He's still using Windows on his computer to play games

Why the FUCK haven't you installed GNU/Linux yet, Holla Forums?

60% of the games on Steam now have GNU ports already.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/373720/
yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon
blog.coresecurity.com/2016/06/28/ms16-039-windows-10-64-bits-integer-overflow-exploitation-by-using-gdi-objects/
appdb.winehq.org/
itpro.co.uk/desktop-software/21919/windows-81-vs-windows-7-which-is-best-for-you
voidlinux.eu
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55873925/comfy guide for linux virgins and tech casuals draft.html
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55873925/master.sh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah but then there's that other 40%. I mean if they can work that part out I'd probably swap.

pc has no games and there's even less games on linux. and the performance is worse too. I'll stick to consoles for the majority of my playing, and play the few PC games that actually interest me on windows, because they are only on windows.

Because I'd rather play all the games instead of just 60% like a dumb faggot.

Also, dual booting is a thing

If Software As Service is such an issue, why do millions around the globe still use it

If the games you play are already ported, then that's a non-issue.

Blatant fucking lie.

Dual booting is for faggots that end up just staying on Windows anyways.

Because most people are uninformed of superior alternatives available.

lol

But no I'm sorry, I'll just stop having fun so I can play open source video games

The games I care about can't natively run on linux, so I don't care

Because I don't give a fuck about the ideals of FOSS. Nothing is truly free and the thought that technology will somehow achieve this is laughable.

I tried it once, was fed up with my micro$oft winblows crashing and getting corrupted despite system restarts and drive formatting. After I properly set up a linux system I made it one entire day before switching back.

Don't do in anons, linux is just like the ps4. it has no games

because there is no reason for me to switch to linux. I already have everything I want and all switching will do is make me have to get used to using another OS. it's such a minor topic when you actually research possible OS's and realize its 100% a matter of preference.

Linux has no games.

Linux is not suited for playing games, like at all.
It has strenghts of course, but playing vidya is NOT one of them.

Just a friendly reminder that Ryzom now has a Steam 'port' (and yes, it's obviously cross-compatible with other versions) available since last month.
store.steampowered.com/app/373720/

I just finished playing a few hours of it today, I'll definitely need more time tomorrow in order to understand it.

Still a shame about Planeshift jumping to a locked-down UE4 fork

i usually use my gnu/linux pc to play retro pc games, because wine has more support then micro$haft would ever put into compatibility with old games and software.

translation i'm to much of a lazy faggot to switch operating systems.

good digits though

no one checked these quads

or maybe sextuple.

linux gaming is a meme

they are shitty ports and they get the patches and updates last

I think there is nothing wrong with closed source software and the desire to be paid for your work creating it. Copyright laws have become ridiculous but lifetime rights for private creators which do not pass down to heirs and non extendable limited time corporate copyrights are reasonable and fair. Without the principle behind FOSS to motivate me, I see no reason to use a new OS when the one I have works better for vidya and just as well for work.

Because unlike you, I actually have an IT degree and I know GNU+Linux is white hot sewage.

because I don't want to spend 8 hours crawling through forums populated by autistic neckbeards that try to make me switch distro, every one of them with 3 million upvotes, just to get a game to run properly.

Because I'm not a fucking loser who thinks that anyone gives a shit about my fucking operating system. I don't go around smugly going "Hey, I still use Windows" or "Wow, I use Linux, you wanna talk about that and maybe work that into sex?"

NO ONE CARES, and for all your haughty tauty bullshit about how you can "customize your Linux" and "know what's going on with your computer" what does it amount to? Do you really think that people want to know about the fact that you jerk off to dudes dressed up like girls? Linux, the choice for homosexuals in the closet. OS X the choice for homosexuals out of the closet. Windows the choice for people who just want a computer that works and does what they want, without having to compromise and try and figure out a solution to all of their gaming problems.

Virtual machine this dick, shut the fuck up about god damn Linux. You post Richard Stallman like he's someone to look up to, when he's a patent monger just like the people he always shits on, extolling a cancerous licensing system that infects whatever you integrate GPL'd software with to become open source. Oh boy, can't wait to give out the code to everyone so that nothing is ever secure, and it all winds down to a game of who can shit on who the most to drive software sales instead of who has the best software. When everything is open source, it means no one has anything unique.

Linux is the great choice if you want a generic computer that can't actually do anything, and virtual machines are still dreck. Get a fucking life.

windows it just werks guiz

make me faggot.

implying you're safe with the government up you're ass.

go back to sucking Satya Nadella dick shill.

Faggot can't even link to the right post.

I'm not shilling anything, if you don't know what a word means, don't use it you fucking mongrel.

i'm not the one who went on autistic rant about operating systems you cum guzzling faggot, if you don't like the gnu/linux threads fucking hide them, but you probably won't get paid if you did that.

But I already use Linux. Kubuntu is a great distro for Winbabbies like me who don't speak 13 different programming languages. I also have a Winblows 7 partition for games I can't play on Linux.

wew

20 billion flies eat shit every day how can they all be wrong

I'm guessing this "degree" was from the University of Phoenix.

Another Linux thread proving that that its adherents do more damage to their own cause than Microsoft ever could just by being intolerable autistic faggots. Good luck getting the normalfags to have anything to do with you at this rate.

Kys.

LOL linux XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Nice one.

You probably think "Linux is immune to viruses, I'm so superior," but the truth is, no one cares about less than 1%, so no one cares enough about Linux to exploit its weaknesses.

>>>/reddit/

Because I don't give a fucking shit. Windows 7 does literally everything I want it to and I don't need the customization of Linux. More of the shit I use doesn't even run on Linux. There's zero reason for me to make a switch.

