Shitload of GTA clones

What's wrong Holla Forums? But I love Elder Scrolls formula, where are the ES like games?

nah, it's tiny and gay

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs
openmw.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ultima 7

U wot m8. I know of maybe two, and they're 2D games so barely count, plus that unreleased Nioh or whatever.

Fallout.

When Two Worlds came out it was considered to be a clone. For some reason some people said Kingdoms of Amalur was a clone as well since it came out around the time of Skyrim.

OP, I hate to break it to you but you are a faggot.

No dragon's dogma clones either.

We all know that Ultima 7 is Todd's favorite game, but not close.

There are a few indie 3D ones as well. Even the 2D games play literally the same.

Haven't played Two Worlds, but Amalur doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls.

The controls are bad and the world isn't sandboxy enough. No, you can't deny this fact. I'd give it a pass if they at least copied Severance controls and combat. Elder Scrolls is famous for it's comfy and effective FPS controls.

Isn't that fat gook kamiya working on a DD clone he showed at current year E3? Also, DD is just over the top hack and slash combat meets monster hunter, pretty sure there are many of them out there.

wat

Why would we even want this?

They're the epitome of everything wrong with the industry. It's just throwing a ton of money at something without caring much for actual design.

ESO

Fallout 3 and 4.

I think OP wants open world sex simulators with dragons.

I think I get what OP's saying. No openworld RPGs capture the same sense of streamlined, easy, effective and fun first person controls that TES does. Granted Skrim fucked up about everything else that makes an RPG funbut it felt nice to run around the world, explore dungeons (either the cave one or the ruin one or that one that was like both) and loot things.

Developers do not want to tackle the elder scrolls formula because of the supposed difficulty in making hours of "content" and modding tools as well as the costs involved with funding a team to match up against Bethesda.
Big publishers don't like making RPGs in general because of the stigma associated with them by normalfags. Bethesda has subsided this by simplifying the games they create. Also, RPGs generally cost more to produce than "War Shooter 213" and garner less profit.
Therefore, it is difficult for the elder scrolls formula to be replicated, let alone improved, by another dev team. Bethesda can keep making their shitty games unopposed and the masses will continue to lap it up.

Don't care about your shitty opinion fam.

That's GTA and minecraft clones. ES is like sandbox with handcrafted stuff thrown in.

I'm not a degenerate.

Pretty much.

Betheda was still a compact, smaller budget company when they made Arena and Daggerfall, maybe up to Morrowind. Most of their resource was wasted on building the engine. IT'S TWENTY SIXTEEN, we now live in the age of cheap and optimized 3D engines, wouldn't be hard to make semi sandbox action RPG games.

Isn't their engine just a modified gamebryo engine?

XrEngine, before Morrowind. You think heavily modifying and optimizing engine is cheap?

I mean XnGine.

Large open world first person games are pretty resource intensive (time and money) to make and don't hold up well to the test of time in terms of graphics. This means only a few companies can really try to emulate the elder scrolls and even then they'll be friction between making the game distinctly unique and streamlined (as in any feature they add to differentiate itself from TES will probably polarize the game away from the casual market).

Best hope is some major company is developing a game in secret that is a big open world TES experience with Dark Messiah combat and physics system.

I just got ESO on sale on steam 20USD . Haven't played it since beta. Wanted to know if anyone had any personal thoughts. Preferable first-hand experiences.

It was a complete and unmitigated clusterfuck when I played it.
Critical objects would fail to spawn during missions, regular crashes, gameplay that felt stiff and akward, tiny world, terrible voice acting and the whole thing is one giant steaming pile of vomit as far as the lore of the elderscrolls universe is concerned.
But that was a month after launch.
I'm still sure as fuck not paying to play that shit.

It's hit and miss.

The gameplay is Elder Scrolls standard, and the quests are all really generic and reek of reused assets. However, the exploration is quite nice, it's got some pretty character customization options and some of the areas are beautiful.

How is character development in terms of attributes and skills? Is it as shallow as Skyrim?

That was one aspect of the game I thought was going to be super bland like the areas in SWTOR but was pleasantly surprised. Although I do believe the ESO guys use a newer version of Hero Engine.

Its like you want to be called a fag.

The character progression is honestly pretty mediocre. There's already a good bit of power creep setting in, but most stat-boosting equipment just boosts your health and damage and the like, so it's not full WoW-tier "stat sticks" equipment.

