What happened to Japan to make them get so shit at making games after the PS2 era...

What happened to Japan to make them get so shit at making games after the PS2 era? Even their big games now feel like budget shitters.

That is far from a problem confined to Japan.

Best answer I can give is that they put less focus on the western market and tried to target the nipponese market.

Budget restraints. Nowadays everyone wants a 100M game-movie and not a purely fun game.

West has Factorio and DF which are amongst the best of all time and recent. DF is 2008 but recent enough.

they listened to the "lol japanese games are so le weird xdDD" propaganda spread by G4 and the likes during the early 2000's.

They're still the same mediocre with strokes if genius from time to time to me.

EDF 4.1 is literally a game stuck in the PS2 era.
Nothing has really changed that much besides a focus on the Vita.

Pachinko and mobile games are the rage right now in Nippon, with actual games and consoles selling pretty poorly locally. The Japanese are now casual as fuck.

Until internet became a big thing you only really encountered good shit from them, that's it.
Once it started to count as a regular household commodity you got a downpour of shit that japanese game development really is. Rushed clones and rehashes in even worse amounts than US/EU industry has ever conceived.

Admittedly, when they make good games they end up being pretty fucking good, but that's about as rare as you expect it to be.

Japanese devs dont arent familiar with modern game engines. Their japanese language support probably sucks. Mtframework was the last engine deveeloped by nippon. Fox engine could have changed all this but konami seem to be using it for pachinko cutscenes

So you want games that cause autism and Japan doesn't make those. Ok.

Nigga are you serious, the west is far worse than Japan.

No need to be upset.

Other way around, m8.

Have you been living under a rock? It's all bullshit by anti-japan SJWs.

In the past generation, there is nothing worthwhile coming out of the west which isn't some shitty one-size-fits-all sandbox crap.

YUP this guy gets it.

Pretty much the only worthwile games from last generation made by a western dev were indies, seeing that more and more people started shitting ut crap indie games to get a slice of the pie, and the AAA devs went more and more towards the casuals hoping to enthrall them with movie-like experiences that have 100M $ budgets blown on world size and graphics but far far less on gameplay or story.

On consoles maybe

Also notice how this tired story has shown up at about the same time as a lot of PS4-related thread derailment, le ebin classic xbawks threads, low-quality sliding and other topics designed to erase Japan and artificially glorify Western devs regardless of whether they're shit or not.

It's happening again, boys. They finally followed us here.

Could you say that…SJWs are cultural imperialists?

Konami is not even good at their main title, Fox Engine is a wasted resource

Buddy they have been here since at least a full year
They are only showing their full blade because summer is ripe for indoctrination

PS4 is a shit console and the original Xbawks had a shitton of jap exclusives.
Kill yourself weeb

It's not like anyone trusts you.

It did, but it didn't sell very well in Japan if I'm not mistaken, or did it not?

It didn't, but honestly if it is not made locally, japs don't buy it
And Microshill tried to pander to small niches with the first 2 consoles (classic JRPG's, Shmups), so almost no one bought it apart form those guys

The original XBOX sold very, very poorly. The 360 did a little bit better after several fucktons of money was thrown at it, but then the fault that had 360's destroy game discs caused a huge loss of face for all the retailers who chose to carry it and participated in the marketing push. You just can't pull that kind of thing on Jap customers. Everybody lost big time.

After that it was pretty much over. The retailers pulled support, the industry closed ranks and Microsoft lost the territory completely. Very embarrassing.

The PS2 and the Saturn butchered discs too
You can if you are yellow

Still stings, huh?

Im sorry for your loss
At least youll have games next year

I don't own a PS4 Microcuck.

I've been playing a lot of really terrible Japanese games. Bloodborne and the Ni-Oh demo were good. I can't think of anything else I liked. What do you like?

