From Open Defecation To Indiscriminate Waste Disposal, Why Cleaning-up Ganga Is An Arduous Task

Though 80 percent villages along the banks of Ganga have become open defecation free (ODF), a lot remains to be done on the untreated sewerage and waste disposal fronts.

swachhindia.ndtv.com/from-open-defecation-to-indiscriminate-waste-disposal-why-cleaning-up-ganga-is-an-arduous-task-7011/
archive.fo/nNxRv

When the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan was announced in October 2014, one of the priorities was to eradicate open defecation and rampant dumping of waste from villages and towns situated along the banks of river Ganga. Ganga, which flows for a length of 2,525 kilometres and passes through the five crucial states of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal. For years, open defecation and dumping of waste was a common culture across rural India, and the towns and villages near Ganga were no exception. Eradicating the practice of open defecation from the 5,169 villages has posed significant challenges for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan for multiple reasons.

An Age Old Practice

Defecating across the banks of a water body as immense as the Ganga is a practice which is centuries old, passed on from one generation to other. The abundance of water in the form of Ganga has allowed people to not only defecate openly but also bathe and wash clothes and utensils right alongside the river, resulting in flow of faecal sewage. Apart from individuals, industries too are guilty of using the Ganga to dump their waste. The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation estimates that 764 industries release about 500 million litres of wastewater every day. Though 48 industrial units which were dumping waste in the river were asked to shut down right after ‘Namami Gange’ was launched, the discharge of untreated wastewater remains a matter of concern.

The Centre State Disputes

The relationship between the Union and State governments has played a tricky part in the implementation of several Ganga cleaning schemes. Rs. 5780 Crores has been released to Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MoDWS) for construction since 2014 of toilets in 1651 Gram Panchayats of 5 Ganga Basin States. But out of the targeted 15,27,105 toilets, MoDWS has been able to complete construction of only 8,53,397 toilets accounting for just 55 per cent, from 2014 to 2016. Often the requisite funds are not released on behalf of the state governments, which result in delayed toilet construction. The difference in the attitude of state governments can be gauged from their expenditure towards construction of toilets near the Ganga basin.

West Bengal which has spent Rs.584 crores of in the building of toilets in the state remains one of the highest spending states under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, utilizing about 87 per cent of its allocated Rs. 667 crores of funds. Bihar on the other hand has spent merely Rs. 73 crores of its allocated Rs.404 crores, utilising only 18 per cent of its Swachh Bharat funds. The villages in Bihar along the banks of river Ganga have performed the worst in terms of becoming open defecation free. Only 238 of the 795 villages situated near the bank of Ganga have attained the open defecation free status.

Dysfunctional Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs)

Similar to the local population residing near Ganga, local industries have also treated the river as their favourite dumpyard for decades. Industrial units in cities like Kanpur, Allahabad, Varanasi and Patna have dumped sewage without ensuring treatment of any kind. The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) estimates that 80 per cent of the sewage which is dumped into the Ganga exceeds permissible standards of fecal coliform, a bacteria known notoriously for causing waterborne diseases. 64 sewage treatment plants are spread across 5 states but 20 of them are non-functional. Of the ones which are functional, these are collectively responsible for treating some 2,723.30 million litres/day (MLD) of sewage while treatment capacity is for 1,208.8 MLD. The functional STPs are treating more than 125 per cent of their capacity, which puts immense pressure on the machineries treating the waste, and drains them of their performance lifeline, and results in untimely closure of the plants. The provision to treat industrial waste and sewage separately remains non-existent and hence sewage and wastewater is discharged into the river directly, without treatment.

On April 2017, the National Green Tribunal ordered the shutdown of 13 industrial units in Uttar Pradesh for releasing pollutants in the Ganga. The NGT also decided to itself conduct inspections on the most polluted stretch of Ganga river, between Haridwar in Uttarakhand to Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh.

Lack Of Coordination

The lack of coordination and a lacklustre attitude of officials and ministries have hurt the Ganga rejuvenation attempts for many years now. From 2003 to 2014, the National River Conservation Authority (NRCA), one of the concerned bodies for Ganga rejuvenation did not meet even once in 10 years. The steering committee of the body, which is made up of members representing the 5 concerned states through which the river flows, has not met since 2007. This apparent lack of coordination is something the present Union Government is looking at and trying to get all concerned bodies and officials to meet more frequently for discussing, knowledge sharing and stock taking of the progress made. Recently, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister, Uma Bharti had declared that lacklustre attitude towards the ‘Namami Gange’ project will not be tolerated.

While 80 per cent of the villages situated near Ganga have attained open defecation free status, the setting up of STPs, effluent treatment plants (ETPs) and sewer network needs to be speeded up for the Ganga to be truly pollution free and fit for the human entity status it was recently bestowed with. The human entity status is of high significance, since it was bestowed to ensure that the widespread misuse of Ganga as a dumping yard would stop. The revival of Ganga is critical because being India’s longest flowing river across five states, a large population is dependent on it for drinking water and irrigation. Pollution and depletion of Ganga’s water has severely hampered the river’s water quality, resulting in widespread diseases and inability to use the river water for sustainability purposes. Not just humans, several river fauna such as the Gangetic dolphins are facing the threat of extinction due to the polluted water of the Ganga. Ganga’s revival has become a critical for the environment, ecosystem and India’s social history so that the river can retain its lost glory.

Why cant they just poo in loo?

These niggers deserve to be exterminated
sage because I poo in loo

India must learn to love and accept Rei.

It boggles my mind a country can master rocketry without putting a single research point in plumbing. I understand they're poor, but it can't be cheaper to have way more diseases.

they plan on using the unlimited poo supply to power their rocket ships world pooper power in 2030

go back to cuckchan

this thread is shit.

Kek

DESIGNATED!

Maybe if they make every crime a capital punishment and waiting to be executed is under 24 hours. This would reduce the poos.

Omnicide

I think autogenocide is correct word for the government to murder their people.

Checked.

Toilets are only really useful if they're connected to something other than your Untouchable slave's hands. To get that, you need the kind of society where either A) The king gives a fuck whether his subjects live or die, or B) a forum where citizens can plan public works.

India has always been a place where it's cheaper to send the expendable coolies to scoop poo with their hands than make five rupees' worth of sacrifice for running water. What little they do have is mostly a holdover from Sahib English and his mysterious ability to conjure water from a pipe.

Christ, I love being white. But it certainly is stressful to share a world with everything else.

True. I'm saying the real solution to all problems. Omnicide. Just destroy everything and everyone. No more errors after that.

You don't need running water to have basic poo sanitation you stupid fucking Pajeet. Even cats can at least bury their shit. CATS.

We need to build the closed underground society.

You can't. Watch what happens.

Superpooper 2030

I hope that thing's not made entirely of pure gold.

Can you imagine how heavy the lid must be?

:(

I chuckled. Imagine that she is desperately trying to lift up because she is suffering from diarrhea. How awkward is that?

To this day I remain in awe at how imageboards turned a country with millennia of history and over a billion inhabitants, into nothing but poo memes.
Meme magic is fucking scary

SHITTING

It always was.

That depends on whether you treat the diseases or just let people die.

I honestly don't care if they shit in their own mother's mouth. As long as they do it in their own shithole and don't come anywhere near a western country. An massive, aggressive outbreak of typhus or cholera is just what these useless surplus populations need.

The river ganges is considered holy by indians.
Indians defecate in the river ganges.
Is this the origin of the phrase "holy shit"?

Even Lovecraft wrote about how disgusting and repulsive India and the Indians were. Mind you, that was century ago.

Fuck you, Carlos.

more pics

All of that history was when their upper cast tried to remain as white as possible.
That shit's gone down the drain.

ancient india had sewers and was good in math

then something went wrong

(((Something)))

Must be great. I've become desensitized to smashing my dick in regular toilet lids.

Checked.
The Bhagavad Gita describes Jews perfectly. They had to have come into contact.
Read pic related and tell me that they didn't.
Our real history is unknown to us.