Controllers

Let's talk controllers.

Keyboards, mice and trackballs are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_music
doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_II_music
youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The only real, exclusive use for controllers are 3d platformers. Even as a kid I found them awkward on other games

Xbox 360 has the best layout. Ps2 is my overall favorite. M&K are still king. Gamecube controller needed an extra z button and a bigger cstick and dpad. And i still need a fight stick for tekken.

Mouse + Keyboard is my favorite way to game.

I still have a soft-spot for the PS2/PS3 controller designs. I like the feel in my hand a lot more than Xbox controllers, which I can't stand.

Robot dick attached to a box.

Dualshock 4 is a decent multi-purpose controller for PC.
I dunno. Gyros?
Diamond.
Symmetrical.
Kinda stupid.
Haptic touchpads are shit & you can manipulate the input of most controllers easily with 3rd party software.
It's okay. Provides better aiming than a shitty joystick.
No.
A good d-pad seems rare in modern controllers.

That concept art looks like Jojo stands

toughest controller ever made….
you know when you bought Robotron2084 it came with a plastic holder so you could use two of these at once….ah the early days

Out of all of the Gen 8 & 7 controllers, which would you recommend? I'm trying to decide which to get for my PC

Snes and genesis 6 buttons. PS1&2 are ok. Everything after that generation can give me hand cramps. Then again I'm not much of a modern console dude.
Rapidfire auto mode, that doesn't seem to be applicable much these days thankfully, but it was somewhat neat back then.
Depends on the type of controller and input device.
StreetFighter2 arcade style, control stick on left, not ball top but tear drop shaped thingamajigger, 3 top row 3 bottom row button layout.
I only used it at a friends house, never had one myself so can't say much about it.
Never tried one out yet.
Meh, it has some potential but I kinda want to see more games and better application for it. All the stuff that I was interested in never seemed to really got it perfectly. I'd rather they bring back a lot more light gun games or incorporate that wagglan stuff into a new light gun type game.
Joystick for some flight sim a looong time ago.
Give me a new TimeCrisis, House of the Dead type fun lightgun game, with force feedback tech to simulate recoil and wagglan to "duck" into an obviously non real looking but non faggy gun controller.

SNES controller

I forget the name but those shoulder buttons with pressure sensitivity. Sure they're common now but Nintendo hasn't used them since the GameCube.

—X—
Y—-A
—B—

Xbox. The Dualshock layout just feels awkward for me.

If they're meaningful and they're good, like on the Xbox 360 and Xbone's.

Haven't used one and I don't really care

Terrible unless it's gyro in a normal controller

pic related

those scrolling shoulder buttons on Nintendo's one patent. If it had pressure shoulder buttons too it'd be god-tier

I have several. Saturn pad (US2/JP1), Neo Geo AES stick, NES, Genesis 3 button, Madcatz Gamecube pad, DualShock 4. Depends on the game being played.

Crosspad.

Diamond or 2x3 is fine with me.

I guess DualShock.

When put to good use, brilliant.

No opinion.

Should have been an option, not the standard.

I don't play games much anymore, so the only funky controllers I use might be the number pad for the Atari 2600.

MicroSD slot for saving personal profile and configuration data, so that it could be moved to a stick, pad, or gimmick controller? Have your game system profile follow you when you bring your controller to friends' houses.

I fucking hate using GIMP Jesus Christ

Blue N64 controller, the plastic felt much sturdier when I was younger. Especially when I ran that 5 foot extension for the cable

Rumble Pack

diamond?

One analogue stick and one digital input

gimmicky

Why you would use a "special" controller for steam is beyond me

fucking complete trash

Nope

Penis

FUCKING TELL ME N64 HAD THE WORST CONTROLLER, I DARE YOU

its because you made an image without transparency, obviously

I think it's because I tried to post a copied transparent image. I don't know why, but you have to export .PNGs for transparency to work rather than copying them to your clipboard. I always forget that.

what's its name?

「OCULAR RIFT」
I'm bad at thinking of stand names

『 REDCHANIT』

Has anyone come up with a way to get the controller to work without installing InputMapper or something? Not that it's a big annoyance, but if I ever change operating systems or something it's going to be a real pain in the ass configuring it again.

Of course these days I mostly just game on a keyboard, except when I'm playing Ultra Street Fighter IV or pinball or something.