Yeah, i don't know why Sony marketed the PS2 as a "standing" console. Shat all over my San Andreas copy
If you meant that i'm rabid about Jewsoft going out in Nippon, not at all, just pointing facts, but i have to say the few good exclusives Microsoft ever had were blatant catnip for nips, and it's a shame they stopped doing that
Xbone is a fuck up in some many levels it's not even funny, and it started with them trying to HEAVILY pander to kids with the Kinect
The Wii was a mistake

THEY WERE ALWAYS SHIT FAGGOT

BACK THEN YOU FAGS JUST GLOBED ALL THEIR SHIT BECAUSE YOU WERE RETARDED WEEBS

Multiple factors. The PS3 initially launched with convoluted architecture which alienated most smaller Japanese development teams, handheld games and later mobile games started dwarfing console games in Japan, there's literally no middleware in Japan so they have to create new engines for every single game which costs money, changing attitudes and expectations from consumers (Read: Cinematic and artistic experiences) as well as the growing popularity of western gaming.

This too. And what a God damn shame because handheld games are on their way out the door and mobile games are a nightmare that will never stop.

Cant wait

casuals are already a bigger cash cow than you, so all you're going to see is the continued death of middleware and console games.

That's the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?

You should buy another wordfilter. I'm sure Jim will sell it to you, he needs the shekels after that recent judgement over 2channel's domain name.

HYPED

They failed to appeal to the homosexual tendencies of western games so many studios just give up and produce shit because japan game market is casual gamers and perverts.

Cya weeb

That means only indie shit and AAA scum
If that's the future you want then things are more grim than we know, the original userbase being full-on suicidal

AA is selling like hotcakes right now thanks to online distribution, AAA will bring their biggest to mobile and hardcore players will stay on conventional platforms.
Just watch

ok now this might get a little wrid but bare with me….

Japanese games industry is superior.

You just sound like someone who's asshurt that people are talking about something that isn't directly related to MUH GLORIOUS NIPPON.

I still remember reading about the Jap launch in a free xbox magazine i got from a friend. They really wanted to make it work, but for some baffling reason, all the launch titles they showed off in the magazine were shit like Halo, Madden and Amped, and pic related which fucking stuck out like a sore thumb. They had no idea what they're doing.

Animu, weaboos, higher resolution, money, students, critics. All the same people.

I still don't know how Media.Vision got roped into that one. I mean, admittedly it's not like they're a direct affiliate of Sony (despite having done a good amount of games for Sony systems and the main series they're known for being owned by Sony itself), but it seems odd that they'd go from making weird-west themed gunslinging JRPGs to… that. Pretty sure that's the only game they ever made for a Microsoft gaming system too.

I played Bioshock, Fable, and Skyrim and can confirm this.
Western companies popularized the AAA multiplat model and western indies are usually SJWs that hate Japan's sexism.

This.

Razorfag please leave. You don't know what words mean.

haven't played AoW have you?

I hate 7th gen retards like you and the weeb above.

You fags the dumbest fucking subgroup around here.
Its not even funny

The market now isn't the same as the market before. Fuck off.

The indie clique is a small subset that gets media coverage and exposure.
There is plenty of indie games you dont know about that arent a part of the journos money laudering schemes.

They are for all itents and purposes a vocal minority.

And they are the ones that pushing for this Western games > Japanese games narrative.

Not really, theyll just shit on anything niche and non streamlined like God Hand and E.Y.E.
All of the biggest more exposed "retro inspired" indieshit are usually friends of them.
All of them fellate Souls games and Mario for example.

Anything thats not AAA is not good outside the clique.
They dont like Japan because of tits and weebs, not much else.

That was my point.

The answer is the PSP. It became too popular in Japan so pretty much everyone developed for it instead of the PS3, resulting in graphics development to stagnate.

They're just useful idiots, albeit enthusiastic ones.

Use this test: If Japanese games were to disappear, who'd benefit most? Who'd make more money, more predictably, for less work?

There's many great Japanese games produced to this day. Western games suffer far more and they produce much more shit, indie, A, AA, or AAA. Japanese games are the best.

japan
jewpan