Are there any modern games like PSO? I'm in the mood for an addictive item hunting game dripping with atmosphere...

Are there any modern games like PSO? I'm in the mood for an addictive item hunting game dripping with atmosphere, preferably with co-op, but it seems like everything is either a Diablo-clone or a free-to-play MMO these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

ephinea.pioneer2.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

PSO was basically proto-MonHun

When are they finally going to grow some balls and release it to the west already?

I liked playing the game but the amount of japanese completely turned me off

It isn't for you then normalfag

Afraid not. Cant think of a single one.

2 just added a bunch of garbage

Never, it's far too late for them to release it here, not to mention it will have the same issue with lack of content that the first one had.

PSO2 has as much in common with PSO as the Xbox version of Bomberman does with Bomberman 64.

Want to play PSO2 that badly? There's guides out there to tell you how to jump on Japanese servers.

As for the west we're essentially going to have to make our own PSO2 if you want to fill in the hole SEGA left in the market.

I always wanted a PSO style game that used customizeable mechs. The parts could change your gameplay style and role from tank with a jetpack to repair and artillery. All with randomly generated zones and encounters of varying difficulty.

And since you can only gain power through buying mech parts your skill is what will carry you through.

Boy, i already said i played it, followed the tutorial and everything, it was okay for a while until i got sick of the large amount of nipponese.

I just want a PURE english version to enjoy thats all.

PSO2 has infinitely more content than the original. It's had more since halfway through Episode 1, and we're on Episode 4. The problem is that PSO2 doesn't even fit the "it's not about the destination. It's about the journey" thing. The level cap is so easy to reach that they had to implement systems to reward players for capping all classes and going beyond that. Since those rewards are more or less useless after a certain, easily reached point, PSO2 has trouble keeping a westerner's interest. The game has been long overdue for a very large level cap increase, but this November will mark two years stuck at level 75.
This is, of course, setting aside the fact that the west won't get collab content like the upcoming FFXIV Odin fight. In that sense, yes, the western release would be lacking in content.

PSO2's problems, while numerous, don't stem from the cash shop. Look up Shin Megami Tensei Imagine if you want to see a game where the cash shop fucked things up to the point that it actually killed the game.

Alright, then let me be more specific:

PSO2 is basically Sega's attempt to make a mobile game on the PC. Pointless "gameplay" that you can only play in small bite sized chunks. That's not what I want, I want an addictive item hunting RPG I can gwt immersed in while I play for hours and rot in my chair from the inside out.

Well, There's always the private servers for the game, like ephinea while you hope a game like it comes out. This game was treading a lot of uncharted water as the first console mmo, even the trailers for it didn't know what to say.

Don't even kid yourself about those drop rates. You can pump all the rare drop boosters you want, and you still won't get jack shit. This is why Sega had to give out three free 12 star weapon passes. The player base said XH content was too hard, and a huge reason for that is that 90% of players are stuck with 10 star gear because 11+ just doesn't drop except for people with atari IDs (metadata tags in character data made on creation that massively boosts rare drop rates as a way to prove rare drops actually exist). I agree with the rest, though.

But that's pretty much exactly what I said.

No, what you said was "Sega balances the droprates around the existence of the player shop, making droprates so abysmally low that item hunting is essentially impossible." The word balance implies that there's a point where getting rare drops becomes feasible if you use rare drop boosters from the cash shop. This isn't the case.

PSO2 (obviously)
Vindictus
Monster Hunter
Warframe
Skyforge
DFO

First time I played Tri online my reaction was, this shit's exactly like PSO, same lobby system, same netcode.

Ya goofed.

Alright, I guess you got me there.

Are there any modern action RPGs that are essentially or have the equivalent of PSO's Challenge Mode? That was really one of the best parts about the game.

Did you even play it?

Yeah, it's trash.

I have, and it's a bunch of time attack shit just like PSU.

PSO2 has challenge mode, but like another user said, there's no point to running it since the rewards are obsolete at this point. Doesn't help that even when the rewards weren't obsolete, you'd either have to be in an active team or run with shitters that barely make it half way through, making it take forever to get rewards.

The rewards in the original's Challenge Mode are nice but they're not really the reason people keep coming back to it. The concept of self-contained hour-long RPGs with randomized loot that need teamwork to get the best time in is just really fun.

And how was PSO any different?

