Why does Street Fighter 3 get two mediocre sequels but Virtua Fighter 5, which is arguably the best 3D fighter...

Why does Street Fighter 3 get two mediocre sequels but Virtua Fighter 5, which is arguably the best 3D fighter, gets nothing but two re-releases?

supply and demand

Not enough people want more Virtua Fighter, but more than enough people want Street Fighter.

Because you need to be really good at the game to even begin to appreciate the meat of the gameplay. Not accessible enough. Most players will never experience the game at that level and instead see it as boring and tacky with no personality.

Working under the unlikely assumption that SEGA will even bother to to give this IP the time of day, how do you think they should go about making it appeal to a wider audience?

The best and probably the only necessary way would be to give it a story mode, since that will hook many players in. It's honestly surprising that these games don't have story modes. Even Dead Or Alive has a story mode.

VF is too technical, the barrier of entry is too high for causal fans.

Extremely uninspired character design and general art direction. It's boring as shit to look at and the people aren't interesting.

It goes to show how important this is, because even the rock-solid extremely well made fighting mechanics mean nothing if it's boring.

because there only ever be guest VF fighters in the more popular but still not popular at all titty ninja fighting game

Same reason games like Distant Worlds or Aurora aren't a hundredth as popular as shallow trash like Stellaris.

Also ADHD underagefags like have no taste in design and want big cool fire demons like in WoW and big flashy explosions full of bloom with every punch. Oh and it doesn't have the fap appeal like DoA, so cancer that shells out 60$ for a fap has no real interest.

Hopefully they release the next one (rumored) on PC, then I'll be happy.

You are right, look how inspired and amazing these designs are.

You got your kung fu guy who looks like he was made in a "Create your own character" mode. Seriously it doesn't look like anyone ever went over him and said "Can you tell anything about this guy just by looking at him?" Very low energy.

You got your nondescript blonde woman in extremely plain clothing.

You got your e.honda sumo guy, vs your awkward ken with a chain belt

Man I am blown away by this art direction, stylization, and inspired character design.

I'm not even that into Virtua Fighter, but you can go fuck yourself. Is DoA excused just because it has tits?

I was referring to Street Fighter 4 and 5. 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike aren't technically sequels.

You asked why it doesn't get attention. I told you because it is visually boring as fuck.

You can have it grounded and at least put energy into the designs. I.e. go look at the shitty capcom games, their regular people are loaded with design and direction.

I am not even kidding. Go take soul caliber and any of the ones that have a "make your own fighter" mode where it's obvious everything just sort of gets pasted together. That's what those models look like. That is a fucking disaster. There is no visual throughput.

Why would I when Soul Caliber has been shit after 2 and worse than Tekken?

I'm not the same dude you've been talking with, check IDs.

I get what you mean, the characters are to an extent, quite unremarkable. But they are visually distinct from one another and do have enough personality to get you interested. It was one of the earlier 3D fighters too, pushing for a realistic look and movement. Characters were never the focus here, the actual gameplay was.

It's a series with a lot of history, arguing that it's dead in it's tracks because of bland character design is retarded. With the boost in popularity that EVO and the fighting game scene have received it makes no fucking sense that a technical fighter like this would lose any and all interest. It's simply down to Sega being inept. Again.

This comes into contrast with Tekken, in which the characters are bursting with personality, both in the promotional material, the games and even the supplementary material, such as the manuals. When Tekken is advertised, you get all this fluff about the Mishima feud and a bunch of other characters duelling with each other spliced in at all sorts of intervals. When they fight, it's visually exciting; sparks fly and bodies fly even further and this is backed up by amazing sound direction that hasn't really changed since the first game.

Tekken also has a history being an unbalanced juggling kiddie fighter compared to VF, especially in the 90s where Tekken was laughed at by tournament players and anyone with. Please kill yourself for thinking visual flair makes a game. You probably buy cinematic games just to fool yourself into thinking ogling at graphics is a gameplay substitute.

***anyone with taste

Most of us here agree that gameplay trumps visual flair. But you have to put yourself in the shoes of a normalfag. Will they take interest in the game if it isn't as visually interesting as other fighting games in the market? Especially considering the high barrier of entry of VF? I literally don't care about the story or art direction in VF and will play the games anyway, but most people won't even give it the light of day unless it has a good story or a good visual flair and that results in the games being unmarketable unless SEGA can turn it around.