Linux has drivers for the dualshock 4 past 3.* versions which means most of the distributions should work unless it's a very old release. it just works

I suppose the Dualshock controller. It felt so amazing using that for the first time. I'm pretty sure I bought some games just because they supported it.

Rumble. Sony was fucking nuts to take it away for motion garbage. (I could swear it used to be stronger too.)

The Genesis/Rev2 Saturn six face buttons, I guess?

Xbox 360

Dreamcasts was awesome. N64 not so much.

I've yet to use the Steam controller, but I look forward to trying it and that expensive Xbone one.

They have their uses, but every Wii shoul've came with a pro controller. Normal games need normal controllers.

I used to buy multi-taps for just about every system that had one. You young shits wouldn't understand, since everything supports 4 players out of the box now, but I suppose local multiplayer is pretty much dead now anyway.

It would've been interesting if Microsoft's message pad was just part of the controller, so devs could map the keys and text chat was a prominent part of many online console games as well as voice.

i've very quickly become a big fan of the dualshock 4, especially using it on my PC, its actually better on PC than it is ps4 becuase you can map the share button to something on PC. the d-pad on the dualshock 2 might have been a bit better but the DS4 still gets the job done for mid-level fighting game playing and anything else that needs a d-pad

i use a shitty old ass keyboard that still has a fucking Dell logo and a g500 mouse, both are due for an upgrade

i like the Xbone controller most, even tho i use it on pc when i play games like DMC 3/4, MGR & Dragons Dogma.

i do have a flight stick with pedals, never use them tho would be cool with a VR headset

I broke my controller in rage playing Pacman Championship. What controllers do you recommend for PC?

Xanax might help you control yourself.

Most stands are named after songs so…

Considering how Carmack's a part of Oculus, how about…

『AT DOOM'S GATE』

…or maybe any one of these songs?
doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_music
doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_II_music

I recommend a fighting stick.

But i'm terrible at fighting games (except for classic KI), and i usually don't play that genre. Mostly for emulation.

Here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about changing up my vidya playing by using a joystick and keyboard instead of a mouse and keyboard. Am I completely insane?

or get a hitbox
or a keyboard
literally anything but a pad with no buttons

you should try a trackball mouse

Steam controller is good for that. Not as good as a mouse, but better than analog sticks.

If you're such a nigger that you actually throw controllers, then I'd suggest a gamecube controller for everything possible.

This is the comfiest emulator controller for games that don't require sticks in existence holy fuck.

nah nig, the original dualshock is. if the d-pad was mechanical sony would have the best d-pad in existence

The Jap Saturn is, but the OG Dualshock is great too, but i much, much prefer the original stick-less controller, its d-pad was tight as hell, shame Sony never made it again and relied with the mushy one

Has anyone experiment with using a controller with one hand touching the d-pad and a mouse on the other?

I've done something similar with the analog stick and mouse. Used to use that setup to play TF2 Soldier. It kinda works, but doesn't bring much to the table aside from being able to walk slowly, and that's not much of a deal on the second slowest class.

Im not sure what game would benefit from that though.

I just wanted to use the d-pad to move and the mouse to aim in Hotline Miami.

Wasd is probably the best for that, and i like the extra keys the keyboard gives me. Dpad seems pointless.

I have a tenancy to press the wrong buttons. I had to do a workaround to play Grim Fandango (the original) on the PS3 controller because of the tank controls.

N64 controller is perfect if you have three hands.

There are programs that let you bind pad buttons to keys. Joy2key is a really old one, but there are probably better ones nowadays. Use that to bind WASD or the arrow keys to the dpad.

I tried that but the game automatically detects the Xbox 360 controller and switches to Xbox 360 mode.

DS3, DS4, 360, XBONE
Which gamepad is the best out of all 4? In terms of quality and PC compatibility.

DS3 in terms of PC compatibility, XBONE is actually pretty good in terms of quality.

any chance DS4 will overtake DS3?

You might want to consider the Wii U Pro + Mayflash adapter
No analog triggers though

I can't really think of any games where analog triggers were actually necessary anyways. I'll consider a WiiU Pro

I'm talking about the average controller, not the elite.

i just want this meme to end

source on that video?

youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

My plain original xbone pad has lasted me over two years now. Only two issues- wear around the thumbsticks and the 360 pad feels like garbage in my hands now.