Now to be fair, I do understand using Linux over shit like W8 and 10.

saging for non vidya shit thread

There is that charm and charisma we have all come to expect.

Like them or not, you guys aren't getting anywhere without them. The corps will always win until you convert them and you never will at this rate.

Why are you lying? It's 25.2%.

I don't think it's even that high, I'd say it's closer to 12% at best. And most of those are indie games that everyone on Holla Forums hates anyway.

Dis.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7950. The old fglrx driver hasn't been updated in 7 months, and isn't compatible with the updated xserver. So in order to not have half my system held back from updates, I removed fglrx and apt auto-installed amdgpu as the alternative open-source driver. Now wine doesn't work for things that used to be fine, and the amdgpu-pro proprietary component that's supposed to work in tandem with amdgpu doesn't support early GCN cards yet.

If I were confident that the RX 480 would resolve this issue, I'd buy one and be done with it. But the last few years have educated me about relying on AMD's Linux driver support.

Anyway, that's why I'm mostly playing on my 3DS these days.

I'm sorry for your troubles, user.

implying i ever said that, people have been fucked in the as by corporations like micro$haft for so long that they convinced themselves that they like it .

normalfags ruin everything they touch, i rather linux die then to let those fags, destroy everything it stood for.

Pick one

No one who is serious about computers will ever go all in on Linux, you know why? The business model doesn't work, and the operating system doesn't allow for proprietary software to protect itself because it's specifically designed to prevent it. And that's why 99% of all businesses in the world do not make software for Linux.

SteamOS pretends to be the magic bullet, but in all matter of fact, Valve can't promise anyone who deploys on Linux that Linux users won't crack their games and redistribute them. Which is why no one ever packed and sold games for Linux on store shelves, and why it is now that Linux still can't get adoption from an industry with so many alternatives to DirectX.

But hey, keep spouting off about how "we're so uninformed and ignorant," while proving your ignorance and acting smug about it. That'll surely get more Linux users.

and thats the point, we use linux so no one can do shady things with that software, and games that goes open-sauce always have longer and better community just look at doom, just because some corporate faggot wants to monitor everything your computer does is a stupid reason not to support linux.

just because gabe the kike wants to sneak his retarded drm into linux doesn't mean everyone who uses linux support his cause.

i guess opengl doesn't exist.

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon

Is that so?

This too technically.

Ryan Gordon ported a lot of games to Linux officially, including UT2004 and Descent 2.

Where's my reliable hardware passthrough, Richard?

I remember seeing CS boxes with Linus on them at ebgames, too. Now they don't even sell Windows games!

There's been no push for Linux anywhere really, it's always been a hobbyists/coders platform.

Most businesses use Windows, or if its important like a bank then a Windows frontend on a UNIX backend.

Pretentious hipsters with their "indie" businesses use Apple products.

People have stopped selling boxed games for PC in genera, now that the internet is much more accessible.

gys

This. Only use Linux only as a development platform or if you are a hobbyist.

Why aren't you guys playing games on a Mac?

1% of Steam games already almost sort of work on Mac already.

not him but
same thing with passthrough, you still use Windows.

Just think of all those old mac games that are impossible to play because PowerPC is no longer a thing.

That's only 23% user

Perhaps interesting to note that if Linux ever grew bigger than they are and became the market leader, they'd turn just like Microsoft and go after every hard earned penny you have. Because that's how business works.

Still if you want to feel special because you are using the niche, go right ahead. But i'll keep using an OS that lets me play the games I want.

Well I had Xubuntu installed by the piece of shit developed a random file-corruption/file-locking issue until it finally managed to fuck up a system file and I get a kernel panic on boot now. Thinking of trying a new distribution after this now but not sure what to go with. Been leaning towards Debian/Devuan or an Arch derivative.

Also DRM cancer like Steam is the last thing GNU needs.

Are you talking about Canonical? 'cause I can't think of any other Linux figure that would only be in it for the money. Pretty much all of the kernel hackers/contributors are either doing it because they want to or because they're already being paid by their employer.

60% of worth playing games

It's quite hilarious that WINE plays so many 16-bit Windows games effortlessly while you're up shit creek on 64-bit Windows.

yeah but its 4645 more games than the PS4.

I'll most likely get rid of my Windows partition permanently once I finally get the hardware to do PCI passthrough. Until then, Winblows sadly runs a lot of my games better due to the fact that my old GPU has non-existent Linux drivers and the open source drivers are just trash.

Meh. I find it more powerful for everything but gaming, and I still game on it. Dualbooting to windows for some games is fine, too.

Nice sperg rant, though.

Another thread proving that you fall for the bait, everytime. The people who actually give a shit about linux talk about open source games and troubleshooting WINE, sharing ricing tips. Been e few threads in the last few months. But of course nobody can grind their superior windows ego on them so they lose most of the faggots like you see in this thread, including you.

I mean, seriously now… MAME runs games 4x as fast on Windows XP for me, and many basic games I run 100% speed effortless I can't even get 70% on GNU/Linux MAME. What the fuck.

because i play the other 40%

because "WINE'' is fucking shit and i hate it.

Please enlighten me as to how you reckon they could even do that given that it's free and open source, and built on those very principles?

Even if some distro were to go full Jewish, you can always just pick a different one. It's not hard. Not so easy with Windows, since it's all Microsoft.

You know why these threads pop up here and not on halfchan?

Because whoever makes them knows that people on 8ch Holla Forums:

-Are mostly on PC

-Don't play video games

So it's the perfect breeding ground to try to find converts.
Not judging one way or the other, just something to think about, this is the type of reputation this place has.

go back there and stay there

Shitposting faggotry aside. I mainly use my PC for browsing, reading, watching anime, hoarding images, and Vidya. So I was thinking of getting Windows 7 ultimate or 8.1 and use Mint on the side for my brand new PC I just built. I even plan on ricing my PC in the future. Question is, what exactly would be some good recommendations for someone new to Mint? I understand what I want from Windows, but not Linux when it comes to the things I do on my PC.