If its so good then why does it need any sequels when its already perfect

Because Virtua Fighter is not Sonic and Sega is autistic.

Man, I love Virtua Fighter. Fun games. Good taste.

That is a pretty good point, actually. It would just be an opportunity for them to fuck everything up.

I am not saying that visuals are more important than gameplay. I am just telling you how the shitty visuals ARE PROBABLY CONNECTED TO WHY THE AVERAGE PERSON DOESN'T CARE ABOUT IT. It's part of a genre that is already fucking niche as fuck. And then it's got that problem on top of it.

In my first fucking post I even said the game was top notch. PAY MORE ATTENTION AND READ MORE CAREFULLY

I guess this is it then.
I picked it up and found it interesting but kinda boring to play. I didn't fully get it
Street Fighter is easier to understand

WHERE ARE THOSE PORTS SEGA?

Why so mad, Guts?
Shouldn't you be playing with your loli?

I think the problem is you focused too much on calling the visuals shit in many different ways and several times and only called the gameplay good once in a thread about VF in a board where there's a decent amount of people that praise it. I don't know what you were expecting. Next time try re-stating that you think the gameplay is more important more than once or just deal with the backlash you're obviously going to get for criticizing it harshly.

The community here is so shit.
This is how pretty much every argument here happens.
There's always some baby shoving words in people's mouths, taking things too far or making up lies.
Someone is always just trying too hard to look like the "cool kid".

Community here is mostly kids, what did you expect?

Because muh fgc is full of scrubs and retards that would rather hadouken and dragon punch all day every and an extremely technical and demanding fighting game like VF is simply too much for your average shitter, so, why even bother?

That's like asking why more people want to see the next capeshit movies than En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron.

Virtua Fighter is piece of shit.
Street Fighter 3 is the single best fighting game ever created.

Because VF is too technical for scrubs and Sega doesn't care about anything but sonic.

Nice Quads but Garou and CvS2 are infinitely better.

Thanks for proving my point, now please go back to Tekken.

Garou is on par with vanilla SF3, I give you that, but it can't keep up with 3rd strike.

CvS2 though is pure fucking garbage.

Most people praising SF3 never seriously played KOF.

Except KOF13 is my third favorite fightan after 3rd strike and Samsho 5.
Shove your assumptions up your ass.

What is the point of this thread?

Most people praising 3S are tryhard posers who know jack-fucking shit about fighting games outside of the last 3 SF entries, so yeah that would make sense.

That's a bad comparison, Skullgirls is more Swedcuck-garde than Virtual Fighter.

wew

If you want air dasher, play Arcsys ones, those at least pretend to have coherency.

WEW

It's for non-SF fighters to hugbox and circlejerk.

The only thing about CvS2 that I can comment on, since I'm shit at it, is that I wish the sprites were a homogenous style. But then I suppose we wouldn't get Morrigan in every game if they had to bother to redraw her sprites.

Goddamn that shit looks messy and ugly as hell now that you mention it

normalfags don't consider Virtua Fighter anything but that one fighting game with funny-looking polygonal graphics

Morrigan's sprite looks horrible even compared to other Darkstalkers characters

I honestly didn't know about Virtua Fighter until the 7th gen when I saw the game in store shelves. I didn't even know that it was one of the best 3D fighters until I heard about people talking about it on Holla Forums. It looked pretty bad because it looked like a cheap create a character game like fighter maker, and why buy that since I already have that game.

It is also never mentioned in passing like tekken is with SF people(aris I had in mind) or skullgirls with marvel and yatagarasu with KOF. It doesn't even come up in fgc crowd. It's completely removed from the vocabulary of people inside and outside of the competitive scene for all that I know outside of youtube and Holla Forums.

It needs people to talk about it. It need some kind of revival like windjammers or some shit so it is in people's mind but even then no series has come back well after being resurfaced from the pool of irrelevance.

At least it's not Arcana Heart 3. Great fighting game with a good emphasis on fast aerial gameplay and it's stuck under a publisher that's greedy as hell.

rereleases are better sequels than brawl and brawl 2.0 were

forgot image