This son of a bitch.

Also, Vive controller is not wagglan, it's 1:1 hand tracking. Ever used a drawing tablet? It's the same except in 3d.

I guess OP had a whole survey of shit to answer.

Favorite: Nintendo DS

Best "gimmick": lightgun aiming

Best button layout: the traditional diamond is still the best but I've always imagined that reducing to a triangle of three buttons would be even better.

Best stick layout: Both on top. Having the sticks in the most natural positions for your thumbs because of the precision that they require really does work best.

Expansion ports: gimmicky shit

Steam controller is pure cancer, but I imagine someone will make a quality fully remappable controller someday.

I never really had a game experience with waggle that I could consider to be satisfying and reliable.

Special limited-use controllers always felt like a big waste of money.

Good idea: Reducing the number of face buttons to a maximum of three and moving inputs to the back of the controller where the rest of your fingers reside.

Twilight Zone?

razer has a gaming pad with a few keys and an analog stick to the side for your thumb. probably crap but i like the concept and wish there were more like it

I own it.
It's just a 4-switch 8-way pad with an analog hat so its more difficult to hit the switches you want.
It's a shittier version of the Belkin Nostromo, but it's the only decent rip-off of such device that is still in production.

It requires you to always have the Razer Synapse shitware running if you want to configure the keys and use them that way, like changing out the capslock key for the G key, or the ""analog pad"" for 1,2,3,4.
Using the device without Razer Synapse running makes it use the default configuration.
The old Nostromos could remember the configuration within the hardware, you didn't need any services or software running in the background.

It does remove the Nostromo's useless mousewheel and puts an extra key in it's place, so that's a plus.

My favorite, for no reason, I just like it.

need to hurry up and convert one for PC

One thing I learned after digging into designing equipment, is that it's not difficult to make, not at all. The hardest part is making a shell, you either have to cast plastic or to 3d-print it (which'll result in shit quality). I personally, in addition to that, can machine parts out of aluminum because I own a mill.

It really applies to everything - making electronics, making hardware, even making automobiles - you just need the right tools and materials.

I would like it more if the black and white buttons were where the bumpers are on thr 360 controller.

I agree, hell there would be quite a few changes I'd make to it. At the end of the day, I'd just like a slightly modified shell with new hardware in it.

You could always try to get gud. Who knows, you could find a fighting game you like.

Everyone seems to think expansion ports are gimicky as shit on controllers, but I kind of liked them. Isn't it cool that when you buy your memory card you're also getting something that will make sure player two doesn't look at your cards or what plays you're picking in NFL Blitz? Even little things like seeing your heartbeat or whatever in Code Veronica felt cool. I kind of hope that as a natural progression the touchpad in the DS4 turns into a touch screen. If it can function the same and they figure the battery out right might as well.

someone read otherland

the nostromo looks like it was perfect. too bad about the synapse software.

i've got basic shop skills so that almost sounds appealing to try at this point.

have any projects to share with us?

As far as PC controllers go, I only ever made one arcade controller.

The process is pretty straightforward:
1) design shape
You don't have to make a room for all the electronic shit on the inside, if you're OK with a breakout box and considerably thick cable. Otherwise, make sure to make room for a PCB. They can be arbitrarily cut, but it must have at least enough room for a processor and soldering pads for leads from your buttons, or plugs if you prefer that, but they take up more space, and more importantly, they take up volume whereas soldering pads are flat. Recommended processor is some of STM32 line w/ USB support, you obviously gonna need that.
2) make the shell.
3) make a PCB. Making a proper PCB for SMD parts is a pain in the ass due to how tiny everything is and that it has to be flawless, so don't expect to get a good PCB on the first try.
4) solder your shit onto PCB. Depending on processor electric specs, you can get away with as little as the processor itself and a small handful of resistors and diodes.
5) program a processor to work as a HID USB gamepad. It can also be a composite device as keyboard/gamepad/mouse whatever really, can even include SD card drive. And program it to output USB data based on input on the buttons. There are plenty of examples online.

And that's pretty much it. Luckily milling machine can also make PCBs so I can get arbitrarily fine PCB on the first try.