You can only choose one of four classes, and you can't cross-class like you could in the mainline games. Skill progression lines are MMO standard "tank/debuffer, nuker/buffer, crowdcontrol/healer" fare, but the game actually plays more like an actual Elder Scrolls game than, say, Mabinogi or World of Warcraft so there's a bit more skill to using them than just facerolling.

Fuck iff gook.

Skyrim doesn't have scaling to the obnoxious level of Oblivion. I loved having to min-max to be effective and locking my level fairly early on so enemies don't scale too badly.

Bandits in Glass is just the beginning, every enemy turns into a health sponge at higher levels.

Modern/historical shooters also are easy because the lore is already "done" for you.

They got so deep into Gamebryo by the time Skyrim was released that they're practically slaves to the engine. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs

So no attributes or skills whatsoever? And your starting class locks you in to your role for the whole game?

I was expecting nothing and I'm still let down.

Any Spore clones yet?

Maybe you're attributing everything to being a ripoff of just one popular game a little too hard? Except for the minecraft clones.

Define what would make a game ES-like.

what? where?

Enderal comes out in a week, the launch trailer dropped yesterday.

Anything that shares are genre similarity to a popular bideogame is a ripoff of it now, don'tcha know?

Most games where there are spawning cars that you can jack, spawning pedestrians you can kill, exaggregated physics and crime meters are blatant GTA ripoff, like saints row.

Only when they have linear scripted SP tho.

Well, many souls clones literally have the same mechanics like collecting souls.

So a text adventure that has these elements is a GTA clone then?

So all linear scripted single player games are a COD ripoff?

So if they're not called souls are they not Dark Souls ripoffs, or is everything with a collectable currency from enemies a Souls ripoff then?

It might have a good storyline but you can't fix that combat.

What he's saying is somewhat wrong. There are attributes and your skills are derived from your class, race, and guilds.

ESO is far from perfect, but it's progression is much better than skyrim.

Also the DLCs are a pretty decent model for MMO questing.

Saints row has superpowers for the last 3 games.

i think it's too much trouble for developers to make tons upon tons of steaming shit, and then make it moddable enough for someone else to fix

Just admit that it's too difficult for you.

There is only one.
I want more.
I want all games to be souls clones

Two. There was Bloodborne and Lords of the Fallen.

Shame Lords of the Fallen wasn't all that good. It was just one reskin away from being the Warhammer Fantasy: Chaos Warrior the Dark Souls ripoff that I wanted.

Bloodbonre is a souls game, part of franchise.
You don't call that a clone.

Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe

Ugh, way to be a clone of

Dragon's Dogma could be counted as an Elder Scrolls clone, depending on how loose your definition of it is.

What are you saying?
In rare occurences a part of franchise has name that is different from the common naming line of that franchise.
You don't call Batonetta a DMC-clone or Risen a Gothic-clone, because they're parts of their franchises.

You have to let go
Its impossible to make a good game with modern technology

Bayo is called a DMC clone but that was because it was made by a different team than DMC, just like MN9 except Bayo is good

Confusion. What is a dark souls clone?

species alre

I've been waiting for this for so long it's not even funny

I want a souls-like experience

no, you. secondly a well designed small world beats an empty huge world every time of the day.

Mah nigga read the description for more, this is sorta MP focused though

Lords of the Fallen, Salt & Sanctuary, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight immediately come to mind. There's likely a bunch of lesser known titles as well though.

Just like your dick

oh shit

There was that sci-fi one the Germans were working on. Looked liked utter shit.

They don't pass quality control.

I dont understand the total absence of sims-clones these days.

It's a huge fucking market that's starting to become "untapped" so to speak as EA has been way too jewy with their latest installments to make even the worst kinds of casual soccer-moms steer away.

making interesting, sometimes pretty fantasy worlds to interact with and explore is whats wrong with the industry?

YES! We need more ww2 games!

Skyrim did the level scaling much better than oblivion, but there was still the draugr issue.

A week already? Oh shit my nigger

The only thing Elder Scrolls games have going for them is their moddability. As a standalone vanilla title, each game is pretty shit and there are better RPGs for that.

So to 'clone' the Elder Scrolls would be to make a shit game that can be modded to the extent to which you should have just made an engine alone or just.. mod Elder Scrolls so it isnt the same game.

So which Gothic should I play?

