, then they added the ancient alien shit into FO4.

I've asked this before and haven't found an answer.
If I want a game that has FPS-style urban combat, with customizable weapons, and a base/settlement I can build myself, do I have any alternative to modded Fallout 4?

Dean Martin, Sammy Davis and Sinatra were pretty big leading artists in the 40s and 50s.

I wonder what people will say about Beyonce or Deadmaus fifty years from now?

In Deus Ex lore Israel was invaded by Arab nations like in the Yum Kippur war.

Only this time the Jews lost because the Arabs used asymmetric warfare, cyber warfare and commandos equipped with stealth camo.

they'll be forced to listen to it in school.

Actually the Illuminati engineered an Arab victory against Israel.

And yet the jews were still behind it all.

Except for the (((Enclave))) controlling everything from behind the U.S.'s urge to "Democratize" everything, leaving the country to burn, as they laughed it off in their oil plats.

I'm sure this era will be a paramount section of the Trump Library, in a few years.

is that deus ex?

Human Revolution

What a stupid question, why didn't you read Fallout lore before asking it. Fallout takes place in an alternate timeline where humanity decided to use nuclear power in almost everything instead of fossil fuels like we do. Cars have miniature nuclear reactors inside them etc. Also transistors were never invented hence the tube monitors.

looks like someone got lost on their way to Holla Forums

The Cold War never ended in Fallout, it lasted for over a hundred years, hence the culture staying similar

Stupidest excuse I've heard, are you saying right wing people don't create art? If anything, they create objectively superior art, just look at any renaissance paintings or statues and compare it to the modern garbage.

Developers say so.

Its a dark humor story about people clinging to old world values and thus never really making any progress.

Kind of a liberal agenda when you think about it.

Take a look at the developers.

They're about as redpilled as Mike Judge.

Almost exclusively on the East Coast, though. On the West Coast, most of the vehicles still ran on fossil fuels - and as a result, people would just run them until they couldn't afford gas anymore and then just leave them at the side of the road or parked in the driveway.

Pretty sure the Soviet Union still crumbled in FO's timeline, and the Cold War against China was not a continuation of that. Most of the "cold war" propaganda against the Chinese was a smokescreen for the US government to provide not only an enemy to blame their problems on - but justification for the arrest and internment of American citizens who spoke out against the government or promoted civil unrest as the resource crisis caused the country around them to crumble down around them.

Avellone follows Lwu and Sarkeesian.

Which devs are you talking about?

Doom RLA aka Rouge-Like Arsenal for ZDoom might be the thing for you.

that was some seriously good shit.

Soviet Union still existed in Fallout 1 m8. Read Natalia's bio, one of the pre-made characters. I think Natalia was her name, maybe not.

Yeah, that's right. I forgot about her.
Still, they weren't a major antagonist to the US. Europe's shit fell apart pretty quickly after the war with the middle east, and I can't imagine Russia could hold on to their territories very effectively once the gas started to run thin. China and the US were basically the last two contenders still standing at the end that COULD fight over the last few drops of oil.

THE GOYIM KNOW

Soviet Union or even today Russia is the one putting nuclear reactors on everything that moves…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_marine_propulsion#Civilian_nuclear_ships

barentsobserver.com/en/sections/society/russia-designs-nuclear-train

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_floating_nuclear_power_station

What's assumed is that the IRL Chinese-Russian crisis dug deep, and instead of China getting closer to the US, the Soviet Union got closer to the US, then possibly went isolationist.

I don't think you get it, user.

Mike Judge is a faggot.

Fallout 3/4 isn't canon.