Also most of my gaming is done through emulation which works better with Windows.

More like if he wanted a good thread then he would make an opening post coming off as a elitist faggot. It was asking for controversy instead of people's honest opinions.

Oh please. These are the only sort of threads Holla Forums ever responds to. Once the OP goes past 3 sentences, people lose interest.

That's bullshit, it's more like 20%, which means 80% of games on Steam do NOT run on Linux.

Stop spreading BS

You arent supposed to run proprietary software on GNU/Linux. Neither should you run DRM on it. GNU/Linux is the worst possible platform to play games on, outside maybe the R-Zone

Use win7 for your vidya needs. Linux can do everything else that you described. I personally don't recommend dual booting, having another OS on a separate physical drive or on another computer would be better in most cases.
Is there something particular you're after with ricing? I'm not a ricer and only care to know some few basics to say rice a linux based media rig for my folks who only cares about what the computah can do for them, they don't geek out on computahs, let alone gahnoo linux.
With that shit said, try /rice/, might be dead now though. Maybe Holla Forums general.

>>>Holla Forums

Mint is the Windows counterpart in Linux. What you need to understand is that most Linux distros are just presets and you can always plug and unplug what you want from any installation which is why /g/ says to install Gentoo on top of its tailored installation to hardware. You can always swap file managers and desktop environments and they will run natively rather than as an extra application on top of the existing FM or DE. I'd recommend using Mint for awhile until you grasp what's going for a bit then try tinkering with it. Personally I liked #! and Mint because they work alright out of the box. Judging from what you said you mainly use your computer for I'd recommend installing Open Box (Pic related is #!).

I guess what I'm getting at is that Linux is your Elder Scrolls of OS; You're going to have to tweak it via mods and so on to your needs and desires. I personally haven't used Linux in awhile simply because I got tired of some driver fucking off and having to dig through forums trying various "fixes" to get something functional. I think it's ALSA sound drivers you'll come to hate, I can't really remember at this time.

that is a part of what makes it more secure

rest of that post was just insane rambling

it does work
the license is supposed to do that, the software isn't designed to do that. you can still install proprietary software, irrelevant.
try researching that before you make such an uninformed statement. there is a large variety of software available for it, and some is not available for Windows. major corporations like Oracle and Microsoft have made software for it and have contributed to the kernel. there are companies that mostly make software for Linux like Red Hat and Canonical.
the same problem on any operating system. not even relevant.
its going to be a while before Vulkan is fully adopted, developing games takes a while and Vulkan is new.

Do you even understand what you are saying? The Linux kernel contains proprietary blobs, so of course you are supposed to run proprietary software under GNU/Linux. Perhaps the term you are looking for is GNU/Linux-libre, which most distros aren't anyway (only 6 by default and 3 where it is given as an option)?

This is what shitposters want you to believe to help turn Holla Forums into 4/v/. I made a JRPG Thread recently that lasted almost 2 weeks about 3 weeks ago. I've made few threads recently about games or certain topics that got a good discussion and nearly no shitposting. You just need to make something worth discussing without relying on reactionary bullshit, memes, template greentext, SJW nonsense, or any Holla Forums stuff. If it dies, so be it and try again another time. Time of day matters too. Early morning and after lunch are usually the best times.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

I prefer to use Windows mainly because with some work it's more secure than Linux, and as a Windows sysadmin by trade I have the knowledge required to make such a setup work. Most of the Microsoft data collection embedded in Windows 10 can be disabled through the management tools which leaves me with something as safe as Linux (if not safer, Secure Boot + BitLocker does a pretty good job at securing system boot) but with a bigger backlog and less compatibility issues.

The real shame is that Microsoft disables most of these tools in the personal editions of their OS. I understand that they don't want to deal with random script kiddies accidentally disabling their desktop manager, but there should be a way to reinstall those tools for power users.

I like video games too much to use Linux.

WINE is essentially a Windows emulator anyways, right? Why bother at that point when I can just use Windows and don't have to fiddle with fifty things.

Linux is

I always hated the name. Freetards are so bad at naming their software.

nsa gtfo reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's not a recursive acronym. It was in the very beginning, but now it's just "Wine" and it means wine.

With Windows and OSX the NSA makes an information request on a user.

With Linux they just tear off the paper door and walk right in.

It's okay Linux friend :^)

And Wine is not an emulator, it's a compatibility lawyer, like the one Windows copied now to be able to use Linux software in it.

Now their app name makes even less sense.

Windows means windows, I mean, when have you seen software names making sense and why should you care about that specific part?

Software naming has always been a mess. Between the weird acronyms and the random surnames pulled out of last century it's a minefield.

Just accept it

But Windows neither works, nor does what you want it to, though. We're just kinda stuck with it, because it's been the biggest OS for so long.

Honestly, Linux is far easier to set up than Windows if you choose a more newbie friendly distro. I've done fresh installs of both. Windows is a pain and requires driver hunting, troubleshooting, etc. Linux literally just werks. I installed it and that was that. Had everything I needed.

Only reason newbies are afraid of it is the command prompt which is honestly more practical when you know how to use it, and a general fear of new things. The latter being the biggest reason. If more people and companies used it, people would be far less intimidated by it. It's kind of self perpetuating.

"There are two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors."

Because Linux has no games, and I'm not gonna trade in my current operating system just so that I can feel like a hipster faggot.

I've worked in IT for years, most people don't know a god damn thing about what they're doing

Something like Ubuntu, sure, but not Linux in general.

