mfw

Zachary Turner
Zachary Turner

and special guest
xXxNIGGERSxXx

Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Then:
beat final boss that you've been stuck on for a considerable amount of time that tests your understanding and mastery of all the game's mechanics
watch ending cutscene that neatly wraps up the plot with a satisfying conclusion while serving as denouement and providing catharsis for the player
credits roll, showing the people responsible for the game alongside a triumphant or subdued music track and some artwork or a pleasant backdrop, a few minutes long at most
at the end, the developers thank the player for taking the time to experience their game
game loop ends at the final screen, giving the player the satisfaction of shutting the console off as a meaningful gesture

Now:
beat unchallenging damage sponge boss, likely a beefed up version of the identical enemies you've been fighting for the entire game
walk up to the boss's corpse to execute an overly-long QTE that I'm sure the animators worked very hard on considering how much I would rather be finishing off the boss myself
game finishes on a cheap cutscene that barely touches upon anything else in the story and obviously only exists to facilitate sequels, typically involves a hamfisted title drop or snarky quip courtesy of the protagonist or their obnoxious sidekick
hour-long credits sequence set to a forgettable licensed song followed by several generic "exploration" tracks that the player's likely heard 200 times by the game's end, details every member of the 500-man crew that the engine was outsourced to, every foreign division of the publisher and their respective packs of lawyers and bureaucrats that likely don't even know the game's name and could care less, all the shitty usernames of the closed beta participants and kickstarter backers, the staff of the starbucks across the street from the development team's office building, the production babies, the production babies' production babies, and the special thanks that makes sure to include several professional victims and ecelebs that had jack shit to do with the game as well as all the shitheel game journalists that gave the game 9.8/10 after getting their free copy and box of complimentary merchandise in the mail, all against a black background with white text
after the credits, the game plugs the upcoming DLC (that's really just an unlock code for content that's already on the disc) and tells you to buy the six consecutive season passes that collectively cost three times what you already paid for the game (most likely $60 USD or some inflated bullshit price in another country)
afterwards, the game boots you back to the title screen so you can get right back to grinding for item drops for use in the shitty online multiplayer and chipping away at the mountain of hackneyed, boring sidequests still left in the campaign that yield no reward but some "achievements" that'll just be reset or overshadowed when the next DLC comes out

Jayden Bennett
Jayden Bennett

Then:
Game ends with credits
Takes you to main menu after, typically giving you some kind of reward weapon/costume you can access in NG+
Now:
Game ends when you get sick of dicking around in the open world
Only reward for doing the "final(until DLC)" mission is not having an objective indicator on your HUD
Credits are an optional feature accessible from the main menu instead of a way to thank the developers when the game's over

Lincoln Cruz
Lincoln Cruz

if the credits are there it's just white text over a black screen just like in the movies xd

Jose Morris
Jose Morris

Remember when credits didn't take fucking 40 minutes?
This shit is driving me up the wall because I usually watch them to see if there is a secret scene afterwards and it is killing me.

Also last time I saw credits that entertained me would be in Tales of monkey island chapter 3

Lincoln Young
Lincoln Young

Examples of games?

Noah Hughes
Noah Hughes

And special guest: XxXDetectiv_BONG_HiTsXxX

Jaxson Parker
Jaxson Parker

somebody died before the end of the level
credits roll
in memory of [username here]

Daniel Hall
Daniel Hall

I like it when they thank you for playing. I know they don't mean it, but they tried.

Cooper Sanders
Cooper Sanders

I was just listing general traits of the eras, the main games I was thinking of were Mario 64 for the first part and Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, and Destiny.

Benjamin Ramirez
Benjamin Ramirez

CONGRATULATIONS user YOU DID IT!!

Gets me every time.

Mason Williams
Mason Williams

Stuff like that is always nice. I watched my girlfriend finish her first run in Dragon's crown and when the credits bring up "And a special thanks to YOU for playing" or something like that, she actually responded with an "awwww you're welcome"

Brandon Smith
Brandon Smith

Then: It was the same
Now: You've grown jaded.

Hudson Howard
Hudson Howard

Shit, this doesn't need examples. It's literally every game. Compare, oh, Sonic, Castle of Illusion, or fucking Mega Man to, say, the latest Assassin's Creed that got shat out.

Jacob Cooper
Jacob Cooper

Devs include an unlockable thanking the player for their time.
They never develop another game in the series themselves again.

Remember when starting up a game didn't take 20 seconds or longer as they show the publisher logo, the developer logo, the audio logo, the engine logo, etc, every time, sometimes unskippably?

Ethan Howard
Ethan Howard

AND YOU!

Andrew Rivera
Andrew Rivera

credits playing
I see you driving 'round town with the girl I love and I'm like

Christopher Watson
Christopher Watson

Anyone's got that webm of the end of the credits in DmC and then Donte's VA shows up and flips you off while going away in a skateboard?

Jack Miller
Jack Miller

Come to think of it, wouldn't MGSV be an extreme case of this?

Chase Lee
Chase Lee

I had the exact same nickname

Ayden Bennett
Ayden Bennett

No, fuck you

William Gomez
William Gomez

No user. Life wasn't a basket of roses back then, but it was better.

Jaxson Stewart
Jaxson Stewart

using shitty reddit memes as your nickname
The only acceptable nickname is a terrible Big Boss pun.

Caleb Carter
Caleb Carter

It as different, I don't know if I would say better.

Eli Bennett
Eli Bennett

Who did that other than Left 4 Dead?

Isaac Jackson
Isaac Jackson

every single Ubisoft game from Assassins Creed and beyond
every single Bamham game (especially Arkham City)
Saints Row 3 and 4
Battlefield Bad Company and beyond

Andrew Diaz
Andrew Diaz

basically what you deserve for playing that shit

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit