Did you have a game that scared you or was otherwise too intimidating to play as a kid and you later picked it up and...

Did you have a game that scared you or was otherwise too intimidating to play as a kid and you later picked it up and ended up loving it?

For me, it was Soul Reaver. The whole atmosphere and undead stuff was scary enough, but what I think detracted me from playing it was mostly the fact that "being alive" AKA being in the world of the living was temporary and you were basically living in a decaying corpse whose life was literally vanishing every passing second. I guess I didn't like the momentary nature of it because I had no problem playing in the spectral world (for those that don't know, your health here regenerates with time instead of vanishing) whenever my brother took a break from the game.

Anyways, got a game you love but didn't like/didn't pay attention to at first?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassophobia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I loved this game, but oh my god when it came to the cathedral? fuck that place.
Who's bright idea was it to put the enemy roaring sounds in the freaking background track? and Spider vampires? that randomly drop from the ceiling as you're solving block puzzles and sneak up on you? nooooo thank you

Anyway, on topic: mostly horror games, specifically because those fucking tank controls. but man do i love the story to things like fatal frame and silent hill

I was about 5 when I first played super metroid. Something about being alone on an abandoned alien planet creeped me out, and being locked in a room with a boss with scary music playing (first miniboss chozo statue) scared the fuck out of me.

That shit really frustrated me.

I recall something about the director asking devs to come up with puzzles each day during production, be grateful only the cathedral is heavy on puzzles.

Got a link for that? Was it a video or an article?

Can't find it, is weird, it appeared on trivia on several pages.

There was this one horror game set in space. It was scary and I stopped playing it but I never picked it up again. I don't even remember the name.

I think you're just a pussy, user.

This game was fucking terrifying to me as a kid. Fucking spooky ass rotting zombies and shit.

First and only game that made me stop playing out of pure fear. Good stuff.

Is there a phobia name for underwater darkness or something? i played shit like silent hill and resident evil when i was 9, but when i reached the underwater level in tomb raider and the shark was coming at me, i instantly pressed the reset button on the playstation. Only continued the level once i got older, but it still felt uncomfortable.

It's called being a regular person

Holy shit this game scared my pissbaby 6 year old self.

i dont like spooky games were you dont have guns, so i watch my brother play those

There is a fear of the water, or more aptly, something IN the water.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassophobia

It's startling as shit, but due to the shitty controls for shooting, you usually die the first time.

If I take the time to think about it, this always freaks me out when I'm on a boat where you can't see past 5-10 feet in the water. I've played too many video games to not get a bit freaked about it.

I know it's a silly fear, but there's that little niggling doubt that there might really be something down there.

Conversely dark underwater levels tend to be some of my most favorite levels as well. I apparently enjoy the fear when it holds no real lasting consequences.

Melee is a joke in RE even if you are supposed to be a highly trained cop, what were they thinking? Harry Mason defends himself better and he was just a writer.

Illusion of Gaia/Time, i blame the music.

anyone figure out how to get soul reaver working on windows 10 yet

Mein nigger of similar taste

The sentiment is mutual

One of the bosses in Spyro the Dragon scared me when I was younger. Also this , When you encounter the first zombie and he turns around and looks at you. One of my fears is still being eaten alive.

I'll add Nightmare Creatures and Tomb Raider's T-Rex. Shit was especially scary since I was I kid with no memory card fro my PSX so for half a year all games were 1 life no continues perma death final destination.

same here
but i never finished defiance

nightmare creatures 2
and alone in the dark : the new nightmare for the ps1

nope

Me too
Shooting fish near the first boss fight of resi4 taught me to be afraid of the water

Me neither. Gotta get a new copy or emulate it

i couldn't play shadowman when i was a kid but if you ask me which game did scare me but i ended up loving it;

half-life.

aside from controversies on Holla Forums, this game is the game of my life. when i was 7 or 8 i met this game thanks to my close friend. first time, the atmosphere was scary enough for me to close the game 1 or 3 times. then i started to love it, even when i am not playing the game and running around in my grandma's house i was pretending like i was in black mesa. i am not a faggot who overreact things but something in this game just hit me in the head. i loved everything about half-life for some reason but i hated hl2 since the atmosphere was gone.

half-life is still have a different place in me.