The main parts of Linux are Linux (the kernel) and GNU.

GNU is run by a ridiculously idealistic non-profit foundation. They go through an insane amount of trouble to not betray their principles, and there's no sign that they'll ever stop doing that. They have made certain legal contracts for most of their existing projects that require them to stay open source (or free/libre software, technically) forever.

Linux isn't going to get corrupted either because of what drives it. It isn't philanthropy, it's technical motivations. Lots of huge companies contribute to Linux because they use it and want to improve it. They don't directly gain any money from it, they gain a better kernel. The only power they have over the project is the power to contribute useful code that will get accepted if it's good. They don't have any way or reason to monetize it.

When you install Linux you don't get it directly from the developers of the base parts of the operating system, you get it from "distributions". There are a lot of independent companies and organizations and projects that package all the parts that make up Linux into usable operating systems. It's possible for one of those distributions to go bad, but that won't make the other distributions go bad. One of the largest distributions, Debian, is, again, a non-profit, run democratically by volunteers. That won't go bad.

The defining aspect of Linux is not that it's open source (there are a lot of other operating systems that are), but that it's fragmented. Development happens in lots of separate projects that are gathered together by independent groups. There is no coherent overarching thing called "Linux". Every part has a replacement, even the parts that give it its name. As long as there are people with principles left (and there are a lot of those in the Linux world) they can create a good operating system that doesn't go after your money.

What's the effective difference?

I use Windows because I value my time more than my money. If I had all the time in the world (i.e. a NEET or not working in a supervisor role) I might install Linux.

Wine does not create an emulated OS, it uses actual Windows libraries and programs so as to run actual Windows programs inside Linux, not inside an emulated Windows. The same way Windows is doing now with Linux software.

First scroll bars that can be used to exploit the kernel. Then fonts that can be used to exploit the kernel, now GDI objects blog.coresecurity.com/2016/06/28/ms16-039-windows-10-64-bits-integer-overflow-exploitation-by-using-gdi-objects/

Such security
Such wow

Ah yeah I remember that. It was a good day for us LILO users.

An emulator emulates the whole machine, which means at least a CPU interpreter taking the guest machine code as input and translating it into host machine code.
A compatibility layer just translates an API call into another API call (like OpenFile in Win32 would be translated to open on nix)?

That was actually part of the bootloader. It let you bypass a password that was needed to boot the computer, it didn't let you log into the operating system itself.

tbh if a bug was discovered before 1995 it's probably gone now, since Microsoft does this thing of throwing away everything

Bullshit.

They don't, that's why they have so much backwards compatibility and decade old bugs, because they don't throw things away, but they also don't know, don't bother or simply can't fix them.

call me when is 99%, INCLUDED nip vidya

To a certain level they do, at least they did that with Vista and at the time fucked everyone. But it was for their own good.

Also even if they fix the bug it might be on one of the 15 different support branches and variations and most users won't get it. It's ridiculously complicated

But windows makes sense. It's their new OS after DOS and this time it uses Windows as the main GUI element. Perfectly sensible.

Wine doesn't make any sense.

I dual-boot Linux and Win7, and I almost never use the Win7 partition. I wouldn't even have that partition at all if it were up to me, but there are some Windows programs I need for my university that don't run on WINE.

No, I did not. I clearly said the bug was fixed, while Windows can't even fix decade old bugs. A really good part of Linux is it's incredibly easy finding bugs and fixing them (you know, open source), while in Windows, not only is it difficult, but 1) they won't get fixed if Microsoft isn't interested 2) you might suffer a law suit from them for hacking their OS, and then they'll proceed to ignore your bug report.

It's alright you like Windows, everybody can be stupid, but don't try to make others stupid. When the mere fact of using a scroll bar or a TTF isn't a direct threat to the kernel, you might have a chance in this argument, you don't as of now.

That shit can stay with winblows, at least it can be used to bait pedophiles.

You mean, the 60% that include all the indie garbage and walking simulators?

I wouldn't brag about that shit if I were you.

To a certain level, you said it. And most users get bugs and exploits, it's stupid easy breaking a Windows machine with even Microsoft Word.

Since the name started as WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator), it makes sense the stick to Wine.

Exactly, I said you think that's security, when it's not. While Linux is security, since it's fixed, while in Windows it's not. If you think fixing bugs is insecure, you don't know where your face is, honestly

quit falseflagging

Because Linux OS is fucked as long as they keep being autistic maximus about user experience.

It started as WINdows Emulator, but it stopped being an emulator.

It's possible to login on a Windows account without the password by running cmd on the login page ever since Windows 95. This is because when you are on the login page, you are technically already logged into an admin account called SYSTEM, so you have the ability to change the user account's password. Technically not before 1995, but it shows that Windows security is laughable and that Microsoft really doesn't care about bugs from over two decades ago, probably because they would have to rebuild how the login system that they have been using for 20 years works completely.

Or you know, you can use a distro backed by a company that focuses on user experience, one of those autists in the Linux world don't like.

It's always been a compatibility lawyer, but alright.

If you specify the part of that post that you are referring to, I might be able to know what you are referring to.

All of my software for work is primarily for Linux, so I'll probably have to switch at some point.
How much work is involved in setting up a dual-boot? Will I need to reinstall half my games to get them to run in Linux, or can I use the preexisting installs on the Windows drive/partition and run them through Wine or whatever?

I don't like japanese video "games" because they're poorly-developed trash and pedophile simulators. Do you want certain kind of people ruining Linux's image? Damn sure, I don't. So that trash can stay with winblows.

You said the word that. That's why I highlighted it. Lighten up user, I don't even use Windows.