Based CrowbCat. His video shitting on GTAV still pisses off casuals to this day.

ma niga

good info, thanks. i don't see anywhere online to get console style buttons and controls so i'm assuming you'd just take them from another controller and wire them

just buy a damn premade pcb and avoid all this hassle, i can predict you will spend far more time getting that pcb done yourself than doing any other piece on the joystick.

What the shit is that disc it looks like the controller forgot to render the dpad.

I love my xbone controller on pc but jesus is that video scary, $150 and they can't quality test?

What do you guys think of this?

Anyone who doesn't have bitch hands automatically prefers this controller. It's just fact.

Sonyggers need not respond.

What does a perfect controller need?

Anything other than this is just extraneous gimmicky crap.
Gyro might be gimmicky but Splatoon has taught me this is down right fucking fantastic for trying to aim fps on a controller, even if it still doesn't compare to mouse/kb.

Kill yourself.

ALL YOU NEED

Dreamcast controller was probably the best controller overall. Good analog stick that never broke on me, good controller design for the hands and not too big (the Xbox and Xbox 360 controllers took a lot of design elements from the Dreamcast controller like the trigger buttons), D-pad that is really good like Nintendo's D-pads, and doesn't have any wonky design elements with the button placement like the N64 and Gamecube controllers had in the similar era. The only downside is that for there to be a vibration function you had to buy an accessory and stick it in like you would a VMU memory card, but that's not too big of a deal. I'm neutral on the controller cord being on the bottom of the controller instead of the top like about every other wired controller had.

Good luck finding a premade that supports more than 12 buttons, let alone being programmable.

I already told you, you use 3d printer or cast plastic into molds. You can alternatively use a fucking wood, that works too. For triggering, you have an option of microswitches, leaf switches and rubber pads. For keyboard buttons you should be able to readily find spare keys of required shape and switches of any sort.

Instead of a gaming-specific PCB there's always the Teensy 2.0. It's an Arduino that can send USB keyboard, mouse and game controller signals. It's also cheaper than the official thing although Arduino clones are even cheaper.
Stick it in a breadboard, connect buttons and sticks to it with wires and you should be fine. Analogs require two potentiometers per stick, and 1 button if you want it to be clicky. Add little capacitors to debounce the buttons, so they don't give ghost inputs.
Embed related is for a MIDI controller, but it's the same idea.

Where's a Jon Jafari condescending face when you need one?

It's actually pretty comfy in your hands. It's still a shitty gimmick

Thank you user

No, different controllers adjust better to specific games.
Gamecube's controller was very comfy in games like Metroid Prime.
Even general purpose like controllers like the Xbox 360 would feel non optimal in such games.

Now, I do feel that the Xbox controller for windows works well with most games. I like the way your hands cover the controller, it feels natural.

I have used the PS controller for stuff like Dragon's Crown and no matter what configuration I use, I keep feeling something's odd.

Until your finger falls off from gripping the left trigger so much.

The Gamecube's face button layout is objectively inferior to the classic diamond at least.

I feel like analog triggers are always terrible for precision rapid input as well.

I prefer Xbox controllers. Dualshocks, even the DS4, usually feel too small and uncomfortable for my big hands.

You didn't always needed to completely press the L & R buttons.

In Metroid Prime the big Green button was Fire, a button you used every 2 seconds or so.
Red button was jumping. This made a lot of sense and worked fine.
X & Y were gray because you rarely used them. I believe one was used for missiles, which you certainly didn't use -WHILE- firing.

Original XBox controller, the one made for man hands.
N64, it was a solid implementation of analog stick and trigger but they got D-pad / stick placement all wrong.
I don't even get these questions, every decent controller has basically the same layout.
I liked the memory / rumble pack for the N64 as it was experimental at the time but every controller since should have that shit built in.
I would need to own one and have played around with it a lot to have an opinion worth sharing.
I fucking love the Vive controllers, they are so much better than I was expecting.
HOTAS warthog + basic rudder pedals.
Trim, give all analog sticks the option to be trimmed on the controller itself.

You did actually if you wanted rapid fire.

I wanna fuck that B button

I meant the scrolling shoulder buttons.

Oh, I remember that.
Pretty sure that was a non-documented but intentionally developed thing, like walljumping.

In prime you do. Locking on is essential.

what keyboard is that and how much is it?

Looks like a wasdkeyboard

The Pokken Tournament controller is an excellent generic USB controller for PC, been emulatan Crash Bandicoot with it.