2 with expansion

Thankya m8

Probably because the AI is too complex. They have a kind of decision making system that isn't too easy to copy. It's not GOAP tier, but devs are just too lazy to copy it.

Nah, I could play vanilla Morrowind for hundreds of hours, didn't even bother to put a mod.

I LOVE the Elder Scrolls formula.

It is pretty strange that no competant developer has come forward to dethrone Bethesda. You wouldn't think it would be the hardest thing in the world to do.

Hey Todd, check my dubs

really? where? or you count all gtas from 1 to 5+dlc?
cod is the clone, son
kids being kids move along
whats that would be? a generic bad RPG?

GTA clones were more of a mid to late 00s thing. True Crime, The Scarface and Godfather games, Saints Row 1.

Daily reminder, Bethesda dethroned Id Software.

Are people this autistic??

You may call Elder Scrolls bad, but no way it's generic at all.

Not really.

Open world games are not easy to make. Bethesda has been working on them a loooong time. You need an an engine for one.

Making triple A games is expensive and takes years. Lots of studios have gone bankrupt over the years because of the insane costs. We're basically left with a handful of big studios for a reason.

I'm with you OP, I'd love to see more single player rpgs instead of all this multiplayer shit.

MOBAs and F2P MMOs is all we're gonna get though.

Damn it all to hell.

I'd also argue The Witcher.

>>>/reddit/

LotF is from the Sniper: Ghost Warrior (first game is 60% ultra-recoil assault rifle shooting) team.

Skyrim was also the product of learning from Fallout 3, which also did level scaling much better, except with replacing fun enemies like raiders with almost exclusively enemies on the tier of albino scorpions.

user please, being so self deprecating isn't healthy.

Except Bethesda suck at worldbuilding, so they're neither pretty nor interesting.

Skyrim is a white and brown wasteland walled in with gray rocks. Not open at all.

The characters are uninteresting and the dialogue tailored to simpletons.
That being said, Fallout dialogue is way worse, especially now with the "we mass effect now" simplified third person system.

If you want interesting world, at least reference such a game, and not one of Betheshits abominations.

It's time to stop posting, Todd.

someone will eventually make one with OpenMW: openmw.org/

fallout 3, new vegas, and fallout 4 are pretty close to elder scrolls RPGs for obvious reasons

I don't get it. When you have the skill to make a new game, why remake an old licensed game? Are there people who are this autistic?

I a kind of disagree with that. Morrowind has some of the best worldbuilding in a video game, but the writer only wrote for one game and left. From Oblivion to Fallout 4, it has been the same, Pete Hines approved writer. It's his fault the games have uninspired worldbuilding and dialogs.

Fallout 4 fixed it though with the densely packed world and jetpack. Now you can go absolutely anywhere. The problem is, there still isn't enough things to discover. I don't like this crafting system.

Screw worldbuilding though, I just want some walking simulator that isn't bland like minecraft clones.

What the fuck are you talking about? They're making an engine, not a game you stupid fuck.

Shitty clones? You mean that new Skyrim game everyone is talking about?

Yes, Morrowind was good.

But that's the exception to the rule.

Crafting and settlement building in Fallout 4 is shallow and an excuse to create "content" in an empty, lifeless world.

That's what nu-fallout drones actually believe.

Most advertised features are copout excuses to legitimize lazy writing, lazy design etcetra…
All the "muh content" bullshit is just an excuse to add empty features to a world that is fundamentally lifeless and soulless, devoid of any quality.

New Vegas is the only reasonably good Fallout game post FO2. Last good TES was Morrowind.

Bethesda can't be fixed. That's partly due to the devs that make up the studio now, but also due to the gaming industry generally being shit so that there are no consequences to putting out bad quality because MUH HYPE is what people are all about now and they'll throw money at worthless shit because they have no self respect.

Nah. That is a man in drag.

Good god, I wonder if Minecraft and TES alike could be un-shit-ed by combining them. Minecraft makes modding and autism somewhat more accessible, but lacks worthwhile content and professional assets; TES is at its core a hiking sim with filler miniquests in filler dungeons, but has inadequate pretensions of an actual plotted main quest and being an RPG.

I wonder if this is what Beth is thinking? If so, it would require a total engine change to do right. Hopefully somebody other than them will do it and purge two cancers simultaneously, some time before Dwarf Fortress is finished and gets a decent modern normalfag GUI.

they're making an engine that can run Morrowind, and a construction set. they plan to support features never supported by Morrowind's engine and construction set at some point. OpenMW is under the GPLv3 license, which means it is open source software, it is not under any license that Morrowind's engine used, its a clean reimplementation. if you wanted to you could make your own game with OpenMW and its construction set, right now the community is working on some freely licensed assets for people to make stuff with, and some example game.