Oh, I get it.
Fuck you :3

also I agree with your post

The number is actually closer to 25% according to a 1.2 second google search. Not that it makes much difference.

Installing GNU/Linux for vidya is like having a music player that only plays FLAC.

here is your (you)

You keep thinking because you tweaked your Windows a bit it's more secure, and you still ignore that the very GUI you use is a direct threat to your kernel.

Why can't Linuxfags just admit that their operating system isn't as great as they think it is?

GNU/Linux is pretty god-tier overall then, with the exception of not supporting the two other lossless codecs that I guess are worthwhile.

where the fuck did I Imply that? calm your autism, user.

You seriously think Windows is more secure than Linux because you kind of hardened it, while ignoring your GUI and fonts are a threat and you can't harden it. And that's the top of the iceberg.

Calm your retardation :^)

Windows 7 just plays more games easier. I don't use steam either so I couldn't give a fuck what percentage of those games work on Linux.

I get why people would use windows out of convenience but why would you actually shill for the cancer that's been plaguing us for multiple decades?
Can cognitive dissonance actually make you corporate whore?

These dubs are a fucking joke, here check mine.

stop pretending to be a retard

If it wasn't you, my sincere apologies.

If I have a Gigabyte motherboard can I just dualboot Linux/Win7? I'll use Linux to shitpost and Win7 for the vidya.

It's not really dependant on your motherboard except whether your bootloader is intended for BIOS or UEFI

I have a Gigabyte motherboard and I dual boot without issue.

Feels good man

also OP is still a retard for not posting actual ganoo+lunix vidya and shitting up his own thread instead

Most of these threads are made in the spirit of halfchan/g/ OS war shitposting. The people who really care are those who start the open source games threads.

i like video gamess

How do I pirate Linux games? I can barely find anything worthwhile on kickass

Who gives a fuck.

Apparently you, as you bumped this thread.

Linuxfag here, dualboot or use that Passthrough thing. Linux gaming is OK if you don't use PC as your primary gaming device, but if you're a mustard you should stick to Windows. And if you're off the deep end of PC elitism you probably suck enough corporate cock anyway
Only games I care about that I can't run are Space Engineers and EYE. I think there's a workaround for EYE but I haven't escaped my cycles of procrastination. I use Linux because I'm a lazy fuck who doesn't want to deal with hunting down download links and fighting my OS to stop it trying to kill itself. Also it's god tier for programming.
Stick to Windows 7, use that GWX panel thing to stop the Windows 10 update and enjoy your vidya. If you're interested in this Linux thing get Virtualbox A computer emulator, Ubuntu Sure there are other distros but stick with one first and try it out without the possibility of fucking up your system.

Our share threads have a lot of Linux stuff. Also if it's indieshit just pirate the Windows version and run it in Wine.

BCG's been getting tons of them uploaded in the last few months. Granted, most of them barely get any seeds in the double digits and they still have performance issues compared to the Windows versions, but they're still there.

GNUfags are like communists, and not just because of the MUH FREE SHIT mentality.

"I swear guys, the worker's revolution/year of the Linux Desktop will happen ANY DAY NOW!!!"

Dual-booting is actually pretty simple and painless, even moreso if you have a second HDD to install to. Partitioning your main drive is fine and low-risk, it just takes longer and makes the process a little more tedious. Most distros have install scripts that detect your existing Windows installation, and offer you some form of "side-by-side" (dual-boot) option. You can also set up your install partitions and mount points manually if you want. It's worth reading up on the process a little; the only thing I'll recommend is putting your /home directory in its own partition. That's where all your config files and user data go by default (analogous to c:\users\\ in Windows) and it makes it simpler to reinstall or distro-hop if it's segregated.

As for running games, it depends on the game. If it's self-contained and has saves and configs in its install directory, you can just run it by doing wine /path/to/game.exe. If it reads configs and/or saves from the registry, you might need to export those keys and import them into WINE's regedit if you don't want to reconfigure or start over. Similarly, if it saves to AppData\Local or somesuch in Windows you may need to copy those over or use a symlink pointing to the Windows files. WINE's default directory is /home//.wine, and below that is a drive_c folder which contains a familiar Windows file structure.

Most games will need some Windows component overrides to work. A script called winetricks is used for this. It automagically downloads and sets up the specified components. d3dx9 is the most common one, but different games need different things. Use appdb.winehq.org/ to see how compatible the game is reported to be by other users and what workarounds may be needed.

It's a weird transition from Windows to Linux, especially jumping headfirst into WINE, but after a week or two of Googling how to do basic things you'll find yourself getting comfortable with it.

That was not a Linux thing faggot, learn your facts, Linux is not tied to GRUB2 and GRUB2 can load up any OS using the multiboot specification, including Windows.
GRUB2 is a mess like all GNU software and should be exterminated from the face of earth.

Open source is the best way forward for ensuring games are fixable by anyone when they break, can be improved and modded in ways the devs will not and for ease of preservation.

this

OpenXcom, OpenMW, and GemRB are all rock-solid proof of this idea

because communists would be completely fine with distributing commercial binaries to monetary profit amirite

Locked to DRM =/= GNU port

I don't get this meme. Does it mean linux is an illusion made up by the jews?

The HURD kernel still isn't ready for primetime though it's actually getting worked on again, and crap like systemd is becoming monolithic.

Are those the games targeted towards the 60% of all gamers that are girls?

I've already seen 2 windows 8 machines self destruct due to checkdisk going full retard and destroying the entire MBR or file structure.

what were you checking it with, a lathe?

That's a case of PEBKAK if I've ever seen one.

Told a Linuxfag to beat a game with certain conditions and I'll install Linux. Not going to install until he does.

Not mine, I was tasked to recover data from them.

