Getting rid of WASD

So I've been thinking about analog and digital input on PC, and was wondering what the best method was to combine the camera movement of a mouse with the tactility of a joystick. At first I figured the Steam controller would be a middle ground, but then after about a year with it, I found out that it's nowhere as accurate as a mouse, not is it as comfy as a gamepad. So now I'm looking into something I never expected to look into, which is the PlayStation Move Navigational Controller. Now I was wondering if Holla Forums had any experience with hooking up a move controller to a PC in combination with a mouse. Reason being that I was wondering if there was a similar alternative that's around 40 dollars, but works natively with Windows and has more inputs then the move controller.

Sounds dumb as shit

Analog keyboard

Theoretically, a control scheme that offers immediate 1:1 aiming is possible with the typical Dualshock/Xbox controller. It wouldn't even require using any motion controls.

Practically, it's never going to happen because everyone is too wedded to using the inherently inaccurate "left stick moves, right stick turns, triggers fire, face buttons act" scheme.

Joysticks are not fucking tactile.
When you have the mouse, which lets you adjust your rotation precisely how you want, as fast as you want. There is no point in having analog walking.
It's better to have the 8-way movement with mouse aim, otherwise it's just introducing another variable to fuck up in the moment.

So this is what half an A press is.
how's the support for this? I don't see how it would work.

Why do you say that?

It was funded on kikestarter

He doesn't even play games, that's why

Well regardless, I'm gonna get the controller now and let you all know how it works, since I liked driving in GTA while being able to shoot without issues.

The biggest question I can think of is why?

Really, for what purpose?

More control over the game.

Yeah, I've thought about this, too.
For first-person and third-person games, some combination of left thumbstick and mouse would be the best of both worlds. And there are a few companies that make controllers, but it's still pretty uncommon.

Should read "that make controllers like that."

Mouse and keyboard isn't comfy anymore, especially with these modern control schemes that are intended for a controller.

Depending on which type of game it will be negligible but you also lose out in a shitton of easy access buttons.

You could have a half-controller for your left hand. Four face buttons, thumbstick, two shoulder buttons, maybe a start and select button, too. Not really missing out on anything, assuming your mouse has a few buttons, too.

Too each their own but I strongly doubt that an analogue stick will give an advantage in anyway.

You wouldn't need modifier keys to run or walk slowly. You could move in directions outside the usual 8.

Most games have a sprint button.

As I said, each to their own.

That one's easy OP, here's what the 1337 ESPORTS of csgo do: Use both a controller AND a mouse wow majick

That's not what I'm talking about, though.

I tried to play Hotline Miami like this with Xbox 360 controller. It doesn't work because I couldn't turn off the controller detection for the game so keybinders like Joy2Key doesn't work.

Your basically combining a mouse with a single hand controller that is both held in separate hands, where the mouse functions as the camera directional analog stick and however buttons you slapped on to it. It's retarded for two simple reasons; your reaction speed will be fucked because your hands are now operating two separate devices this doesn't seem so bad but unless you keep all the buttons exclusively to one device your brain will be multitasking two separate functions, the second reason is your retarded in thinking the mouse operates the same as an analogue stick a mouse cannot match what an analog stick is designed for and the proof of this is that emulators played without a controller requires manually inputting a set sensitivity for the mouse for it to work at all.

Mice and keyboards are separate devices, you retard.

Give it a go and report back with results, it could actually work bretty good with practice.

I imagine you would just bind a shitload of analog inputs in the game, it wouldn't know you are pressing "W" but would see it as "analog input 23".

And the mouse only has a few buttons and is mostly used to look and use a cursor, while the keyboard has all the buttons.

Mouse and (analog)joystick was a common standard on PC. Until Microsoft/lazy devs killed it around 2006 (or so), because new directX versions only came with out-of-the-box support for Xbox360 controllers.

So? The mouse would be the same in this setup, only instead of a keyboard you'd be using some kind of custom controller.

Op I had the same Idea. But the Wii Mote thing would need some more buttons to equal a Keyboard. Maybe 4 to8 buttons on the handle you can hit with your 4 index fingers, and your thumb would rest on the Analog joystick which easy to hit the D-pad/Start/select. The Analog keyboard idea is cool too. However what if you then where to add a VR headset and a Blowjob machine and a feedbag?

Computer sees it as an xinput controller.

The keyboard sends analog signals just like a regular game pad does.

Well Shit, I just tested it. This already works with a Xbox controller and a mouse. Never thought to try it. Too bad most games don't allow you to rebind keys, but I guess if you rest the gamepad on a desk use your middle finger to move the Analog joystick and press the XYBA buttons with your thumb it would work. Or maybe you get a gaming mouse with extra buttons.

I meant rebind gamepad keys so you could make L2 and L1 Run and Jump and the D-pad swap weapons or the interact button (E).

The keyboard lays flat on the counter or table, but with this proposed controller you're now physically holding in your hand and this device uses an analog stick to function it doesn't seem so bad but sometimes you might catch yourself moving the controller instead of the analog stick on the controller. At the best of times this will be awkward.

Could just use a half keyboard. The Logitech G13 has a load of buttons to rebind, as well as an analog stick.

I have used a gamepad before, so I find this unlikely. I've only ever seen old people who aren't used to vidya do that.

I'm back, so for something like an FPS it works beautifully, however due to GTAV not having any rebinds for controllers, I was unable to drive with default settings.

Whenever I play Saints Row 2 I use the left half of a 360 controller for driving/movement (with LT as accelerate) and the mouse for shooting.

Would be completely intuitive imho. Seriously try just using the Right Analog of your xbox controller and your mouse at the same time in a FPS. It feels pretty comfy. The only problem is not having the Q,E,Z,X,C,V,F,G,R,T,Space,Tab,Shift,Alt,1,2,3,4,5 keys. I mean you can't jump or dash using the Xbox and Mouse because most games don't let you rebinding Gamepads but the Analog works with the mouse fine.

NPCS WILL LOOOOVE YOU

this is some genuinely autistic shit

With WASD, your left hand has many more buttons available.

Thanks for letting me know, I might fuck around with this myself.

yeah, it's only 10 dollars so I recommend it.

Stopped reading there.