ITT: Post games you keep playing despite hating every second of it

ITT: Post games you keep playing despite hating every second of it.
This bullshit gets worse every single run. I never should have downloaded it.
inb4 someone says "git gud" as if you can be good enough to circumvent the bullshit this game throws at you. "What's that? You died because the game put you up against a rebel ship with missiles, multilasers, three shield levels, a teleporter, and mantis crewmembers while you still have the starter weapons and unupgraded doors? You would've won if you just got gud." Fuck you and the horse you blew on the way in. Delete your life.

Other urls found in this thread:

dotabuff.com/heroes/winning?date=patch_6.88)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

git gud

Git gud

Git gud

122 hours and I haven't even gotten past the Orc Prides yet. Fuck this game. If only it didn't have such a variety of builds to try, I'd have been done with it long ago.

No. fuck you, leatherhead.

If you were at the stage of the game where you're coming up against enemies with three shield levels and you still hadn't upgraded from your starter weapons, then yes, you would've actually won if you had gotten gud by upgraded your weapon loadout sooner. Almost every ship in the game needs to buy new weapons or systems to deal with 2 layers of shields reliably, what you were doing going up against 3 layers of shield with default shields I don't know.

there is no getting good, just recognizing what you should do to minimize your chances of getting fucked over
no amount of skill is going to help you with this game, like any classic roguelike

I don't hate it, per se, but it is a very frustrating game.
Isaac rewards you a lot when you get good RNG and streamroll a run, it can get really fun if you have the right combination of effects, but it stomps you down if your run is shitty, and it feels like 70% of the time you get shitty or underpowered runs, so the fun factor doesn't balance out the frustration in the end.

All I want to do is play heroes I like and get good at them. Instead I am stomped over and over by Russian cunts and 12-year-old cawwadoody fanboys who instapick ridiculously overpowered heroes and shrug off enough damage to kill the ancient three times over while visiting apocalyptic levels of rape on everything within a fifty-mile radius.. Even when I give in and choose one of the ~6 pick-this-and-win heroes the win leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The game is absolutely broken at all tiers and Valve does nothing to address the criminal imbalance, preferring to shit out new item sets for heroes that already have 8+ (Pudge, Riki, Luna) while ignoring those that STILL don't have even a single item(Troll Warlord, Viper, Wisp, Phoenix).
Every match leaves me less than I was before.

id hold that against them but its dota, it was never balanced and it still caught on despite dozens of better iterations of that genre, should they alienate the old fans?
is valve even in charge of dota balance?

It was the only one that even tried to be balanced at all.
The balance system is weird since it looks for asynchronism but that's what makes it unique

shit game design tbh fam

Why would you do that? I mean I get wanting to pull through more frustrating parts in games that are really rewarding in a way, but if you just don't like it why play it at all?

nigger u w0t

git gud, the enemy ships can't even have level 3 shields until sector 5 assuming you're playing on babby mode, which you should be since you can't stop crying like a bitch

If you don't have any upgrades by sector 5 you're a fucking idiot

How about playing games you enjoy because they're supposed to be fun instead of being a whiny masochist.
It's been a while since I played so correct me if I'm wrong but aren't rebel ships human crew only?
claim competence

I always wonder if this whole 'FTL is unfair because it's too random!' is some kind of false flagging thing to get people supporting the game
Because it's undeniable that there is a lot you can do to be prepared and to make situational analyses about what action you take, and that the game is really not really bullshit at all. Yet FTL is still kind of a shitty game and I wouldn't be supporting it if it wasn't just to prove that OP is a fag

Pretty much any game with matchmaking instead of servers. Which is mostly all of them these days. Don't understand how you could get angry at a single-player game though.

It's shit design not because of the mechanic, but because the game really isn't built around it.

Roguelikes work well when you have a buffer of resources to manage and a depth of options and approaches to use that are more or less demanding on your pool and have a variable chance of success. You can bet on extremely unlikely things never happening in order to gain an edge on the likely, at the cost of being ill-prepared for the uncommon. On top of that, you'll end up with at least some combinations of supplies that will get you out of even the hairiest of situations, allowing for high risk, high reward plays before actually wagering ending the game, and pushing your luck further if you so choose.

If a Nethack run goes even modestly well, for example, you'll have something to unfuck even the most unlikely of misfortunes. Getting the worst possible luck for an stretch of time isn't likely to kill your run if you've had time to gather supplies and switch to conservative strategies the moment you recognize that things have gone sour. Unless you meet the GWTWOD the turn you go down the stairs or something.