Even as pebkac, windows destroying itself more effectively than any sort of of malware is hilariously awful.

Anyone else using Trisquel? What the fuck is this? Transparency used to show what was behind the terminal, not the fucking destkop.

Thanks, cracks.

Dear wincucks: your OS comes with giant ads and sends all your info straight to the NSA. You don't own your software, you lease it and they can do whatever they want with it and you can't do shit, including data mining and removing programs and files they don't like. You are literally part of a botnet, your bandwidth is used to push Microsoft® windows© 10® updates to other computers. Stay cucked.

It's probably just that you have compositing turned off, the Xfce terminal program does the same fake transparency thing without compositing. I don't recommend enabling it just for fancy eye-candy though it's detrimental overall.

Anything past 7 is asking for the NSA BBC with no lube.

Even after stripping the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" garbage from 7 I still feel like theres shit lurking

reliability > "free" software

back to >>Holla Forums

Debian and Gentoo can use FreeBSD's kernel.

But alternatives will always be available. There are projects to modularize it and operating systems that are fairly compatible with Linux but don't have the features necessary to support systemd.

I have an i5-6600K, so I'm already botnet. If I switched back to Linux, I'd probably use proprietary video drivers too. For vidya, the botnet cannot be escaped.

I'm curious on why you guys choose Windows 7 over 8.1 besides the whole metro UI. According to this link, Windows 8.1 is almost all around better than 7.

itpro.co.uk/desktop-software/21919/windows-81-vs-windows-7-which-is-best-for-you

I'm no Holla Forums user but I always see people prefer 7 over 8.1. Maybe you guys know something I don't?

Clunky and slow interface, CEIP/NSA spyware built right into the fucking OS, and general bullshit that makes no sense for a desktop OS.

You gain a handful of FPS at the expense of a usable desktop environment. Not worth it in the slightest.

Fucking kill yourself

The NSA/M$ love affair goes farther back than win xp

Please stop doing this shit, Buzzy. Nobody cares about your stupid fucking circlejerk of an OS.

I want to use GNU+ but I don't have the patience to deal with constant fuckery, when someone makes a user friendly distro I'll re-install it.
Ubuntu is a pile of shit, if you actually think it's user friendly you need to re-install it yourself

Typical freetard spouting shit because of his lack of reading comprehension.

Also there is no difference between open and proprietary software to an end user. Until every man woman and child learns how to read source its pointless to push Open Source software

NSA_key was discovered in XP, with contracts I believe as far back as 95 era.

Mint is pretty neat, mimic's window's user friendliness pretty well.

and before you say ">proprietary software" I'm talking about things like sony vegas or gamemaker or flash or fruity loops, stuff like that. all of it's easy to pirate on windows but some of those products don't have linux ports. If they do, you have to jump through hoops to get it to work on your specific distro even if you buy it legit.

Seconding this. I use Mint on a laptop for doing stuff while traveling, and it's very user-friendly as far as Linux goes.

If you want something a bit more powerful, then try Fedora Core. I used it for a few years in college and it held up very well.

Windows 7 is fine, but I wont switch to 10, I'll probably be forced to use Linux some day.

This is not true. Because open source is almost equivalent to free software, I'll walk through the requirements for free software.

This is relevant for all end users.

This means that malicious features can be discovered (which affects all users, not just the discoverer).

This is also obviously relevant for all end users. You can typically get the software easily and legally, you can give it away, and you don't have to deal with DRM and license keys and trials and all that crap.

This means that malicious features can be stripped out to create a better version, which is good for end users and often means that the malicious features won't be included in the first place. It also means that if the developers stop developing the software or take it in a bad direction the software can still be continued. It takes technical people for that to happen, but it benefits end users.

And all of those which require an understanding of the system in question. Unlike you and I people don't care, no have the mental capacity to experience these freedoms.

We are talking the average joe here, none of which are going to do any of this.

wasn't there a point a year or so ago where they were just selling boxes with a steam installer inside and nothing else?

Pretty much, MGSV was just a key and a steam installer.

Because of the other 40%. And because Windows 7 are not forbidden to have yet.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose. Microsoft's monopoly is about to finally come to an end.

Antergos is nice and easy to setup. (Basically Arch).
Fedora is … okay. You have to enable a certain repo for proprietary stuff.
Linux Mint was alright, but I ran into a couple issues with ubuntu-based distros and gaming that I haven't run into with others. Gaben only knows why companies choose Ubuntu to base off of for gaming. (Not that it actually matters)

Hopefully.

This is what happens when you stack a US corporation with curry niggers.

Because Linux users are hipsters and/or elitist faggots. I've seen on this very board Linuxfags getting uppity and going on autistic rants because someone dared to install Steam.

I haven't used Windows in almost three years.

Okay Pajeet.

They are basically free windows marketers at this point. They do more damage to their own image than they do trying to out M$ as the scum bags they are.

So they don't deserve them? They have the mental capacity, they just aren't given the chance to develop it because they're treated like livestock by software manufacturers.

This. There are so many old games that would benefit from having their source code opened.

They deserve them, and until you and I figure out a way to get them to acknowledge them there is literally no difference in software to them.

You need to fight for the user, not your own views.

Because there are more games than just the ones on steam.
I play on my pirated windows 7 because I want to play videogames, not jerk off about with linux,
Tried that shit on my laptop a few years back, ended up playing no games but Age of Empires.
Also my 500gb visual novel folder just wouldn't have worked at all.

Good work. Why would I like to share an OS with retards like you?

Drivers, or rather lack of.
Wine still needs lots of work.

Xfce is the best DE

(checked)
quit your WINE-ing

I use several different platforms, be it on actual hardware or in VMs and I must say, that despite all of the massive faults and issues that come with it, that gamer or not, Windows is superior for the majority of people and it pains me to say that because I prefer Linux and OS X way more than Windows.