I forgot about OpenMW, stopped paying attention a few years ago because it takes a goddamn long time to develop. I was thinking of Daggerfall unity.

Were FO1 and 2 really that good for you? I invested a good 50 hours into FO2, but I couldn't get over of how slow the combat was. Waiting for my turn takes forever especially when you fight against tens of enemies at once, there's no way to skip the animations. The isometric graphics and mouse controls are really, really uncomfortable too. And there's nothing I hate more than RNG+turn based mechanics. Sure the dialogs are well done and the setting is unique, but I don't get how Holla Forums could like this game more than New Vegas.

I think compared to Oblivion, FO3, and Skyrim, Fallout 4 is taking the right path by actually trying to be an action game and bringing back the focus of the game to exploration aspect. Yeah, the dialog system is bad, but Todd promised that he will get rid of it (Pete Hines, Todd's exec, likes it so much though, so don't put your hopes too high), and there's not enough unique items to be found. I think the home building and settlements system could use a bit polishing. But imo this game really is on the right track.

Crank up combat speed.

Dial back the autism and savescumming, play ironman. Seriously, just immerse yourself and get into character, the game isn't that unfair.

Already on the max.

Not just the RNG system is hard, it's also boring. Easy difficulty means less XP, which means MORE GRINDING.

m8 even if you use a cheat 10/10 character RNG can give you a crit instakill from supermutants wielding plasma rifles.

AYY LMAO

also Vampire: The Masquerade

another beth game

retard

wat?
TES clone

(Checked)
Depends, which one?
One of the major thing holding Skyrim back was the fact it's combat was utter shit and just a "Mash attack button" game where depending on who's DPS was higher, would always win.
Then there was magic which was also apparently shit from what i've heard but i'm no Mage user so I wouldn't know.
Seriously you could download hundreds of mods for the Elder Scrolls and no matter what you do, the combat will always hold it back.
Even the major Bethesda mod shill got tired of it.

Whoops, meant Skyrim, my bad.

Fallout 3 might be a TES clone, but it's made by beth too, so it can be classified as TES spinoff.

Like I said, you're retarded.

What, you didn't even post it. Also, it's open world is only STALKER tier from what I know.

Gotta agree with this user.

We had this thread last week, I think, and the consensus was that people should want to copy Bethesda's intent but not their execution, because Bethesda is a bunch of talentless hacks who make boring fucking worlds, terrible mechanics, and forgettable experiences.

Would I like more open world fantasy action RPGs with deep character customization, branching stories, choices that matter, NPC that actually interact with you and react to your actions? You're damned right I would!

Do I want Skyrim clones? FUCK NO.

SS/DS's direct ancestor, Ultima Underworld, was a strong influence on the original TES Arena.

but I never said anything about Fallout 3
Yes TES is simply a first person RPG. I imagine you never played Dagger Fall or Arena. TES was originally a Ultima Underworld clone. Most First Person MMO's are very similar to modern TES games. For example Fallen Earth is a Fallout 3 clone which I never mentioned because Bethesda.
look at the spoiler also Vampire: The Masquerade

No. If anything it's a M&B or Witcher clone.

Ultima Underworld was nothing more than a dungeon crawler with a bit of NPC interaction. Yeah, TES' combat was hugely inspired by Ultima Underworld, but I can argue that Bethesda's own 1990 game, The Terminator, has much bigger influence on TES' design. It has sandbox open world FPS gameplay and everything, even down to stealing items. Except dungeons and RPG mechanics though, they both are from Ultima.

Vamp the masquerade is not a tes clone. Its not even open world. Its pretty linear with amazing atmosphere and a great story.

WEW.

Fallout 4

Gothic is fucking shit anyway. It has a couple good quests, but everything from the gameplay mechanics to the setting to the designs are as generic as they come. There are also significantly more bugs than even the buggiest elder-scroll game and fuckall mods by comparison. Awful.

Two worlds at least tried, despite being pretty shit. It still had interesting mechanics, especially magic-wise. Too bad everything else was mediocre and forgettable.

That said, how is fallout 3 not literally an oblivion clone and fallout 4 not literally a skyrim clone?