When implemented poorly, you're too dependent on the luck itself, rather than your utilization of what the luck provides. The tighter the breadth of choices gets and the smaller your buffer becomes, the closer the game comes to resembling a coin-flipping game with a dominant strategy that is not dependent on the current status.
FTL didn't do a terrible job at it, but it's not great.

It's also almost trivial to play if you don't step into the roguelike mindset.

Sure, because FTL isn't a roguelike. It's also not a roguelite, and anybody who uses those terms to refer to FTL (or Necrodancer, or BoI, or any other "indie roguelike") is a hipster cunt who thinks he's tough shit because "only hardcore gamers like me play roguelikes".

FTL is incredibly simple once you realize what you can do to win. Do you get screwed over sometimes? Sure. But easily 90% or more of games are winnable by just sticking to a basic formula of knowing which upgrades to get, when to get them, and using the correct weapons. Then again, I bet people that cry about how hard it is are the people who think mind control is the best thing ever, teleporters are mandatory on their own ship, clone bays are a strict upgrade over medbays, and drones are overpowered.

Then they wonder why they can't beat a game as easy as FTL.

Git gud.

t. someone whose unlocked most things on hard

my favorite roguelike is spelunky

I couldn't get into the remake

It also added a bunch of things I don't know the details of

The wiki says that rebel ships are human exclusive crew, but rebel pirate ships can have random races. At least for vanilla FTL without mods.

to each his own. but holy fuck it is an excellent "couch" co-op game

Not much changed between the two versions, just minor things.

I wish they'd bring out a spleunky 2 or something, since i've played the coop to death.

There was a full alien spaceship level, plus some underworld shit with King Yama
And something about eggplants

The issue is that FTL gives the impression that it's supposed to be treated like a roguelite or whatever the current stupid term for implementing an ill-fitting randomness to games happens to be.

From the marketing to the game to the somewhat ignorant players themselves, there's a very palpable implication that it should be played as one might a roguelike, and that's unfortunate.

If nothing else, these elements suited Spelunky a lot better than FTL, but that's mostly down to the baseline of action-oriented gameplay.
Barring some very unlikely extremes, you can readily substitute skillful gameplay for resources, and that isn't taken away from you even when you have no items, no equipment and just one life. Your modest baseline is almost always enough, and you don't really consider giving up until you know you're stuck in a deep ditch or get murdered. The line between possible and impossible is very distinct, and you're never at the mercy of a statistical anomaly of 20 randomly generated misses in a row.

If you're going for the hidden goodies, then you'll probably want to be less wasteful with the resources you get, and it's possible to just not get everything you need, but you can always fall back to a regular playthrough if that happens.
Or just restart, because the game's short and you'll recognize when you've gotten irredeemable luck quite early on.

Came here to post this

I just learned to be a fucking beast with cm and babysit my core for 50 minutes, but I havent played for months. Maybe's for the best, until I find a good party to play with

You people will NOT grind mmr by playing supports until you get to 4k when carries aren't clueless.

Learn to play greedy off laner mid or carry and boost yourself.

(dotabuff.com/heroes/winning?date=patch_6.88) If you want to know how to play a hero pick one with a high win % and go to their top players and download their replays.

Pokemon.

In-game is OK for casual RPG fun- but to win online you need smogon mons.
Or make a "no fun" pure counter team.

Every Poke you like is either so over-powered you hate using it, or so under-powered you can't.

Not to mention they've just been getting fucking lazy of late. No Battle Frontier killed the best idea they had in years.

[your favorite video game]

In addition:
The autism looking for specific personalities for an extra 10% in a stat (which when it is a big stat, 10% makes a difference) getting good IVs-
Then getting one shotted by a Mega Kangaskhan some kid is using.

While not mandatory, using teleporters to board enemy ships yields the most scrap.

While there is a certain level of RNG, that doesn't change the fact that you do, in fact, need to git gud.

it's just I never learned to play anything but support / mid ganking heroes. I'll ahve to make an alt

You know you can avoid combat in this game right?

I always do best when I use teleporters and mind control.

Surely not Rick Dangerous?

I would love to get a double BJ

It amazes me how faggots who play FTL don't know how to Volley their shits. There's a fucking reason your weapons aren't set to autofire by default. Abuse and use the fuck out of the ability to pause the game at any time and to be able to time your shots and movements to deal maximum damage when their shields are down. You can even shoot down droids that circle their ship if you time it well enough. Which you can because you can literally pause the game to the exact moment where it would be appropriate to fire.

Surely not…
Rick is the king of dungeon explorers!

With most rockets or bombs autofire is better. Likewise with fast-firing ion guns. Only beam weapons really suck in autofire mode.

The only time you would be retarded to use it is playing with stealth field-equipped ship but not stealth weapons.