But PSO was exactly that - a diablo clone. More specifically Diablo 1 clone with space fantasy flavour.
The only key difference is that you directly control your character instead of clicking on stuff.

Are you implying that PSO2 has the same concentration of shitty gag characters and low-key anime humor as PSU?
Because it doesn't.

As far as gameplay go PSO2 is more of a Musou/Basara game, rather than anything Phantasy Star, universe or not.

*crickets chirping*

Sounds like someone who left in the middle of ep3 as it's complete BS now. If anything the major PSO2 problems are fucking stupid ep4 and everything related, eggs and translation team being lazy fucktards.

What?

PSO was space Diablo through and through. MonHun on the PS2 played basically nothing like it except for the fact that it was multiplayer online and had a lobby hub system for instanced dungeons. The actual mechanics of hunting monster and gathering their spleens and making weapons out of them was totally different.

I've put literally THOUSANDS of hours into PSO/PSU/PSP2i - and a few hundred into PSO2/PS:Nova. I've never been able to put more than handful of hours into a MonHun game, precisely because I was only looking at it for an alternate to PSO and it just wasn't it.

Despite all the similarities, there's something terribly off about Monster Hunter. I tried like 6 different games, and couldn't get into it no matter what.

I guess that's also would be the reason why Monhun crown doesn't give much attention to other games and series.

OP, about the closest you're going to get to classic PSO - is PSP2i. It's all about just powerfucking through wave after wave of enemies and hunting items. The only problems is that it's on PSP (PPSSPP), it's not online anymore (it can be, but nobody is really on), and it's only in Japanese.

On the last point, download a copy of PSP2. Play through to about lvl 20 - get familiar with the menus - and then switch off to PSP2i which has more items, more stages, and improved combat. It'll be a little tougher being illiterate in a text heavy game, but on the bright side, the story missions are so fuckstupid that not being able to understand them will be a huge plus. You might be tempted to find out what's on with Pioneer 2 and Red Ring Rico in a side mission - or wonder why Olga Flow is back. Don't think about it. It's just fanservice shit, and isn't real and isn't important to the story of either game. The horrible story, a few of the cringy characters, and some of the bland vanilla PSU levels are about the only bad shit PSP2i inherited from PSU. At it's core, it's the true spiritual successor to PSO so far as I can tell. Just nose to the grindstone mob thrashing for hours for sparkly weapons.

If you can get a couple of old PSPs and some friends, load up CFW and the game on their systems and play locally. It's a fucking blast.

I gotta add that playing on live PSP would be better than emulating.
Mostly due to the fact that game is locked to some fucked up portable framerate, that it looks and feels pretty shitty on PC, while it's fine on PSP.
Or maybe I didn't config emulator properly, even though I played Tekken DR perfectly fine

I truly don't know how anyone can say this horseshit with a straight face.

PSU was PSO 2.0 to beign with, as far as gameplay go. It's the designs and narrative that went south.

PSP and especially PSP2 polished PSU formula while reducing retarded animoo shit from that game.
PSO2 drives even closer to the original with its mood, setting and progression, while having completely different combat system.
At least as far as Episode 1 and 2 go. Then it went full DBZ.

I was mainly intending that PSO and PSP2/i are pure multiplayer horde slaying/loot grinding games. PSU tried to deviate from the formula too much by killing rare drops in favor of "rare materials" by which you build (break) your rare items. PSO2 has too much distractive horseshit with the player shops/cash shops/TACOs/EQs/lobby concerts/etc.

PSP2i didn't lose it's focus, and hits all the same notes that made PSO fun to play. Not to mention that half of PSO itself is jacked directly into PSP2i.

Again, so long as you ignore the story (you still have to play through it at least once to unlock new areas, unfortunately) and the shitty PSU characters, and can handle the shitty stock PSU areas (there's plenty of new ones that are more visually interesting and fun to play)… then it's pretty much the closest you're going to get to PSO classic.

The only real problem, is that it's offline now. Which is a pretty big downer, but there's ways around that. Local multiplayer is superior anyhow because navigating the OSK on PSP is shit.

The only that even comes close, is PSZero on the DS - which technically is much closer to PSO in gameplay - it's just that there's just so damned little content there to spread around that it's hardly satisfying.

You could try Ephinea.
ephinea.pioneer2.net/
Blue Burst server with new features that are entirely optional.
As for modern games? No, not really. Dusting off the old PSO disc or private servers is all you get.