Thoughts on Unreal II?

Thoughts on Unreal II?

The only things I remember about that game are burning spiders, and that the review was one of the first things I read on Something Awful. Nothing really sticks out as memorable or noteworthy about it.

Extremely problematic

fuck off 4chan

it's so fucking slow

It's mediocre and forgettable. Play the original.

Were the devs implying what I think they're implying?

it's shit

Unreal 2 is really forgettable. I remember installing it and the intro bit and then giving up on it.

Unreal is a series of games that are tech demos since 2k4

Were there any non-tournament games after 2004? I can't think of any.

Take note: in future do not explain things. It is boring as texture filtering.

UT 2003 had a good looking assault rifle.

Unreal has great looking multiplayer, lots of variety.

Hard for a game to be good now with Jews, Germand and the whole shebang. Too looked at too much money and direction.

No explanation, after all it's Unreal. Cut out the big torsos. Looks fucking stupid.

Make multiplayer maps. Don't need a story to connect them.

Now make a singleplayer freeroam with all that good shit placed at whim by the will of doubles.

Trudge along with a host of weapons. Your trusty scout robot throws at you on switches and harvests ammo for you so you keep focus on doing things. Robot can be female for those lonely night cycles. Cloaks to save performance. Later in game collect pieces of manequins and such, wigs, clothes and dress it like a woman, flatter her. Carry the ammo yourself so she can use her legs, arms.

Acts as reason to go on.

World, tattered and otherwise. Get the backstory as you go. Assign priorities to upgrades like in Homeworld research trees, what your scout hottie takes notice of, how far she can get from you salvaging, how much she carries, where to place caches, when to heal you or expend smoke, mark targets, mark suggested routes, how much processing time she can devote to herself, to conversation.

Eventually doll her up to go on without you coming to realise the landscape can't support you. Can her. Moving, playing to survive. Teach her how to look after herself subtly so it doesn't affect her, build a male robot for her.

Face a lot of various opposition. Highlight physical limitations, need for food, sleep, water, temperature and how they are holding her back.

Ironic ending of her surviving and finding civilisation, blending in amongst other people.

Never change, schizanon

kinda felt like it wanted to be halo but epic fucked up the imitation and just made a shitty game

Unreal 2 suffered from a complex syndrome incorporating Halo weapons and Gears characters.

Which was heartbreaking, given the first game was the Crysis of its time, and leaving the ship for the first time was an experience.

well slow as fuck

Yes, of course. It was called UT3.

Texture filtering isn't boring.

I would like to know more of this stuff. But from what I read, I usually don't really get it.

Graphics programming is a large topic, I'd read about OpenGL and experiment with the bindings in your favorite programming language.

If you want immediate visual feedback, check out one of those GLSL testbenches like www.shadertoy.com
Since the modern graphics pipeline is based on shaders, if you have a grasp on those it becomes easier to fill in the blanks.

The "each chapter is a different planet" was pretty cool but truth to be told I can't blame anyone for not remembering anything since overarching plot was so incredibly bad.

all i recall is that mildly humorous SomethingAwful 'review' on it a decade ago

I will look into it. Thanks!

I liked it, probably because I was never a fan of Unreal. Quake is way better. So I have no problems with it being very different.

I had alot of fun with it not the greatest game but it was enjoyable.

It was pretty decent but not at all as good as the first game. There were very varied levels and enemies, it was fun interacting with the crew of the ship and so on but the gameplay and atmosphere were both very different and not as good as in the first.

RIP qt crew and no enough lewds

i remember it being pretty cool but the ending was a bit 'well now what'

like that girl hates the nig on your team because he spaced a load of her soldier friends and then panicked and let more people die by not fixing his shit right? and you had this blobby blue guy who was your pilot

Despite your broken English and nonsensical sentence structure, you actually suggested a really cool idea for a game. I would play that.

One of the most mediocre and forgettable games that I've played.

The move speed is so fucking slow. You literally have to spam dodge to move about as fast as what the walk speed should be.

It's impossible to find a difficulty setting between 'sitting duck' and 'walking tank'

And believe me, those names are applicable to the movement speed aswell.

Mediocre and forgettable. Inferior to the first game in every conceivable fashion, and surprise surprise it was developed by a different team.

holy shit this is amazing, it really reminds me of "a boy and his dog" and "cherry 2000" and a little bit of fallout

It's an uninspired singleplayer FPS with horrible voiceacting and embarrasing dialogue. It was primarily meant to showcase UE2's graphics engine and was a good looking game back in the day but hasn't got much to show for it these days. Play Unreal Gold instead.

A remember some huge power armor suits (that you couldn't operate) and black hole guns

Unreal 2 eXpanded MultiPlayer was pretty good. It's dead. What a shame.