Yeah nah

If you like wasting your finite ammunition sure. You could get lucky I suppose and be gifted with salvaging a lot of missiles though. Best not to count on it however.

It depends on the strategy. I would argue autofire is never better considering you're blindly firing towards a ship. Though after their shields are down and you're trying to keep the pressure on (which is where Ion weapons shine) a certain function, autofire is certainly useful if you're juggling your focuses. Like if you start to board enemy ships or get in to drones.

Rockets and lasers go hand in hand. Especially if you take out a shield via missile and then use the momentary weakness to shoot a volley of lasers towards a crucial portion of the ship. A lot of people make the mistake of focusing on the shields and guns but you can never forget to play it smart and aim for the engines or cockpit. (Likely the engines as they're not being monitored usually) so their evade chance drops to nil if you take either out. Giving you 0% miss chance and full opportunity to bat the fuck out of them.

What I usually do with the Kestral is assume a strategy based on the ships shields and attack capabilities.

If it has high shields I nuke their shields first and then send some laser fire towards their engine. Then I continue to pelt their shields with my laser. More than likely a ship with good shields can't make up for it with weapons so I can usually let my shields hold out while I keep their shields down. And since half or more of the crew are focused on trying to repair the shield generators their engines take forever to be repaired. And if they ever do I just knock them out again with another missile (which is fully charged at this point) or just focus fire on it with my laser, by which point their usually nearly dead.

If they have high weapon power then you just knock the fuck out of their engine with a missile and then focus laser fire on their weapons so you can't miss. The starter laser for the Kestral is Tri-Burst to so you're always likely to get at least 2 shots on it since their shields usually aren't great as a result of having good weapons.

Basically enemies don't get both great shields and weapons until much later in to the game when you're actually given room to customize your ship to fill gaps in possible strategy.

Either way the strategy is extremely efficient as you often end up only having to fire 1 maybe 2 missiles per enemy and the wreckage usually has a few you can salvage. Not to mention that if you upgraded your engines and shield enough you're likely never to take damage within the first 4 or so sectors unless you get really unlucky. People seriously underestimate just how much power you have in this game.

Sorry for the long post. But I get people saying the game has faults in RNG to much. RNG has it's areas in the game. But by no means is it as big of a problem as people say it is.

i don't know how they keep making it worse
they fucked up items
they fucked up character reworks so much, that they completely rework them again (and even worse at that - see ryze and taric - the "shield of valoran" literally doesn't have a shield anymore)
they just HAD to make more servers, making que times longer, just for the sake of not having a BR or kebab in the game
i only play it at this point because i've got nothing else fun left. at least it's alright if i've got friends playing it

Just let it go user.

no
it used to be fun
at least i can't be banned anymore. i can yell about 9/11 and the jews all i want, reports don't do shit. downside is that certain words are still censored, such VILE!NO! profanity like "hitler"

I used to play this, then my interest in it waned.

Sounds like you're not looking hard enough to me. There is so much fun stuff to play, there is something for you, too.
Stop being lazy and apathetic.

you say that as if i instantly said "well, games are dead, back to mobas"

Old Karma, Mordekaiser, Vladimir will all be missed, replaced by shit

Singed and Jarvan all are shitty at the moment too because of the powercreep

Well, what did you try?

lots of stuff, but i tend to avoid 2d games from ages ago, i can't stomach the graphics

taric literally only works as a jungler for me right now
ryze is getting reworked yet again, even though he was perfectly fine after the first rework (even before it)
zilean rework was unnecessary but i can live with it, at least his Q stuns now
shen was also unnecessary. his passive is better but his Q sucks now, since it's not ranged
lee sin has literally been getting nerfed since his existance, not a single buff once
and i have no clue what else happened, but i'm sure i won't like it

You chose your own suffering, m8.

Shitty taste. I bet you liked the old trundle as well.

Man fuck you, that guy was my bread and butter as a solo top-laner. Same with Jarvan, but then they fucked with Trundles design and I didn't care for it one bit, and then they fucked up wriggles lantern so it was useless if you were top lane.

I never did care for how stale they were trying to make their meta, but that was years ago, I can only wonder how restrictive it is now

She was fun as fuck, powerful on top, weird and unique
Now she's a shitty generic ap support that nobody plays and beyond boring to play

You have shit taste

I also had friends rope me in during season 1/2, luckily I liked playing support because holy shit are people bad at that shit. The reworks are pretty much all fucked except for maybe sejuani but I loved old sejuani

yeah it is pretty tough sometimes but people are going to think i'm cooler for chastising you so get good

I have the same issue. I just play on easy and it helps mitigate the RNG with bonus scrap

man your so coo

How bad is that powercreep that motherfucking Singed can't fix it?