TN vs IPS for vidya/movies?

TN vs IPS for vidya/movies?

What do you prefer?

I prefer IPS.
Mostly because it doesn't do that weird colour distortion thing TN monitors do when you few them from an angle.

I don't play much FPS or games to the level where I require a TN to squeeze out any and all advantage, so I prefer IPS or VA. I've used TN panels but in general IPS or VA for me.

I've purchased IPS and TN panels, and my experience is that TN are perfectly fine to game on. Then again my diagnosis was only barely on the autism spectrum.

IPS. I shuffle around a lot and I like my colors to stay consistent.

Is IPS worth spending $200 more on vs a TN?

Recent IPS panels have the advantages of TN, so IPS.

I hate TN's shitty colors, and I'm sad that I can't afford a new monitor right now. Feels poor man.

TN because i'm poor

TN for 144hz refresh rate and 1 ms response time.

CRT

Does it matter?

What IPS type and model were you looking at and what general location are you in? In N.America at least E-IPS has come down to the same price as most TN, and IPS and VA has become competitive in price vs mid to good TN panels. A pro grade IPS intended for graphics work will still be expensive, like say an Eizo, but that's usually overkill for just vidya/ watching movies.

1440p 144hz. So not much selection

Hmm, yeah sounds like you're getting into more of the higher tier gaming monitor type then. I'd say look at some examples in person to see if the difference is noticeable enough for you, if you haven't already.

Im not sure if ive ever seen an ips monitor, but im using an acer TN from 2003 right now that looks amazing, just has a tad bit low resolution

TN is shit m8

I assume this is a meme?

Think b4 you meme it up pals

Holy fuck boys I got 77 twice

Sacrifice color and angles for that one millisecond that's "absolutely crucial" for your shitty mobas.

Its also half the price?

If you're on a tight budget, sure. But if you aren't, then you may as well go for an IPS or VA. You probably wont just be playing games, but watch things too, so may as well have accurate colors.

not to mention how fuckin ludicrous expensive a 144hz IPS is.

You can buy a shitty colors 144hz TN panel with great response time for under 300 bucks.

Here's my quick and dirty cheat notes about the practical difference between panel types. There's different subtypes within panel types like E-IPS, H-IPS, M-VA etc, but again this is just a quick and dirty summation.

IPS will have less to no color distortion when viewed from different angles within practical reasons. Some people will complain muh IPS Glow or Backlight Bleed. You can look up what this is, but I've used IPS panels and IMO, unless you are doing professional color work, or some anal cinemaphile fag wannabe that buys an expensive panel but doesn't even know what color calibration is, chances are it's just overly nitpicking.

VA is roughly somewhere between IPS and TN, the color distortion from different angle is less than TN, but not as good as IPS. VA can have something called black crush, you can look up what that is, but again IMO the people who complain that this is a deal breaker, chances are they're the same type of overly nitpickers as above. I've used VA panels that are fine. I still prefer IPS overall for my own use, but there is some decent VA panels out there and last time I was looking at monitors in a store the difference between them have really diminished.

TN. Mid to higher end tier TN are not that bad to be honest, the bottom of the barrel TN will always be garbage. But mid tier TNs are suprisingly good for most usage, it's just nowadays in most cases if you can buy a midgrade TN, the competition offered by IPS and VA is just so good that as a customer you're spoiled for choice. So unless you absolutely need to squeeze out all the advantage because you're a supreme gayman FPS Fatal1ty or something, IPS and VA are very competitive in the common selection of 1920x1080 res.

Muh CRT forever until OLED can replace the True King that is CRT. Walk away from these people. I was a die hard hold out CRT user because I needed it for work. I gladly ditched it the moment IPS and VA caught up. And it has caught up, 9/11 times, CRT fags are just hipster nostalgiafags.

For my work and play purposes I prefer a 21-22in IPS or VA/MVA, bog standard 1920x1080. Affordable, lots of selection.

are you black or being retarded on purpose

When's OLED

never ever

Well I personally think 144hz is a fucking meme, so I didn't consider those monitors with inflated ass prices, I'll give you that. That's just me though, as I would never shell out big money for gayming monitors. I don't even play competitive games so there's no point for me.

For real though, my 250 dollar 1080p IPS monitor with 4ms response time has given me no damn issues with anything.

No but I'm probably retarded.

I went to GTC, nvidia displayed what they claim is a 1700hz screen with no latency and i had spin with it. Wait on that instead nigga

Honestly mate, 4ms is fine if you aint playin competitive. But the 144hz craze is not a myth.

I play CS:GO at a pretty high level and some other shitty comp games and I can tell you right now 144hz ain't a meme.

If you don't take my word for it just search for how many of the autists in top 100-200 play with 144hz.

Last time I checked there was like 1-3 guys playing @ 60 hz.

I can't go back to 60hz after playing 144hz, even for non-competitive games, it is much more fluid and I m spoiled for life now.

I guess you have a point. The most experience I've had with 144hz is testing it out at an electronic store. I probably shouldn't have called it a meme, my bad.

I'm just one of those who prioritize color accuracy over everything else. I really like my eyecandy.

Semi-related, I'm in need of a dual-monitor setup. What should I get?

Not only is 144hz indeed going to improve your game performance, the experience is much better and the game is much smoother. And there's still improvement, too. I can tell from experience as i once played vidya on a 200hz CRT (but it was on a really really shitty resolution).
Latency is a big issue nig, you sure as fuck won't turn on a 5ms monitor and think "oh this is a 5ms" but if you compare for instance a 2ms monitor to a 10ms one you will notice the 2ms one feels better guaranteed. Also, fags who go around saying shit like "b-but why would you do that isn't X good enough?" should go back to africa and live innawoods with stone tools. If you do want a better experience (i.e almost completely eliminated ghosting) 120hz is the real choice because last time i checked monitors with lightboost only came up to that refresh rate. Remember user, on a perfect computer the only limiting factor is you not the machine and we're hundreds of years from that

Dual monitor is a meme, get a 21:9 display or if you just want dual monitor so you have more screen space or can watch movies while you play get anything that works for your vidya and then something with really good image quality

No, IPS is still way slower. Be wary of tests that say otherwise.
IPS has shit contrast, awful blacks (dat glow), and a lot of blur. But it also has good viewing angles and better color. Larger TN panels make solid colors look like gradients even looking straight at them and are almost impossible to use for media work. It's a mixed bag.
I really miss CRTs. I'm still mad SED never happened. This is the future, why did things get worse..

A lot of games go fullscreen exclusive, which is a problem with single monitors.

Are people really so ADD now that watching movies while playing vidya is a thing? That seems akin to trying to watch two movies at once. I can understand wanting to browse the internet while watching a movie since I do that sometimes, but that's easily doable on a single monitor.

More along the lines of a second monitor for browsing and coding a la pic related.

My fiancee uses a second monitor to watch streamers be cancer while gaymen full screen.

I hope she's the finest bitch there is user because that is the only way you are excused for tolerating that.

It's not so bad. She mainly watches speedrunners and they tend to have 500 or less viewers and benign cancer.

Why am I even still alive

they used to have a poor refresh rate but nowadays theres no reason to use anything else