Littlebigplanet servers are getting shut down in Japan at the end of July for all games released, even the PS4 game

Littlebigplanet servers are getting shut down in Japan at the end of July for all games released, even the PS4 game

What does this say about the NA or EU servers potentially going down soon, too?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160701144745/https://twitter.com/StevenIsbell/status/748822446979944448
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It means online focus on consoles was a mistake and part of they reason 7th gen and onwards is pure trash

Didnt mean to sage

The creation tools can still be used offline though, right? Either way it still says a lot when now that most multiplayer services will eventually shut down, and you'll probably be able to count the amount or worthwhile 7th gen games on one hand or two.

Also the weirdest thing in this announcement is that though the services are going down, you can still buy the DLC

Likely, many people use it offline to share shit between friends.

So all those user created levels are just gone? At least you can go through the story I guess, it's not a worthless purchase like MAG or something.

I wonder if this is something to do with the third game being a mess for adding too many features to turn it into a glitch-fest.

This could also mean LBP was just another PlayStation series to stay for a while only to disappear and never touch ever again.

I still don't know why Sony didn't buy out Naughty Dog and make Crash their mascot.

This game lasted way longer than it should have, especially in Japan where console gaming might as well be dead. If you look at the Japan perspective, it's easy why it's dying. It cannot compete with new releases in Japan, especially in the mobile gaming market which is nearly the entirety of the Japanese gaming market worth so much money (thanks, Puzzles & Dragons) so a game like this can't compete. Besides, the mascot character is kind of creepy.

I heard that they didn't exactly owned Crash and that he came from Universal or something, and i think they bought ND when they made Jak or something, i don't know.

One could write a book over all the shit that happened with LBP games over the years and how the online community changed.
A lot of shit happened.

I remember firing up LBP 1 and then later 2 back in the day and trying out random levels at night, it was relaxing so it would help me sleep.
This series had some good moments all things considered.

I'll never forget

Sony already confirmed they will shut down LittleBigPlanet Karting and LittleBigPlanet PSP servers in the west, but LBP1,2 and 3 will remain intact. For now.

web.archive.org/web/20160701144745/https://twitter.com/StevenIsbell/status/748822446979944448

Definitely. From the simple levels of the first days to the flood of "bomb survival" shit to the crazy shit that was possible in the second game to having a 5+ hours interactive movie with voice acting made, it was a pretty crazy ride.

Wonder why they are shutting down the Japan servers, the Japs did some crazy good shit in the game even if they weren't a powerful presence in the community.

They're probably not abandoning LBP, it's one of Sony's cash cows. The first game is just pretty damn old. Not to mention any worthwhile content you can get for building/characters can be transferred to 3 by just booting it up on your PS3. If they ever do make a new LittleBigPlanet, I'd assume MediaMolecule will be back to work on and refine the mess that 3 was and make an ACTUAL 3, not a 2.5.

I wonder what popular video game/movie/television/comic book brand are they going to use as DLC to attrack more people.

They just did Steven Universe a while ago.

With the amount of costume DLCs they keep releasing no way they are gonna give up on LBP any time soon

They were all in a discounted bundle a week before discontinuation, shoulda got em then.

Karting was terrible, and the PSP is dead. Nobody will miss Karting.

Feels great.
Can't wait for Super Mario Maker and Splatoon to get the axe so I can laugh at the salt.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

They really should have just kept the DLC to only be Vidya related.

It wasn't limited when it was first put up, I think the just license expired, same with MvC.
Yeah I know, but we all have something we'd be a sucker for.
I'd have bought pic related in a heart beat if it actually existed.

So what, if I (god forbid) buy an EA FIFA game and it their exclusivity licenses lapses, I have no game to download on Steam?

MM is working on dreams now which seems to be little big planet on steroids in the way that the general pitch of the game seems that absolutely everything from the models to the music and sounds is user generated with the editor scheme of that google 3D drawing thing. Which sounds absolutely amazing but too good to be true. Im staying sceptical but this still might be amongst one of the only things im kind of looking forward to this year. If people already built amazing shit with the limitations of lbp engine and gameplay. Imagine what people would whip up with an editor that gave them complete freedom over all the assets used.

I had an actual blast playing the first 2 LBP games, especially with online friends.

It's so sad, all those memories made, levels and everything. Gone. At least for the Japanese But who knows how long until the U.S. servers get taken down, too?