And while a lot of Stallman followers might just chalk it up to people being stupid or blaming Apple and MS for being businesses, the fact is that Linux is great for servers due to it's stability, great for HTPCs due to software like Kodi, and great for casual, non professional use cases like importing pics from an phone or browsing the internet, etc.

But due to a lack of decent software, for a lot of people, I cannot within good reason recommend Linux for a large part of the population.

One example is the fact that a lot of people own iOS devices. I know most of you hate Apple and shit but the fact is, the software that claims to work with iDevices are trash. I own some iDevices and I know this from experience. In one case, it seems like Linux caused an iPhone to not be readable by iTunes on a Windows machine, forcing me to factory reset the thing.

In this case, how can I really suggest a person who has this issue to go to Linux? Sure, I can tell them to sell their Apple devices and get Android stuff, then install Linux but this is not realistic when even telling some people they are better off replacing their 15+ year old computer with something more modern is often met with, "but I can't afford that or I don't want to do that".

On top of this, the Linux crowd doesn't help things either. I'm not a sensitive person at all, so I can deal with this shit but seeing how fucking hostile some of you Linux fans get over people asking questions or pointing out that maybe Apple or MS might be a better option is fucking stupid and it prevents someone who wants to use Linux from actually learning how to solve issues.

Really, this "GNU plus Linux" meme needs to die, like the rest of this goddamn shitty computer industry. When fucking Linux and it's bullshit are the only real computer options that aren't Apple or MS it's a sign that computers are all just fucking shit. You just deal with the least shitty garbage.

FUCK

GNU has drivers available for virtually everything, though.

Good luck getting an obscure old printer to run on Windows.

Wine just werks for a bunch of games, unless you're a cuck for DX12.

you're fucking retarted

I'll give it until Vulcan gets fully adopted.

Despite some of my rantings about Linux, have you tried Skullgirls? That plays very well in Linux.

Well it's a 2D fighter, I should fucking well hope it runs well in Linux. Then again I've got mint on my cheapy laptop and that can barely run Lisa The Painful RPG

I would have tried other games, but for some reason I didn't have TF2 anymore and I thought that was a Linux game as well and of course Fable isn't on Linux so it was the only game I had.

Opinion discarded.

Like I care, aspie. Not like your opinions are any better.

Linux still doesn't fucking have clicklock.

Dual-boot for DirectX games and set a VM or use Wine for anything else.

If you only use your computer ONLY for Internet browsing and Games, stay with windows, or Get a Mac and Get bullied.

Anyone played the best Linux exclusive yet ?

Isn't supertuxkart available for windows too?

>wanting operative system exclusivity

Exclusivity will be the only way to get these dumbass Windows cucks to convert.

Official GNU package coming through.

YOUUUU'LL BEEEE FREEEEEEEEEEE

nothing has any games nowadays, only justifiable purchases are for nintendo's first party (in which case the games should be pirated because fucking classic games still cost like 20, maybe 40 dollars) and maybe a vita (pretty sure that's never getting modded, though) or PSP if you wank to nips and their VNs

Because I have no necessity to make myself feel like a 1337 h4x0rz by having to type on a code to open Palemoon.

no games
(i wanna play battlefront 2 'n shit)
that is literally the only reason why I don't switch.
sage not vidya.

For the same reason I don't like Dark Souls. It has a bunch of retards constantly shilling it as if it was the second comming of Jesus.

Besides, I don't believe in public property; when a produce is free it means you're the produce

I like the emptiness of arch linux. How quickly it boots up into nothing. It is the OS of my personality.

That's because linux is shit for desktop use, it's better off as server or phone OS

me too. fingers crossed for Vulkan API though; at worst games will be easier to WineHQ hopefully

GIT GUD

I got gud and it sucked ass

The bullshit store thing is so limited it's not even funny

I have to scour through 10 (I exaggerated of but it's so I get my point across) google pages before finding what I want

Try Fedora. It's actually just werks, compared to Ubuntu.

I use a stripped down build of Windows 7 exclusively for my gaming PC, and only for the program compatibility. As much as I like Linux, I can't play a lot of my favorite games, and the programs I use to make music aren't on linux. Every other machine I own is running Mint, and I think it's the best OS you could have for a laptop.

That being said, some of you people here are faggots. How could you be such a stupid motherfucker that linux is too hard to understand?

Literally wat.

All you need is located in manpages.

different = hard to understand

NO

Redhat is the cancer killing the GNU ecosystem.

WINDOWS 8.1 MASTER RACE

>>>Holla Forums

I thought we called it the double triple

dumb question, is there anything similar to rainmeter on linux?

Conky

If you're looking for something that shows information and don't need it to look as fancy as that, try conky. There's probably other software with a goal more similar to rainmeter, but conky is the most popular Linux software in the same general area.

But the distro itself is good, especially if need something that just works.
They're better than Canonical and Ubuntu anyway.

*if you need

Steam is fucking botnet. DRM distilled to its essence.

You have desktop compositing off.

No because for a double triple it would need to be XXXYYY, that's two triples. A triple double is three doubles, which is XXYYZZ, which is what he got. Just cause some wrestler yells "double triple" doesn't mean you should try and shoehorn it into relevancy.

Delete your OS, you're supporting proprietary software.
You're defeating your own cause.

What the fuck are you even talking about? I mean, I don't particularly like steam either, but that's no reason to start spouting retarded shit like that.

Literally no one in this thread knows what dualbooting is.

Fuck that, I don't trust Windows running on the same system. One laptop for pure Debian waifu and one for dirty Windows slut.

You are literally stupid.

I never saw the point of those things. Seriously, who needs this sort of information in yo face at all times?

I don't play any new games so OSX works for me with boxer for dos games and openemu.

gentoo is so fucking good

I had this same issue when I bought supreme commander years ago.
Got it at a physical retailer, and it wouldn't fucking install without steam.

no Direct X 11 support

Why should I switch from Windows unless Microsoft literally makes it impossible to do anything on any of their OSes except Windows 10?

I take it you think DX is the only graphics api around?

Jewggle OpenGL and Vulkan.

That is by far the worst abomination of a desktop I have ever seen.

I seriously hope you don't follow this desktop as an example user. Even if the computer had sufficient ram I still wouldn't touch this thing with a 10-foot pole. Not only is it redundant as hell it's a resource hog.

There is no point. Rain meter is for fags, at least conky let's you tweak the DE.

Despite the meme gentoo is pretty damn nice. Although some packages can take a long ass time to build from source I've found that USE flags are pretty much the best thing ever. The only time I've had trouble with gentoo was upgrading perl, but that was mainly just perlcleaner fucking with emerge.

What the fuck is that window? Is that how you have to play games on a mac? Why would you ever buy one of apple's overpriced pieces of shit?

You can also use the -bin packages for those that take too long to install. Since 99.99% of your system is still brought up from source, you don't actually lose anything usually.

Main problem with gentoo is that after a long time of using it, it magically stops working (i.e. you can't install anything or remove anything without breaking the system due to very complex USE and version dependency chains). You could probably save the system by resetting ALL your use flags and recompiling everything, but that's still very lame.
Second problem is that many packages are not very well-maintained, for example, none of the packages in the science overlay are compatible even with each other, and most don't even compile - there is no other source for them though.

Still, it performs significantly better than any other distro in terms of usability.

Hmm, I haven't had any problems like that with my install so far., and I have about 1k packages installed. I can see how removing some packages would be hell though. For example, I bet if I tried to unmerge libreoffice or any pyton libraries I'd have a very bad time.

That's an emulator frontend.

That's your average linuxfag for you.

Gentoo has been deprecated by Funtoo.

This is a common misconception. Steamworks is the DRM (which not every game on Steam relies on), while Steam is just closed-source software. Although it would be better if Steam let you download their games from a website with 100% FLOSS javascript rather than be forced to use Steam.

a huge majority of the library does however.

Steam is also an offshoot of their DRM software that evolved into the monster we know today, which is why they share a name. Steam was created as a noninvasive DRM platform that would not totally fuck over customers to a noticeable degree as well as offer enough DRM to make publishers feel "comfortable" releasing games on it.

Steam was literally created to be a DRM platform.By installing steam you are also installing steamworks regardless of if you bought a game that uses it or not.

Why? If its for freedom steam monitors your computer as well so I doubt it'll be beneficial to you, Also dual booting ruins the point of using linux

Not really. Boot into Windows for gaymen, stay on GNU for everything else, like shitposting on *chans.

Is OpenSUSE good?

I looked into Funtoo once or twice, and I'm still not sure if there really is an advantage to switching. I've heard that the portage tree in Funtoo is managed by Git, but other than that I don't know much about it.

As long as you avoid Canonical and Redhat like the plague, you're good.

I would recommend Void:
voidlinux.eu

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Don't ask me, ask valve.

The best I can assume is thatthey wants a DRM that is below the "this would piss off the customer" line and have it comfortably in the "This is annoying but tolerable" area that most normalfags are fine with.

All DRM is invasive by definition. That's impossible.

Invasive DRM is DRM which intrudes upon you, rootkits, CD-key activations, securom.

Steam is passive DRM, while it does do a check to see if you own the game, it's a one-step-check and requires absolutely no effort to fool, this is by design. And while there are ways to make Steam DRM "uncrackable," no one bothers to go to that length to implement it in the ways that it would be because it's a pain in the ass and no one wants that.

Software as a service is a working business model, evident by the fact that Valve is a multi-billion dollar corporation. They don't stop their customers (either on the distribution or consumer end) from making any changes or modifications to the products they make, so you can put DRM in your game on Steam or you can crack the DRM in your game on Steam to run without it.

Steam doesn't validate the binaries unless you do a manual integrity check, and Steam doesn't stop its publishers from putting lame duck DRM into their games. But Steam itself is passive DRM.

It's really a long-term issue, not a package-count issue per se. The longer you try to maintain the system, the more likely it is that the next version of package X requires an older version of package Y despite the next version of package Z requiring the new version of package Y. Whatever resolution you choose, you have to put a directive in your files and that shit piles up until the system becomes unmaintainable.

There is no single point of using Linux. I know a lot of people who run it for software compatibility reasons. They study computer science and every course is designed for Unix-likes.

If you think there's only one reason to run Linux you must think it's a pretty shitty operating system.

Most of those run on WINE. Most DX11 games still have issues though. Go check the state of support:

appdb.winehq.org/

Check again mate. There has been a large influx of games in last few months uploaded by verified uploader. Remember to seed.

I've had Mint installed for about a year and I get about 2500 lines of packages with command "dpkg -l". I have games, wine, libreoffice etc. What distro do you use? Did we use same or similar command?

user are you still around?

I have linux mint tips for you

fuckit

here are some things to help you get started

this is a shitty guide I wrote and pretty much don't update any more but maybe will one day, if you like it save it because dropbox will change the link if I edit it
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55873925/comfy guide for linux virgins and tech casuals draft.html

This is a script I use every time I do a fresh install of linux mint, it speeds of the process of gettting shit I want installed and even installs add-ons for firefox
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55873925/master.sh

half done instructions for running a script are in the guide

hehe

Why don't you read a post before responding? You sound like a sperg.